Springfield 30/30 Bolt Rifle?

PDA

doubleg
February 27, 2007, 08:50 PM
I spotted one today in my local gun shop's used gun rack. Appeared to be in very good condition, the wood stock was well cared for and the blue was around 80 - 85 %. Does anyone have any information on this rifle? I looked through all of my gun value books and I found no information about it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield 30/30 Bolt Rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mustanger98
February 27, 2007, 08:54 PM
The Springfield Model 325, according to my info, is the same rifle as the Savage Model 340. Both were chambered for .30-30Winchester. Near as I can figure, anything under $250 and you're doing good. My Savage is a good shooter. This model gives you more leeway about shooting spitzers, but unless you single load, you have to make sure your handloads will feed through the magazine.

doubleg
February 27, 2007, 09:02 PM
:cool: Thank you very much for the info.

doubleg
February 28, 2007, 02:48 PM
:) I'm nervous. I'm going to go back to the store later to check out the bore and the muzzle crown and if all is well I will bring her home! I will have some pics for you guys.

mustanger98
February 28, 2007, 03:01 PM
Good luck.

Hemicuda
February 28, 2007, 05:34 PM
those guns are junk, TOTAL junk... they are SO bad that you need to go get it, pay whatever it costs, and send it DIRECTLY and IMMEDIATELY to my FFL, so I can dispose of it corectly for you...

My Father and I each own one, his came used with a scope, I hadta have mine scoped... they use a simple sidemount and angled plate for the scope base...

they shoot like a MILLION bucks, and are a pleasure...

Mags are a bit rare, and pricey... Dad only got one mag, and hadta pay Numrich gun parts about 30 bucks for a spare... I only got one, but found a second used one at a small gunstore/pawnshop... (the guy said he had one when I asked, then when he found it, he told me it'd be a bit "expensive" then said "gimme 10 bucks"... I gave him 10 bucks!)

If you reload, because they don't use a tube magazine, you can put pointed bullets in them, and make it shoot faster and flatter than a standard 30-30 levergun, and the gun is hell-bent for stout!

zero_chances
February 28, 2007, 05:39 PM
I got a stevens version of that gun. Its a great shooter. Its louder than my 30-30 lever gun though, not sure why.

doubleg
March 1, 2007, 08:53 PM
http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/9527/0301071752dh4.th.jpg (http://img122.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0301071752dh4.jpg)

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/6751/0301071752axb9.th.jpg (http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0301071752axb9.jpg)

Here they are. Its a great little rifle! Light and quick. But the bolt is rough:scrutiny: . Are all of yours the same way? Also how do I remove the bolt from the reciever?

doubleg
March 1, 2007, 09:14 PM
Nevermind on the how to feild strip it question. I just pulled the trigger while the bolt was back and it fell right in my lap! :)

Hemicuda
March 1, 2007, 09:18 PM
Mine is as smooth an a newly powdered baby's bottom... clean the bolt, action, and all internal locking lugs CAREFULLY, and re-lube with QUALITY stuff, like Breakfree CLP...

Bolt removal - open bolt, pull back about halfway, pull trigger (gun IS unloaded, right?) and pull bolt out back of rifle... simple as that... (safety OFF when trigger is pulled, for removal of bolt)

doubleg
March 1, 2007, 09:23 PM
Yes the bolt was COVERED in dirty grease :mad:. How can gun owners have such disregard for firearms?

Hemicuda
March 1, 2007, 09:53 PM
when I store one long term, I grease it up but good... but all cleaned up, I'd suspect it will be one SMOOTH bolt...

SO, you gonna take my earlier advice and send it to my FFL so I can take care of it safely for you? I have his FFL papers here right now! :evil:

How many mags didya get with it?

mustanger98
March 1, 2007, 10:02 PM
I see your's has a recoil pad; mine has the original hard plastic buttplate. Also, from the cut of the wood around the mag well, I'd say your's is older than mine. Nice light-colored wood though.

I store mine greased up pretty good too.

gezzer
March 1, 2007, 11:05 PM
Note Stevens and early Savage guns are becoming very collectable. Who can afford old Winchesters now? I couldn't 25 years ago.

rangerruck
March 2, 2007, 12:21 AM
I agree with all the above, if you go to Collector's firearmsn here in Houston, they allways manage to have 1 or 2. And they price them quite proudly as well.

doubleg
March 2, 2007, 07:47 AM
I only got 1 magazine but I'll track some more down when I have the time. Even after cleaning the bolt is still rough. Its headed to the gunsmith tonight. Its such a cute little gun I wont take it back.

Hemicuda
March 2, 2007, 10:00 AM
I dunno WHY your's is rough, except that mine is quite a bit older (Mine's a Savage Mod. 325-B) and mine has the "butterknife" bolt handle, and not the knob type like yours...

Mine is also pretty ugly... most of the bluing is turned to patina, and the stock is in varnish, not oil finish...

I will be fixing this in the near future, but for now, it's an ugly gun... (but a VERY accurate and smooth one!)

mustanger98
March 2, 2007, 10:32 AM
It just crossed my mind that the guy wanting the "ugly un-tacticool sleeper" ought to refer to this thread.

doubleg
March 2, 2007, 11:59 AM
The only thing ugly on mine is the funky looking trigger and trigger guard. Other than that its purtty.:D

KHawk
March 2, 2007, 09:42 PM
I had a rough bolt on a used Remington VLS 223 rem that took both hands to open. Tuned out the previous owner had never cleaned the firing pin assembly.

Just squirt the thing full of WD-40 and let it sit over night. In the AM squirt it again and see if it will drain a bunch of black gunk out the hole.

That was all it took for mine to slide like silk.

Hemicuda
March 2, 2007, 11:14 PM
Please NEVER use WD-40 (gummy goo in a can) on a decent firearm... BAD idea... it is a WATER DISPLACER, and a VERY POOR lube and cleaner...

here is something that really WILL help clean thhe bolt... (and I am serious)

remove the bolt, and then get a big pot of water boiling... drop the bolt in, and boil it for 10 minutes... (the water will only get to 212 degrees, and WON'T change the metallurgy) then remove the bolt from the water, and shake excess water out, leave sit on counter until it cools (99.9% of water will evaporate!) then oil it thouroughly with GOOD gun oil...

you can even stand the action in the pit and boil it out... then oil it CAREFULLY and THOUROUGHLY... (remove it from the stock before boiling it...)

WD-40 is ACTUALLY "Water Displacer formula number 40" and does well at displacing water, or removing price-tag goo... but does NOT belong in the works of a firearm... (but it does well, if you had one out in the rain or snow, on the OUTSIDE of the gun!)

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield 30/30 Bolt Rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!