Gunsmith Tool I Haven't Heard Of

PDA

MeanStreaker
February 28, 2007, 08:41 PM
Weird... I just got a call from my father-in-law. I'm certainly not a gunsmith but am fairly knowledgeable about firearms. He is not that knowledgable. :)

Anyway, he said that he found an older "Build it yourself kit" for a two-shot pistol. He said it's a muzzleloader that you fire one shot, then rotate to the second barrel to fire the second shot. He says it's called a "Twister".

He was looking over the instructions and said that it called for a "nipple wrench". Anybody know what that is? I won't have a chance to get over to check it out anytime soon. At least he promised not to fire the pistol he's building himself until it's checked out by someone competent (if ever). :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Gunsmith Tool I Haven't Heard Of" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Azrael256
February 28, 2007, 08:44 PM
Yup. Common tool. All caplock guns (that I've ever seen, anyway) need one for disassembly.

Look here. (http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=41788e93afb7beb49f7f923b2f2fd247&keywords=nipple+wrench&x=0&y=0)

Ian Sean
February 28, 2007, 08:44 PM
Standard tool for muzzleloaders...

Check out Dixie Gun Works.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=7624

Hemicuda
February 28, 2007, 08:53 PM
If "nipple wrench" blew your circuits, then nipple pick, wedge puller, breachplug, breach brush, frizzen spring, ramrod, and nimrod oughtta REALLY space you out, LOL... :evil:

Jim K
February 28, 2007, 09:38 PM
Well, SOME muzzle loaders, the percussion kind.

The cone shaped part of a percussion rifle or pistol on which the percussion cap fits is called a "nipple" in U.S. terminology. It is usually called a "cone" in England. The hammer strikes the cap, fire flashes through the hole in the nipple to ignite the powder charge and the gun fires. Nipples are usually removed for cleaning, and a nipple wrench is used to remove or install a nipple.

A nipple pick is a needle-like device used for cleaning out the hole in the nipple.

BTW, Hemicuda, the word is "breech", not "breach."

Jim

Hemicuda
February 28, 2007, 11:39 PM
OOPS, my bad, I knew that... but I am a draftsman, engineer, pilot, shooter, mechanic, and truck driver... typist is NOT on my list of skills... (neither is "moderator for spelling bees", LOL

.cheese.
March 1, 2007, 12:50 AM
"nipple-wrench"?

and here I just thought that was a bad memory from my summer-camp years.

it's usually preceded by a titty-twister and then followed by a purple-nurple.

trapperjohn
March 1, 2007, 07:01 AM
reminds me of the time about a decade ago when the local plumbing supply owners wife came in to help answer the phone in the store.
A customer called in and asked "do you have black nipples"?
He got hung up on.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gunsmith Tool I Haven't Heard Of" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!