Proud to be a gun free home.

PDA

jagdpanzer347
February 27, 2007, 10:19 PM
Greetings all. Just wondering how many anti-RKBA types would be willing to advertise the fact that they live in a firearm free home. Nothing to ostentatious, no flashing lights or anything. Just something about the size of a realtor's sign, with the title of this thread printed on it, in their front yards. Sort of a "put your money where your mouth is" concept. Thoughts anyone?

-jagd

If you enjoyed reading about "Proud to be a gun free home." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P5 Guy
February 27, 2007, 10:27 PM
I'd love to see that! Most likely never happen though.

BigBlock
February 27, 2007, 10:27 PM
And while they're at it, they could just tattoo targets on their foreheads. :uhoh:

JCF
February 27, 2007, 10:30 PM
Not many I'd wager. Although I'm not particularly crazy about the idea of anyone making me put a sign up advertising the PRESENCE of firearms in my home either.

Smith357
February 27, 2007, 10:32 PM
People are already advertising their longing to be a victim at work with the cute little no gun signs.

Hook686
February 27, 2007, 10:35 PM
And while they're at it, they could just tattoo targets on their foreheads.

This is the High Road ?

trainwreck100
February 27, 2007, 10:43 PM
Smith357: Texas' signs are even better..."Pursuant to code 30.06".....

skinnyguy
February 27, 2007, 10:50 PM
I see them quite a bit during election-time. It's not as clear as "Proud to be a gun-free home", but it says much the same thing - what they DO say is

VOTE DEMOCRAT

Nomad, 2nd
February 27, 2007, 10:52 PM
I'll do it!

Hunting over bait...:D

telomerase
February 27, 2007, 10:53 PM
People are already advertising their longing to be a victim at work with the cute little no gun signs.

Yes, hoping that one of us will save their bacon when it comes down to it.

raytracer
February 28, 2007, 01:03 AM
I keep trying to get local business that post to use this sign. So far, no takers.

http://www.digitalriverproduction.com/files/ccw/gunfree.jpg (http://www.digitalriverproduction.com/files/ccw/gunfree.pdf)

Feel free to safe the file and print your own (I recommend coward yellow card stock), maybe you'll have better luck.

Joe

QuestionEverything
February 28, 2007, 01:15 AM
I see them quite a bit during election-time.

If anyone thinks I must be unarmed because of my political stance, they're welcome to kick my door in some night. I'd be happy to... correct their misconceptions about liberal Democrats.

Seriously, if you yoke the 2A to the Republican party, its fortunes will mirror those of the Repubs. And since the Republicans have screwed the pooch about as badly as possible and are now rapidly declining, that would be a bad idea.

BigBlock
February 28, 2007, 03:52 AM
This is the High Road ?

Yeah, what does that have to do with anything? Anybody who advertises they have no guns is advertising to criminals that they can do whatever they want to them with little or no consequence - rob, rape, murder, whatever. It's the same as tattooing a target to your head.

Cybrludite
February 28, 2007, 05:16 AM
Raytracer,

I may have to sneak one of those over to the local Whole Paychecks Market and attach it above their "Please Mug Our Customers" window markings. :neener:

rocinante
February 28, 2007, 05:55 AM
I do not advertise I have guns at home because I am afraid of thieves. I do not tell my neighbors and tell my kids to tell no one. Of course the wife tells the most juvenile delinquent kid on the street about my toys :) Guns are sought after. Once I saw thieves go into a vacant apartment, go through the wall to steal a gun collection.

JonP
February 28, 2007, 06:43 AM
I see them quite a bit during election-time. It's not as clear as "Proud to be a gun-free home", but it says much the same thing - what they DO say is

VOTE DEMOCRAT

I wonder whose house is more likely to be undefended by firearms, Bill Richardson's or Rudy Guiliani's.....:scrutiny:

Cybrludite
February 28, 2007, 06:51 AM
Trick question. You really think Rudy's bodyguards are going to be unarmed? :rolleyes:

armoredman
February 28, 2007, 09:23 AM
Love that sign, sir...

Rock_Steady
February 28, 2007, 09:35 AM
Do what I do. Ignore the signs. If I'm carrying concealed correctly, they won't ever have the chance to see my firearm. Now, if the store has a stripsearch policy, I may be hesitant to enter.

There's a jewelry store nearby that my wife likes to frequent - it has on the door one of the most loophole-free signs I have ever seen - basically says no guns. I have asked the manager if he thought the sign would stop a criminal coming to rob him - got a dumb look as a response. I carry there anyway.

Malone LaVeigh
February 28, 2007, 11:32 AM

VOTE DEMOCRAT

Anyone who takes such a sign to have that meaning at my house will be sorely surprised.

.cheese.
February 28, 2007, 11:35 AM
For what it's worth - I wouldn't want to have a sign saying that "This home has guns" either.

.cheese.
February 28, 2007, 11:36 AM
raytracer - that's great.

That's getting plastered at Costco as some point. ;)

(nahh.... I wouldn't do that - aside from it being possibly illegal, they never actually posted "No guns" signs here in Florida because they don't mean anything.)

JWarren
February 28, 2007, 11:41 AM
I don't know... I perhaps would consider putting that first sign on my property.

Remember--- it never says that *I* am not armed.

Signs like that are "bait." You better believe that a burgular would see a No Guns Household sign as an invitation--- unless they were specifically stealing guns similar to a crime ring that's been going on around here. In that case, they just wait for you to be gone and break in.

Get a gun safe and bolt that sucker in all.

John

February 28, 2007, 11:45 AM
Here's one for the owners to wear when they're away from their nice safe gun free house.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/4192/download3phpfw9.jpg

skinnyguy
February 28, 2007, 11:45 AM
Please understand that I meant no disrespect to the REAL non-politico driven democrats out there.

My meaning is that the elected dems tend to be more aggressive in the restriction of the rights we have, and I fully understand that the repubs have supported the restriction of those rights. However they have INITIATED fewer restrictions than the dems.

Apologies to those I have offended.

mmissile
February 28, 2007, 11:46 AM
Awesome thread!! I'm gonna have to see how many liberals I know, would do this.:D

Ragnar Danneskjold
February 28, 2007, 11:52 AM
Do what I do. Ignore the signs. If I'm carrying concealed correctly, they won't ever have the chance to see my firearm. Now, if the store has a stripsearch policy, I may be hesitant to enter.

Be careful with that. I believe that in some states, if the store owner puts up a "no guns" sign, it is legally binding. Carrying anyways would be like carrying without a CCW.

AndyC
February 28, 2007, 11:55 AM
People who put up signs like those remind me of King Canute and the sea - living in a fantasy-world, not reality :rolleyes:

XLMiguel
February 28, 2007, 12:01 PM
Back in VA I had the "whaddaya need a gun for?" conversation with a couple of my bliss-ninney neighbors. I recited the litany of violent and property crimes that had occurred over the last year within a mile of our 'nice' neighborhood. I allowed as firearms come with the requirement of a certain amount of maturity and responsibility, and maybe weren't for everyone, but I did emphasize that everyone needed a home defense plan beyond 9-1-1, be it OC, Louisville slugger, 7 iron. I also challenged the more adamant 'no guns' folks to go ahead and post their property as a 'gun-free zone'. No takers:rolleyes:

Freaking hypocrites. The big joke came on New Years day a couple winters ago when there was a warm burglary down the street and one of the same idjits wanted to borrow a gun . . . . :banghead: You can lead a whore to culture, but you cna't make her think.

#shooter
February 28, 2007, 12:38 PM
Skinnyguy - My meaning is that the elected dems tend to be more aggressive in the restriction of the rights we have, and I fully understand that the repubs have supported the restriction of those rights. However they have INITIATED fewer restrictions than the dems.
I would disagree. GWB and his old crew in Congress loved to restrict our rights. Both parties want to restrict your rights, they just argue over which rights they want to restrict.

shooterIII
February 28, 2007, 01:13 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/shooterIII/None%20Hunting%20Pictures/Greatsign.jpg

beaucoup ammo
February 28, 2007, 01:40 PM
In Texas, any signage forbidding firearms on the premises of a retail establishment (or wherever), must be of correct size and contain verbage that's verbatim to the "30 - 06" law on the books.

A circle with a gun inside and a strike slash across it won't hold up in court..if it get's that far.

We were told this more than once at our CHL class by the instructor and the LEO on hand for finger printing.

This was August of '05..if it's changed, I'm not aware of it.

chris in va
February 28, 2007, 01:49 PM
I see the 'no guns' sticker on a few places here in Virginia. According to VA law it doesn't hold water legally until you refuse to leave, which is a misdemeanor.

PaladinX13
February 28, 2007, 02:23 PM
Greetings all. Just wondering how many anti-RKBA types would be willing to advertise the fact that they live in a firearm free home. Nothing to ostentatious, no flashing lights or anything. Just something about the size of a realtor's sign, with the title of this thread printed on it, in their front yards. Sort of a "put your money where your mouth is" concept. Thoughts anyone?I think this is something you don't want to seriously endorse because the people willing to do it live in conditions where they probably will NOT find themselves the victim of a crime, sign or no sign. Generally speaking, crime is NOT rampant and our streets are not running red with blood from the victims of lawless predators prowling on every block.

If you put yourself in the shoes of the criminal for a second, if you're the type of criminal to even bother to stop and read a sign then you would probably be the same type to consider the legitimacy of such a sign... it is real or just "bait" to draw you into their house? Why do they even have a message presented for you (the criminal in this thought experiment) to see unless they were expecting you and have some sort of contingency for planned for you? The whole thing would smell "off" and if you did indeed strike, it would only be because you properly cased the target- guns or no guns, sign or no sign.

Think about this in another light. It is common knowledge that school campuses are disarmed. No signs necessary. And yet, while there certainly are some instances of crime on campus, by and large I doubt most students on campus find themselves victims of a crime despite their vulnerability.

The point is, while this is a "fun" little thing to preach to the choir with... it's not an argument or technique that will get you taken seriously in a real discussion with an anti-RKBA (unless you're both just spouting dogma and catch phrases). Besides the fact, even if they did live in a high risk environment, I think the purpose to convert them to a pro-gun stance, not get them killed or victimized.

Mr White
February 28, 2007, 02:26 PM
Looks like Oleg already has this situation covered.

http://www.a-human-right.com/s_doors.jpg

ConfuseUs
February 28, 2007, 02:31 PM
The wife sticking the Brady Campaign sticker on her car parked in the driveway does not mean that hubby doesn't own a Glock that he umm... "forgot" to tell her he bought/owned.

cbsbyte
February 28, 2007, 02:31 PM
A majority of Americans live in gun free homes. The chances for a criminal breaking into a home with firearms is probably remote in most parts of the country. Even if the owner had firearms it is even more remote they would actually use them to defend themseleves.

PaladinX13
February 28, 2007, 02:38 PM
http://www.alphecca.com/mt_alphecca_archives/002976.html
(See the table in the link above)

While it's true that the majority of homes don't have guns (the nation taken as a whole), some states guns in the household are the majority, and in all but the worst [for gun owners] states, the chances of picking a home with guns are pretty high.

imprezagm4
February 28, 2007, 02:57 PM
http://www.keepandbeararms.com/images/No_to_Guns.jpg

SoCalShooter
February 28, 2007, 03:00 PM
Probably wont see it, even the sheep dont want the BG to know they are sheep but they want to be sheep so bad that they take away everone elses right not to be a sheep.

Andrew Rothman
February 28, 2007, 03:24 PM
DD-B writes in his Carry Journal (http://dd-b.net/carry/journal/) that he found one such household.

http://dd-b.net/carry/journal/data/ddb%2020030729%20010-003-300.jpg

He asks if they are "The Bravest Household in Minneapolis? (http://dd-b.net/carry/journal/data/20030729.html)"

:)

PaladinX13
February 28, 2007, 03:37 PM
Let's put it this way. How many of you would put a similar sign on your home for a year if you were promised the EBR, .50 cal, or custom 1911 of your choice at the end (having a break in or quitting counts as a forfeit)? Not everyone, I'm sure, but there would absolutely be some takers who would win taking that deal. My town, for example, is over 250 years old with only 1 recorded break-in all that history.

This "challenge" has more to do with crime stats than anything meaningful to the RKBA and doesn't make us look particularly bright in a debate... particularly because we are not, by and large, advertising the presence of guns in our homes... so it would be disingenuous to claim a deterrent effect (especially, as mentioned in the stats above, a significant percentage of homes have guns).

What you'd really want to show is that gun-owners are victimized less by burglary/home-invasions. I'm sure guns are a factor (as something to fear or perhaps to steal), but probably low on the list in determining whether a home is a suitable target or not. Probably first on the list is how easily they'll get away with it, something mitigated by a dog, alarm system, watchful neighbors, or ever present family more than an inanimate firearm.

We have to think critically about our own arguments if we want anti-gun people to take us seriously. The man in Minneapolis isn't the bravest, by far, all he did was apply a little common sense to his own situation (that his likelihood of proving his point far outweighs his own risk), something we have to remember to do.

GunInUrPocketorRuhappy2Cme
February 28, 2007, 05:14 PM
i just have to say, this thread has the best illustrations i've seen so far.

and to respond to someone's earlier point, i know a lot of liberals who would be willing to openly admit they do not carry guns, but because that is because they live in these states where gun ownership is not in the majority (or THE MINORITY), and they think they have nothing to worry about.

i'm sure these same liberals will be wetting their pants and wishing for firearms if, god forbid, something does happen to their homes.

Beagle-zebub
February 28, 2007, 07:03 PM
According to that GunFacts sheet, the likelihood of a burglary ending in the burglar getting shot by the homeowvner is equal to that of the burglar getting caught by police. (1.6%, or so.)

WildcatRegi
February 28, 2007, 08:00 PM
I worked with a lady with two daughters - no husband - who during the 60's riots in Detroit put a sign on her porch - 'No firearms here'.

She said she did this because all of her neighbors were making a big point about picking up a shotgun or whatever for their houses and she wanted to make her own statement.

Good for her, however, she also told me her two kids were in therapy because they were worried that the Russians might attack the US - go figure.

cambeul41
February 28, 2007, 08:11 PM
I might put out such a sign for an adequate prize -- of course I wold be lying.

XLMiguel
April 4, 2007, 07:56 PM
So, for most of the 'faithful' here, isn't puting up a "Gun Free Zone" (or equivalent) like hunting over bait?:D

The Amigo
April 4, 2007, 08:14 PM
I live in a gun free home... they have never been locked and are everywhere:D

Juna
April 4, 2007, 08:34 PM
And yet, while there certainly are some instances of crime on campus, by and large I doubt most students on campus find themselves victims of a crime despite their vulnerability.

Not a safe assumption at all. When I was in college, there were far more robberies, burglaries, thefts, and rapes on campus and in the surrounding neighborhoods for the size of the area than there are in the urban area I live in now. Fewer murders by far, but much more of the other crimes listed above.

College students are easy targets--always on cell phones or ipods, leaving doors unlocked, leaving windows open, stumbling around drunk, going out late at night, not aware of their surroundings, etc. You'd be amazed how few people lock their doors on a college campus. Plus, even if one person does, his/her roommates are just as likely to leave it unlocked when they leave.

SoCalShooter
April 4, 2007, 08:48 PM
I live in a gun free home... they have never been locked and are everywhere

You have FREE-RANGE GUNS eh?

Mr White
April 4, 2007, 09:05 PM
You got tht right Juna.

I work in and used to live in a big college town. Burglaries, theft of unattended property and simple assaults were a way of life when I lived there.

Now, serious assaults, robberies at knife and gunpoint and shootings are more the order of the day. Convenience store robberies are very common. Rapes and sexual assaults are much more common as of late.

During the day, campus and town are VERY safe. I feel no need to carry and am not permitted to carry while at work, but on the rare occasions I go to town at night, Mr 9mm comes along for the ride.

The whole liberal, lets love everyone, we'd all be safer if we banned guns mentality is very prevalent there. I guess that's why crime rates in the college town are steadliy rising but all the outlying little podunk redneck towns where everyone is armed still have very little crime.

rchernandez
April 4, 2007, 09:22 PM
So, for most of the 'faithful' here, isn't puting up a "Gun Free Zone" (or equivalent) like hunting over bait?

Exactly! If I put up a "Gun Free Zone" sign, I'm afraid they'll charge me with entrapment.

Titan6
April 4, 2007, 09:30 PM
This could give a guy ideas... If you post a gun free victim zone sign... And then just kind of wait for someone to show.... :evil:

You could always take the sign down before the meat wagon shows up...

I'm kidding...

MachIVshooter
April 4, 2007, 09:30 PM
According to that GunFacts sheet, the likelihood of a burglary ending in the burglar getting shot by the homeowvner is equal to that of the burglar getting caught by police. (1.6%, or so.)

Burglary is not the same as home invasion. Someone breaking into an unoccupied home is unlikely to be shot by a homeowner that isn't there.

I would also like to point out that odds of being shot and odds of facing an armed homeowner are not the same thing; what is the percentage of homeowners chasing off thugs with a gun or firing and missing? I'd bet much higher than 1.6%.

Robus
April 5, 2007, 01:25 AM
I agree with those who say they wouldn't care to advertise the presence of guns in their home either. That could get you burgelerized even quicker.

Keep the bad guys guessin', I say.

Damien45
April 5, 2007, 01:57 AM
If my neighbor posted that sign, I would promply post this one:

http://irritationstation.com/Photos/odiwan/fsbn.jpg

chemist308
April 5, 2007, 02:26 AM
Attention Felons: This house is safe to enter as it is not protected by a Winchester security system. Don't mind the people inside if present--they'll just be huddled in a corner fearing for their lives and screaming at a 911 operator.

Nothing deters a break in quite like an NRA sticker in window. Just makes them ask, how sure are we that house is empty...ya know there's another nice one down the street...

PaladinX13
April 5, 2007, 08:38 AM
Not a safe assumption at all. When I was in college, there were far more robberies, burglaries, thefts, and rapes on campus and in the surrounding neighborhoods for the size of the area than there are in the urban area I live in now. Fewer murders by far, but much more of the other crimes listed above.

College students are easy targets--always on cell phones or ipods, leaving doors unlocked, leaving windows open, stumbling around drunk, going out late at night, not aware of their surroundings, etc. You'd be amazed how few people lock their doors on a college campus. Plus, even if one person does, his/her roommates are just as likely to leave it unlocked when they leave."By and large" means the majority which means "a greater likelihood" not "absolute assumption"... unless you're trying to say "the majority of those who attended school are victims of crime" which is patently false. Further, as you point out, the majority of those crimes are the theft of material goods that rarely allow for the legal intervention of lethal force.

Whether or not you can find examples of crime rising or crimes where it would have been better for the victim to have had a gun has no bearing on the fact that most people's experience- especially that of a anti you're trying to talk to- is of campus being safe. If you try to speak in other terms, it's probably not going to be grounded in their personal experience or even reality necessarily.

deltacharlie
April 5, 2007, 10:18 AM
i've asked that of several anti-gun lib snobs before.
usually they just get annoyed, but not a single one of them has put their money where their mouth is and done the deed....huh, go figure.

and i use the same thing for anti-death penalty and pro-criminal crowd. i frequently ask them to sponsor a murderer/rapist, allow the con to come live in their home for a year or two while they look for a job and try to be "rehabilitated" back into society. you know, let a murderer come live 24/7 in your nice liberal (gunfree) household with access to their belongings and children.
funny, none of them have ever taken up that offer either. instead they get mad and try to change the subject.
again, never want to put their money where their big mouths are.

-terry
April 5, 2007, 01:40 PM
"anti gun lib snobs", sigh.....

Zen21Tao
April 5, 2007, 01:46 PM
Just wondering how many anti-RKBA types would be willing to advertise the fact that they live in a firearm free home.

Maybe this guy would:

http://blog.joehuffman.org/content/binary/CarriesNoGun.jpg

Ohioan
April 5, 2007, 01:49 PM

AMEN BROTHER!!

Elza
April 5, 2007, 07:50 PM
GunInUrPocketorRuhappy2Cme: i'm sure these same liberals will be wetting their pants and wishing for firearms if, god forbid, something does happen to their homes.Sort of like the old joke:

“What is the definition of a conservative?”
“A liberal that has been mugged.”

lamazza
April 5, 2007, 09:31 PM
Great sign! I like the part that says "Violators Will Be Prosecuted'...And how do they intend to enforce that?

If you enjoyed reading about "Proud to be a gun free home." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!