The JC Higgins Model 31

PDA

1KPerDay
February 26, 2007, 06:24 PM
No?

Okay...:D

If you enjoyed reading about "The JC Higgins Model 31" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jrfoxx
February 27, 2007, 07:45 AM
I have a J.C Higgins model 42, is that close enough?:D

Bullet Bob
February 27, 2007, 11:16 AM
I have a 31; can I be Vice-President of the club?

1KPerDay
February 27, 2007, 01:08 PM
You're in, Bob. You're in charge of the yearly banquet. :D

BTW I assume you've cleaned the inside of the receiver... I recently cleaned mine for the first time (second-hand gun, and I haven't shot it in about 10 years because the last time I did the extractor decided to vacate the bolt). I had cleaned the barrel and action as well as I could without field stripping but I didn't have a manual and didn't want to break anything.

Well, long story short, I have never seen more gunk, grit, sludge, and general funk as I found in the trigger group and action of my 31. Holy smokes.

I tried Hoppe's, I tried a toothbrush, I tried q-tips, I tried scraping it out with a screwdriver, I tried brake cleaner:eek: ... I worked on it for about 2 hours in all until it was clean enough that I wasn't embarrassed to be associated with it.:D

I still couldn't get all of the crud out of the receiver, partially because of the horrible design. Lots of little shelves, nooks and crannies in there... not to mention the back right of the receiver is completely open to the wooden stock!:scrutiny: I was dumbfounded by that design decision.

Pity, because I personally find this rifle to be one of the more graceful designs in .22 semis. I love the triangular-cross-sectioned palm swell in the forend, and the thin (and fragile, I'm sure) wooden slats that extend to the rear of the receiver. It handles and balances beautifully for me, and I love the overall lines of the rifle.

Now if I could only find the proper extractor... I'm not sure if mine is a single or double claw. I suspect the latter but I don't want to guess wrong and order the wrong part (which I've done three times for other guns).

Also, am I right in my observation that the only serial numbers are INSIDE the receiver, on the top? That's the only place I've found any numbers...:uhoh:

MustangHowie
April 9, 2007, 09:50 AM
I just picked up a model 31 the other day. Thought it looked like an interesting design. The spring for the retractable sling is broken but i will fix that. I went out and shot it and after about 10 rounds it quit working. Tore it apart and found that the sear spring gave out. Being a bit impatient and not wanting to have to find the part and then have to wait for it to be shipped I scounged around the house until I found something to fit. After a bit of fitting on a spring from a garage door opener I am back to running. What a shooter. Now to find parts for the sling.

1KPerDay
April 9, 2007, 02:54 PM
Wow... you want to make a slide stop spring for my Browning Challenger out of a coat hanger or something? I haven't been able to get anything to work.:D :cool:

MustangHowie
April 9, 2007, 05:21 PM
I don't know about the coat hanger thing, but I did fix my retactable sling by using a 12' tape measure. $1 at Harbor Frieght. Now maybe I will find an old Sears scope for it.

Niner
April 9, 2007, 07:59 PM
This anything like the others mentioned. It is a .22 sold through Sears years ago.

1KPerDay
April 9, 2007, 08:25 PM
That's the one... I can't remember the difference between the 29 and 31. Caliber, perhaps? The 31 will shoot high-vel short, long, and long rifle. And it came with a crappy scope, as I recall.

MechAg94
April 9, 2007, 10:04 PM
Not sure what those numbers are, but I have a nice JC Higgins 12 gauge pump that I bought cheap and heavily used. It work great and shoots good.

Niner
April 10, 2007, 12:10 AM
The 29 will shoot long rifle only. Neat little rifle. I like the triangular thickness of the barrel stock grips which fits really good in the hand. Difficult to take down and give a good cleaning but not impossible.

1KPerDay
April 10, 2007, 02:24 PM
I like the triangular thickness of the barrel stock grips which fits really good in the hand.
I agree. The stock feels really good in my hands. Takedown was okay... it was cleaning the inside of the receiver that was more difficult than most, due to all the ledges, nooks and crannies.

I need to find an extractor for mine one of these years...

BummerBob
February 3, 2008, 01:20 AM
Anyone have a j c higgins model 31 receiver for sale?

CBS220
February 3, 2008, 01:22 AM
I have a 31. Learned to shoot on that thing.

1KPerDay
March 4, 2008, 02:37 AM
Cool. Welcome to the club. Here's your membership badge and information packet.:D

eng23ine
March 4, 2008, 03:41 AM
I have a J.C. Higgins model 25, can i join? It belonged to my Grandpa, no telling how old it is.

vzenmn
March 4, 2008, 03:44 AM
Does a JC Higgins model 41 count?

Bullet Bob
March 4, 2008, 04:33 AM
I have one, many cool elements. I disassembled it to try and take a picture of the trigger group for someone, and a day later found a pin on the floor of my junk, uh, gun room. Been afraid to shoot it ever since!

1KPerDay
March 4, 2008, 02:05 PM
Take it apart again and see if there are any pins missing... if you didn't actually disassemble the trigger group there aren't many pins to lose.:)

Il Duca
March 4, 2008, 02:26 PM
I have a model 30 (think 31 without the retractable sling). Great rifle.

1KPerDay
March 5, 2008, 02:43 PM
Hmmm... my 31 doesn't have the retractable sling either.

ColdChili
March 5, 2008, 02:55 PM
Love mine (I stole it from my old man) I think it's a model 29 as well.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/allenc4lqb/DSCN1610.jpg

shootemup
March 21, 2008, 01:22 PM
Is a Model 33 close enough to get me in the club? Being a pump and all, but it still shoots .22 short, .22 long, and .22 LR...

shootemup

1KPerDay
March 21, 2008, 02:45 PM
Cool... perhaps we should change it to the JC Higgins .22 club. :D

possom813
March 21, 2008, 05:12 PM
perhaps we should change it to the JC Higgins .22 club.

How about just "J.C. Higgins Club"?

Got a 101.7 SxS .410 and a Model 20 12ga. I missed a .22 semiauto at the pawn shop a few weeks ago for 49 bucks.

rondhuff
October 11, 2008, 06:03 PM
I purchased a Model 31 about a year ago and just love it. I tried to put a scope on it and cannot find any rings to fit the grooves on the receiver. None of the ones I've tried will tighten down on it. The grooves do not appear to be worn at all. Any help would be appreciated.

1KPerDay
October 12, 2008, 01:04 AM
Welcome! i'd offer to sell you mine but one is broken. :)

rondhuff
October 12, 2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the offer. I was wondering though if the grooves on the Model 31 were non-standard.

Moose458
October 12, 2008, 07:16 PM
Maybe one of you expert JCHiggins guys can help me out with identifying one for me. My older brother had a pump action JCHiggins that I got to touch one in a great while. I'd like to find one now but I have no idea what model number it was. The only thing I can remember about it was the front hand guard was rather square with vertical groves on the sides. I know its not much info, but hey it was over 50 years ago. Thanks.

jlc20
October 12, 2008, 07:41 PM
After reading all the posts I had to go to my gun safe and check the model # of the J.C.Higgins 22 that I bought from a guy at work about 1967. It's a model 29. Haven't shot it for many years but it does get at least one yearly going over. :)

1KPerDay
October 13, 2008, 03:35 PM
Cool! I took my 31 out of the back of the safe yesterday... I love the way it handles. I need to find an extractor for it and reassemble the bolt.

TehK1w1
October 13, 2008, 07:13 PM
Let's just call it the J.C. Higgins club, as the brand encompasses so many great guns. J.C. Higgins was Sears' house brand, not really a manufacturer. they bought guns (or components) from various companies, including Savage, Hi-Standard, and FN, among others. For instance, the barrel of my father's J.C. Higgins Model 50 in 30-06(originally my grandfather's) was made by Hi-Standard, while the mauser action was made by FN.

That said, my personal J.C. Higgins is a 20-gauge Model 10 bolt-action shotgun (583.19)

newowner
October 30, 2008, 11:10 PM
Hello getlemen,

I have a question, before I ask it just know I am not much of a gun owner,

First ? I have a JC Higgins Model 31 .22 caliber rifle. How do I find a manufacture date and retail value.

Second ? I also have a Winchester 67 .22 rifle. I know they didn't put serial numbers on these weapons, but mine has one. I read they put them on if they were goin overseas. Is this true and if so where can I find more information about it. The numbers on the front of the stock are C8CP? Can anyone help?

I just got these handed down to me from my grandfather who passed away 2 months ago. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

1KPerDay
October 31, 2008, 12:40 AM
As for the model 31, 150 to 250 bucks would probably be about it. Great little rifle. Can't help with the mfg date or the winchester... you may want to ask that question only in another thread. Welcome to THR.

natescout
October 31, 2008, 01:05 AM
i have a j c higgins model 50 in .270, can i be in the club ?

arcticap
October 31, 2008, 01:22 AM
I have a Model 31 that I bought at a gunshow near Hamden, CT where High Standard was located. It's a beautiful and accurate .22 with a double claw extractor that was hardly fired.
Sometimes it fails to fire and I haven't been able to figure out why. It's almost like the slide doesn't close tight enough sometimes to get a firing pin strike due to resistance of some kind. Maybe the large extractor gets in the way, or something in the mechanism needs to be smoothed out. I figured that if I shot it enough, the new receiver would evenually smooth out. But it's still a very sweet shooter.
I think that the single claw extractor model might be better. I almost bought a beater just to take the single extractor slide assembly out to replace mine with, but I didn't want to spend that much money just to see if that would solve the problem.
I do remember someone recommending rings that work with the scope mount. They said that Millet rings for a CZ will fit, or KWIK-SITE mod # KS-W22 M will grip the receiver nice and snug.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=87119&stc=1&d=1225426698

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=87120&stc=1&d=1225426719

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=87121&stc=1&d=1225426897

newowner
November 3, 2008, 09:02 PM
So I'm back again with another question....I am trying to clean my model 31 and I have no idea how to lock the bolt to the rear. Its a new experience for me to clean things that don't break down as easy as an M4 or M16.

Whats the best way to get everything clean? Is there something I'm missing and If i break it down would that be a bad idea?

Thanks again

1KPerDay
November 5, 2008, 12:26 AM
The bolt doesn't lock to the rear. The best way to clean it thoroughly is to find a manual and disassemble it properly. Lots of nooks and crannies in the receiver that collect crud... that may be articap's problem also. That's a dang nice rifle.

BTW I'm not sure the single claw extractor will work on a bolt/barrel cut for the double claw. If it does let me know. And if you decide to get rid of your double claw extractor let me know; I lost mine. :)

fbhalljr
December 11, 2008, 06:02 PM
I have a model 31 but I need the butt stock for it. Anyone know where I can find one?

1KPerDay
December 11, 2008, 06:54 PM
check numrich/egunparts.com if you haven't.

possom813
December 11, 2008, 08:36 PM
Maybe one of you expert JCHiggins guys can help me out with identifying one for me. My older brother had a pump action JCHiggins that I got to touch one in a great while. I'd like to find one now but I have no idea what model number it was. The only thing I can remember about it was the front hand guard was rather square with vertical groves on the sides. I know its not much info, but hey it was over 50 years ago. Thanks.

From the limited description, sounds like a model 20

possom813
December 11, 2008, 09:51 PM
Model 20

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k96/possom75110/pix55347578.jpg

RP88
December 12, 2008, 03:52 AM
my dad has a rusted JC Higgins in the garage. I'm basically gonna say it's mine, since I'm pretty sure I could ask him for it. Can I join?

1KPerDay
December 12, 2008, 02:20 PM
Sure, why not? :D

What model is it?

mattwp
December 12, 2008, 02:22 PM
My sister has a JC higgins but I don't know what model it is, it is a 12ga pump with a dumb looking compensator on the end, does anybody know what model that would be?

fbhalljr
December 15, 2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks 1K for the help. I am trying to fully restore this old 31. It was my grandfathers and probably hasn't been shot in 20 years. I ordered a butt stock and now I am having trouble finding the schematics on it. Any ideas? That website where I ordered the butt didn't have one.

1KPerDay
December 15, 2008, 07:45 PM
I think I found some online eventually but it took some digging. I'm going through my email archives to see if I have them.

Ah... found this when I searched for the model 29. FYI the 29 is pretty much identical to the model 31 except the model 29 is 22LR only IIRC.

HTH

http://stevespages.com/pdf/jchiggins_29.pdf

1KPerDay
December 15, 2008, 07:47 PM
Also here... this is probably the same thing or close to it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=118387887

fbhalljr
December 15, 2008, 09:12 PM
Thats great. I appreciate the help. It is tough to find the info on this model. At least it is for me.

1KPerDay
December 16, 2008, 12:07 AM
You're very welcome. :)

candr44
December 16, 2008, 02:02 PM
If anyone is looking for a schematic and assembly guide for a model 31, Gun Digest Book of Rimfire Rifles Assembly/Disassembly by J.B. Wood has one. Numrich Gun Parts also has some parts for these rifles.

Are these rifles worth owning? I have a chance to buy a model 30 in good condition for $130. Is it worth buying one or are they a lot of trouble? It seems like I'm reading about a lot of problems with them but I also read that about my Westernfield 59A (Stevens 87) and it works perfect.

Jimfern
December 16, 2008, 02:26 PM
My 92 year old grandfather gave me a model 31 which he says he shot crows with as a child in South Texas.

1KPerDay
December 16, 2008, 03:05 PM
Candr,
It's hard to say about "these rifles". As for the model 31 (and 29 which is nearly identical from what I can tell), they work great. Mine worked flawlessly for many years until the extractor blew off. It's been sitting since, waiting for me to track down the correct one. I can't get a difinitive answer.

But if you mean "J.C. Higgins" rifles in general it's very tough to say because they were all made by different makers and are different designs.

1KPerDay
December 16, 2008, 03:14 PM
Hmmm... seems the model 30 and 29 are very similar... anyone know the difference?

http://www.histandard.info/manuals/sears/rfrifles/1096D150R.pdf

BTW that website is full of great info. It wasn't up and running yesterday or I'd have posted a link.

http://www.histandard.info/manuals/sears/rfrifles/0439D150R.pdf

http://www.histandard.info/manuals/sears/rfrifles/index.html

passinthru
February 3, 2009, 01:41 PM
My model 30 has the bolt handle on the left side. My model 31 has the handle on the right side. The handle seems to be the only visible difference. I would like to have a 28 and 29. Also have a 33. All have higgins scopes. 2 of them have 1" tubes.

candr44
February 3, 2009, 06:46 PM
My model 30 has the bolt handle on the right side. I think I would like it better on the left. Although the right isn't bad the left seems like a better place to put it. The 29, 30, 31, 34, and 36 all look the same on the outside but there are internal differences and they did make changes within the same model mumber.

I found a set of scope rings that work on these rifles at Walmart. It is the Weaver see through .22 rings that are split vertically down the middle. I put a set on my rifle and they tightened up with no problems. Just make sure you tighten up the bottom screw first.

1KPerDay
February 3, 2009, 08:18 PM
What were the 34 and 36 like?

passinthru
February 17, 2009, 01:45 PM
Never saw a model 34 or 36. This is my 30,31 and 33.

1KPerDay
February 17, 2009, 02:47 PM
Cool... what's the difference between the 31 and 33? Is the cocking handle on the other side?

TedP
February 17, 2009, 03:33 PM
I have a model 20, like possum's. Mine has a big ugly choke on the end though.

Also have a Sears (JC Higgins made?) 16 gauge bolt. Dad always called it the "goose gun".

I have never fired either.

Can inherited guns be classified as "safe queens". Cuz I got a few of them. :)

passinthru
February 18, 2009, 09:57 AM
I traded a model 30 that had the handle on the left side. This model 30 has it on the right. Seems as if they changed things according to the parts supply. Still a well made gun.

omalon
May 10, 2009, 09:55 PM
I am trying to put a BSA RD30/22 Red Dot on my Model 31 and the local gunsmith says it can't be done short of drilling and tapping a new weaver base of the top. It appears the "3/8" DOVETAIL RAIL isn't standard size and the BSA mount won't work. What is the size of the Dovetail?

Someone post the following "I found a set of scope rings that work on these rifles at Walmart. It is the Weaver see through .22 rings that are split vertically down the middle. I put a set on my rifle and they tightened up with no problems. Just make sure you tighten up the bottom screw first."

Wonder if those rings would work on a BSA RD30?

jopedu
May 10, 2009, 10:40 PM
Can I join? I have an model 583-1101 20 gauge bolt action that still shoots nice but cant work the bolt too fast or it comes out in your hand:rolleyes:

CajunBass
May 11, 2009, 07:25 AM
My sister has a JC higgins but I don't know what model it is, it is a 12ga pump with a dumb looking compensator on the end, does anybody know what model that would be?

No idea what kind of shotgun it is, but that "dumb looking compensator" is probably a Cutts Compensator. It was a pretty popular modification "back in the day" since it allowed you to change chokes, back before screw in choke tubes came around.

I've always thought they were ugly myself, (and LOUD) but I knew a few people who had them.

I saw a J.C. Higgins bolt action 22 on sale at my favorite dealer yesterday. I can't remember the model (191 sound right?) but it looked like a Mossberg rifle. Tube feed, bolt action, kinda deep in the stock. It wasn't in bad shape. They only wanted $50.00 for it. I might call them later and have them hold it back for me this weekend.

1KPerDay
May 29, 2009, 05:58 PM
Just cross-linking the following thread here for future reference... some info may not be available on this official thread. :)

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=5642692#post5642692

jkarmisteadn
June 19, 2009, 07:12 PM
i have a model 31 that looks almost new

1KPerDay
June 19, 2009, 07:24 PM
cool! what kind of extractor does it have? Wide 2 claw or narrow single claw?

bcsssj
July 23, 2009, 10:15 AM
My brother just got a 31 with a broken extractor. How do you determine if it needs a single or double claw extractor? Are they interchangeable?

Thanks!

1KPerDay
July 23, 2009, 01:25 PM
There are (as far as I can determine) 3 types of extractors for these. A wider, single claw type, a wider, double claw type, and a narrow single claw type. The width of the extractor groove in the right side of the bolt should tell you whether it's the narrow or wide type... as for whether it's single or double claw I've never been able to get a straight answer on that. Some say look at the rear of the barrel and see if there are 2 cutouts, but I'm not sure if they all don't have a wide cutout to allow for any extractor type. If you find out please let me know.

Also please post some detailed pics of his bolt/extractor groove/extractor plunger/spring if possible.

1KPerDay
August 5, 2009, 03:28 AM
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=449886

pics of dual claw type extractor and bolt here FYI

1KPerDay
August 8, 2009, 02:05 AM
Got the new extractor in and the rifle back together with some help

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/th_9b46264a.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/9b46264a.jpg)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/th_bb397b2a.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/bb397b2a.jpg)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/th_9ce28865.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/9ce28865.jpg)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/th_29f245d5.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/29f245d5.jpg)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/th_44456084.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/44456084.jpg)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/th_1c81fed5.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/1c81fed5.jpg)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/th_114054d0.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/114054d0.jpg)

1prcntr
August 8, 2009, 09:32 AM
I have a model 29...I want in!

rgee
August 8, 2009, 10:52 AM
I have a Sears Model 25 and a Higgins Model 29 (given to me by Grandpa 44 yrs ago) - the 29 is the last gun I will ever part with. :D

1KPerDay
August 9, 2009, 12:58 AM
Welcome fellers... the 29 is pretty much identical so you qualify. :D

dapelz
August 16, 2009, 04:54 PM
I am a new member and have a model 29 that has a missing trigger guard assembly (JC Higgins part No. 487M). I am also new to posting, and can't figure out how to post a new message. Please help with part, and let me know how to post new messages. I would also like to join the JC Higgins model 31 club
Thanks;
Denny

1KPerDay
August 16, 2009, 05:47 PM
A new thread can only be posted from the main forums (rifle country; etc) and there's a New Thread button at the top left.

http://thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6

See my reply to your question re: the trigger guard in the other thread where you posted it also. :)

shotgunjoel
August 16, 2009, 06:27 PM
I inherited my grandfather's model 31 a couple years ago. He used it to shoot foxes on the farm in Indiana. ($3 bounty for a pair of fox ears) My aunt had had it because of her boys, but now it got passed on to me. I remember shooting that gun every Thanksgiving and Mother's Day at my aunt's as a kid. What fun.

It's such a cool rifle, but I've had some extraction problems with it. It will go anywhere from 2 shots to 20 before it won't extract a case, causing feeding problems. Any help?

1KPerDay
August 17, 2009, 01:10 AM
Sounds like your extractor is worn or broken. How long has it been since you've given the bolt and receiver a really good cleaning? They're kind of a pain to clean out really well... post up if you need some help. Is it a single claw or dual-claw extractor?

shotgunjoel
August 18, 2009, 05:25 AM
I took the extractor out and cleaned out the channel in the bolt. It was pretty gunked up. I hope that that fixes it. It is a double claw.

1KPerDay
August 18, 2009, 12:49 PM
I assume you drifted out the extractor pin bottom to top? Did the extractor have a tiny little spring pressing out against the back side? If the spring has flown out that may be your problem also.

shotgunjoel
August 18, 2009, 03:59 PM
Yes I pushed out the pin bottom to top. It had the spring on it, and didn't lose it. I'll check it out to see if it works better now. Thanks for the help.

1KPerDay
August 18, 2009, 06:33 PM
Cool... good luck and let us know how she runs.

JHK94
August 18, 2009, 06:41 PM
I have a Sears Ted Williams Model 34, and other than the stock and the bolt handle, it looks pretty identical. Does anyone know the relationshp between the two?

Edit: looking at the manual, it appears the action is almost identical in operation. The only other differnece I noted is that my 34 is a "carbine" length, so the barrel and magazine are the same length

1KPerDay
August 18, 2009, 07:57 PM
Post some pics if you can

some info here FYI

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=39737

Here's one for sale... looks almost identical to my 31 except for the trigger group and the front curve atop the receiver.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=137333378

Another

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=137388169

JHK94
August 18, 2009, 09:25 PM
Yep, it looks exactly like those except is has a shorter barrel and a 2 piece, unconnected stock (like a Win. 94). I'll try to get some pics soon.

JHK94
August 24, 2009, 02:05 AM
Here it is: Sears Ted Williams 34. The bolt operating handle broke a few weeks ago...I got a replacements from Numrich...it wasn't exactly right, but the replacement was steel, so I figured I'd keep it anyway (the original was pot metal).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2431/3849568863_e8400155dc.jpg

1KPerDay
August 24, 2009, 12:41 PM
Cool... can't really tell from the small pic but the bolt looks very similar. The stock is quite different; I've never seen a semi-auto with an english-style stock. Looks good!

80vette1
September 8, 2009, 10:17 PM
Is this for real, or yall just funnin?
If it's for real, I want to join! :)

Bo
September 9, 2009, 11:01 AM
I have a J.C. Higgins Mod. 31. As for the scope rings, I bought a set of 22 cal. rings from Sportsman Guide and filed them down so they would clamp down tight. Worked great. I know it's not keeping it original but, a 3-9X40 scope is really sweet on it.
Here's my question. Where's the ser.#? All I see is a Sear's # and a pat.#. There is no ser.#.

kragluver
September 9, 2009, 06:46 PM
Prior to 1968 (I think I have the year correct), .22s and shotguns did not require S/Ns.

1KPerDay
September 11, 2009, 03:22 AM
No serial number that I can find on mine. :)

JHK94
September 11, 2009, 03:25 AM
Long guns did not need to have serials; all mine has is a (High Standard) assembly code, that tells you the month and year of assembly.

I know it's not keeping it original but, a 3-9X40 scope is really sweet on it.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat...I got a 2.5-10x40 from Sportsmans Guide for super cheap, and its really brought new usefullness and fun to the rifle. Plus, I think it finally got my wife into shooting...

1KPerDay
September 11, 2009, 02:59 PM
which rings are you using, JHK94?

80vette1
September 14, 2009, 02:37 AM
I have a J.C. Higgins model 31 with the original J.C. Higgins Rifleman scope. Would anyone know where I can get parts for it or another scope?
Thanks,

1KPerDay
September 14, 2009, 03:03 PM
You want to know where you can get parts for the scope? Or parts for the rifle? Or another scope?

Parts for the scope you're out of luck, IMO. though some crop up on gunbroker from time to time. Parts for the rifle, check e-gunparts.com; they have some. Another scope... anywhere that sells scopes. :)

JHK94
September 14, 2009, 06:46 PM
which rings are you using, JHK94?

I'm just using some cheap (~$10) Leapers Deluxe 1" .22 Rings with a BSA Panther scope.

airmech328
September 19, 2009, 12:33 PM
I have just put a model 31 back together. It has been in the family with out a bolt for many years.
I found most of the parts from numrich.

airmech328
September 19, 2009, 12:42 PM
I work 3RD shift and may be slow to respond.

1KPerDay
September 20, 2009, 01:08 AM
sure enough... welcome! Post some pics if you can.

airmech328
September 23, 2009, 09:09 AM
pics are coming. glad to show it off.

chesterton123
October 12, 2009, 04:48 PM
My son's Model 31 shoot fine and straight, but after a couple rounds, the bolt won't seat all the way and has to be nudged forward in order to fire the next round.

Is this just a worn spring? I cleaned the rails. They weren't that bad.

1KPerDay
October 12, 2009, 04:53 PM
sounds like a good cleaning is in order, and possibly a new recoil spring.

chesterton123
October 12, 2009, 05:18 PM
What's the difference b/w a recoil spring and a driving spring? I looked on e-gunparts and they show something called a driving spring. Is that the part?

Thanks so much for any help.

Also, any recommendations for cleaning solvent for the rails and bolt? Right now I'm just using the Hoopes that came in a rifle cleaning kit.

1KPerDay
October 12, 2009, 05:23 PM
Hoppes should be fine... but there are a lot of nooks and crannies in there where gunk can collect. Have you taken the bolt out and everything?

the recoil spring (probably the same thing as the driving spring) is the one that rides on a pin/plunger and fits in the back of the bolt... the one that pushes the bolt shut.

1KPerDay
October 12, 2009, 05:27 PM
http://www.histandard.info/manuals/sears/rfrifles/1074D150R.pdf

Yep, it's called the driving spring.

chesterton123
October 12, 2009, 05:30 PM
OK, then that's the same spring.

Yes, I took it apart completely. In fact the trigger assembly came apart much more easily and inconveniently than I had hoped. It took me about three days to figure out the spring placement. Having gotten the rifle for free, I was tempted to convert it into a lawn plugging device. But then I finally got it put together correctly. It's very accurate and feeds fine, just that little seating problem.

I appreciate the help. I might need to get a better scrubber to get into those crevices.

Thanks again!

scott3840
November 15, 2009, 11:12 AM
Can someone send a close up pic of their double claw extractor and spring?

1KPerDay
November 15, 2009, 02:23 PM
See post #70 above

http://thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=5809302&postcount=70

if you have any questions as to how it goes together, let me know.

Basically you drift the extractor retaining pin out of the bolt (vertically; far enough to get the extractor out/in), and the tiny spring pushes out against the rear of the extractor, and pushes in against the side of the bolt. there's a small recess to position it but it's only held there by the tension of the extractor. Helps to have three hands to put it back in.

If you bought a milled (not stamped) extractor from numrich, your extractor pin may not fit through the hole. Mine wouldn't.

4dogspete
November 23, 2009, 04:10 PM
Does anyone know the differences between the JC Higgins models 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33?
All (I believe) are .22 cal semi-auto. Other than that, I hav no idea of the differences.
I just purchased a model 30 no scope - bought a Weaver 4X on ebay and added it. This rifle has the roll-up sling, and it says shoots shorts, longs and long rifle 22's.
The cocking mechanism does not have a hold-back. Wondering if it can be 'upgraded' with the right parts?

1KPerDay
November 24, 2009, 12:30 AM
No upgrade. The 29 and 31 are identical save for the fact that the 29 shoots 22 LR only. The 31 shoots shorts, longs, and LR.

The 30 is nearly identical, except the charging handle is on the left of the receiver. Don't know about the other models.

hdoty1030
January 2, 2010, 02:02 AM
Hi all. I thought I'd join because we did a deep clean on my 31 tonight and wow it was a pain and this thread was a lot of help. I got this rifle for my 18th birthday from my daddy and there is a really interesting story as to how he came to own it.

My daddy and his buddy were out scouting for deer in Utah in the fall 1995. They came across some poachers (grrrrrr) and they were stashing their guns in some bushes as the rangers were pulling up. Fast forward a year and he had drawn for the same area and was out scouting again. Low and behold, My rifle and 2 other rifles were still in the bushes. My daddy snagged them.

When it came time for my birthday, he gave me my rifle. It has made it through so much; my ex husband stealing it and tying the action down with a small bit of wire so I would get hurt (got it back and found it before I shot it), stolen another 2 times one of which coke was spilled on it, and still has been a great rifle to own, I'm glad that I was able to get it back all those times.

I love my rifle and am so glad that I found this thread to give my rifle the much needed, well deserved cleaning.

Thanks

1KPerDay
January 2, 2010, 02:08 AM
Interesting story, not sure I understand parts of it (poachers, hiding guns, etc.), but welcome anyway. Glad this thread could be of some help! :cool:

paducahrider
January 17, 2010, 03:42 PM
Howdy!
Out of the clear blue, my father gave me a brand new, J.C.Higgins, Model 31, .22cal, tube feed, semi-automatic rifle, complete with a red, built-in recoiling sling and a J.C/ Higgins scope.
That was in 1956, when I was in the eighth grade.
Since my previous armament was a Daisy lever action carbine, the step up was much appreciated by me.
The rifle would handle shorts, longs, and/or long rifle rounds, even mixed in the same magazine, with no problems at all,,,,,for a while.
It was this rifle that taught me the importance of PROPER cleaning and PROPER(meaning the right amount of the RIGHT lube) lubrication.
I can still remember the first disassembly, on our kitchen table. I learned quickly, to use extreme care when tearing it down, or I would be on my hands and knees for an hour, hunting for tiny springs, pins and other parts.
As mentioned by other "31 Clubmembers", this design has lots of places for dirt, grit, unburned powder and gummy/hardened lubricant, to hide. The only way to keep this gun working properly, is to take out the trigger assembly, then the bolt assembly and take them apart to allow brushes, toothpicks and wooden scrapers access to all the gunk. I found that automotive spray brake cleaner works, but the stocks must be removed, or the finish and/or wood could be damaged.
Once cleaned, only light, high-grade lubricant will allow it to work in all weather. Use too thick a lube and the bolt will not always close fully, especially in the winter.
Failure to clean out the drive spring channel will have the same result.
When the rifle was only a year old(1957), we had to order a new firing pin from Sears. It has been in there ever since.
That's the only part ever replaced.
I agree with other writers that the foreend shape is both stylish and comfortable to handle.
I've shot thousands of every type of ammo through it, but only one box of shorts, because my Dad taught me that this could wear out the rifling adjacent to the chamber.
I used it for hunting squirrels, in river-bottom timber, but actually shot one quail, on the wing, over open sights and with a good backstop.
I had no trouble getting consistant head-shots on the squirrels, to save meat damage, but I can tell you that there wasn't much left of that quail.
While still a teenager, I took it upon myself to steam out all the little dents I had inflicted on the rifle, up until then.
I was careful to block sand all the old finish off, to prevent any "saucering" around holes and edges. "Linspeed Oil" was used to refinish it, and it's still on there now and looks better than new, although I'm getting the itch to spruce it up again, now that I'm retired.
It's been a very dependable firearm, as long as you clean it right and don't overdo the lubrication.
I can understand why so many folks have joined this group.
Thanks for your time.

Oldcoyote
January 17, 2010, 07:07 PM
Millett Angle-Loc HIgh scope rings worked on my Higgins Model 31. These can be tightened from both sides. For some reason, the medium rings would not work.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9078/Product/ANGLE_LOC_trade___22_SCOPE_RINGS

1KPerDay
January 18, 2010, 01:28 AM
Welcome Paducahrider! Great stories. If you can post some pics I'd love to see your old rifle.

BTW I finally got the chance to take my Model 31 out the other day; first time since repairing the extractor. The rifle hasn't been fired in over 20 years. It worked flawlessly and is a complete blast. I can't believe how much fun a nice .22 is. :cool:

paducahrider
January 18, 2010, 12:55 PM
To 1KperDay:
Thanks for the welcome!
I learned a lot from shooting and taking care of that rifle.
Once, my Dad found out that a couple of us boys had been sneaking around, smoking cigarettes. I dreaded the whipping I figured I would get, after I had learned that he knew of our clandestine activities.
He drove into the driveway, at my Grandparent's farm, near Hardmoney, KY, where I spent many of my early summers, and motioned for me to follow him to some lawn chairs, in the shade of the three big oaks, in the front yard.
We sat down, in two facing chairs, and he explained that he knew what I had been doing and admitted that he also knew he couldn't stop me if I chose to continue doing it.
He then asked me if I liked to shoot that rifle. My heart sank as I answered that I did, thinking that he was preparing to take it from me. Now the price of a pack of cigarettes, at that time, was close to the same as a box of 22 cartridges, and he pointed that out to me.
He then did something that made one of the biggest impressions upon me, of my life, before or since; He gave me a choice!.
He said I would have to choose, at some time, whether I bought cigarettes or .22 cartridges, because I wouldn't be able to afford both.
I knew he had been a HEAVY smoker, but had quit, cold turkey, years before.
He reminded me that smoking was a "nasty" habit, and would cost more than money, over the years, but shooting could be a pleasant hobby, if done properly, over an even greater length of time; but it was my choice.
I didn't hesitate in telling him that I wouldn't smoke any more, and I have never smoked, or wanted to, since.
The rifle was a great gift, but the lesson that I am resposible for my choices was a far greater one.
I'm proud of that rifle, but it's just a reminder that I'm even prouder of my Father.
Thanks for your time.

1KPerDay
January 18, 2010, 02:26 PM
Another great lesson! I wish more people had wise dads.

And expensive habits like shooting. :D

shotgunjoel
January 27, 2010, 12:20 AM
Once cleaned, only light, high-grade lubricant will allow it to work in all weather. Use too thick a lube and the bolt will not always close fully, especially in the winter.
Is this the general consensus on lubrication? I've used grease on the bolt in the past, maybe that's what's been causing some of my problems. I just detail-cleaned it over the last couple of days and lubed it up with Rem-oil after reading this post. Should I stick with that?

1KPerDay
January 27, 2010, 03:01 AM
Try it out and see... rem oil is certainly not thick. Should work fine if everything else is in order. I use oil on mine, and sparingly. Lots of nooks and crannies to collect crud in there. :)

paducahrider
January 27, 2010, 05:15 PM
To ShotgJoe:
I agree with 1kperday,; Rem Oil works fine, as long as you heed his(her?) other advice, and don't use too much.
This particular mechanism is more sensitive to both the type AND amount of lube that is used than the average rifle mechanism.
I have even tried completely disassembling the action, degreasing it, then coating it with a dry lube. It worked fine, but it seemed to be noisier when cycling. I tried this during the winter, and it certainly worked well then, and didn't tend to gum up.
Another oil I tried succesfully was Tri Flow, which has colloidal PTFE as a component.
The best lube I ever used, for a variety of purposes, was a DuPont product made for racing bicycles. It was called Dupont Bicycle Lube, I believe.
It was 100% ptfe and just would not allow galling to happen, period.
They quit making it some time ago, and I have used all my stash.
They do make a 100% ptfe(type) industrial grease called Krytox, that comes in a tube about the same size as one of those "travel sized" toothpaste tubes, but it is not cheap. It is extremely slick and useful, but NOT for this gun, because of the tendency for any grease to accumulate grit.
Good, light oil and not too much of it works best.
While on this subject, sooner or later WD40 will come up. EVERYONE needs to know that WD40 IS NOT A LUBRICANT!!!!!!!!
It is a actually a solvent that is far overused as a lubricant.
If WD40 is used as a lube with some metals, it actually would be better to have nothing at all on it. It CAUSES stainless steels to gall.
People get confused about WD40 when they squirt it on some old, gummed up lube, that is causing something to bind or squeak. The WD40 simply dissolves the gunk, and, for a short time liquifies it. Of course, as soon as the WD40 evaporates, you will have the same problem as before.
DON'T USE WD40 to lube ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for your time.

shotgunjoel
January 27, 2010, 11:18 PM
Does anybody know where I could get a new recoil spring for my 31?

1KPerDay
January 27, 2010, 11:53 PM
http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=356700B&CatID=9558&mySort=1

4dogspete
May 30, 2010, 03:13 PM
Does anyone know the differences between the JC Higgins models 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33?
All (I believe) are .22 cal semi-auto. Other than that, I hav no idea of the differences.
I just purchased a model 30 no scope - bought a Weaver 4X on ebay and added it. This rifle has the roll-up sling, and it says shoots shorts, longs and long rifle 22's.
The cocking mechanism does not have a hold-back. Wondering if it can be 'upgraded' with the right parts?
Several years ago I borrowed a Higgins model 31 for a day of plinking and frankly had a grand time. I've got the bug to find another one - found a Model 30 - on Gun Broker - no scope. Bought it and have had a fit of a time finding a scope and rings to fit!
Bought a 3/4" scope (possibly an original) with tip mount on ebay, but it wouldn't center on windage - the adjustment was all the way to one end and wouldn't correct any further.
Bought a 1" Bushnell scope with rings that was supposed to fit into the top grooves, but no luck there. Tried to trim the ring mounts but not happy with the reaults.
Bought a set of rings - Weaver Grand Slam #49313 that was supposed to fit, but it was just a tad bit large. My solution was to scissor up an aluminum soda can and make shims to fit over the scope mount grooves - front and back. One shim worked on the front and 2 shims work on the rear.
What a pain trying to find some way to make a scope fit.
Now to go back to the shooting range to see how close I can make it to a true zero!

1KPerDay
May 31, 2010, 01:26 AM
Let us know how it goes!

2010James
July 13, 2010, 12:17 PM
Recently inherited this when my Dad passed this year. I've not fired it yet since I brought it home.

Really looking for some info on the 4x scope and how it would be mounted. I don't have one but hope to find one.

1KPerDay
July 13, 2010, 02:42 PM
Nice rifle! Sorry to hear about your dad.

Scope mounting options are few and far between... read through this thread carefully; I think someone may have mentioned it. if you get something figured out let us know.

2010James
July 13, 2010, 05:56 PM
From what I can see in the user manual it looks like the stock scope is supposed to have a base plate and screw that slides onto the grooved section on the top of the rifle, tightened by the screw, then the clamps on the scope attach to that. I've seen a few vintage scopes out there but none with the plate and the parts link someone posted says they are sold out.

If I figure something out I'll be sure to post it here.

1KPerDay
July 13, 2010, 06:04 PM
There must be several variants (like with the extractor types), as mine has no base plate. There is a notch on the inside edge of the scope rings that fits on one side of the groove in the top of the reciever, and a screwed-in plate on the other side that acts as the other "notch" when the screws are tightened. one of my screws broke long ago and that side plate was lost. I haven't been able to source a replacement. I kinda like it without the scope anyway, though... even though the original scope is pretty cool.

2010James
July 13, 2010, 06:25 PM
When mounted in that configuration how stable was it? Those grooves seem so, so small it's hard to imagine clipping something to them like that.

1KPerDay
July 13, 2010, 06:38 PM
It worked fine... until it broke. :D That was about 20 years ago and I don't remember doing a lot of serious evaluation of the stability of the setup as a kid. Hit what I aimed at, though.

The .22 LR isn't a heavy recoiling rifle. :)

SfcArmy
August 2, 2010, 05:44 PM
I wish to join the JC Higgins mdl 31 club. I purchased mine when I was helping my brother with an estate sale. The owner let me have it for $60.00 since I was helping with the sale. I also have a Ted Williams 12 guage auto shotgun. I have a question. Where is the sn on the mdl 31. There are numbers on the side of the trigger guard assembly, but these could be part numbers.

1KPerDay
August 2, 2010, 07:19 PM
The only number I've been able to find on mine is inside the receiver and I doubt that's a serial number. Serial numbers weren't required on these types of rifles until some time in the late 60s-early 70s or something IIRC.

kragluver
August 3, 2010, 08:28 PM

DoubleW
August 9, 2010, 12:38 AM
Does anyone know someone in Arizona who could repair/replace the firing pin on my J C Higgins Model 31 Semi-Auto ? It was my birthday present given to me by my father in 1956, purchased at Sears-Robuck in Fresno, CA.

glassfixer
August 22, 2010, 12:57 AM
Hi from Paola, Kansas. I am glad there are other J C Higgens .22 cal. lovers out there. I have a Models 25, 30 and a 31. I am trying to get scope rings for the 31 and have not found any that fit. Do they have adapters for this purpose? I would like to put a 1" scope on it. I would appreciate any help I can get. Well, looking forward to chatting and sharing info with every one. Thanks - Glassfixer

1KPerDay
August 22, 2010, 03:32 AM
Welcome... if you find some scope rings that work let us know.

kragluver
August 22, 2010, 06:50 PM
I have a set of Weaver quick disconnect scope rings for mine. I don't recall the model number, but they were for a standard .22 LR dovetail and they work fine. My rings are the see through style that allowed me to mount a peep sight for close in work. I have a Williams Receiver sight mounted just behind the aft scope ring and I replaced the front sight with a tall Lyman front sight with ivory bead. They are zeroed for 50 yds. I mounted a cheap Tasco scope and zeroed it for 100 yds. It makes a good combination.

old one
August 27, 2010, 11:17 PM
Hi guys. I just joined up and want to be a member too. I have a model 31 that I inheirited. The end of the bolt handle is broken off. My stepdad owned the gun and the bolt was jammed. I took it apart and OMG, the gunk that was in there. I don't think it ever has been cleaned. But my question is when I pulled the bolt out a part fell out of the bolt. I think it is on the side opposite the bolt handle. It is about one inch long has flat spot on one side and a long narrow slide on the opposite side of it. I have looked at Steves pages at the schematic but it doesn't show this side of the bolt. I went to Numrich site but they don't show this part either.I think it is on the opposite the extractor and fits in the groove there but I don't which way.
I looked at 1K's pictures but didn't see this part. Any help will be appreciated. I also am going to need a bolt handle.
Thanks

1KPerDay
August 28, 2010, 01:00 AM
Post some pics if you can... I can't imagine what it might be unless part of the internal receiver rail snapped off or something.

old one
August 28, 2010, 05:28 PM
I'll try it tonite. I think it is a guide of the bolt. When it jammed on him the volt was angled down just a little toward the breech.

old one
August 28, 2010, 08:31 PM
I hope I have right pics. The piece laying beside the bolt is one in question. I think it goes in the groove on the side of the bolt.

1KPerDay
August 29, 2010, 12:56 AM
I believe my suspicions were correct. Unless I'm mistaken that's the ejector and it's supposed to be welded/soldered/staked to the inside of the receiver (unless the long outside edges of the flat rectangular portion are dovetailed, are they?), and you're correct that it is a guide for the bolt; the slot in the side of the bolt slides on it. That little flat notch/tab at the rear acts as the ejector. In your 3rd pic it's oriented as it would be if you had your rifle on your lap, upside down, with the barrel pointing to the right. You'll likely need to take it to a gunsmith. There will probably be a discolored rectangular area on the inside left side of the receiver (with the gun pointing away from you) where it came loose. Unless it dovetails in there somehow. I don't know how it's supposed to be attached... it could be staked in or soldered or dovetailed as I said. Numrich lists it as a separate piece so it obviously can be replaced by someone smarter than I. :)

Take a really close look at that area of the receiver now you know where to look, and see if you can see stake marks or a place where that would slide into place.

Here's a pic of mine FYI

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%20Model%2031%20Extractor/8a06a636.jpg

old one
August 29, 2010, 09:39 AM
Thanks. Yes the edges are dovetailed and the place hwere fits in the receiver has a small lip that I was going to file down where it appears that something (the extractor apparently) had caused a tiny piece of metal to raise. It must got loose and moved back and forth enought gouge out a hole for it come loose. I will take the gun back out of the safe and see what maybe can be done.
This clears up this little mystery. Thanks a bunch. I just find a picture on Numrich's site of what this was and where it went.

old one
August 29, 2010, 03:22 PM
I hope you can tell from the pics how this piece fits. I have to put it back in place and I think using a small drift punch, through the bolt handle opening, I can brad the piece back in. The dovetails on the extractor are in good shape. Just the mating dovetails in the receiver are battered some.
I don't know what happened to the pics. They were there when I previewed. I'll try later.

old one
August 29, 2010, 04:03 PM
Here they are:

TOPGUN2U
August 31, 2010, 01:32 AM
I have a mod 31. I bought it when I was in high school new at Sears & Roebuck. I shot that gun probably more than any other gun I have ever owned. When I was in my 30's I sold it to a friend that had two young boys that he wanted to teach to shoot. 20 Years later he asked me if I wanted to buy it back from him for the same money that I had sold it to him. His boys were grown by then and neither had an interest in it. I have had it ever since in my collection. It still is in excellent condition. Even the retractable sling still works fine.

1KPerDay
August 31, 2010, 02:11 AM
Thanks. Yes the edges are dovetailed and the place hwere fits in the receiver has a small lip that I was going to file down where it appears that something (the extractor apparently) had caused a tiny piece of metal to raise. It must got loose and moved back and forth enought gouge out a hole for it come loose. I will take the gun back out of the safe and see what maybe can be done.
This clears up this little mystery. Thanks a bunch. I just find a picture on Numrich's site of what this was and where it went.
Excellent! Hope you get it sorted. :cool:

Topgun, that's a great story. welcome. :)

1KPerDay
September 7, 2010, 02:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0_EdDBktoM

My son shooting my Model 31 for the first time... he's a deadeye with it!

What fun rifles these are.:cool:

heyketz
September 7, 2010, 12:38 PM
I want to join. I have a Model 31. Shooting the other day and the firing pin broke. Anybody know where to get parts? Should I take it to a gunsmith or is this something I can install myself?
Thanks........

1KPerDay
September 7, 2010, 02:51 PM
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=9558 see page 2

You'll have to take a look at your bolt and see if the firing pin retaining pin goes from left to right or top to bottom.

You can do it yourself; you'll need a good set of pin punches. :)

LDThornton
September 23, 2010, 12:02 AM
I took possession of a JC Higgins model 31 today. My FFL has a place to shoot so I loaded 4 rounds in it and shot it. Rifle worked perfectly and ejected the empties about 15 foot away. Brought it home and tore it down and cleaned it and it was DIRTY. The only part of the rifle that doesn't look new is the right side of the barrel. Looks like someone took a pot scrubber to it and wasn't much bluing left. I'll probably have my gunsmith duracote the barrel sometime so it will look like new again. Fun little rifle to shoot. Like everyone else I'm trying to figure out when it was made. It is the 583.3100 model with double claw extractor and no built-in sling. The bottom claw of the extractor is broken off and gone but it still extracts fine with just the top claw. If anyone has an idea as to when it was made please let me know. Thanks.....Lonnie

1KPerDay
September 23, 2010, 12:41 PM
congrats and welcome. replacement extractors are available, but if it works fine with a broken one... will it extract duds/live rounds reliably?

It's difficult to say exactly when it was made as many don't have serial numbers. Mine doesn't. This might give you a general idea.
http://www.histandard.info/PDF/Sears%20Rifles.pdf

LDThornton
September 23, 2010, 06:25 PM
Alas, it was not mean't to be. I cleaned and inspected the rifle last night after only shooting 4 rounds thru it. I found that the dovetail which is part of the receiver that holds the ejector in place was broken. The only thing that was keeping the ejector in place was dirt and grime and once it was cleaned the rifle jammed up between every round. Took it to my gunsmith today and he diagnosed it for me. I called the seller from the gunsmith's shop to tell him about it and he said to ship it back to him for a refund. Rifle is back together now and all boxed up waiting for UPS to pick it up.

1KPerDay
September 24, 2010, 12:56 PM
That's too bad... I imagine it could be silver soldered but it might be more trouble than it's worth. Glad the seller's taking care of you. Keep your eye on gunbroker; these pop up there from time to time.:cool:

dwade7551
October 4, 2010, 07:43 PM
I have received a basket case JC Higgins 36. It appears to be there except for the disconnector. I am looking for any photo's of the assembled trigger group. It all appears pretty self explanatory except for how the sear and spring, and the disconnector and spring fit together. Could a generous soul please post some photo's and or drawings to help me assemble this? I have all the manuals, owner's and Gun Digest Rimfire book, but they do not show detailed pics of how the springs fit. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Dale

AJ Webb
December 18, 2010, 10:06 AM
what size of receiver is needed to mount scope for 22 jc higgins, model29

windsor311
December 18, 2010, 11:52 AM
Hello all, I want into the club as well.......

I was just given:) a model 31. A gentleman said it was his grandfathers and had been stored in a damp basement for YEARS..:banghead:... It was in the original cardboard box that Sears sold them in but the finish of the barrel is rusted. Not as horrible as the Mossberg 20ga stored with it but enough. The wood had some mildew spots and the sling would not function. I was able to tear the entire rifle down, used #0000 steel wool to clean up the barrel and magtube. The trigger assembly and reciever looked as if the were a lead depository. There was so much junk in the bolt and firing pin channel I thought it would never come clean....
I took the wool to the wood lightly and they came out nice as well. I just put it back together minus the sling, gonna try that 12" tape measure spring mentioned in one of the posts a while back to see if I can't get that thing to function as well.
Think I'll take her out to see where she hits and MAYBE go the old-style scope route.

Keep the posts coming and if anyone can provide numbers for scope rings, please post em up here as well.

jelang
August 13, 2011, 06:52 PM
Iwould like to remove the bolt for cleaning,can you help with the trick.This is a model 34 jc with the jc scope.Shoots great,thanks john new member 1st time post thanks

1KPerDay
August 14, 2011, 12:57 PM
Was that a typo? I'm not familiar with the model 34. Can you post a pic?

jelang
August 18, 2011, 05:54 PM
The 34 is identical to the 29.Both are instructed to shoot 22 long rifle only.Trigger mech.are interchangable,and look same.My question is removing the bolt for maintainance.The recoil spring and rod appear to be holding the handle in,but to remove the spring without damage seems tricky. john

1KPerDay
August 18, 2011, 07:33 PM
If it is indeed identical to the 29/31, you remove the side screw and forend screw, remove the trigger group, pull the bolt rearward far enough that it clears that interior lip/shelf thing, and lift up on the front of the bolt (this is with the rifle upside down, obviously). This lifts the bolt off of the handle and you can decompress the spring as you remove the bolt. In this regard it's similar to the Ruger 10/22 with the exception that the J.C. Higgins has a separate bolt handle.

Getting it lined back up again is a bit tricky but it goes in the reverse way it came out. Good luck.

BTW if you search this thread I believe one or two people have posted links to the manual for the model 29/31, if that helps.

jelang
August 20, 2011, 11:22 PM
Your help did the trick,easy out tricky in.A good thing to clean an old rifle,every thing but grandmas out house was in the meck.gritty black stuff.My mistake on the model,not a 34 but a 36 and a 29 but identical.Except for the workmanship,the 29 machineing is much finer smoother,the 36 is very good and works great,the 29 innerds are prettier.Thanks big help john

1KPerDay
August 21, 2011, 01:28 AM
Glad it helped. :cool:

Stumpknocker
September 14, 2011, 01:01 AM
I have a Model 31, sling works just fine. My dad bought it new from a Sears store in Tampa back in the late 50's. Great gun, first real gun I ever shot. When I was in high school we'd go down to some old phosphate pits and shoot bottles, cans, etc. I've probably put over 10,000 rounds through it, and it is still one of the most accurate .22 rifles I've ever shot. Haven't had it to the range in a couple of years, might go use up a brick of ammo with it sometime soon.

1KPerDay
September 14, 2011, 12:52 PM
Cool. Welcome. :)

HarleyRock
November 19, 2011, 12:32 PM
Hello everyone, I was cleaning out my grandfathers house and found his model 31. I took it apart and went to clean it and discovered the Cartridge Lifter Spring was sitting in the bottom of the trigger assembly. I have found the break down online but it really does not show how it goes in. I'm assuming it goes on the small pin that is between the two larger pins but not sure. Anybody have any good photos or diagrams of this.
ps..not real sure that it is the correct spring.

6x6pinz
November 19, 2011, 01:35 PM
I have the 28, 29, a few 30's and a few 31's. I have my own little club. Great shooters. Even have the original box and cleaning kit for one of the 31's.

Bonanza35
December 28, 2011, 06:41 PM
Newbie here, but researching the 22s I inherited from my Dad, and 2 uncles led me here. Those rifles are - 1) J.C. Higgins, Model 31, with sling. 2) Stevens, Model 34, and 3)Winchester, Model 67. The 67 is the first I shot, and most used. Lots of great memories. My son is looking forward to getting these handed up to him. Thanks for the info posted.

1KPerDay
December 29, 2011, 02:19 AM
Cool. Welcome!

788Ham
December 30, 2011, 01:36 PM
1KPerDay,

What a fascinating thread! I don't own one of these rifles, but you've done one heck of a job getting guys the right info and other places to look for help.

On one aspect of the cleaning and re-oiling segment. One can use whatever to lube, Rem oil or whatever, one thing I've found, and would suggest to use, Gun Butter. I am in no way associated with this company, or its products, however....... I bought an older Beretta 1935 .32 auto from a pawn shop, nice little pistol, hadn't been cleaned since it left the factory! Ha I bought new springs and had a smith install them, after a 1/2 can of brake cleaner used to clean out years of gunk. I applied this GB "sparingly", this little pistol shoots like a house afire. The GB comes in a small bottle, a short 2" needle attached, gets into small crannies and places normally one can't get to. Might try this lube on the slide and extractor parts of your rifle. Again, use sparingly, this stuff works wonders, like greased lightning!

Thanks for your time.
Jim

Renigeid
December 30, 2011, 01:49 PM
Got an old mod 20 shotgun but no rifle. Bought it in the 50's. Jim

au_prospector
January 20, 2012, 03:39 PM
Seriously,

I saw one in my local gun shop today. I have to go take another look. The stock was light in color, maybe a restock because it was a like striped maple furniture. You know where the grain looks like tiger stripes? I forget what they call it but its common in guitars and such. Anyway the barrel was just a slight bit dirty, but not pitted or anything and the lands and grooves were well defined and sharp. The receiver looked recently cleaned and well oiled.

No marks on the stock, have to go back and see if there is a retractable sling. The barrel had lost most of its blue and had a patina on it that resembled parkarized finish. The stamp JC Higgins was practically worn off, barely legible. At first I thought it said model 313, I could not find a serial number.

Price? $109.00 Should I? The thing caught my attention right away because the light color stock stood out from the other rifles in the case. Is $109 a bargain or am I buying a project?

au_prospector
January 20, 2012, 03:56 PM
Wait a minute, the rifle I was looking at today was a JC Higgins .22 BOLT ACTION tubular fed rifle. The mark said model 31 or model 313, it was worn off. I assumed it was a model 31 until I watched 1kperday's Youtube video with his son shooting a model 31 that was semi-auto action.

1KPerDay
January 20, 2012, 06:02 PM
Sounds like it's pretty worn. However, IMO, if the bore looks good and all the parts are there, it's hard to argue that it would be worth less than a new $100ish rifle today. The old ones have character and history and style that you can't get for $100 bucks today.

I'd take some dummy/action proving rounds and see if it cycles them. If it does, you're probably good to go.

But it's your money. :)

MGRAY
January 20, 2012, 09:04 PM
Everybody needs one of these!

jethro
January 21, 2012, 01:37 AM
I just had the extractor replaced on my 31, so that's taken care of. Now I'm having feed issues.
The cartridge gets stuck between the 2 metal plates, and doesn't feed into the chamber. I can fire off anywhere between 1-10 rounds before it jams. :banghead:

**My sling retracts just fine, but I'm missing the piece that attaches it to the front. If anyone has one, or knows where to get one of those parts, let me know.:)

Thanks

1KPerDay
January 21, 2012, 02:49 AM
As for the feed issues, try a new mag tube spring. have you cleaned the trigger group and cartridge lifter (or whatever it's called) really well?

1KPerDay
January 21, 2012, 02:50 AM
Everybody needs one of these!
That's a beauty! Is that a stock wood finish or did you re-do it?

MGRAY
January 21, 2012, 11:20 AM
Hi,,,bought this several years back with a cracked stock. They have been known to work loose the extension bolt in the reciever that holds the stock on. Repaired the stock and refinished it. The blueing is perfect. Very light rifle. The only rifle my wife enjoyed shooting. Very pleased with the accuracy of the open sights.

benny1636
March 9, 2012, 01:53 PM
Do you guys know where I could get a driving spring for a model 30? I tried Numrich gun parts in 2010, and they sent me a model 34 super spring which didnt work. Then tried them again last week and again, they sent me the model 34 super spring which didnt work. At my wits end trying to find this spring.

1KPerDay
March 9, 2012, 06:37 PM
I might have one... give me a couple days to rifle through my den.

1KPerDay
March 9, 2012, 06:40 PM
Is this the one you ordered?
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=356700G&catid=9558

and they sent you the wrong part? Was it labeled as noted in the link or did they send you a part labeled as a model 34 spring?

crovus
March 16, 2012, 07:16 AM
I have a jc higgins model 28 that belonged to my dad and will soon be passed downto his grandson can we join the club?

Picher
March 16, 2012, 08:01 AM
I don't know about the coat hanger thing, but I did fix my retactable sling by using a 12' tape measure. $1 at Harbor Frieght.

The tape sling may be a bit stiff and slippery, and tough on your clothes, but it may come in handy to measure groups. Measure twice, cut once! :uhoh: ;)

1KPerDay
March 16, 2012, 12:49 PM
LOL :D

Welcome crovus!

efw
March 17, 2012, 10:58 PM
A buddy of mine just gave me one of these.

It hasn't been well cared for; there is rust on the muzzle into the bore roughly (no pun intended) back to the front of the front sight. :banghead:

The stocks aren't in the best shape, either, but the receiver is good.

I noticed where one gent here early on wanted to buy a receiver... I'd sell.

Honestly, I kinda need someone to take this thing off my hands before I end up using it as a project gun to learn how to trim & re-crown a barrel! :evil:

bigstupher
March 21, 2012, 01:00 AM
hey everyone i am a pround owner of a jc higgins model 31 I've been having issues with the bolt getting stuck open it seems there is a part in which i have been unable to identify obstructing the bolt from functioning properly i attached some pictures of the part that is jamming up the bolt if someone could possibly tell me what it is or let me know if they have had issue's with this as well any input or advice would be greatly appriecated

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm111/bigstopher_2008/gunpart1-1.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm111/bigstopher_2008/th_gunpart2-2.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm111/bigstopher_2008/th_22lr2-1-1.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm111/bigstopher_2008/th_gunpart4-1.jpg

1KPerDay
March 21, 2012, 01:09 AM
That's the ejector and it should be firmly attached to the interior of the receiver. Soldered/welded I imagine. Or possibly dovetailed/staked.

Chris-bob
March 21, 2012, 04:12 AM
Hmm, no JC Higgins .22, but I do have a SEARS model 101.52772...does that count?

1KPerDay
March 22, 2012, 03:36 PM
Isn't that a bolt action made by Savage? Not really related to the JC Higgins 31... but you're free to hang out here as long as you like. :D

fdmkb
March 22, 2012, 05:52 PM
I have a jc higgins model 30 that has never been shot. It is in the box but the box is just in soso shape. Does anyone have a idea what it is worth? or should I just go out and shoot it.....

1KPerDay
March 22, 2012, 07:02 PM
A collector might pay more, but they generally go for $250-$350 or so from what I've seen. Someone who knows how good they are might pay quite a bit more.

Post some pics if you can... I'd love to see a NIB example.

Chris-bob
March 22, 2012, 09:57 PM
Fine, I'll just have to find me one. At least I do have a JC Higgins Model 50...not quite a 30.

fdmkb
March 23, 2012, 10:14 AM
Here are a few pictures of my JC Higgins model 30, any idea what it is worth?

fdmkb
March 23, 2012, 10:21 AM
a few more pictures.....thx

1KPerDay
March 23, 2012, 12:21 PM
buy FDMKB's! :cool:

1KPerDay
March 23, 2012, 12:23 PM
Here are a few pictures of my JC Higgins model 30, any idea what it is worth?
Wow! That's amazing. I recommend you keep/shoot it, but if you want to sell it, list it on gunbroker or here in the classifieds and see what you get. You might find the right buyer.

A time-capsule model 30 doesn't come along every day. I've never seen one. :cool:

Gordon
April 26, 2012, 09:32 PM
I have a Model 30 in 90% with the original Sears golden scope and I would want at least $350 for it. I think someone will pay $600-$700 for the NIB one pictured above. Yes NIB would raise the value that much!

fdmkb
April 28, 2012, 01:37 PM
WOW, I would be happy to get $350 for it!! Maybe I should sell it!

Gordon
April 28, 2012, 10:54 PM
Here what I got:
[url]http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=284121255
Lets see where this one ends up?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=284044998

Gordon
May 28, 2012, 01:03 AM
Mine! Likes Remington Low noise hollow point ammo:D
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/gordonhulme/014-1.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/gordonhulme/015-3.jpg

1KPerDay
May 28, 2012, 01:12 AM
Beauty!

richie
August 14, 2012, 04:19 PM
I Bought a Mod.31 this weekend at a gun show, I always wanted one when I was a kid. Anyways I don't believe in dry firing a gun, especially a rimfire. So when I bought it I assumed it worked, anyways it doesn"t, the trigger does not release the hammer. So I downloaded the manual and scematics, seen how to pull the trigger assembly apart. But I think someone took it apart and reassembled it wrong, mine has a spring on the outside of the trigger housing that doesn't look like it does anything. I'm not confident in myself to tear the trigger assembly all apart but I wish I could find some better pictures of the assembly. Was hoping maybe someone here could pull theres out and take some good close up pics from all sides. i would greatly appreciate it.

1KPerDay
August 14, 2012, 07:11 PM
Here you go... dunno if you can see what you need from these pics but I'm not taking this thing apart. :D
click for larger
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/th_0cd4cc6a.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/0cd4cc6a.jpg)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/th_bd458acf.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/bd458acf.jpg)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/th_f73e99f4.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/f73e99f4.jpg)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/th_16291aac.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/16291aac.jpg)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/th_b1938131.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/b1938131.jpg)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/th_e4bd7dff.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/e4bd7dff.jpg)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/th_ed6fd924.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/ed6fd924.jpg)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/th_9034ff2c.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/9034ff2c.jpg)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/th_ba0484e8.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/ba0484e8.jpg)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/th_02bab3d3.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/02bab3d3.jpg)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/th_f1b6fe5e.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/f1b6fe5e.jpg)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/th_25c84c11.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/25c84c11.jpg)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/th_c30afc51.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/JC%20Higgins%2031%20trigger%20group/c30afc51.jpg)

richie
August 14, 2012, 09:18 PM
1KPERDAY, Thank-you vary much, that is certainly a big help, I can see right off that a part is missing, Your pics are perfect, clear and sharp.

1KPerDay
August 15, 2012, 01:55 AM
Cool. Glad it helped.

jelang
August 16, 2012, 03:16 PM
The problem I have found with sear release on models 29,30,34 is that when the trigger is pulled the disconnecter is pulled down and when that happens the sear will not release.The spring tension on the disconnecter is critical (flat or wire) the disconnecter must only move forward.I also stoned a few thou.off the top of the disconnecter.All 3 are now gems,most accurate 22s I own.Anschutz on up

1KPerDay
August 16, 2012, 04:31 PM
Is the disconnector the u-shaped piece on the right side of the group?

jelang
August 17, 2012, 02:22 AM
Yes,the spring,flat or wire lift the disconnecter until the bolt slides over it after fireing and pushes it down,preventing auto fire. .[ pic on left-

jelang
August 17, 2012, 02:28 AM
Your pics,the disc.is #5down with wire lift spring

richie
August 17, 2012, 09:57 AM
Yes the 5th pic. down is the part that is missing from my trigger assembly. I got one on order from numrich, however I haven't recieved a notice that they shipped it yet.

jelang
August 17, 2012, 02:23 PM
I hope you ordered the spring with it.If not you can make one

1KPerDay
August 17, 2012, 02:36 PM
He said above there was a spring on the outside of the assembly that wasn't doing anything, so I assume the spring is present.

Who is Grandpa, by the way? :confused:

richie
August 17, 2012, 02:48 PM
1Kperday is right, the spring is there, I couldn't figure out what it did, it just hung from the pin. I just recieved a notice from Numrich that they mailed it today, so maybe monday or tuesday I'll have it. Hope that fixes the problem. I can't see anything else thats missing, the pics are vary good and when enlarged are still sharp so I can see that everything else appears to be there. Can't thank 1Kperday enough!!!!!

richie
August 23, 2012, 10:26 AM
Well, I recieved the part late monday afternoon, waited till tuesday to install, took it to my uncles house and we compared it to his mod.29, and it was the same. The part came with a note saying it needed to be fitted, so we compared it to his and filed the appropriate areas til we finaly got it to fit and not bind the firing pin assembly. However it still would not fire. We noticed that the part had a little less metal on the arm that tripped the sear when we compared it to my uncles. His part worked perfectly in my trigger assembly, so that had to be the problem. Took it home and mixed up some J B Weld and applied a small dab of it on the arm and set it aside to cure.The next day I reinstalled it and it works perfectly now. So 1Kperday, thanks for helping, your pics really helped me out.

1KPerDay
August 23, 2012, 10:56 AM
Wow! Incredible that you were able to figure out how to modify it. Nice job! :cool:

CR125Honda
January 15, 2013, 03:13 PM
Hi All. New to the forum.
Thought I'd join in with my J.C. Higgins Model 30, (583.70).

It's been in the family since my grandfather purchased it new.
Personally put a few thousand rounds through it when I was a kid.
Dad, and brothers had their fun with it too.
I'd get a couple bucks to mow some lawns in the neighborhood and have cash for ammo. The local Ace Hardware sold a box of 1000 for $10.
Hop on my 1974 CR125 Elsinore (using the strap that retracts nicely in the stock) and ride the trails with my buddies to find a good place to shoot.
Lots of memories & good clean fun..

Considering it's age and amount of use it's gone through over the years, it's in pretty good shape.

Just pulled it out of storage.
Shot some rounds and had a few failure to load, a couple failure to eject and failure to fire.
Working on the cartridge lifter for the load issue.
It wobbles on the pin a bit much causing the cartridge to get wedged between the lifter and the magazine throat.
Got a new pin on order (Numrich), no luck finding a new lifter.
Probably going to peen around the hole to tighten it up and possibly widen the area where the lifter contacts the cartridge (weld/file,etc.).
Took the ejector out of the bolt. Cleaned, lubed, etc.
Thoroughly cleaned the inside of the receiver, paying close attention to where the ejector rests. Pulled lot's of gunk out of there.
I think the few failure to fire's were caused by the old Remington ammo I have.

One of the rings on the original scope is broke.
Ordered a new ring from Numrich. Tried calling before purchasing but Obama must have their phone ringing of the hook. I couldn't get through.
We'll see if it's the right one when it get's here.
The tightening screw is also stripped.
It only goes about halfway through the hole. A new screw about 1/4" to 3/8" longer, would probably do the trick.

If anyone knows a source for the ring, give me a holler. It is original and clamps on to the scope base. Same for the tightening screw.

Regards, Ken

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc173/CR250Honda/JC%20Higgins%20Model%2030/046_zps4f5b9633.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc173/CR250Honda/JC%20Higgins%20Model%2030/048_zps28edeae0.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc173/CR250Honda/JC%20Higgins%20Model%2030/054-1_zps95df762f.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc173/CR250Honda/JC%20Higgins%20Model%2030/056.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc173/CR250Honda/JC%20Higgins%20Model%2030/062.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc173/CR250Honda/JC%20Higgins%20Model%2030/070.jpg

1KPerDay
January 15, 2013, 03:29 PM
Beautiful wood on that old workhorse!

When you removed extractor, was there a spring behind it? Sometimes they fly out and people don't realize it's supposed to be under spring tension. Good luck with the lifter and let us know how your repair goes. :cool:

CR125Honda
January 15, 2013, 04:02 PM
Thanks 1K..

Yep. That's one of the areas I just worked on.

There's a spring, extractor plunger (below), and finally the extractor (single claw) on this model.
The plunger is grooved and has to be in the right position for the extractor plunger retaining pin to fit through the bolt.
The retaining pin also has a flat side to it that has to be positioned correctly to fit through the bolt hole.
A pin without a flat side would be stopped by the plunger.
Figured that out 30 some years ago when I made a new pin out of a nail...
Just made another one out of a drill bit.
The repair is going well so far. Waiting for some parts from Numrich.

Thanks again, Ken

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/pub/ProductImage/451290.jpg

1prcntr
January 15, 2013, 07:48 PM
My Model 29 won't fully go into battery. The bolt hangs up about the last 1/16 or 1/8 inch and has to be pushed the rest of the way. Any ideas? It stumped the last smith I took it to.

1KPerDay
January 15, 2013, 07:58 PM
Is it clean? Check the extractor. If you remove the extractor and it goes into battery, you know the extractor or the extractor cutout in the barrel is to blame. Another thing to check it make sure the ejector/tab that's dovetailed into the left side of the receiver is not moving around. if it's loose it may hang up the bolt.

1prcntr
January 15, 2013, 08:00 PM
It's clean. I'll check the extractor. It has had a blue million rounds through it BTW.

1prcntr
January 15, 2013, 08:06 PM
1k, I dropped the action and it goes into battery with no problems

1prcntr
January 15, 2013, 08:20 PM
Feels like the hammer is causing pressure on the rear of the bolt. Everything is smooth until you put action back in. Would that still be an extractor issue?
Thank you for your assistance. I would like to get this one up and running to give to my youngest, as I got it from my Dad.

soonerfan85
January 15, 2013, 08:21 PM
I was all set to buy a 31 at an estate auction last year thinking no one else would be interested in it. I liked the fact it looks different from other semis. With the charging handle on the left, it favors the Remington 552 Speedmaster. Anyway, the dad burn gun sold for nearly $200. My limit was $100. Don't you just love gun auctions! :what:

1KPerDay
January 15, 2013, 08:27 PM
1k, I dropped the action and it goes into battery with no problems Interesting... check the stock screw and make sure it's not too tight and compressing the action, or interfering with the bolt in some way.

Also... when you say "put the action back in", do you mean the trigger group into the receiver or the entire receiver into the stock?

Try this: remove the stock and trigger group, and cycle the bolt and see if it's okay. If it is, put the trigger group back in without the stock. If it doesn't work, something's wrong in the trigger group. The shell lifter, probably. If it works without the stock, something on the stock is rubbing or binding.

1prcntr
January 15, 2013, 09:44 PM
OK, will do. Yes, I meant the trigger group. I'll get after it again tomorrow and let you know how it turns out. I appreciate the help.

Steve

thewheelman
October 27, 2013, 04:56 PM
I'm new to thr and literally stumbled across this thread. I have a Model 31 for which the bolt and trigger assemblies are soaking in mineral spirits as I type. What a nasty little gun! I inherited it some years ago and it's sat in a closet gathering more dust until I decided to get it out and operating again. What I'm trying to do now is remove the stock so I can soak the housing for the above mentioned assemblies without ruining what little finish is left on the stock. What size is that nut? Is it a nut? How do I get the stock off (I'll probably refinish it as well before the project is over)?

Also, this gun does not have the retractable strap, but clearly says it's a Model 31????

Got it! Found a stock bolt on ebay and the pic showed that it's a slotted screw head. Stock is now off! What about the strap? This gun has a notch and what appears to be 2 screw holes where other pics show the strap slot.......

Thanks in advance!

thewheelman
November 8, 2013, 12:19 AM
Ok, I found out some model 31's had retractable slings and some didn't. So, what mystery piece goes in the notch on the stock where the sling slot is on the sling-equipped ones? Wow, that was a mouthful! I'm working on refinishing the stock now but there's obviously a piece missing. I haven't seen any pics clearly enough to know what it is except it looks like a little piece of metal.

Anyone got any pics of this piece, what it is, or where I could find one?

I think I'm going down to Hobby Lobby and buy some white sheet plastic and make myself a butt plate spacer.

Thanks!

1KPerDay
November 8, 2013, 12:43 PM
You can sort of see it here... It's just a plate I believe.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/bb397b2a.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/29f245d5.jpg

MBA33
July 6, 2014, 10:30 AM
I just acquired a JC Higgins model 33, 22 cal pump rifle.
Nice gun, good lines, feels great. It doesn't look like its been fired much.
Maybe there is someone who can help me with some problems I am experiencing.
1) it doesn't fire about 10-20% of the time
2) it doesn't extract spent shells about 10-20% of the time
I replaced the firing pin(Numrich).The firing pin was broken at the notched end. The extractor looks fine but I replaced it anyway (double prong). I got the extractor from my model 29 parts gun.
I stripped and cleaned the bolt, it wasn't very dirty, neither was the trigger assy.
It looks like the firing pin doesn't always hits sharply. Also there is .004" more clearance on the bolt face to where the bolt butts up against the barrel as compared to the model 29 bolt. This to me looks like there may be excessive clearance between the primer and the bolt face when the bolt is shut.

7mile630
August 2, 2014, 01:28 AM
My first rifle (new). Can't remember 30 or 31. Sure like to have one again. Looking.

If you enjoyed reading about "The JC Higgins Model 31" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!