Colt 1991A1 vs Sig P220

PDA

zeko
February 27, 2007, 07:02 PM
Looking at a couple of .45ACP semiautos, both used, both identically priced. One is a Colt 1991A1, the other is a Sig P220. Having owned and shot only Springfield and S&W handguns, I don't have experience with either Colt or Sig. Any comments, preferences, etc. would be welcome.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt 1991A1 vs Sig P220" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GunNut
February 27, 2007, 08:06 PM
zeko,

How much money are you talking about for them?

I really like both guns, but just yesterday picked up a Colt 1991A1 for $459OTD.

I'm still planning on picking up a Sig P220 later on.

So in THR fashion the answer is: BOTH

The real question is which first? To which the answer is depends on the deal.:D

Steve

Ala Dan
February 27, 2007, 08:09 PM
If you can't afford both, grab the SIG~! ;)

You won't regret it~! :D :cool:

jklinstein
February 27, 2007, 08:21 PM
I plan on getting a 1911, someday. But for a defensive pistol I don't think you can go wrong with a SIG 220. But that's just my opinion.

HorseSoldier
February 27, 2007, 08:22 PM
I might go Sig first, but both are excellent. One of each is better than either one by itself.

Geno
February 27, 2007, 08:28 PM
I just rented a couple of Sigs last week. They shot very well. They were considerably heavier than the Colt 1911 that I own. Both makes are accurate systems, and the Colt has the better trigger. The magazines both hold 8 rounds...the same quantity. So I am left with weight, location of manufacture and all else equal. I would go Colt. If I had the funds for both, I would get both. If you have funds for only one, support America and get the better trigger.

Doc2005

jwerlc
February 27, 2007, 08:37 PM
Not technically a 220, I found a P245(compact size 220) brand new for 510.00 and a 1911 Officer size clone(Charles Daly) for 310.00. I like them both and I seem to be a little more accurate with the Sig, but I have only had a chance to put 50 rounds through both. :D

camper
February 27, 2007, 08:43 PM
Go with the Sig. I have both and never think about the Colt Mod. 70.

10-Ring
February 27, 2007, 09:07 PM
I prefer the Colt ;)

Baba Louie
February 27, 2007, 09:11 PM
You've shot both Springfields (1911's?) and S&W auto's right? So you know the triggers'll be different. The 1911 will weigh more than the alloy frame 220.

After market doo dads favor the 1911 if that matters.

Since I've already got a few 1911's I'd opt for the P220... maybe... I'd have to practice with that trigger design for awhile until I had it down. YMMV

What do spare P220 magazines run nowadays? Leather?

No... No. No, I'd go with the Colt. Yeah, the Colt. Definitely the Colt. Gawd, I'm in such a predictable rut. It's a sickness I tell ya. Obsessive Compulsive 1911 Syndrome. help me.

Get the 220, before someone else does. (Is the Colt blue, stainless...) :D

Geno
February 27, 2007, 09:47 PM
Let's make this painless. You like both. So, either way, you can't loose. Go pick up each, and choose what feels like love-at-first-touch, then, never look back! :D

Doc2005

SoCalShooter
February 27, 2007, 10:15 PM
Get the COLT. Its a 1911 you cant go wrong with it especially since its a Colt.

GreenFurniture
February 27, 2007, 10:17 PM
If the Colt wasn't a 1991 I would say to get it.

But since it is.................

SIG ALL THE WAY!

hrgrisso
February 27, 2007, 10:23 PM
While I love 1911's. I learned to shoot on my dads carry pistol from WW2 fer crying out loud!

Me likey the Sigs! I love the "Oh Crap" look the local SO's (except for one irritating Sargeant who can actually shoot!) get when I show up at the range! :)

Sorry not dissing LE's in general just poor marksmen!

Anyways, I love the accuracy of the Sigs and the trigger can't be beat!

tbtrout
February 27, 2007, 11:39 PM
I would also take the Sig over the 1991.

MICHAEL T
February 28, 2007, 12:00 AM
COLT !!!!!!!!:)

jlh26oo
February 28, 2007, 12:05 AM
Is this 220 SAO version vs. the colt? Because that would be a good face-off. Otherwise, DA trigger configuration is going to make this kind of apples/oranges.

Good news it's a win-win situation regardless what you choose.

I guess I volt cote.

never_summer
February 28, 2007, 12:11 AM
after getting my kimber i think ive joined the 1911 cult. The trigger is too damn nice that i dont think ill wanna shoot anything else

Black Majik
February 28, 2007, 01:03 AM
Both would be formidable defensive pistols. It really comes down to what type of action you prefer? Do you like SAO or DA/SA. For myself, I love the 1911 platform, with the SIG platform shortly following. But when it comes to 1911s, Colt's really aren't my thing. I drink the koolaide, believe in all the hype and marketing... and I do like my guns tighter fit. So it comes down to this: If this is your first 1911, go for the Colt. If you have a 1911 already, go for the SIG

Tezcatlipoca
February 28, 2007, 01:35 AM
SIG.

Easy to use built to last forever.

Todesengel
February 28, 2007, 01:53 AM
+1 for the P220

Nomad, 2nd
February 28, 2007, 01:57 AM
I am a single action SNOB. While Sigs are well made guns...

I can't see any advantage, and hate doubleaction.

Go with whichever fits you best/you shoot best.

rugerfreak
February 28, 2007, 02:13 AM
NEW---for the same price???-----easy----SIG.

Used----what's the condition of each??? I'd be inclined to take a newish 1991 over a beat up ol SIG---if both are in good condition---I'd take the SIG.

AK103K
February 28, 2007, 07:33 AM
Since you say they are used, has the Colt been messed with? There really isnt anything to do to the SIG to worry about, at most, maybe different grips, but the 1911's are a different story. People just cant seem to leave a good thing alone, and tend to booger them up with questionable aftermarket accessories.

The other thing is, does the Colt have the plastic trigger and MSH? Not a biggie really, but they always bugged me, and I always replaced them with older Colt steel. I also like a lanyard loop on my MSH's.

Sights are another issue with the 1911 you need to watch. If the front sight isnt dovetailed, at some point your going to want or need to, as the staked in sights tend to come off over time if the gun is shot a lot. The SIG's are better here and usually come with better sights anyway. They are easy to swap for night sights if they dont have them, or they are dying, and you can easily do it yourself.

Mags are another issue. There are a million different 1911 mags floating around, some good, some not, some work, many dont. Buy Colt, certain GI contract mags, and maybe Wilsons(if you dont mind you mags loaded with lint :) ) and you should be fine. SIG's, are a little easier, buy SIG or Novaks and your fine.

I own both. My 1911's dont get out much these days, and my favorite Colts are the only ones I now have left. Once I switched to SIG, I never looked back. New or used, they have worked 100% out of the box, require no fiddling with, or add on gadgets to bring them up to speed. They are boringly accurate and very easy to shoot well with. They come with great sights and great triggers out of the box, DA/SA, DAO, DAK, doesnt matter. If your used to S&W DA triggers, the SIG will be very easy to adjust to.

rbernie
February 28, 2007, 08:01 AM
So I am left with weight, location of manufacture and all else equal.As pretty much has been pointed out already, all else is NOT equal. The Sig will not have as nice a SA trigger and does not support C&L carry, but in return you'll get an light weight alloy framed pistol that will be the epitome of stunning consistency. No mag issues, no HP feed issues, no fragile alloy feed ramp issues, no plastic bits issues, no extra locks, no fluff - just a plain ol' pistol that's build like a Swiss watch and that works every time you pull the bang switch.

If you want the absolute best alloy single-stack 45ACP for just shootin' and not for worryin' or pimpin', I'd suggest the P220.

loplop
February 28, 2007, 09:38 AM
You'll need to shoot them and see which one you prefer. Back when I bought my first pistol in 2004, I shot quite a few makes/models and settled on a 1911 or Sig P220. I liked both, but I shot the 1911 a little better, and I liked the history, so I went with it.

Now, a few years later, I have come full circle and pared my 1911 collection down for some SIGs. I really do like the P220 platform, and with a good one, I shoot it just as well or better than my 1911's. As mentioned above, they are quite reliable, and feed just about anything. I also find the SIG easier to take down and care for, although it isn't a huge difference.

There is indeed a big difference in triggers. I don't think much is better in the shooting world than a good 1911 trigger. I didn't mind carrying cocked and locked, either, but over the years I've settled into the idea of DA/SA. I don't find the different trigger pulls difficult to get used to, as some have, and I find the SIGs trigger to be very very good.

One more note: if the SIG is a CPO "certified preowned" I bet it's the better "deal." Of the CPO SIGs I've seen, most appear nearly new, whether from lack of use or refinishing at SIG, I don't know. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy a nice tight CPO. It looks like many I've seen lately have been refinished by SIG, too, so you get that benefit as well.

I was a history major, and many in my family have carried 1911's in time of strife, so I have a real soft spot for the platform. It's reason enough to own a few. But honestly, I'm preferring the SIG platform for carry and use now, so I'm transitioning for my heavy-use guns. YMMV, have fun shooting whatever you buy.

zeko
February 28, 2007, 01:21 PM
. . . who responded with their experiences. Looks like either one is serviceable, although the sig seems to be somewhat preferred. "All" I have to do now is arrange funding :-) and hope someone doesn't beat me to the punch.

Thanks again to everyone . . .

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt 1991A1 vs Sig P220" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!