AR Brands

February 25, 2007, 02:56 PM
I'm looking at getting my first AR. My first inclination is to go with Rock River - I've heard lots of good things about them and like their 1911s. I've also been told the Stag is a great gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR Brands" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
February 25, 2007, 03:03 PM
Depends on what you want. I built my first AR using a Stag lower and a CMMG upper. I thought real hard about getting a RRA upper, but what I really wanted was a midlength upper with a chrome lined 1:7 twist barrel. RRA didn't have one, but CMMG did.

Bartholomew Roberts
February 25, 2007, 03:29 PM
I'd worry less about the brand and more about the dealer. Buy from a good dealer who you trust and who stands behind the products he sells and almost any AR brand will do OK.

I only consider brand names to the extent that I look for a brand that has all the options I want in one package just to save time.

February 25, 2007, 03:43 PM
The finest AR I ever got my grubby little paws on was the Colt Delta Hbar in the nice aluminum case. Just like the one in the attached picture.

February 25, 2007, 03:50 PM
Not really an AR person but here's my experience/opinion.

I've shot Armalite
I've shot Eagle
I've shot Bushmaster
I've owned/shot an older Colt Sporter II Green Label (traded it on a jeep, wish I still had it).

There was something different about the Colt. I can't quite put a finger on it, but it was better. Sub MOA with a chrome lined bore helped. The appearance, the way things fit, the way it shot, etc. etc.

You should be able to pick up one of those lightly used for under $1000. Given the choice between a new AR for about the same money, and the old Colt, I'd buy the old Colt. People make out like they're big money, but when I was selling mine, it ended up being about a $850-$900 dollar rifle.

Also, I wouldn't personally get a Whizbang Tacticool Uber Carbine. I'd get a 20" A2. The Colter Sporter II is about as close to an M16 as you can get.

February 25, 2007, 04:28 PM
What atblis said!:) Acvoid the teenage "Tacti-Kool" krap and you will have a nice rifle. All you need are a few extra magazines, a sling, and if you want it, an optical sight.

You don't need a flashlight, spotlight, floodlight, laser, vertical foregrip, mud flaps or raccoon tail.:p

I own a Colt SP1 sporter and a Bushmaster Dissapator. Buth top of the line guns. I also own a DPMS LR-308AP4 in 7.62X51 NATO.

I am very impressed with the quality of the DPMS. They are a bit less pricey thasn the Colt or Bushie, but IMHO, just as high in quality.

OTOH the Colts and Bushmasters hold their resale value a bit better.

February 25, 2007, 05:33 PM
I have a RRA & a CMMG/Superior and have had really good luck w/ them both. I have friends/ shooting buddies w/ Bushmaster, STAG, DPMS and Ameetec that have also had good luck.
I'm learning ARs & AR building is like 1911s and all the suppliers you find for those guns :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "AR Brands" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!