I hate guns

PDA

popeye
January 6, 2003, 08:41 PM
They're putting me in the poorhouse. I won an auction on a S&W on gunbroker. So today I go to my FFL/shopowner to pick up a copy of the FFL to send to the guy I'm buying from. Low and behold,,,,he has a 97% Colt Mustang PlusII for $300. Now I'm out for 2 guns. Fortunately Alpo is cheap and doesn't taste too bad with hot sause.

If you enjoyed reading about "I hate guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
iamhistory
January 6, 2003, 08:44 PM
popeye..........I hear your noise!!

you can come to my house...........I'm living high on the hog with instant mac & cheese and 16 cent packets of Ramen noodles!!

I'm malnourished, but hey......you should see my gun safe!

QB
January 6, 2003, 09:38 PM
popeye -- Alpo may be good but there's nothing like Fancy Feast & a little Cilantro Pace Picante Sauce. :uhoh:

iamhistory -- I just picked up a "24 Pak" of the creamy chicken Ramen noodles. Guess what's for supper for the next month. :what:

J.Gillespie
January 6, 2003, 09:45 PM
Popeye...I will gladly send ya some spinach. :D You made the right decision in buying the Colt also. Hey...who needs nurishment anyways? right?

cratz2
January 6, 2003, 10:11 PM
...& a little Cilantro Pace Picante Sauce.

Yeah, but who could afford premium picante sauce AND popeye's gun buying spree?

popeye
January 6, 2003, 10:38 PM
Ramen.......I'm an old fart with high blood pressure. Check the sodium on Ramen. 2400 grams = 1 teaspoon. Thanks for the thought though. For those who can indulge.

http://mattfischer.com/ramen/recipe.html

agony
January 6, 2003, 11:53 PM
Water.

Lettuce or cabbage.

Little packets of ketchup.

Enough energy left to walk to the gunstore and buy ammo.

gbelleh
January 7, 2003, 12:42 AM
I (unexpectedly) bought my USP 45 Compact and my Bushmaster XM-15 on the same day. Later that week I resorted to putting packets of Taco Bell hot sauce on my spaghetti! :(

BLiTzNicK
January 7, 2003, 02:13 AM
Hey, I think most of us could cut back drastically on the amount of food we ingest, and still live happily.

hansolo
January 7, 2003, 02:51 AM
If the tires are nearly bald on your pickup, you put-off getting your teeth cleaned, yet you think nothing of buying an extra 1,000 rounds of ammo each month "just in case", you MIGHT be a gun nut.:neener:

Kahr carrier
January 7, 2003, 09:07 AM
Might be a Gun Nut ,wow none of those around are there????:neener:

ruger357
January 7, 2003, 11:29 AM
I hate them too. Can't walk in my local gunshop without getting the shakes.:evil:

KMKeller
January 7, 2003, 11:33 AM
You guys are scaring me...:eek:

popeye
January 7, 2003, 12:06 PM
I think my problem is the classic Smiths n Colts are going up in price and while they're out there, they're being snapped up pretty quick. So when I run across a nice one I buy it. I justify it by saying it's an advance birthday present to myself. I'm up to year 4031 now.

I'm off to my gunsaholic anonomoose meeting now, see youn's later.

MJRW
January 7, 2003, 12:09 PM
We need to start a fund for malnourished firearm junkies. Maybe a rehab center with a range with rentals all with bad triggers and poor sights. Someone needs to help these junkies...I guess I'm included, too.

yzguy
January 7, 2003, 12:10 PM
I'm living high on the hog with instant mac & cheese and 16 cent packets of Ramen noodles!!

ahh Ramen.... the poor college students friend. What you buy when you have $4 to eat on for 4 days until you get paid.... (been there :))

PATH
January 7, 2003, 02:12 PM
HI! My name is PATH and I'm a gunaholic. I know it may sound facetious but for some of us gun buying becomes an addiction. I have to be very careful or I'll spend money on guns that I should not be spending. The wife then gets really........well you know....

It can be cured I am told. I really don't want to cured and still sneak gun goodies into the house. I just can't help myself! I guess there are worse things..........

Don Gwinn
January 7, 2003, 02:26 PM
I eat a LOT of game. And when I say a LOT, I mean a LOT. :D

RustyHammer
January 7, 2003, 03:39 PM
I feel your pain, pass the Tabasco!

Gwinn: "Eat a lot of game" ... I tried that years ago, but the cardboard kept getting stuck in my teeth! :rolleyes:

4v50 Gary
January 7, 2003, 05:20 PM
Gun rich, cash strapped and after years of it, still at the same place (except there's more guns now). Anybody want a new forum: Gunaholics? We can run it like an AA meeting.

"Hi, I'm Gary!" "Hi Gary!" "I'm a gunaholic. I buy too many guns."
At that point, we get into 9mm v. 40 v. 45 acp (or semis v. revolvers or pump v. semi-auto shotguns or whatever) and it goes downhill as we adjourn to shoot at the range.

Trisha
January 7, 2003, 06:01 PM
That, and we buy dry goods in bulk (and I do mean bulk, to the tune of 1,200lbs every couple years), I'd be in exactly the same situation...

And my wish list is rather huge.

I don't have a fixation on clothes or shoes (and living up here there's no need) - so I just have to ration myself to about once a month to go to the nearest addiction center, ah, gun store.

Coping with a $2,000 a year allowance is so very hard...

:D

I could easily spend 10X that much, left to my own devices (and somebody elses Platinum Card)!

Trisha

popeye
January 7, 2003, 07:46 PM
Almost as we speak like 15 mins. ago, I get a call from same store I bought from yesterday. (I kid you not) "I just took in a 4" blue mod 57", you want it?, says the voice on the phone. Fortunately I'm not into .41 mag.. I'm on the road to recovery. But you know....I never had a .41...........

Rifleman 173
March 29, 2008, 02:10 AM
Hi. My name is Carl and I am a gun junkie. I... (bows head)... have 4 AR-15 rifles in one form or another. I'm now planning to get my 5th one soon. I'm trying to trick :evil: my wife into letting me get another one by means of devious tactics of some sort. I have it bad. Really bad! But you know what? I do NOT want to be cured. I love my addiction. I want even MORE of them. I plan to buy them ALL!!! Yes...(foam drooling from the mouth)... all of them!! Now!! I want :cuss: them all NOW!!!

Wheeler44
March 29, 2008, 02:34 AM
Hi may name is Rufus P. Wheeler and I am a reformed gun junkie. The path to recovery lies in following these 12 steps.

1. Take your least favorite gun and send it to GUNLOVERS Anonymous c/o R.P Wheeler

2. Take your most favorite gun and send it to GUNLOVERS Anonymous c/o R.P. Wheeler

3. Round up all ammo for the above mentioned guns and send it to GUNLOVERS Anonymous c/o R.P. Wheeler

4. Round up all of your accessories for the above mentioned guns and send them to GUNLOVERS Anonymous c/o R.P. Wheeler

5. Acknowledge a higher power by sending another gun to R.P Wheeler

6. Make amends with your past by sending a gun to R.P Wheeler

7. Welcome change into your life by sending a gun to R.P. Wheeler

8. Dig deep into your past, reflect on the behavior that brought you this place in your life and send a gun to R.P Wheeler

9. Ask forgiveness by sending a gun to R.P Wheeler

10. Send a gun to R.P Wheeler

11. Send another gun to R.P Wheeler

12 Finally send any other guns you may have to R.P Wheeler

Follow these 12 steps and you will be cured..............or at least have more room in the safe.

Shoot safe

Wheeler44

MaterDei
March 29, 2008, 02:38 AM
If you can still afford the canned stuff you're doing just fine. The dry Ol Roy is nasty!

TimboKhan
March 29, 2008, 02:49 AM
Joke if you will, but I have been reduced to eating nothing but ramen on occasion because of guns. You would never know that from looking at me, but I ate, literally, nothing but three ramens a day for weeks in order to own a 1911.

steelyblue
March 29, 2008, 02:49 AM
My credit cards aren't maxxed out, yet, so I'm OK..........Right:banghead:

nwilliams
March 29, 2008, 03:12 AM
I feel your pain, I've spent more on guns in the past few years than I care to eve admit. My income certainly isn't as good as I wish it were and I'm still buying guns whenever I come across a deal that is just too good to pass up. Still I'm not married and have no children, that says a lot.

If I sold all the guns in my collection I could buy a decent used car, right now I'm driving a ten year old car and my gun collection is easily three or four times its worth. I'm trying to cut back on my impulse buying and think more carefully about what I purchase. I'm still trying to build that perfect collection and despite having dozens of guns I still feel like I'm a long way from that goal. Still so far this year I've purchased three guns and I'm very pleased with those.

I don't hate guns, I just hate what they cost:banghead:

Mortech
March 29, 2008, 03:18 AM
Ol Roy is NOT nasty , you just have to let it soak overnight first .....Hmmph

Grandpa Shooter
March 29, 2008, 03:23 AM
When the VA cuts off your disability pension in January to collect money they claim you owe them because they lost the paperwork you sent them, and then you find out you have a heart condition and spend money you don't have to get an opinion from a private cardiologist so that you can go back and get the VA to pay for tests, and then have them tell you to go home and wait (but don't do anything strenuous) for them to call, and you stillgo out and buy a gun, then you are "hooked on guns".

Don't ask me how I know:evil:

Hunter0924
March 29, 2008, 03:45 AM
I feel yall's pain. I have skipped work to hunt wheel weights.
I would rather shop for powder than groceries.

alaskanativeson
March 29, 2008, 08:22 AM
you can come to my house...........I'm living high on the hog with instant mac & cheese and 16 cent packets of Ramen noodles!!

Go to Costco or Sams and pick up a big bottle of crushed red pepper. Sprinkle in a generous amount as you add the hot water. It makes them tolerable.

Last week I bought a car on ebay. I justified it to my wife by explaining that the car cost less than half as much as I've spent on guns in the last two weeks. It didn't go as well as I had hoped, but she still loves me.

Guitargod1985
March 29, 2008, 01:44 PM
Last week I bought a car on ebay. I justified it to my wife by explaining that the car cost less than half as much as I've spent on guns in the last two weeks. It didn't go as well as I had hoped, but she still loves me.

That's a good one.

I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only one who has nearly starved after an impulsive gun purchase.

One time I had to walk a mile and a half to take the bus to work and school for four days because I couldn't afford the gas to drive.

Walkalong
March 29, 2008, 01:51 PM
Later that week I resorted to putting packets of Taco Bell hot sauce on my spaghetti!

Completely understandable. :uhoh:

bakert
March 29, 2008, 02:08 PM
Hell, all of you young fellers got it made. I'm old, retired, and married to an old woman who thinks that SS monies should be used for food, clothing, shelter and other things she considers as necessities! Y'all don't have a clue how innovative and sneaky I've got to be too get a new gun occasionally!!:D

DougDubya
March 29, 2008, 02:28 PM
Go to Costco or Sams and pick up a big bottle of crushed red pepper. Sprinkle in a generous amount as you add the hot water. It makes them tolerable.

I dunno. I've tried Ramen Spicy Beef, and that really has some flavorful pop in the taste buds. It ain't Wasabe, but then, what is?

The Bushmaster
March 29, 2008, 03:39 PM
Between my horses and my guns I join the horses quite often and have grass and water right with them...I'm down to 145 lbs now...And my safe is up by 30 lbs...

MT GUNNY
March 29, 2008, 07:18 PM
Lost my job a few months back with in the first two weeks I had bought a DPMS lower and parts a Browning Buckmark and a VTR 22.250?

bfox
March 29, 2008, 08:08 PM
Popeye you got to Have PRIORITIES Man !

Sounds like you got them straight . :D

Doc says I am to fat guess I aint buying enough guns . :)

Bill

steelyblue
March 29, 2008, 08:24 PM
Four guns in six months is making my old belts look like T-bone steaks!

Im283
March 29, 2008, 08:39 PM
I dunno how you all afford to go to Taco Bell to get the sauce packs. Plain old noodles for dinner here.

I have found it is better to go ahead and buy the gun and then ask the wife to forgive me for it then to tell her about it ahead of time.

steelyblue
March 29, 2008, 09:19 PM
That is the only way to go, Im283.

bannockburn
March 29, 2008, 10:50 PM
HaHa, you guys are too funny; ramen noodles and taco sauce packets. You've got to have a plan first before you go on these gun buying sprees.

First: You must only deal in cash; no C.C., no next months S.S. check; only cold hard cash. Rolled coins or whole coin collections are also acceptable. Don't be embarassed checking through couch cushions whenever you go out somewhere, for loose change.

Second: Check out your own body; are there any organs that your not using that could be sold for cold hard cash? Do you really need two kidneys? How about your lungs; do you smoke (double bonus for this one in that you also save money by not smoking)? Never underestimate the savings you can realize from DIY home surgery and a stapler.

Third: Since your spending more time (and money), on guns, do you really need that big screen tv, and that expensive cable/satellite bill? Indoor plumbing, water bills, and sewer service are highly overated; think about rainwater barrels and porta potties. Try using public restrooms as much as possible.

Fourth: Think about a truly alternative lifestyle; a Sunday newspaper and a roll of duct tape can recreate some of the latest fashion designs, at a fraction of their cost. Also consider large sheets of cardboard as a source of remodeling material, in place of the more extravagant lumber and drywall materials.

Plan ahead and you'll soon be on your way to saving all that cash for your next gun buying expedition.

alaskanativeson
March 29, 2008, 11:30 PM
By the way, the vehicle I bought is a 1971 International Harvester Travelall. It's a great vehicle, one of the things I really like to see is that there are gun racks in both rear windows. I believe it'll have a happy new home living in the mountains of Colorado during the summers when I'm not teaching up here.

nitestocker
March 29, 2008, 11:56 PM
ill give you a month supply of ramon and kibble and bits for the colt mustang :D im here for you . but all bs aside the last week ive bought or traded ammo for a benneli 20 nova a browning buck mark and a ruger 10/22 pay day not for 8 days and im trying to trade for a glock 20 i need a meeting ;)

DougDubya
March 30, 2008, 12:02 AM
Guys. Don't forget the economy stimulus check.

$300 is enough for a Sigma and two magazines, and one of everything from the local burger joint dollar menu.

And yes, I am Satan.

wmeSha
March 30, 2008, 12:12 AM
I'm pretty much there with bannockburn, at least on the cash point. Every gun that's ever come home with me began as 100's in my pocket. Sometimes I've saved up and carried the 100's around for quite a while before I found what I wanted, but that's how it has always gone. If I've been setting aside cash, I generally don't feel guilt when the purchase comes along.

Quoheleth
March 30, 2008, 12:13 AM
For something different, boil the ramen noodles w/1/3 of the water (may have to add a little, just to keep 'em moist) with flavor pak. Drain noodles, reserving flavored water. Sautee' noodles in a frying pan with a splash of oil. Then, after nicely browned, add reserved water back to hot skillet. Bingo! Quoheleth's Ramen Lo Mein noodles.

For DeLuxe meal, add cabbage while sauteeing.
For UberDeluxe meal, add canned Alpo or Fancy Feast when adding reserved water.

If too many Ramen meals leaves you feeling...well...like you have a squib load in your guts, add plenty of extra crushed red pepper (walk in to a pizza place; tell 'em you forgot toask for some for your pizza - just forget to mention WHEN that was). Be aware of flame cutting, muzzle blast, and recoil.

Q

bannockburn
March 30, 2008, 11:43 AM
wmeSha

All joking aside, I was actually a compulsive gun buyer many years ago. Bought, sold, and traded primarily on impulse, just for the thrill of the deal. When I needed to make up the difference, I just put it on my credit card. It got to be truly overwhelming. Finally I called it quits on the plastic and went to a cash only based aquisition plan. If I didn't have the cash saved up, the deal wouldn't happen. I've walked away from some really nice guns because I didn't have the cash means to pay for it. But I feel better now with what I have than what I was like before when I was wheeling and dealing.

foreveryoung001
March 30, 2008, 12:09 PM
I think you're all missing the big picture here. It's obvious that this gun-loving fascination has lead to some pretty sparse diets, and perhaps some...... weight loss?!?!?!?

Picture it:

Late night infomercial... The Gun Lover's Diet. Lose weight while you are making yourself and your family more secure. This is not a pill, or some strict exercise routine. Its simply the most effective way to lose weight while collecting firearms of all shapes and sizes. Call now, and we'll send you a free gift, the book: How To Eat Ramen For a Month... But Still Make it Fun.
Just listen to this testimonial from an actual client:

"I was a but skeptical at first, but now I'm a believer. I've lost 87 pounds but am well prepared for anything from WWIII to Mutant Biker Zombies. Thanks Gun Lover's Diet!.......... and as soon as I can build up enough strength in my highly malnourished body, I'm heading back to the gun store to drop a couple more pounds"

Think about it guys. They send in $29.95 for this cutting edge (reverse pun intended) diet and then we get to go to the gun store and still eat dinner....

DougDubya
March 30, 2008, 01:13 PM
Foreveryoung - WHERE can I sign up for that diet?

steelyblue
March 30, 2008, 04:16 PM
It's good to here that most of you guys can still pay your water bill!!! I have to eat my ramen dry. I just eat the thing like a ricecake and pour the flavoring down my throat. I would have paid my water bill, but a Hi Point caught my eye!!!!:banghead: I need a meeting:banghead:

DougDubya
March 30, 2008, 04:36 PM

I used to eat Ramen dry. But I sprinkled the flaoring on top.

Quoheleth
March 30, 2008, 05:06 PM
It's good to here that most of you guys can still pay your water bill!!! I have to eat my ramen dry. I just eat the thing like a ricecake and pour the flavoring down my throat.

You still got a throat? I sold mine to science to fund a Smith 5" 10-5 at the local pawn shop. Still got teeth to chew? Sold mine on g-bay for a couple pounds of AA#5. And typing is a lot harder since I traded a fellow my two middle fingers for a spare 1911 mag.

:neener:

Q

DougDubya
March 30, 2008, 05:55 PM
Q - did you walk uphill in the snow two miles both ways without feet to do that too? :D

steelyblue
March 30, 2008, 06:01 PM
LOL!!!!!!! Some are sicker than others!!!:what:

mbs357
March 30, 2008, 06:01 PM
Boy it really sucks to be me. I live off instant noodles too, but not because I spend all my money on guns.
:(

Quoheleth
March 30, 2008, 08:19 PM
Q - did you walk uphill in the snow two miles both ways without feet to do that too?

WALK???? How on earth am I supposed to walk .....:p

Q

DougDubya
March 30, 2008, 10:30 PM
;) Q. ;)

TimboKhan
March 30, 2008, 11:40 PM
If I sold all the guns in my collection I could buy a decent used car, right now I'm driving a ten year old car and my gun collection is easily three or four times its worth

Dude, I am exactly the same as you, except my truck is now 14 years old. Moreover, when I contemplate buying a new vehicle, the first two things that come to mind are

1. Will it fit me? (I am a big guy, it's an issue)
2. Can I haul guns in it easily?

I have very honestly contemplated a VW Camper van so that I can go to the range and shoot in luxury, even napping if I do desire.

Confederate
March 31, 2008, 12:09 AM
I find most fast food managers are gun enthusiasts. When you show them your gun, it's amazing how much food and money they'll give you. They're pretty nice fellers.

I wouldn't worry about starving with such nice people around....

makarovnik
March 31, 2008, 03:39 AM
Better than investing in the stock market (unless you invested in S&W, Ruger, or Springfield).

The Bushmaster
March 31, 2008, 01:07 PM
TimboKahn...Sounds to me like you both already have used cars...Why would you want another one...Go buy a new or use gun instead...::D:evil::D

If you enjoyed reading about "I hate guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!