Magazine question

PDA

mmmarkiep
March 1, 2007, 05:35 PM
I purchased an extra mag for my P239 the other night. When I took it out of the plastic bag, it seems to be covered in what I'm assuming is some sort of preservative. It's about the consistency of Vaseline. Forgive me if this is a dumb question but ... what do I use to clean this up?

If you enjoyed reading about "Magazine question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Matt Dillon
March 1, 2007, 06:50 PM
Take the mag apart, remove the baseplate, spring, and follower, (carefully noting precisely the direction that the spring is inserted) set any plastic pieces aside, and clean the metal parts with brake cleaner. Make sure all of the grease or cosmoline or whatever is protecting it from rust is completely gone, then using some spray dry-lube type of lubricant, spray the inside of the mag, insert the follower (after having wiped it down and removing the grease, but I wouldn't spray it with brake cleaner if it is plastic), then the spring, then the base plate. You may wish to use some paste wax on the outside of the mag to make it a little more "slicker" and to protect it from rusting.

Shipwreck
March 1, 2007, 07:13 PM
It's probably cosmoline. Its to prevent corrosion. Imagine when U get an entire gun covered in this crap. It is a pain to clean.

mmmarkiep
March 1, 2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks, y'all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Magazine question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!