What does everyone see in the XD?

PDA

Eyesac
February 28, 2007, 01:16 PM
I was a long time Polymer (Glock) hater, until I started carrying a full size 1911 everywhere... Changed my mind real quick, and now I carry a G27. But in a recent poll here, people came out of the woodwork recommending the XD. Why? Just don't understand why, am I missing something?

If you enjoyed reading about "What does everyone see in the XD?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nomad, 2nd
February 28, 2007, 01:23 PM
The Glock 21 is the same frame size as the 10 MM glock. This makes it unnecessarely large.

(Gaston not being a 'Gun guy')

The XD is made 'Correctly' (If I can use that word) specifically for the .45, and Egernomicaly(SP?), with the lines of the gripframe very similar to the 1911.

Previousley, Glock owners said ether:
1. Make your hand fit the Glock
2. Get a Grip reduction done.

Now there is another option...

ugaarguy
February 28, 2007, 01:25 PM
The XD has a better grip angle for most folks and many prefer the XD's trigger over the Glock's. Many folks also like the XD's grip angle and find the XDs easier to takedown than Glocks. The XD45 really got things rolling when put 13 rounds of 45 ACP into a gripframe only slightly larger than their 9mm/40 S&W/357 SIG frame guns; the Glock 21 is huge in comparison. Glock is hurting so much that they're releasing a 4th Gen gripframe starting with a slimmed down G21.

InnerVision
February 28, 2007, 01:26 PM
For me, Glocks do not point naturally. That's why I bought an XD. I like the way glocks look compared to the xd, but they just don't feel good in my hands.

Black Majik
February 28, 2007, 01:43 PM
Not to mention I feel XD's trigger is better than Glocks...

They're both ugly
They're both around the same price
They're both reliable and durable.

So clearly XD has the advantage here... ;)

mljdeckard
February 28, 2007, 01:54 PM
I honestly think if the U.S. military opened a round of trials for a polymer-framed, DA-only, high-capacity pistol, the XD would be VERY tough to beat.

I switched from a Glock back to a 1911.

Rinspeed
February 28, 2007, 02:21 PM
What's not to like, they are reliable and fairly accurate. If they fit your hand well you should be very happy with one.

battlehatch
February 28, 2007, 02:37 PM
1. 13+1 in .45acp
2. Grip safety
3. Easy takedown
4. Did I mention 13+1 capacity?

Scorpiusdeus
February 28, 2007, 02:42 PM
While my answer won't be entirely rational, it will be honest.

For me, the XD fits my hand better. I enjoy shooting it and am more accurate with it vs the Glock. Admittedly I haven't shot either of them very much.

My other issue is completely personal. Every time I hear some gangbanger tug talk about a gun, it's not a gun it's a Glock. In almost every gangster movie the knuckle heads have a Glock. It just makes my lack of love for the Glock turn to dislike.

Black Majik
February 28, 2007, 02:45 PM
While my answer won't be entirely rational, it will be honest.

For me, the XD fits my hand better. I enjoy shooting it and am more accurate with it vs the Glock. Admittedly I haven't shot either of them very much.

My other issue is completely personal. Every time I hear some gangbanger tug talk about a gun, it's not a gun it's a Glock. In almost every gangster movie the knuckle heads have a Glock. It just makes my lack of love for the Glock turn to dislike.

Oh my. Welcome to THR Jason :D

psyopspec
February 28, 2007, 02:47 PM
For me, it's not what I see in the pistol, but what I feel.

A high-cap (.45, in my case) that fits my hand and is accurate and reliable.

HorseSoldier
February 28, 2007, 02:51 PM
I don't really care much for the Glock or the XD, but I do find that the XDs generally point more naturally for me, and that the XD 45 feels a whole lot better in my hand than my Glock 21 ever did.

12many
February 28, 2007, 03:13 PM
Same here. At first I was looking at the Glocks due to all the good reviews and popularity, but the XD just felt better in my hand and I liked the grip safety. I also vagely recall warranty being a plus for me, but not a deciding factor since I would probably not need the warranty on the Glock.

Chad

tinygnat219
February 28, 2007, 03:24 PM
Glocks don't work for me. It's that simple. The XD does, and often for a cheaper price. There's yer answer :D

Stinger1
February 28, 2007, 03:33 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was a long time Polymer (Glock) hater, until I started carrying a full size 1911 everywhere... Changed my mind real quick, and now I carry a G27. But in a recent poll here, people came out of the woodwork recommending the XD. Why? Just don't understand why, am I missing something?

Glocks have been around for quite some time, and they have proved themselves time and time again in tests and in the field. I own a couple and have no complaints. They are still among the best sidearms made.

That said Glocks haven't changed much since they were introduced. Now since other makers have come on board they have made new innovations internally as well as externally. Ruger, Springfield, S&W, Taurus just to name a few, improvements have been made. IMHO you'll see XD's and M&P's start to replace Glocks in military and police use. It's just a matter of time. Now for me the XD takes first position for the same reasons already mentioned.

If you're happy with your Glock that's cool, if you ever get the chance to try out an XD you might like that too.

RC

steveracer
February 28, 2007, 04:01 PM
Ergonomics are MUCH better.

johndoe1027
February 28, 2007, 04:06 PM
Go to a shop that has an XD and a Glock (doesn't matter which flavor or size of each). Take the XD (make sure it's unloaded) and close your eyes. Put the gun up (as if you were aiming) without looking then open your eyes. The sights will be VERY close to being aligned properly. I tried it 8-10 times and it was off once. Now try that with a Glock. It doesn't work as well for me with the glock.
It seemed to me that the XD's barrel was higher than the Glock which I have heard increases felt recoil. I am not sure about this, just the way it looked and felt to me.
That and the added safety of a grip safety (I wish my M&P had one) makes the XD a good choice. It is IMHO the UGLIEST popular polymer on the market, but it works and, gosh darn it, people like it. I do not care much for the trigger but I have heard that you can really tweak an XD trigger if you have a good smith.
Say that 3 times fast, popular polymer, popular polymer, popular polymer.

johndoe1027
February 28, 2007, 04:15 PM
except for the fact that I noticed earlier that when I aim with the M&P, my wrist is turned down, not straight out like an XD. I think the XD is bigger because of this arrangement.
The M&P is not perfect but I like it A LOT better than either the Glock or XD. I went into the gun store 2 weeks ago intent on leaving with a G26 or a XD 9SC. I didn't even know about the M&P and hadn't considered it at all. I was in there holding one then the other and the girl behind the desk handed me the compact M&P. Two seconds later she was putting the G26 and the XD back in the case while I drooled. :p
sorry about the minor hijack, I won't do it again. On this thread at least.

CountGlockula
February 28, 2007, 04:48 PM
Hand grip is VERY subjective, because every shooter's hand is unique.

Personally, the Glock grip is good for me...point, aim and bang; fits my hand...accurate as heck. Now I can take it a step further and grab some sand paper. That's what's great about Glocks you can customize.

Not to hijack the thread, but you should look into an HK P2000...grip is awesome too.

kentucky_smith
February 28, 2007, 04:49 PM
They'll both seem silly when the M&P hits the shelves.

+1

Eyesac
February 28, 2007, 05:15 PM
I've shot both plenty of times in comparison of each other. Actually I think the trigger on the Glocks is better IMO, but the grip of the XD was a lot more comfortable (not grip angle but diameter), I however didn't like how the barrel sits way up off my hand. Sounds like everyone just likes the Grip angle over the Glock. Now I know.:)

GunNut
February 28, 2007, 05:24 PM
They are good guns, just like Glocks. So choose the one that fits.

I personally like the Glock better and still believe that it is a proven platform, where the XD is still proving itself. That is not to say the XD is bad at all, i've actually owned a few XD9's, an XD40 and an XD45, they just weren't for me.

I too have noticed that their are quite a few XD homers here who recommend them at every opportunity, even when they are not a option from the original poster.:neener:

ugaarguy
February 28, 2007, 05:27 PM
They'll both seem silly when the M&P hits the shelves.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a very broad and universal assertation. For many folks Glocks do have better ergos than other pistols. For others, including me, the XD's ergonomics work very well. I've handled M&Ps - the new plastic shell shuckers, we all know that real M&Ps are 6 shot blued steel K-Frame perfection :neener: - and their grips hit my knuckles in an uncomfortable way. The FN FNP feels good in my hand too.

The above paragraph illustrates the whole issue of what folks see in XDs, and other polymer pistols for the matter, over Glocks. Of course there's no reason to segregate ourselves into pistol tribes by brand. I'm glad that there are so many good options out there so my fellow pistoleros can easily find a quality gun that fits them.

johndoe1027
February 28, 2007, 05:28 PM
I however didn't like how the barrel sits way up off my hand.
Me either.
Sounds like everyone just likes the Grip angle over the Glock. Now I know.
And grip safety.
Hand grip is VERY subjective, because every shooter's hand is unique.
Yep. That's why it took me exactly 2 seconds to decide on the M&P over the G26 or XD.

Walkalong
February 28, 2007, 05:46 PM
Feels great, great sights, good to very good trigger, easy to shoot well, accurate, reliable, simple to field strip, reasonably simple to detail strip, easy to clean even if just just field stripping, well designed, let me count the ways. The big deal is they are great guns and people love em.:)

I feel that way about Glocks,:barf:, but obviously they are good guns and many people love them too.:uhoh:

legion3
February 28, 2007, 06:01 PM
13 + 1 of ACP in a grip that feels like a 9mm in girth...as far as the M&P won't it just be another 10+1 45 ACP?

briansp82593
February 28, 2007, 06:07 PM
i just like it because
accurate
durable
comfortable to shoot
easy take down
nice cap for .45
good finish
comes with holsters and goodies
cheap...er
mags r uber cheap
cons
sights arent the greatest
they dont make the 4in compact in 9mm :evil:
very hard to find parts
the finish on older guns rust
my girlfriend wont let me get one :mad:
but besides that they are great

cslinger
February 28, 2007, 06:10 PM
Count me among the XD45 folks. I have a compact and essentially have a more comfortable Glock 30 when I want it to be small or a more comfortable Glock 21 when I want a full 14 rounds. I have pretty small hands and having a full size double stack .45 fit my hand, that is also a spectacular gun is just great.

Somebody coined the phrase Glock 2.0, I tend to agree now that they have addressed the finish issues.

tbreed725
February 28, 2007, 06:23 PM
if you hold and fire an XD then you will understand

Nil
February 28, 2007, 06:26 PM
I tried both the Glock and XD out and I prefer the latter by a wide margin. The grip fits perfectly in my hand, it points naturally, trigger is good and it's accurate. I've put over 2000 rounds through my XD9 now in the last 1.5 months and haven't had a single malfunction. The Glock is just as reliable and accurate but the grip is atrocious. Whoever decided on those finger grooves needs to be dragged out into the street and beat up.

Eyesac
February 28, 2007, 06:40 PM
if you hold and fire an XD then you will understand

I've shot plenty of XDs, and that's why I was wondering what all the fuss was about.

Whoever decided on those finger grooves needs to be dragged out into the street and beat up.

I agree that they're kinda goofy...

briansp82593
February 28, 2007, 06:58 PM
if you want them then you want hogue... atleast you can take them off

SuperNaut
February 28, 2007, 07:22 PM
I agree with with all the other stuff mentioned in this thread, but foremost, I prefer the takedown procedure of the XD over the GLOCK.

Boats
February 28, 2007, 07:55 PM
XD45-Let me count the ways.:D

1. Great capacity in a relatively slim grip.
2. NO FINGER GROOVES!
3. Proper grip angle.
4. Ambi mag release.
5. Grip safety.
6. Same Finish
7. Lesser price.
8. Just as tough.
9. Just as accurate.
10. Better case head support.
11. Conventional rifling.
12. Takes SIGARMS night sites
13. Better take down.
14. SA updates their website monthly.:cool:
15. The Croats have actual and recent combat experience.
16. Looks better, but still relatively ugly.
17. No Clintonista features like some M&Ps
18. No space gun styling cues. (Only Beretta really pulls that off. M&P :barf: )
19. Never a magazine disconnect.
20. No cult of Gaston to deal with.

tango3065
February 28, 2007, 08:36 PM

They like that they have to send it back to SA if it ever needs repaired, like when my buddies grip spring broke. He was pissed that it broke but more pissed they would not send him a 2 dollar part, he sold it the same day it came back.

SuperNaut
February 28, 2007, 08:42 PM
No, I don't like that. However, SA doesn't advertise perfection, So Im not very aggravated about it...

TheWanderer
February 28, 2007, 08:45 PM
I owned an XD 4" 9mm for awhile and sold it because for me, it does not fit my hand well. Glocks fit my hand much better than XDs and I do not like the grip safety in either them or 1911s. If I had a .45 I'd rather have the Ballester Molina model, something designed like the Hi Power, rather than a grip safety.

Redneck with a 40
February 28, 2007, 09:24 PM
I love my XD-40 because the ergonomics are perfect for me, I have smallish hands, but the grip fits me perfectly, trigger reach is perfect, it feels great in my hand. When I pick it up, the XD falls into my hand very naturally. Like others have said, the XD points very naturally as well. I'm very accurate with my XD, I like the trigger, makes rapid fire easy:D , its been 100% reliable through 1200 rounds, whats not to like? It was priced right also, bought mine in 2002 for $469. SA has awesome customer service, a lifetime warranty, and they now have a custom shop that will install packages on your xd, trigger jobs, refinishing, sights, ect. When I factor all of this in, the XD is a clear winner.

Redhat
February 28, 2007, 09:29 PM
Mastinson,

Still singin' that same old tired song?:D

YoPedro
February 28, 2007, 09:59 PM
The most compelling reasons to own an XD:

It's not a Glock. You won't be compelled to wear the silly Glock t-shirts and other Glock Club paraphernalia that Glock owners like to traipse about in. You are not required to drink Austrian Kool-Aid to own an XD. You’re supporting an American Corporation and poking your finger in the eye of those who don’t.

Mastinson,

Manufacturers have guns returned for repair so that that they can figure out why and how the broken part failed. It helps to resolve possible manufacturing issues. Having a tantrum and selling a gun the day after it is returned? Sounds like a road rage candidate that is probably better off not owning any firearms. Perhaps you could suggest to your friend that he take up interpretive dance as a hobby and leave the guns for the more level headed.

Redhat
February 28, 2007, 10:05 PM
:uhoh:

tango3065
February 28, 2007, 10:12 PM
Still singin' that same old tired song?

Nah don't have to, there plenty of other people to do that.

http://www.volny.cz/glock/html/tested.htm

http://theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Itemid=40

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htweap/articles/20070209.aspx

http://www.lesjones.com/posts/003938.shtml

The Xd is a very good gun but I see on every forum someone trying to compare them with the Glock and IMO there is no comparison, but they say imitation is the best form of flattery and if that is true the Glock has really turned some heads because every gun company and their brother is trying to copy them. Like them or hate them the Glock has revolutionized the handgun market as we know it, and it can clearly be seen with all these other company's trying to achieve Glock status with a polymer handgun.

denfoote
February 28, 2007, 10:18 PM
I see hype!!
Almost every gunrag I pick up has several full color advertisements for it!!!
It's a polymer version of something called the Spectre. A gun that was an amalgamation of the 1911 and the Glock!! I don't think it ever got off the ground!!

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7874515

Redhat
February 28, 2007, 10:20 PM
I agree,

It don't work like a Glock, look like a Glock, feel like a Glock, or shoot like a Glock...

and that's why I like it:D

tango3065
February 28, 2007, 10:22 PM
Dang denfoote I hadn't seen that one yet :barf: , I don't think it get a lot of buyers.

ugaarguy
February 28, 2007, 10:50 PM
but they say imitation is the best form of flattery and if that is true the Glock has really turned some heads because every gun company and their brother is trying to copy them.
Well the tables have turned. The upcoming G21 SF is Glock's attempt to copy the XD45 and make a hi-cap 45 ACP pistol that fits more hands. Ohh, and let's not forget the H&K VP70 which was the original high capacity, striker fired, polymer frame semi-auto. What was that about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery? ;)

Seriously Glocks, XDs, etc all have their merits. I typed the above paragraph to illustrate that everyone copies each other. If one company didn't look at another's succesful product, incorporate its positive aspects, and correct its negative aspects in their new design the market would stagnate. There would be no innovation. The engineers at HS in Croatia incorporated features from Glock, SIG, and the 1911; and added their own design features into what we now know as the XD line. Glock has seen what HS & Springfield did to take market share and they're responding with an updated design. It's adapt or get left behind. Let's get out of our "silly little tribes" as Tamara would say, and honestly look at each pistol's strengths and weaknesses.

lee n. field
February 28, 2007, 11:15 PM

I've got one, I seem to be able to shoot it pretty well, and I can shoot handloads without undue worry.

The only downside I see is the current situation with parts.

tango3065
February 28, 2007, 11:17 PM
Like I said they are all good guns, Glocks are not for everyone I understand some people have different hands. Glocks however are simplicity at its best or 70 - 75% of Leo's wouldn't trust their life daily with them, also Glocks have been tortured in a way that irks me but it did make me a believer in how tough they really are. As for the XD the are a nice reliable gun for the price but everywhere I turn someone is trying to compare them with a GLOCK :scrutiny: . Shoot what you like and be proficient with it. :) .

As for the original question "what does everyone see in the XD" After shooting one and looking at the inters I don't really know the answer to that either, other than they go bang when you want them to but so do other guns. Also SA parts and repair policy is _________ stupid but its their company.

hankdatank1362
February 28, 2007, 11:21 PM
http://pictures.auctionarms.com/5087182852/fe1c77f9749e6331371315c2e5315352.jpg?aa=20070228191702

This has got to be the ugliest bastardization of JMB's brainchild I have ever had the misfortune to witness.

The inventor should be pistol-whipped.

Or keel-hauled, for you nautical types. I'm a stanch supporter of keel-hauling, but that's another story for another time.

SouthpawShootr
February 28, 2007, 11:26 PM
I don't really see much in it at all. Current models are right up there pricewise with Glocks. Years ago, the HS2000 and early XDs made a name for themselves as being exceptionally reliable, durable, and at least as accurate as comparable Glock models and with a more comfortable grip to boot. The grip doesn't really suit me that much. The gun isn't the bargain it once was. Springfield won't sell parts to the public, so any repairs have to go right back to them.

Now I fully realize that a significant segment of the shooting public don't do well with Glocks. XDs are there to help out.

As I said before I don't particularly care for XDs, but I wouldn't hesitate to strap one on, if it was what I had on hand in a time of crisis. I've had 2 of these. The one that's gone had that old crappy finish that the XDs were famous for. I never had a problem, but it worried me to much, so I sold it and got one of the bitone models.

daysleeprx
February 28, 2007, 11:59 PM
70 - 75% of Leo's wouldn't trust their life daily with them

Doesn't that have more to do with what departments issue, rather than personal preference?

Redhat
March 1, 2007, 12:00 AM
Lowest bidder?::confused:

Heavy Metal Hero
March 1, 2007, 12:04 AM
70 - 75% of Leo's wouldn't trust their life daily with them

It's a proven fact that 85% of statisics are made up on the spot. :D

tnieto2004
March 1, 2007, 12:06 AM
13+1 in .45acp
And the grip is much better than the glock (for my hand)

It's a proven fact that 85% of statisics are made up on the spot.

HAHA i like that

SolaScriptura139
March 1, 2007, 12:22 AM
also Glocks have been tortured in a way that irks me but it did make me a believer in how tough they really are. As for the XD the are a nice reliable gun for the price but everywhere I turn someone is trying to compare them with a GLOCK

XD's have been torture-tested almost as much as Glocks, so you're argument there is moot. I'd say they're both equal on reliability. The reason many compare them is because they are comparable to a Glock. You can't sit there and say that a Glock is out of an XD's league, when it's obvious they are both on the same playing field.

If Glock is so superior, why are they taking cues from the XD and slimming their grips down? As for the LEO thing, that depends on what the department issues, around here, they all use Smith & Wessons of some sort.

mcwjr13
March 1, 2007, 12:41 AM
I bought my Xd because of the recommendation my gun guy gave it (i was also considering a glock). I have bought my last six guns from him and he has never steered me wrong. I also agree with Scorpiusdues that glocks do have a gangbanger stereotype whether deserved or not

kansas45
March 1, 2007, 12:46 AM
The XD just feels better to me. The only problem I have is that I only have two. XD45 Tactical & XD45 Service.:)

skud_dusty
March 1, 2007, 12:47 AM
I came in with no expierence at all on the matter, and was pretty much set on buying a Glock 19 till I held it. The Glock felt like a toy with it's odd grip angle. It just didn't feel well in my hand. The older gentleman that helped me explained that he was a Glock owner for many years and proceeded to show me the XD. He explained that Glocks aren't for everyone, and he wished all his Glocks were XD's simply because he thought the XD was a "better" Glock.

For what it's worth, I bought mine simply because it felt better in my hands. The grip safety, loaded chamber/striker indicator, and price were all just great extras :neener:

johndoe1027
March 1, 2007, 11:14 AM
Personally, I was ill when I found out that I paid exactly the same price for my M&P and it did not come with a mag reloader, mag holster, and gun holster. I know the XD gear holsters aren't perfect but they are free at that point. Now I have to go find a mag reloader and buy it so I can still have a thumb after trying to get 12 in the mag. I thought the extras were super cool when my brother opened his for the first time.

Exmasonite
March 1, 2007, 11:45 AM
for those interested in seeing an "XD torture test", go here:

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.html

granted, it's on the springfield armory website but my impression is that the test was done by a not-so-neutral 3rd party (guy comes out and says he didn't want to like this gun).

anyways, XD's and glocks are both fine guns. i prefer the XD b/c of the above mentioned features:

- better grip for MY hand
- grip safety
- loaded chamber indicator
- cost (although that is starting to equalize, XD's WERE cheaper 2 yrs ago when i got mine)

BryanP
March 1, 2007, 12:46 PM
Well, in my case I bought my XD45 because I happened upon a smoking deal. I figured even if I didn't like it I could sell it for a profit.

I took it to the range and I love it. It fits my hand better than my beloved SIG P220, holds more rounds and shoots beautifully.

My biggest complaint right now is that everyone seems to be out of stock on XD45 mags. I only have 2. I'd like to have at least 5.

Eyesac
March 1, 2007, 04:16 PM
I just asked the question because I've had experience with both Glocks and XDs and while they we're different I never found the XD to live up to all the hype. Seems like a lot of XD lovers just wanted a gun to come out of the "polymer closet" with and XD was it... Grip angle I can understand... "it's not a Glock" I don't...:confused:

doofus
March 1, 2007, 04:58 PM
The biggest reason that I see here is that they're not as "popular" as Glocks. :rolleyes:

geterdone
March 1, 2007, 05:08 PM
They are built like a bank vault,very accurate,feel great in the hand and are priced right...What more can anyone ask for? Have two, looking at third...Somebody stop me!

johndoe1027
March 1, 2007, 05:13 PM
Geterdone, I'll stop you from gobbling up XD's if you can stop me from buying all sorts of handguns for any or no reason. I seriously doubt you can though, just ask my girlfriend. :evil:

FireArmFan
March 1, 2007, 08:40 PM
I didn't have time to read every single comment, so excuse me if this has already been said but straight, to the point to answer your question "What does everyone see in the XD?"

Answer = Shoot one and you'll see. They are great pistols. I've put probably 500 rounds or so through a friends XD and never had any malfunction and it is pretty accurate as well.

jman74
March 1, 2007, 09:13 PM
I'm going to be boring restate whant many here already have. I find the XD's grip angle and trigger pull superior to the the Glock's. Different people have different opinions so I' not trying stoke the fires of a flame war. It's a Ford Vs. Chevy war. Do you want a Duramax or a PowerStroke. Either will easily out perform what 99.9% of us can throw at them. I shoot upwards of 30-40K rounds a year and have found very few handguns that can outshoot me, given an honest tryout. Yes the guns like the Ruger P345 I couldn't hit a pie plate at 10 yards, but that was me... It's all what you are comfortable with and what works for you.

bearmgc
March 1, 2007, 09:34 PM
For me, XDs fit great, are reliable and accurate. I have one in 9mm and 45. They're keepers. I almost traded the 9 after I got the 45, but , after shooting it more, I just couldn't because it it shot so well, why let it go. Tried a Glock once, the 27. It went down the road in 2months. If Glock works for others, great. Its good to have variety.

philbo
March 1, 2007, 09:45 PM
Seems like the most common response is that the XD just fits better for alot of people. I'm in that group as well.

who me
March 1, 2007, 10:06 PM
Seems like the most common response is that the XD just fits better for alot of people. I'm in that group as well.

+1. I like them so much I just added a .45ACP compact to my 9mm Subcompact.

varoadking
March 1, 2007, 10:09 PM
I honestly think if the U.S. military opened a round of trials for a polymer-framed, DA-only, high-capacity pistol, the XD would be VERY tough to beat.

Not so sure about that myself, considering the XD isn't DA...:rolleyes:

Archer1945
March 1, 2007, 10:36 PM
I bought my XD45, 5" compact, because it was as comfortable in my hand as my old Series 70 Colt and cheaper than a P220. While I haven't shot a Glock I have held them and although the grip felt pretty good I didn't like having to bend my wrist to line up the sights. I actually like the P220 better but since the XD is about $200 less and has double the capacity, using an almost identically sized grip, it wasn't a hard choice to make.

denfoote
March 2, 2007, 12:04 AM
I almost bought an HS2000. ;)

Then Springfield bought the rights and the price doubled overnight!! :what: :eek:

I just couldn't see paying double for the same gun that was so inexpensive the night before!! :evil:

I could say something about the cheap call girl that gets hired by the madam up town, but that would be just wrong!! :neener: :p

Texshooter
March 2, 2007, 01:02 AM
What do I see?

A frame designed for the human hand. Good, metal sights. Metal mags.

Accuracy.

These attributes have always lead to my shooting enjoyment.

Why?

Guzzizzit
March 2, 2007, 01:13 AM
First, i must declare that i'm a die hard glock fan who has softened to the XD as of late.

One of the biggest reasones people seem to like the XD is it's almost a "1911 jr." it has a similar grip angle and safety design. Plus some people just preffer the ergonomics of the XD.

I've test fired 2 XD's that i rented at the range, one i had an extreamly poor experiance with, the other a suprisingly good experiance. I must say, i still don't put the XD in the same caregory as the Glock due to my extreamly and consistently positive experiance with many GLOCKS, but if i find an XD at just the right price, i will be adding one to my collection.

It all comes down to personal prefference, (heck, there are ALOT of people who LOVE hi-points) Thats why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.

smokin'n gun
March 3, 2007, 11:49 PM
How do you Glock guys pistol whip anyone, anyhow?:neener:

With competition from the XD and the M&P, maybe now the Austrians will get off their butts and put out a Glock people actually like and don't have to apologize for. No more: "My Glock is ugly, but it survived being dipped in salt water and motor oil..." I get the feeling that Glock is a "take 'em as we make 'em" outfit and that's that (finger grooves on stock, poor stock angle, not so great take down procedure).

Let us give thanks though, that we still have "choices" and let us relish the fact that we still have the freedom to choose our firearms. We still do, don't we?

Trooper720
April 8, 2007, 07:27 PM
I've been carrying a glock on duty for nearly 8 years and love them but just purchased an xd 45 4". The springfield points better and seems more natural. Haven't had a chance to shoot it much yet but the triger pull is better than the glock's. Accuracy seems about the same so far. Love the 13 round 45 better that the 15 of 40.

CajunBass
April 8, 2007, 07:48 PM
I bought an XD-9 about a year ago. Nice gun. The main reason I got it was I liked it. What'd I like about it? I don't know. It works. Never malfunctioned. Hits where I expect it too. That's about all I ask a gun to do.

I didn't really want a Glock, simply because it seems everybody and his brother and sister have one. Nothing wrong with that, as a matter of fact since then my wife got a Glock, and I like that too. It works. Never malfunctioned. Hits where I expect it to.

You want to talk about much ado about nothing, or missing something? The whole "grip angle" thing. Yea they're different, but that's about it. I don't see where one is better than the other. YMMV.

To me it's about like a Ford/Chevy thing. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I don't own stock in either company, so it doesn't matter to me what someone else buys.

lee n. field
April 8, 2007, 08:35 PM
people came out of the woodwork recommending the XD. Why? Just don't understand why, am I missing something?

Recent XD owner here. Some of the reasons behind my acquisition were:

Consistent good report on various gunfora
Reload friendly -- fully supported chamber and conventional rifling.
Relatively inexpensive factory magazines (compared to what it replaced).

Desertscout
April 8, 2007, 08:38 PM
No, the XD wouldn't be a contestant since it is not double-action. It is a single-action, just like a 1911.

I agree that there lots of choices for everyone and becasue everyone has different tastes, most of the choices that are avilable now will be avilable for a long time to come.

While the XD does feel better than the Glock out of the box, I despise the gun. With a few minor inexpensive mods to my Glocks, they can be made to be perfect... for me.

Some things about the XD that I do not like and tes, I have shot several of them:

High axis of recoil
I hate grip safeties
PITA to take apart compared to Glock
It's a single-action
Can't get simple, user-replaceable parts.
EXTREMELY complicated to detail strip.
Rusts easily
No steel in the rear frame rails.
Trigger reset absolutely sucks.
While certainly adequately accurate, I haven't yet found one that shoots any better, if as well, as my Glocks

GrumpyBunny
April 8, 2007, 08:49 PM
Well, like many of you, I also have many reasons for liking the XD.

First off, I have fired a Glock (modle?) .40. It shot to the left. Other than that, I enjoyed it but this wasn't my firearm so I never did have to clean it. I just had to aim to the right of whatever I wanted to hit.

Oweing to balistics of the .40, I decided to see about getting one. I went to a (then) loacl range that rented a variety of handguns. I rented about 5 each .40 cal handguns and got about 100 rounds of ammo. A Glock was in the mix. 10 rounds each. First cut was based on how comfortable the firearm was when shooting. Felt recoil, recovery and second shots. Other factors where considered as well as ease of breakdown, repairability etc. Anyway, I basically returned a S&W, Walther. Second cut got the Glock as it too kept wanting to shoot to the left. All my points were finally accumulated by the ugly duckling Springfield XD .40. Personally, I think it is too wide at the slide making it a poor choice in the CCW /CHL category but a great home defense or duty firearm.

I am an old 1911 man. I like it because it works, works well and it is flat unlike all the new polymer packers. While, I am not sure as to its' need the XD does have a grip safety and I have become accustomed to the XDs trigger and I love the 13+1 (M1911A1 only hold 7+1) in a standard magazine.
So, now I own an XD40 / XD45 and I love them both

Semper Fi!:cool:

Arch
April 8, 2007, 09:01 PM
I personally thought the XD/HS2000 was ugly as sin the first time I saw it, and couldn't figure out why gun manufacturers insist on neglecting the aesthetic element of their products. Though I have become comfortable with it's appearance.

The Glock I found to be relatively inoffensive. Just a little bit plain and boring. It didn't exactly make me go, "hey that's cool, what is that?".

But I thought about buying a Glock 34 as a cheap IPSC gun, and ultimately didn't. The grip and point I could get past. The big thing was the trigger. Sure, over time you could get used to it, but why make things difficult for yourself?

I did fondle the XD recently too, and much preferred that. Point, and 'feel' was nice, and the trigger was very manageable. It felt like more of a gun.

Ultimately though, I brought a Tanfoglio (can't beat steel). :neener:

BamBam-31
April 8, 2007, 09:23 PM
I own a Glock 17, a Glock 19, and a Springer XD-45 Tactical. By far, the best pistol in my hands is my Glock 17. I don't understand all the hype about the XD pointing "better"--my Glock 17 points exactly where I aim it every time. The XD, OTOH, throws me off a bit with its higher bore axis in terms of pointability, but it's amazingly accurate nonetheless.

All of the above guns are wonderfully rugged and accurate. My XD had some teething problems related to a trigger job by Canyon Creek (burr on firing pin block ---> obstructed firing pin ---> light strikes), but that was easily fixed. Other than that, these guns run as advertised. And run, and run, and run.

The only problem with Glocks for me was the monstrous grip size of their .45's. Even the 30 is chunky to me. Their 9mm's are the cats meow, as far as I'm concerned, so I'd NEVER buy an XD 9mm to replace any of my Glocks. The XD's slim .45 grip, however, was an answer to a question Glock previously refused to address. That right there is where the XD picks up a lot of fans, and hopefully it'll be enough to get Glock off its apathetic butt and introduce models people have been clamoring for forever (not just slimmed down frames).

There are differences (safeties, ergos, aftermarket support, parts availability, etc.), but the bottom line is both are fine guns. In the end, however, I don't see ANY polymer offering from any other company usurping the Polymer Throne from Glock. Not the M&P, not the XD, not the HK45, none of 'em. Glock is best because it's simplest and it works--I don't need LCI's or grip safeties or interchangeable grips or whatever. These "improvements" are more gimmicky than anything. My two cents. :)

Edited to add: Regarding triggers--I've become something of a trigger snob, so all three guns have had trigger work to some degree or another. The 19 has a 3.5# connector and the $0.25 trigger job, the 17 has a competition 2.5# trigger kit in it, and the XD has Canyon Creek's 2.5# competition trigger job. The XD's stock trigger was by far the worst, the two Glocks were typical Glock smush. Now, my favorite pull is on my 17 (light, fast reset, clean break), but I really haven't put the XD trigger through its paces yet. The CC trigger job is a vast improvement over stock, however.

Knave
April 8, 2007, 09:24 PM
Actually, I just bought an XD-9 bi-tone sub-compact yesterday. :) I wanted a small, relatively lightweight 9mm to carry. I have to say that I like the Glock 26 and it shoots pretty well for me, but the XD just fits better. I've got small hands and the G26 grip just always felt too thick. I could have been happy with either gun, but the XD felt better and was close to $100 cheaper, so it wasn't a hard decision.

BlkHawk73
April 8, 2007, 09:35 PM
Why? In my opinion it's all in the name - Springfield. When this gun was the HS2000, nobody cared at all about them. BUT, put a different name on them, and suddenly they're the greatest gun in all the land. Same gun except for the name. Just shows it's not so much the product as much as it is the name and marketing. :barf:

Redhat
April 8, 2007, 10:01 PM
How much advertisement did the HS get?

xd9fan
April 8, 2007, 10:59 PM
http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.html

nuff said

Ala Dan
April 8, 2007, 11:36 PM
Better trigger, all steel sights (no plastic), loaded chamber indicator on top
of pistol (not on the side), cocking indicator (glocks have none), ambi mag
release (glocks are only on the left), stainless steel magazines instead of
polymer magazines, grip safety (glocks have none), steel guide rod instead
of a polymer quide rod, grip angle much like the 1911 instead of the long
swoop angle of the Glock. And, most importantly PRICE~! :scrutiny: ;) :D

dmftoy1
April 9, 2007, 08:26 AM
My buddy was recently looking for a compact pistol in .45 or .40 so we went to the local REALLY GOOD gunshop where they have everything in stock and they set all of them up on the counter for him. (we had them put up a Glock 27, a Taurus PT140, and a XD Sub Compact (.40) and Glock 30) He didn't close his eyes or do anything like that . .he merely picked them up and handled each one quite a bit. (I did the same) For our hands it was really no contest. I'd recommend that anyone who wants to buy a gun does the same thing as I think if you'd handle all the relevant pistols at the same time you'd find the "right" one.

Just my .02

mpmarty
April 9, 2007, 03:45 PM
most of you folks about the XD being more comfortable grip wise, and reliable and so on. I also like the fact that SA has a reputation for great customer service. That being said, I have a question for anyone who can point me in the right direction; Recently my XD45 started light striking and I called SA and they asked if I had lubed the firing pin (no) and suggested cleaning out the firing pin channel. OK, pretty straight forware, took my pin punch and depressed the rear of the striker assy, slid off the retainer and pulled it out with the spring and a "nail" like stainless thing... The firing pin stayed in the slide. I looked carefully and it seems that you have to drive out a roll pin to remove the firing pin. Is this right? Any way, I blew the hell out of the channel from both ends with brake cleaner and compressed air then reassembled it all dry. Now it seems to hit the primers good and hard and I've had no failures in about 200 rounds since the cleaning of the fp channel. I'd like to know the proper procedure for complete disassembly of the slide. Thanks,:o

wooderson
April 9, 2007, 04:40 PM
Haven't had a chance to shoot it much yet but the triger pull is better than the glock's. Accuracy seems about the same so far.

DomMega
April 9, 2007, 06:17 PM
I would first like to say that if I don't like something about a gun that I own I'll flat out say it. Just because I bought one doesn't mean I'm a die hard loyalist to the gun itself. That being said I've found that the XD is in fact a good weapon for the most part. I have put over a thousand rounds through my XD 40 and just last weekend cleaned it for the first time, I did that on purpose. As it turns out I've found that this gun likes being cleaned more so than the glock does. Furthermore, I've found that it will shoot reloads but prefers new ammo over reloaded ammo. Usually has to do with the casing being expanded after being shot the first time initially. I also don't like the six pound trigger pull on the XD. Long trigger pulls make me shoot more inaccurately, where as the glock is about a 5.5lb trigger pull which is a little better but not much. I think with the XD you have to train your trigger pull to move forward just enough to re-engage the sear or you might find your jerking the gun a little bit due to anticipation of the round. Takes some getting use to if nothing else. I'm more apt to my 4 pound 1911 but that's neither here nor there. The XD is a very well made firearm and a very popular one at that. I think its actually a pretty slick looking pistol, I'm assuming the rest of you are calling it an ugly duckling merely because of its polymer attributes. Out here in California it was taking upwards of 3-4 weeks just to get your hands on an XD 40 last year, luckily I bought mine at a gun show. And I'll say it again just in case anyone missed it last time. You can turn your XD 40 into a .357 Sig by merely swapping out the barrel for about $180 and using .357 mags instead of your .40's. Furthermore Springfield just came out with a great idea for their XD 45 sub-compact. By merely changing a magazine it can go from a sub compacy to an actual normal sized service model. Very cool for people who want to use it for CCW but also would like to have the service model size for the range. Something to think about.

Either way, here's a video of me shooting (albeit not very seriously due to the rounds malfunctioning every 3rd or 4th shot) at an IDPA match out in Piru, California. As you watch the video, if you pay close attention you'll see my slide isn't returning to its original position after firing a round but instead its slightly ajar because a round is jammed in the action. This was right after a cleaning and some drops of oil for lubrication. Now just about everyone knows if you use garbage reloads in your guns, you can pretty much expect them to shoot that way. However I've actually purchased some nice reloads for the XD with worked flawlessly, but I can also tell you that the rounds that were fired out of my XD and jammed it were also fired out of a glock without a problem. Stay away from a company called "Ammo Bros" out here in Cali if you tend to buy reloads at gun shows. They're garbage and the owners of the company know they're garbage but sell them anyway.

Springfield XD 40 jamming (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxCDaJYB0jk)

DomMega
April 9, 2007, 06:37 PM
most of you folks about the XD being more comfortable grip wise, and reliable and so on. I also like the fact that SA has a reputation for great customer service. That being said, I have a question for anyone who can point me in the right direction; Recently my XD45 started light striking and I called SA and they asked if I had lubed the firing pin (no) and suggested cleaning out the firing pin channel. OK, pretty straight forware, took my pin punch and depressed the rear of the striker assy, slid off the retainer and pulled it out with the spring and a "nail" like stainless thing... The firing pin stayed in the slide. I looked carefully and it seems that you have to drive out a roll pin to remove the firing pin. Is this right? Any way, I blew the hell out of the channel from both ends with brake cleaner and compressed air then reassembled it all dry. Now it seems to hit the primers good and hard and I've had no failures in about 200 rounds since the cleaning of the fp channel. I'd like to know the proper procedure for complete disassembly of the slide. Thanks,

To answer this I would suggest just purchasing the DVD. I think its a must have for just about every XD owner out there. It will show you everything you're asking and more and the way its filmed it's real easy to see whats going on. Lenny McGill is pretty good at explaining EVERYTHING there is to know about this weapon.

Springfield XD complete disassembly/reassembly (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/DVD495-2226-2752.html)

KINGMAX
April 9, 2007, 06:43 PM
I have a GLOCK 21. If I had of shot an XD prior to my GLOCK purchase, I may have purchased a XD instead. I really like the feel of the XD.

pablo45
April 9, 2007, 08:32 PM
For most people who like the .45a.c.p. i can see why they choose the xd with the slimmer grip. For me i have larger hands and i have always been a glock fan so i stick with the glock. I had an xd in a .45 and i just could not get use to quik draws with that safety in the back. It always made me feel uncertain about my grip. I like the glocks trigger, look, style and shooting impressions i get from the gun. The results on paper have always been great with my glocks. The results with the xd have never impressed me for the hype. I think it is just a way to go for people who do not prefer glock and now i see that is okay too.

If you enjoyed reading about "What does everyone see in the XD?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!