"So you did this too when you were little?"

PDA

sm
February 24, 2007, 11:54 PM
The young lady and young man asked.

"Yep, sure did. How raised - what you do" - I replied.

Mentors & Elders that passed forward to me, had lots to share, including : don't learn on a crutch, 'cause if'n you lose that crutch and you will fall down.

Manual Typewriter is what I learned on back in the day.
Typing class only had two electric ones and after the basics were learned on the Manuals , two students at a time could take turns using these Electrics.
Best recall I used one once, I did not like the electric ones, darn things too "touchy" and how in the heck was I supposed to have an excuse of the "keys stuck" when the dad blasted thing had a ball with the letters on it?

Ironic, this morning Manual Typewriter again being used for something - special. Being honest, real glad it was.

See I am an older returning college student, taking IT classes.
I do a lot of "long distance learning" - meaning a lot of classes strictly online. The classes I do attend on campus, most of my textbook is online, assignments are submitted online, and all my quizzes and exams are online.
Except for practical labs, and I even practice these labs using a virtual lab.

Friday night swamped with tests and assignments - using Internet and Blackboard and WebCt, these "long distance learning tools".
My concerns were beating the weather fore cast for storms, power going out and Servers undergoing maintenance.

I finished and sure enough weather hit and all power is out.
I get power finally and lose it again, get it back in short order. I was up most of the night studying for exams I have to take Sunday.

Decided to just stay up and not go to bed when the clock said 4am.
about 5:45 am , I get an email inviting me for breakfast.

I can do breakfast and these kids are great kids. They have been a bit concerned with all the uproar about AWB-II, some writers and just general behavior of Firearm Owners.

Now the weather - hard rain, flooding in some parts, and the wind...oh my talk about the wind!
Tornadoes are a threat here, but me and my kind were just raised a certain way and live life anyway.
Meaning we were just raised with a certain mindset, learned some things, stock up and continue to practice these lessons.

Gas Stove, cast iron skillet and I really do make the "bestest scrambled eggs"
Lessons are passed forward to these kids and , made sense to make coffee in a steel percolator on the stove.
Bacon, scratch biscuits, gravy...
Some smells one cannot put into words, *sniff* *sniff* - you smell them smells don't you?

Weather got worse and the Oil lamps already out and handy, some flickering of lights, and battery back up radio mentioned watches for more tornadoes, and news about the ones that had hit.

Now I want you to picture a Pink Cricket, AR15, Browning Citori in 28 ga, 870 in 20 ga, 9x23 1911 Style Race gun, High Standard .22 set up for Bulls-Eye, Single shot .410, Various older S&W revolvers and...
That old Manual typewriter.

Desktop and laptop computers are off, printers too. There is list of People, to mail letters to in regard to AWB-II and other matters of Freedom. [Again, and in addition to previous ones]
Just don't need to take a chance with power going out and computers and such.

Letters printed up, just the envelopes had not been.
Manual typewriter typed envelopes. Envelopes were stuffed and stamps "stucked".
I sure with we had had these self stick stamps when I was a kid.

Kids assisted and had questions. Good questions, and some great interaction going on. Kids are not dumb and more folks would be wise to listen to kids.
All sorts of topics and concerns were shared by us adults including over the years:
Contacting folks in Politics, Elections, Bills coming up, Letters of Thanks, Gun Control ,Game & Fish Regs, Corp of Engineers...

Mentors said, it was about We The People, it was about human rights, it was for Freedom.
Mentors said history was full of People thinking they were better than others, trying to control folks and imposing their ideas onto others and not allowing others to have inalienable rights.

Kids wanted to make the Post Office run
and "you know that do-nut place is not too far away".
Dawg run over at the "do-nut" word, looked up, sat on haunches and barked and gave me a goofy grin.

I used the vehicle of the mom in the garage as it was WET outside! My truck was outside in the driveway.
Raining and wind and just a carrying on outside.

Good thing we put the letters in a plastic bag, I parked close to entrance and we literally waded into the Post Office, and got soaked.

Word do not express the look the kids had handing over these letters, or how I felt watching them.

Do-Nut place just happened to pull in front of us on the way back and that is another smell, that of a do-nut place on a morning like this. (okay anytime)

We got back and did hot chocolate on the stove, we adults had coffee and took turns tossing a do-nut hole to the dawg. He also likes a bit of black coffee with his do-nuts incidentally.

Weather getting nasty, watching the fire, listening to the kids reading Ruark's The Old Man And The Boy and I zonked out sitting in a recliner with a do-nut breath dawg in my lap.

"So you did this too when your were little?"
"Yep! "

Steve

If you enjoyed reading about ""So you did this too when you were little?"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mnrivrat
February 25, 2007, 12:33 AM
Stay safe in the storm Steve - and cumfy

Looks like I am in for the rest of the weekend here with snow building in the drive. Have some scrubbing to do on a couple of rifles and some prep work on packing for a visit with the brothers in AZ . Hope weather be better there in March.

Still nothing but cast iron skillet used here and the smells are indeed a memory that gives pleasure when eyes closed and looking back. Nothing like step'n into the house on a cold winter day with the smell of biscuts & bread perfuming the kitchen. Maybe some egg coffee simer'n on top of the wood stove.

Some great Idea's you have on how to further the cause's of firearm training and maintaining the RTKBA . Just a short Thanks ! from me to you for your contributions .

Keith

ArfinGreebly
February 25, 2007, 12:48 AM
Which typewriter?

Mine were Remington, Royal, and Hermes.

That Hermes had the finest light touch on a portable that I've ever found. Bought it in a second hand store. Gave it away before I realized I'd never find another.

* Sigh *

sm
February 25, 2007, 01:20 AM
This one is a Royal.

I am told manual typewriters are still selling well, especially the Portables.
Even in a high-tech world, there are places there is no electricity , no phones, cell phones will not reach, and other remote places within 1 hour from a big city.

I know of Missionaries and similar folks needing manual, and some for Security Reasons prefer a Manual Typewriter.

When in Key West, visit Hemingway's home, his Portable is there. I have seen pictures of Robert Ruark's Portable. I have a hankering for a new Portable myself...

Some things should be passed forward and not forgotten.

Fighting for Preserving Freedom.

How to eat do-nuts with black and red inked fingers messing with the ribbon.
:D

230RN
February 25, 2007, 02:04 AM
Ah, typewriters...

Had an ancient R.C. Allen which suffered under the power of my prose for many years. Quirk: if I hit a key extra hard at the end of the line, it would skip over the margin stop so I could finish the word without hitting the margin release. Horrible practice, hyphenating.

And when electrics came along, I too had trouble with my anticipatory finger movements toward the next key, which would give me an errro. Took a while to moderate my "reaching" for the key following the one I was in the act of depressing. At least with a manual, you could point at the mistake with pride and say, "There, see? I made that mistake! Not the machine!"

For a long time, I typed faster on any manual than on an electric, especially the "daisy wheel" type, which had a significant and disturbing delay as the wheel spun around to the desired letter.

The Selectric system was grand, though, and that's when my muscle-learning finally got adjusted to the softer touch of an electric. That was a great machine. Going for well over a grand, now, even the short-carriage ones.

Ah, bell, carriage return, nowadays "Enter" with no bell. Every once in a while I forget myself and say, "Now hit the carriage return" when I'm showing someone something and they look puzzled. "Oh, I mean the 'enter' key."

"Oh."

And lesson proceeds.

And the "enter" key now spits both the line feed and carriage return almost simultaneously. ASCII 27 + ASCII 10 + ASCII 27 + ASCII 13, if I recall without looking it up..

So the ASCII characters are still there, buried under the "secretary's" software.... And DOS is still down in there, under all the pretty visuals and buttons and the GUI controls, even though they've been trying to hide it deeper and deeper with each new Operating System.

Wonder where it is in Vista....?

Oh, there's a bell in there, too. ASCII 27 + ASCII 7.

Now it's a mere sickly beep, not the solid clear ding of a metal bell, which somehow gave one a tiny sense of accomplishment at the end of every line...

Ding.

sm
February 25, 2007, 04:23 AM
No absolutes in life.
About the only thing one can be assured of is; if something begins life, someday it will cease to live.

Time is too precious as one never knows how much they have, or the quality of the time they do have.

Yeah I was little once, now a bit bigger and no guarantee I will be here tomorrow. My Mentors & Elders were little once too, some lived longer than others and some had a better quality of life than others.

Why did one Mentor "hunt and peck" on a manual typewriter? He left his arm in a hellhole fighting for Freedom is why.
Still he would "hunt and peck" and contact Representatives about Preserving Freedom and Fighting Tyranny.

This Mentor was not bitter about losing his arm, instead grateful for still being alive and able to pass forward. Too many of his buddies did not make it back from that hell-hole where he left an arm.

Another Mentor, would attend meetings and express his views and ask questions about matters affecting Freedom.
Understand he did this being in a wheelchair, he left his legs in a hell-hole as well. This in a time before handicap accessible buildings as we have today.

Did not bother him one bit to be carried into a building and his wheelchair brought in. He had a role to do, that being Preserving Freedom, and passing forward.

Ladies were my Mentors as well. Some had been in conflicts as well and while some were whole, some were physically limited as well.

I was just a kid hanging out with Mentors & Elders. Sure getting to go shoot, fish or hunt was great! I was also just understood one had chores to do in life as well.
Does not matter what age, what gender, one just did the right things, and passed forward these things.

Even as kid some folks made excuses, and did not do the chores. Some thought they were better than others, some thought "what difference can little old me make?", others were just flat crooked , and against everything the way I was raised, Mentors & Elders were raise and folks that believed in Preserving Freedom.

I remember being where we normally would shoot. Instead of shooting, we were doing letters on typewriters, eating leftovers, and communicating the exchange of information.

Farmers, ranchers, school teachers, policemen , fireman, nurses, doctors, preachers, Veterans, hardware store owners, butchers, truck drivers...

Folks that shot Skeet, Trap, Bulls-Eye, Rifle Matches, hunted ducks, geese, small game, bird hunted, deer , turkey , trappers, fished...

It didn't matter if black , white, rich, poor, or what religion, or if you didn't have religion.
Freedom was Freedom for all folks.

I guess I just didn't know any better as I liked what these folks had and I wanted what they had.

I was not the only kid, other kids and I just did what we could being the size we were.
Seemed all of us kids looked forward to "outgrowing" the stamp licking part, even using a moistened sponge didn't "help".
Get to the envelope stuffing size and the darn paper cuts.
Get to the using the typewriter using stage, and carbon paper is messy, and danged old ribbons, just flat fussy at the wrong time.

Word is at around 3, I was real good at keeping the dogs entertained and not getting into too much trouble. Best I could do at that age, letting the bigger kids assist the adults.
Maternal Grandma, or one of the Mentors & Elders would see me over on the couch, on the floor , somewhere, curled up with the dogs, as we had played hard and just tuckered out. Be around 9pm and I'd get picked up and carried to a car to ride home, or carried down to my house and tucked in bed.

Typewriters and dogs mesmerizes a kid, or it did me. I did not understand what all was going on, but I sensed it was something good, and just did the best chores I could at the time.

They tell off on me and that box about as big as I was. Wooden ammunition box with rope handles and "we really need for that box to be moved over there".
It had supplies in it. I tugged, grunted, fell over backwards...got on the other side and pushed, slid , fell and skinned knees and hands...
I got this box "over there" , right proud of myself, and had me a seat.

Mentor got a kids typewriter, not sure what all I was typing, but I was sure banging away like the big folks with this typewriter on "my seat".

My "letter" even got put in an envelope. Don't matter if I later found out it never got a real stamp or mailed. At the time I felt pretty good I was doing something like the big folks.

That was me with two dogs looking on as I typed. :)

I shared that with the kids and they cracked up.

"You still have dogs look at you when you use a computer to type stuff, and they read the Internet with you too". said the kids with a chuckle.

How raised - what you do.

bumm
February 25, 2007, 12:08 PM
There's something about guns and typewriters that just go together. I don't really know why... maybe it's the mechanical aspect. Maybe it's sort of a self reliant thing... as pointed out, the power can fail and you're still in business.
I bought my first typewriter in the late 60's when I started college. I went to the Salvation Army warehouse, and they must have had 20 typewriters lined up on boards over sawhorses. Two or Three worked. I chose a Remington Standard 10 with little decorative gold and blue lines on it. It was so "wide open" you could put your arm all the way though the frame. For years, dirt and what looked like bird droppings fell out the bottom of the thing. I had to hit the keys hard enough that once I bounced a lamp off the end of my table while typing a term paper. It still works... it's on my desk at the office for those rare times I've just gotta use it. It just looks and feels like old times. There were problems back then, even big ones. But somehow, they were simpler.
Sometimes I can ramble off topic pretty badly. Us older guys'll do that...
Marty

If you enjoyed reading about ""So you did this too when you were little?"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!