.410 ga handgun

PDA

D_Burchfield
March 1, 2007, 10:57 PM
Greetings all,
I recently had a friend ask about a .410 ga. handgun. I have heard of them but I don't know much. He is looking to buy one as a "yard" gun for snakes and varmints. Anyone with information about them or experience with them?
Any help is appreciated.

Best,

Doug

If you enjoyed reading about ".410 ga handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ARTiger
March 1, 2007, 11:09 PM
Just a Taurus marketing gimmick . . . Doesn't do anything that any .357 and up caliber revolver with shotshells will not with snakes and other small pests.

The Deer Hunter
March 1, 2007, 11:24 PM
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot30.htm

Just for reinforcing Tigers comment.

Professor K
March 2, 2007, 01:51 AM
http://www.thunder5.com/

Lots of other companies make .410/.45LC revolvers, I think Taurus and stuff. Also, .410/.45LC Derringers, too.

.410 is a wierd situation, the gun needs rifling if you want the barrel to be under 18 inches for NFA.

RCouch
March 2, 2007, 03:00 AM
Look up the Taurus site on the internet. They have a number of .410 gauge,
.45 Colt revolver models. I have one with a 4" bbl. and they work just fine but kick like a mule. They are great snake guns and have a wider pattern and more shot than the .38 shot shells. You can shop around and get one in the
$400 range.

mp510
March 2, 2007, 03:00 AM
You can get a TC Contender with a .45 Colt/ .410 barrel. I know they are available in Super 14 configuration and possibly others. And the Contender platform offers a lot of interchangibility for other calibers and shooting desires too.

There is also an inexpensive Argentine single shot on the market as well.

rustymaggot
March 2, 2007, 03:18 AM
http://www.littlegun.be/derringer/a%20fmj%20fr.htm

i like these two.

Nasty Jack
March 3, 2007, 04:18 PM
Bond Derringer, "Snake Slayer IV" -- 4 1/4" bbl. 3" chamber. It's the 3" chamber that you can't get in a revolver.

Std. load in 3" 410 bore . . . about 5 pellets of 00 Buck or 000 Buck. Bbl. needs to be rifled for BATF regs. but basically it's a sawed off shotgun. Down side is it runs about $500 and is pretty much the size/weight of a 1911 Sub-Compact.

And you can swap out bbl. to different calibers. I'm waiting for them to come out with a bbl. in 45-70 Govt. *LMAO*

www.bondarms.com/

Milkmaster
March 3, 2007, 04:37 PM
http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunselector-results.cfm?series=41

ArchAngelCD
March 3, 2007, 06:23 PM
Taurus is also marketing this gun as a vehicle defense gun.
http://www.taurususa.com/video/taurus-theJudge-video.cfm

D_Burchfield
March 4, 2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks for all the help, folks. After looking at the material, the .410 pistol seems to be an interesting beast. I'll pass it along to my friend.

Best,

Doug

Powder_Burn
March 4, 2007, 12:51 PM
A friend bought one of these and ended up bitter. At 15 yards using .410 buckshot, the Taurus .45LC/.410 pistol would not even knock over a bowling pin. Also, the pattern opened up very quickly and he missed the pins altogether several times from that distance. When the pellets did hit they would just wobble the pin a bit and bounce off. I wouldn't get too excited about one of these unless it is just for anti-snake duty.

The Hound
March 4, 2007, 02:51 PM
Here's a good article on The Judge: http://gunblast.com/Taurus-Judge.htm

MCgunner
March 4, 2007, 04:30 PM
My .45 Colt/.410 10 inch contender barrel is the only .410 handgun I consider worthy of use for anything much. It's about 7-8MOA accurate with .45 Colt, not great, but useful out to 50 -75 yards with the fire breather .44mag equivalent loads I can fire in it, and it's effective on small game and birds up to 20-25 yards, not the 5 feet most of those gimmick guns are. I've actually shot informal clay birds off the trap at the range with it! :D It's a fun barrel, but I really don't use it much for anything. I really don't get the infatuation with these revolvers, pretty useless if you ask me. But, then, I tend to be an opinionated old fart.

I don't understand the clamor for "snake guns". I shoot a snake now and then with a friggin' .22 NAA mini revolver. It ain't hard to make a head shot on a snake with a Federal lightening hollowpoint with it out as far as one of those .410 revolvers would be effective. :rolleyes: Some folks can't shoot a handgun well enough, I guess, to hit a snake with a bullet. I don't find it that difficult a chore, though. Heck, if I'm out in the sticks, unless it's a rattler or a moccasin I might step on later, I just walk around it. I wear my leggin's this time of year and walk carefully down on my place. The place is ate up with snakes.

PrimaryB
March 4, 2007, 05:06 PM
Had to edit post. I would just purchase some shotshells that fits your friends favorite revolver if that is what he carrys. Maybe load the cylinder half and half? If he doesn't have a revolver I wouldn't get a dedicated revolver with a cylinder long enough to accept to accept 3" shotshells but thats just my opinion. I think a gun that heavy might take away the versatility you would desire perhaps. Just my opinion. BFR offers a 45LC that will shoot 410's but from what I've read it comes with a chock tube and wrench. I interpret that meaning your dedicated to shoot one load or the other perhaps. I guesss you could shot 410 without the choke tube? I personally would go the cartridge made for a specific caliber gun of your choice that was loaded with shot route. Good Luck.

obxned
March 4, 2007, 08:33 PM
Except for snakes, most of which need to be left alive to dine on rodents, the .410 is a darn poor waste of cylinder space in a .45 Colt revolve. It's too expensive, and at the range where it would even do in a snake, a .45 bullet is still better and easy to hit with. We are talking feet, not yards, because the rifling in the barrel sprays pellets far and wide, and there are not very many in a .410 round to start with.

If you enjoyed reading about ".410 ga handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!