K98K Mauser Feeding Issue

PDA

jonnyc
February 26, 2007, 07:05 PM
Had my Israeli .308 out for its first baptism of fire, at least with me. Out of 50-60 rounds, 5 or 6 fed into the chamber but failed to engage the extractor claw. I could easily have thought it was a total failure-to-feed and jammed a new round into the one already there. I don't want to think what may have happened then (BANG!). I'll have to test more, but I think most/all were the first round from the right side.
Is this an extractor issue?
A mag spring issue?
Help.
Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "K98K Mauser Feeding Issue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr.Rob
February 26, 2007, 07:42 PM
That's controlled feeding, so your first round didn't pop into the gap, rather you pushed it forward. I'd suspect the extractor, rather than the mag spring being the culprit. make sure the rounds are seated all the way back in the magazine.

Try it with dummy rounds (snap caps), see what happens with 4 instead of 5.

Your Mauser should load even upside down.

jonnyc
February 26, 2007, 08:18 PM
I hate this.
Another gentleman, on another site. Just said it's definitely the mag spring!

For now, I'll run with extractor. Is there a technique to "tune" it in some way?
I'll go now and check it with 4 and 5 rounds.
Thanks.

Dr.Rob
February 27, 2007, 12:17 AM
Ok on mine, the round bolt picks up the round by the rim and the extractor holds it into place, just before you close the bolt the round is snapped up into place in the bolt face by the feed ramp. Even works upside down.

As you withdraw the bolt the cartridge should be completely against the bolt face and under the claw extractor, as it comes back it's spring free of the action completely.

I suspect you have some junk under the extractor or it's worn/chipped.

cracked butt
February 27, 2007, 12:28 AM
Check the underside of the extractor for a bur.

jonnyc
February 27, 2007, 06:11 AM
Will do, thanks.

50caliber123
February 27, 2007, 07:00 AM
not to hijack or anything, but I have a mauser kar98k in 8mm with a question. I thought that all mauser 98's had CRF not push feed. This rifle relies on a push feed, as in if you pull the bolt back while feeding a cartridge, the bolt doesn't hang on to the cartridge. Is that normal?

cracked butt
February 27, 2007, 10:50 AM
The extractor won't grab the rim until the rim slides up under it, as in when the cartridge is nearly chambered.

Dr.Rob
February 27, 2007, 02:00 PM
If the extractor doesn't engage, it's become a push feed.

50caliber123
February 27, 2007, 03:48 PM
should a 98 mauser be a pushfeed or do I need a new extractor?

If you enjoyed reading about "K98K Mauser Feeding Issue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!