KEL-TEC 308 Video

PDA

selector67
February 25, 2007, 06:36 AM
Seen this on YouTube, this gun is bad :cuss: unique ejection. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Xqa2vwq60

If you enjoyed reading about "KEL-TEC 308 Video" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
selector67
February 25, 2007, 06:39 AM
Seen this on YouTube, this gun is bad :cuss: unique ejection. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Xqa2vwq60

Nightcrawler
February 25, 2007, 07:41 AM
I love how a bunch of brass spits out when he reloads. It's like emptying the cylinder on a revolver. This rifle would be perfect in a movie. :cool:

Giolli Joker
February 25, 2007, 07:44 AM
Cool!

TIMC
February 25, 2007, 09:09 AM
I like! Also looks good for keeping spent brass in good shape for reloading. Some semi-auto's damage cases through ejection and cases can also be hard to find.
I want one even more now!

VirgilCaine
February 25, 2007, 09:13 AM
The idea is great, but that recoil looks pretty brutal to me. Anyone else think so?

JShirley
February 25, 2007, 09:33 AM
No. Hand-held .308s will move wafer-thin shooters. Notice how little muzzle rise there is.

John

BsChoy
February 25, 2007, 09:43 AM
very little muzzle flash for an 18 incher too

iamkris
February 25, 2007, 10:24 AM
The idea is great, but that recoil looks pretty brutal to me. Anyone else think so?

...not if you've ever shot any other .308. That is what you need to expect.

Which is a good demo of why the full auto M14 or FN-FAL wasn't such a good idea.

MrChicken
February 25, 2007, 10:55 AM
Interesting, is that a bullet dimple in the armor just above the bench?

Pax Jordana
February 25, 2007, 11:07 AM
I love the things they've done with the bullpup design. The only thing is, looking at the schematics on keltec.com I thought we'd see vigorous shell ejection. In the video it looks like the shells just kinna... fall out. I'm not sure how I'd feel about that - how easy would it be to clog the tube?

At any rate, I'm still saving my pennies.

MrChicken - it could be, or it could be an anchor point for the sound dampening material on the wall??

MechAg94
February 25, 2007, 11:27 AM
Good point. Very little muzzle climb or flash.
Looks like a very interesting gun. I don't really want another .308, but that one I might have to pick up.

I wonder if there is any chance of spent cases jamming up in that ejection chute.

GreenFurniture
February 25, 2007, 11:34 AM
Looks like Kel-Tec ripped off FN's F2000 design, cheapened it up and put it in a .308.

JShirley
February 25, 2007, 12:14 PM
Eh? The RFB is in a heavier caliber, attractive and more streamlined. It also has a great trigger. I totally see how you could come to that conclusion. :rolleyes:

Evil Monkey
February 25, 2007, 12:29 PM
:eek:

I'm definitely getting one.

Wes Janson
February 25, 2007, 03:47 PM
Looks like Kel-Tec ripped off FN's F2000 design, cheapened it up and put it in a .308.

If you look at a diagram of parts, or handle the trigger pack off of one, you'd know how ridiculously wrong that statement is. They both are bullpups with tubes along the barrel for brass ejection, that's about the only similarity between them.

The Grand Inquisitor
February 25, 2007, 05:17 PM
That video really sold me on the rifle.

Why are people upset about the spent cartridge ejection? It's funny how people can scream and moan about innovation, but when someone makes a rifle that uses a new feature, they get their panties in a bunch and clam up.

I highly doubt that the brass could clump together and cause a back up without some other foreign debris being involved.

I also really liked the way that all of the excess brass is ejected when the charging handle is actuated.

Ian
February 25, 2007, 05:58 PM
That basic ejections system worked just find on the Maxim and Vickers guns...

MachIVshooter
February 25, 2007, 06:57 PM
Hand-held .308s will move wafer-thin shooters. Notice how little muzzle rise there is.

The bore axis on the RFB isn't just low; it's FLAT. I'm betting the impulse is fairly stout from such a compact, 8 pound 7.62mm.

I still want one really bad, though. C'mon, K-T, get 'em out!

cajun47
February 25, 2007, 07:42 PM
do they make that in 7.62x39mm or 9mm?

mattw
February 25, 2007, 07:56 PM
Possibly the coolest looking rifle I've ever seen! I'm sold on this thing, sign me up!

Badger Arms
February 25, 2007, 08:13 PM
http://www.kel-tec.com/download.html

MCgunner
February 25, 2007, 08:43 PM
I still don't care for tacticool, but it does solve the problem of left handed shooters and bull pups without having to switch anything from one side to the other. Being a left handed shooter, I never gave a nit for the bull pup idea and really don't see the need other than it stores more compact than a conventional rifle. At least this one is in a decent caliber. .22s don't excite me and 7.62x39 is just a 30 caliber that's been castrated. I own a couple, but their ballistics don't impress me. .308 is a REAL rifle caliber. :D

PaladinX13
February 25, 2007, 08:43 PM
do they make that in 7.62x39mm or 9mm?Well it's not out yet, but they are considering the 7.62x39mm if the .308 sells well. I doubt there are any plans for a 9mm variant.

Smellvin
February 25, 2007, 09:00 PM
The only problem is that with all that metal blocking the chamber, it might be rather difficult to clear after a malfunction. If that's not an issue, I'd definitely like to get one.

Bigfoot
February 25, 2007, 09:06 PM
At civilian defensive ranges I'm sure it wouldn't matter if it's down loaded a couple hundred fps to reduce recoil.

Well it's not out yet, but they are considering the 7.62x39mm if the .308 sells well.

Got a link to that? It would show that Kel-Tec is planning a lighter, shorter action version. 6.5 Grendel would be the perfect cartridge for this Kel-Tec, just in case youre reading this. Please? :)

Apparently the barrel acts as the spine, this requires a stiff/heavy barrel. This and the extraction mechanism explains the weight. The only way that I can think of to cut weight off the gun is to machine the barrel down and carbon wrap all or part of it. Spendy, but the gun could then replace a hunting gun paying back part of the expense.

Dave R
February 25, 2007, 09:42 PM
As a reloader, I can say that ejection system makes semi-autos a lot more palatable. Finding brass ejected by a CETME requires a LOT of walking.

wally
February 25, 2007, 09:58 PM
You can find brass ejected from a CETME? You must work for NORAD :)

--wally.

mattw
February 25, 2007, 10:12 PM
Anyone know about if it will be truly ambi? Can we flip flop charging handle sides and whatnot, like the CX4?

Zundfolge
February 25, 2007, 10:39 PM
As a reloader, I can say that ejection system makes semi-autos a lot more palatable.
I see no reason why you couldn't hang a baggie apparatus of some sort off the front of it to collect the spent brass.

If the trigger is half as nice as it is claimed to be, I'll have to liquidate several guns and buy one when they come out.

PaladinX13
February 25, 2007, 11:00 PM
http://www.kel-tec.com/images/downloads/RFB_Flyer_SHOT_2007_web.pdf

mattw, the rifle is fully ambi as is, with controls on both sides. A Kel-Tec rep (the second shooter featured in the video) posts at ktog.org under "ktwm" with all sorts of information. Some excerpts:

-3 Versions: Carbine (18" barrel), Sporter (24" barrel), and Targer (32" heavy barrel).
-chrome lining is likely for the chamber and bore on the carbine, and only the chamber for the target and sporter model though this is not set in stone.
-All versions have threads to mount a free-floating 4 sided picatinny rail (carbine model has a shorter rail available) or bipod mounts, or bayonet lugs on the carbine.
-Safety lever, mag release, and bolt stop are fully ambidextrous.
-the operating handle reciprocates with the action and can be easily moved to either side of the rifle (I think I can do it in 5 seconds using only a cartridge as a tool)
-Field stripping is also fast and easy and only requires the use of a cartridge to press out the 2 captured assembly pins. these 2 pins are then pulled out, grip assembly is rotated down, rear cover is pulled straight out, carrier is pulled back, operating handle is removed and then carrier is slid out.
-dual recoil springs are full captured. Bolt is captured but can be rotated away from the carrier for cleaning and to remove the firing pin pin, which releases the firing pin. the dual extractors are not removed for fieldstripping but can be fully accesed and cleaned.
-to clean the gas system and ejector chute you again use a cartridge to depress the captured assembly pin at the front of the rifle, pullout the pin, rotate the forend down, pull the ejector chute straight out which removes the clip form the gashead. pull the piston pin, then pull the piston out.
-gas operation is achieved using a captured short-stroke piston with sealing rings and a detented adjustable gas vent.
-threads on the end of the barrel are 5/8-24
-The 5 way adjustable trigger will come standars on the 32" barrel target model. the other 2 models will have the EXACT SAME TRIGGER MECHANISM, but the adjustability will be removed. (they will still be very good triggers). the adjsutable trigger group will be available for purchase.
- the 5 adjustments on the trigger are: forward stop, rear stop, trigger spring pressure, sear trip stop, and sear trip spring pressure.

---
He's been very responsive to reader comments and questions (with in reason, of course) and has suggested the next video... well, I'll let you read his post:

all the coments that are posted here (and other places) will be taken into account when the next video is made and released. I don't know when that will be, but there will be another video. (probably months from now)

some of the things which will most likely be in the next video are:

Left and right handed shooting
ejection chute obstruction
clearing the weapon and verifying an empty chamber
angled up ejection
different barrel length shooting
disassembly/reassembly
and whatever else might come up.
----

I'm very interested in this rifle, my only reservation (besides timing and price) is with the gun built entirely around the barrel... what happens if you shoot out the barrel?

mattw
February 25, 2007, 11:05 PM
Can't wait for the next video!

ArchAngelCD
February 26, 2007, 12:34 AM
While the recoil doesn't look any worse for the most part that any other .308, how many times have you "double-taps" out of your .308 hunting rifle?? LOL

You know they are going to feel that the next day big time but IMO, WELL WORTH IT!!!

mattw
February 26, 2007, 12:38 AM
I just hope I can get one of these things in my safe before HR 1022 or something similar gets passed.

Start writing letters and sending e-mails and calling and faxing your representatives! If we don't defeat this anti-gun crap none of us will have a Kel-Tec 308!

Zundfolge
February 26, 2007, 02:09 PM
I looked all over KelTec's site and didn't find anything, but does anyone know the ETA on these things?

As has been stated, they really need to get these things out in the market before another AWB (that and I need to know when I need to start selling stuff so I can afford one)

Ian
February 26, 2007, 02:32 PM
A year from this past SHOT Show is the release date I've heard.

Texfire
February 26, 2007, 02:47 PM
Very interesting. I like the innovation and as a lefty shooter I'd be more likely to buy their bullpup instead of the FS2000 as I prefer to buy American when possible, and I suspect it will be more reasonably priced.

I also appreciate a manufacturer who doesn't see the need to reinvent the wheel, and uses existing mags for their firearms. I'm still waiting for a Sub2000 that uses High Power mags, though I'm starting to prefer one chambered in .45 ACP that uses XD45 mags. ;)

I hope that if the RFB is successful they would consider coming out with other models in 7.26x39, 5.56 and other intermediate rounds.

Tex

Bazooka Joe71
February 26, 2007, 03:26 PM
Definately would be nice for reloading...I wonder if it jams easily?

hso
February 26, 2007, 04:42 PM
Welcome to THR Smelvin.

Geno
February 26, 2007, 04:51 PM
Must...have...Kel-Tec! :what:

Doc2005

Bazooka Joe71
February 26, 2007, 06:50 PM
How much are they?

PaladinX13
March 2, 2007, 08:51 PM
" If any of you want to see the RFB up-close and are in the central florida area, I will be bringing one to the Florida PLR bash at the Hernando Sportsmans Club this Sunday. I'm sure pictures and probably video will be posted later.

more info about the fun-shoot can be found here:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=2502;action=display;num=1165014363"

If you enjoyed reading about "KEL-TEC 308 Video" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!