Anybody remember Weaver D-4 scopes

PDA

Old 112
February 26, 2007, 09:38 PM
I am thinking about buying a Glenfield 60, and it has an old but very clear D-4 mounted on it. How much value would any of you put on this old Weaver? Old 112

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody remember Weaver D-4 scopes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rangerruck
February 26, 2007, 11:59 PM
if it si in great shape, all steel, El Paso made, they routinely go for 80 or more bucks here in houston.

LHB1
February 27, 2007, 12:07 AM
I remember the Weaver K-4 scopes but I don't recall Weaver D-4 scopes. Were the D-4's an earlier model, perhaps straight tubed? Still have the K-4 my Dad bought in 1957.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

Old 112
February 27, 2007, 12:24 AM
rangerruk, the glass and clarity were very good. All steel and no rust, pits, or dings. I was not able to check adjustments, but I will ask for a couple of days to check that out. I have done buisness their before. And yes, it says El Paso. As a kid, I used to read all the ads for Weaver scopes in Outdoor Life, and what Jack O' Conner wrote about them. Old 112

Old 112
February 27, 2007, 12:52 AM
IIRC, the D-4 is a 1/2" or 3/4" straight tube that was made for 22 rifles. I believe they were contemporary with the K-4. Old 112

Gordon
February 27, 2007, 01:33 AM
I have a D-4 on an old 513 Remington . It is a 7/8" scope-hard to find a set of rings:uhoh: !

LHB1
February 27, 2007, 03:23 PM
Quote: "IIRC, the D-4 is a 1/2" or 3/4" straight tube that was made for 22 rifles. I believe they were contemporary with the K-4. Old 112"

OK, Yes, I not only remember that scope but owned one. (Didn't know it was called D-4 however.) It was HORRIBLE, very dark, off center crosshairs, narrow exit pupil, narrow field of view, and took 3/4" rings. I would NOT put one on a gun again. IMO you can buy MUCH BETTER 1" scopes now.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

Carl N. Brown
February 27, 2007, 05:16 PM
I have a D4 which is a 7/8" tubed scope, which was
brighter and had a wider field of view than most older
.22 rifle scopes. The D4 was like a fixed power version of
the V22, a 3 to 6 power variable with a 7/8" tube.

You may be thinking of the G4 a 3/4" scope. They were
dim, narrow field of view. Heck, I have an old
Weaver G4 on an old Savage singleshot .22 rifle.
As you adjust the crosshairs, they move within the
circle of the field of view. More modern scopes which included
the 1960s Weaver B4 .22 scope and K4 high power rifle scope
move a circle containing the crosshairs always centered
as you adjust.

You can get a 1" economy deer rifle scope nowadays
for the inflation adjusted price of one of those old
1960s Weaver B4s (B4 for 9.95 in 1963 vs a 4 power,
32mm objective Simmons for 30.00 to 40.00 in 2006).

KHawk
February 27, 2007, 07:46 PM
As to the durability of Weaver's older scopes; I am the third owner of a Weaver V-12 from the 1960s that is still clear and shoots MOA groops on the 1960s Rem. 700 ADL 30-06 that it came with. I have not once considered replacing it.

aka108
February 27, 2007, 08:28 PM
Don't know about the D scopes but in the late 40's put a Weaver G6 on a Remington 512. Stamped El Paso. Still on the rifle, maybe be adjusted 3 or 4 times over the years, just as good as the first day I had it. Also acquired a Weaver V scope at a garage sale for 5 bucks. Cleaned it free of all the rust speckles and she's as good as new. The old ones are not only good, they are great.

Danny Creasy
February 27, 2007, 10:09 PM
I have a D4 and a V-22. I purchased them from Peck Ace Hardware in the early 70s when I was a kid. They are indeed 7/8ths inch scopes. They are not what I would call an "all steel" scope. They may have a steel tube but the turrets are made of plastic. My V-22 turret split when I tried to adjust the windage too far when using it on an air rifle that suffered from the barrel being out of line with the receiver.

Those two scopes have alot of found memories for me. I killed a couple of groundhogs with that V-22 mounted on a Marlin 783 .22 Magnum. They were far more servicable than the 3/4 inch cheapies out there. And, the D4 did in a sack load of squirrels and rabbits when mounted on my single shot manually cocking bolt action Stevens (actually their "Springfield" line).

I paid less than $20 each for them then and I bet that is about all a novelty collector would give you for one of them now.

BillinNH
February 27, 2007, 10:41 PM
I have a Weaver D4 scope which I took off a Ruger 10/22 made in the 70's. The scope is a 4x20, 7/8ths diameter tube and has standard 22 clamps on it. Nothing wrong with it, it is bright and clear, but I wanted something with a bigger objective. Mine doesn't say El Paso, just USA.

So far, I haven't found a use for it. Maybe I'll rig it up as a finder scope for one of my telescopes.

Bill

sixgunner455
February 27, 2007, 11:08 PM
Had a K4 on an old 700 once. Fell on it hunting elk. Bell is bent. Bout cried. Then I thanked my lucky stars that rifle has real sights on it, and went back to hunting.

terry264
February 28, 2007, 04:07 PM
First scope I ever bought was in '62, a Weaver B-4 (1/2" tube), with the rain turret covers. Still trying to wear it out. LOL

Carl N. Brown
March 1, 2007, 04:24 PM
Weaver .22 riflescopes in my accumulation:
(overlook the shabby scans please)
These are not the only Weaver .22 riflescopes by a long shot!

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=54168&stc=1&d=1172784112

The G4 is an oldie: notice that the eyepiece is not much
larger than the scope tube itself: small eye lens,
narrow field of view. It is a 3/4" tube. It is all
steel but the glass.

The B4 I first owned in the '60s had the hard plastic
turret with tear-drop shape soft plastic caps for the
adjustment screws. This B4 is a precursor: it has open
metal adjustment screws and adjustment housing.
It too is a 3/4" tube.

The mounts on my B4 and G4 are the classic Weaver
.22 Tip-Off mount.

The V22 and D4 were later than the B series and have 7/8"
aluminum tubes, plastic adjustment turrets with screw caps
and plastic eyepiece bells. (The D4 is shown without the caps.)
The aluminum and plastic V22 and D4 are much lighter than
the steel B4 but not as robust. The V22 mounts are made
of aluminum and the D4 mounts are the earlier pressed
(and heat treated) steel mounts.

I have seen Weaver B6 and D6 scopes (six power) but the
trade-off for more power is a dimmer image and narrower
field of view.

The Marksman M1-4x is a .22 scope that resembles the
classic Weaver K4 high power scope. I used this Marksman
for a while on a .303 Brit sporter before using it on
my Marlin Model 60 .22 and I believe it is a tough scope.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody remember Weaver D-4 scopes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!