Bought a new Ruger 22/45 Today!

June 7, 2003, 12:42 AM
I just brought home a new Ruger 22/45. I shot it - and it shoots well, but I have noticed a couple of things that I really don't care for.

1. The magazine doesn't want to catch unless it is driven home vigorously.

2. I need to adjust the rear sight a little more to the left than it will allow. Hopefully this will not be a big problem in the long run, as I plan to put a red dot scope on it soon.

The guy I deal with at the gun shop all the time told me that the gunsmith (which stops by this gun shop every wednesday) - who is very competent, and does nice work - can affix weaver style mounts to the gun, so I don't have to spend a huge amount of money on ruger bases and mounts. Opinions on this?

Opinions and experiences with this gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "Bought a new Ruger 22/45 Today!" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
June 7, 2003, 03:06 AM
heh...i picked up one today too! (standard blue bull barrel for 209, 219 w/ tax) been waiting for payday to roll around...and just my luck, a gunshow is in town the same weekend. :D By the time I left the show, it was getting towards dark, so I'm waiting until tomorrow to shoot it. looking foward to it, and will report back my opinions.

June 7, 2003, 03:56 AM
I love my 22/45....This gun gets shot more than any of my others combined.

But you are right, you gotta drive the mag hard to engage the catch...

And check a company called Volquartsen for do it yourself scope rails...they are pretty cheapo.

June 7, 2003, 04:00 AM
Nope, never mind, the scope rails need predrilled and tapped holes, but you can have your gunsmith do this.

June 7, 2003, 06:16 AM
My mags seat hard too. I just got used to it. I think it's a 22/45 thing, because both of mine do it!! :rolleyes:

June 7, 2003, 07:14 AM
I have a 22/45 and it has a great trigger. Just wait until the first time you disassemble it. They are a bitch to reassemble. :)

June 7, 2003, 07:49 AM
You can also get a no-gunsmithing mount from Weigand Combat that works real well.

June 7, 2003, 08:00 AM
Go with the Weaver mount, it will be more versatile in the long run, you may choose to mount a "reflex" red-dot instead of a "tube" etc. In any case get a red-dot with a small (3 - 4 MOA or less).

June 9, 2003, 02:39 AM
....and love it! I stopped at the range saturday afternoon, and put not even 30 rounds through it. Initial impressions?

1) LOUD! It's been a couple weeks since I was able to shoot a .22 pistol, and I had muffs on that time. Plus, my earplugs were "in my other pants." I didn't realize how much louder a pistol is than a rifle!

2) The mag catch is slightly annoying, but similar to my 597, I just have to smack it in to seat it. Not a problem AFAI'm concerned...just a "quirk"

3) Field stripping WAS a bear at first, but I've gotten used to it now. The first night I had it, i took it apart and put it back together at least 6 times (except removing the barrel...that takes a bit of force). By now, it's pretty easy.

4) Accuracy is well...I dunno. I haven't had time to sight it in, and wanted to get off the range ASAP. Normally I don't, but the mosquitos were KILLER that night, and I was wearing shorts, t-shirt, and sandals. Not a good combo. :( So, unfortunatly I limited myself to 3 mags, plus >10 single shots of Colibri's and CB's.

Overall, I think I'll like it. Hopefully I'll get it sighted in soon, and be able to enjoy it more. I still want the baby walther (p22), but that can wait. :D Also...that one is easy to strip, but reassembly is harder than the ruger IMO.

June 9, 2003, 11:12 AM
By far and away, the best red-dot mounting system for Mark IIs and 22/45s is the SoLow mount.

Much lighter and easier to install than any other system.

June 9, 2003, 11:30 AM
I love my solo mounts on my MKII...

If you enjoyed reading about "Bought a new Ruger 22/45 Today!" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!