was shooting my walther p22 and extended barrel weight fell off

PDA

yongxingfreesty
March 1, 2007, 07:19 PM
right after 200 rounds, the weight fell off and hit the concrete. it pissed me off because i couldnt aim ( front sight in on the weight) and it also got dinged a little bit.

is this normal for the p22? this is the first time i ever shot it, im glad mine didnt have any FTF/FTE problems.

looks like im gonna try to tighten it all the way. maybe loctite too?

any advice?

If you enjoyed reading about "was shooting my walther p22 and extended barrel weight fell off" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JMACDONALD
March 2, 2007, 03:34 AM
Got a good deal on a used P22 five incher with one mag. Noticed the sight, for lack of a better term, swaying when I was shooting. The weight/fake comp. had come loose and had to keep tightening it. Bought the shorter barrel for and like it alot. What I do some times and I've seen pics on line of other people who did it is to use the long barrel and use the sight in the slide instead of the weight.

kokapelli
March 2, 2007, 09:51 AM
Yep, mine would loosen up every time I shot it.

I always checked and tightened it up during shooting sessions.

briansp82593
March 2, 2007, 09:55 AM
i would keep the long barrel... get it ported :evil: and ditch that weight

spencerhut
March 2, 2007, 10:10 AM
And you are surprised? I ditched the long barrel on mine after messing with that stupid extension for a few months. It's a PITA. Sounds like you will learn faster than me. :rolleyes: When you remove the barrel nut be careful as it may be locked in place with Lok-Tite or a similar compound. I f'd mine up. Can't get a new one without sending back to the factory. I cleaned it up as best I could and just kept shooting the thing. It shot just as good with the short barrel as the long, better actually. That whole P22 thing is a sore subject for me. It's in a zip lock bag in pieces on my bench right now. I was working on the hammer and the slide stop spring went all air soluble on me. :uhoh: Can't get a new one anyplace but the factory as far as I know. Maybe I'll send the whole thing back in zip lock baggie to them in pieces and say it fell apart.

Coronach
March 2, 2007, 01:22 PM
I have heard nothing but bad things about those little pistols. Same for the Sig Mosquito. It seems that there is something about small .22 autos that makes quality builders want to use substandard manufacturing techniques.

Mike

SolaScriptura139
March 2, 2007, 03:06 PM
I don't know Coronach, I really like mine. I just bought it, put 280 rounds of CCI Minimags (probably won't shoot any really cheap stuff through it), no problems whatsoever. It was pretty accurate at 7 yards (I'm still an amateur, mind you). I don't have the 5 inch, so I don't know how that works, but it may make me think twice about buying the 5" barrel for my P-22.

Pecos21
March 2, 2007, 05:53 PM
quick warning.
There are two side screws and a top screw. On my buddies, the fake comp became loose and shifted around while shooting. The screws ended up wearing the metal around the barrel while this shifting occured. When he noticed the problem, so much metal had been removed that he was unable to tighten the fake comp at all.

I got rid of my P22 a few months ago and i dont miss it one bit. I cant even say it was fun to shoot. Too much brass hitting my face and power burns on my hands...

Ragnar Danneskjold
March 2, 2007, 06:40 PM
I have a P22, but I only have the standard barrel. My P22 works with a wide variety of ammo, and I have had about 3 FTEs in around 2000 rds. That's about 3 boxes of the bulk Federal, about 200 Stingers, and the rest were 50rd boxes from different companies. All in all, I would say my P22 is very reliable and a lot of fun to shoot. Again, I don't have the extended barrel though.

9x19
March 2, 2007, 07:35 PM
Coronach,

I've owned mine since they were first introduced and have enjoyed it since day one. It has accounted for a number of "critters" around my place over the years, and is a constant companion while I am mowing my (5.5 acres) "yard".

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/P22.jpg

Coronach
March 2, 2007, 09:19 PM
OK, I should say, everyone I know, personally, who owned one was not impressed. That's only about 5 people, so take it for what it's worth.

Obviously, some (most?) work fine.

Mike

yongxingfreesty
March 2, 2007, 11:16 PM
i put it back on day after the range, tightened the thing in 3 different places.
it would suck if i have to put it back on after every use, but that's fine with me.

waynedm
March 3, 2007, 09:50 AM
I have one. Have a good 3000 through it so far, had maybe 2 or 3 failures. I mainly shoot the $8 bulk pack of Federal in it and it loves it. The fake compensator tries to come loose, I just tighten the :cuss: out of it and it doesn't come loose. Don't be afraid to tighten those two screws on the side HARD as they are the ones that put the clamping on the barrel.

If you enjoyed reading about "was shooting my walther p22 and extended barrel weight fell off" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!