Bad luck, or does one gunshop consistently sell 'broken' guns?

PDA

MartinBrody
March 1, 2007, 11:39 PM
Is this just a coincidence, or is there a reason one dealer may be getting a lot of guns that need to be sent back to be fixed? I bought 6 guns in 2006, 5 of them were from one reputable dealer. Of those 5, 3 needed to be sent back to the factory for warranty work. 2 of the 3 are not guns you would expect to be problematic and the issues could not be determined upon physical inspection without shooting them.

I have heard retailers like Kmart sometimes aren't getting the pick of the litter, but any reason a regular gun shop would have this issue? I have bought many guns over the years and up until 2006 I have only ever had one gun break shortly after purchase and I should have known better than to buy it, but this is just not a good year.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bad luck, or does one gunshop consistently sell 'broken' guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
.cheese.
March 2, 2007, 12:23 AM
depends.

give some more details.

Are they all the same make, model, etc?

used, new?

What were the problems?

ArfinGreebly
March 2, 2007, 01:37 AM
I've read some complaints about Marlin lever guns sold through Big 5, yet the Marlin levers are usually good to go right out of the box.

There was some speculation about the Q.C. of the stuff going to bulk retailers.

Essex County
March 2, 2007, 02:27 PM
I'd chalk it up to a rare string of bad luck. No businessman would risk selling defective products. I'm sure He's not happy about it either. Essex

Jim K
March 2, 2007, 10:03 PM
I have seen two things happen fairly recently. One is an overall decline in quality control, not only in firearms, but in other products as well. U.S. made products seem to have the worst record, though foreign makers are not immune.

The other trend is for customers to be more demanding, at least in guns. It is one thing to say (as I do) that a gun should work "out of the box", but it is another to demand that a gun work "out of the box" with every absurd type of ammo, including ridiculous handloads, and shoot sub-MOA groups as well.

Very rarely is a truly defective new gun the fault of the retail dealer, and it is not clear what folks expect from him. If he test fires the guns before selling them, he is accused of peddling "worn out" guns. If he doesn't, he is accused of trying to foist off defective guns. For a dealer, it is a lose-lose proposition.

I have heard those stories that this or that store gets the junk, or that the maker sends all the defective stuff to certain dealers. Nonsense! No manufacturing company could afford to do that. When company X makes a gun, the people making the parts and assembling them have no idea where the gun will be shipped. Even if they wanted to "sc**w Wal-Mart" or some other retailer, they couldn't.

Jim

MartinBrody
March 2, 2007, 10:49 PM
I have heard those stories that this or that store gets the junk, or that the maker sends all the defective stuff to certain dealers. Nonsense!

This is what I was thinking about, I guess it doesn't make much sense. Just an anomaly in the stats I hope, I really like that store. It really makes me wary though, nothing is worse than buying name brand and having to deal with a gun that doesn't work, some of my friends only buy knock-off surplus junk and have more luck than I do. Do you know how embarrassing that is? It makes me feel like I should have known something was wrong with it before I bought it.

Also for the record, I am not an overly demanding guy, I just think new S&W revolvers should set off rounds with a double action trigger pull.

gezzer
March 3, 2007, 01:55 AM
Don't blame the dealer he did not make them. It is a reflection on the state of quality control of the manufacturers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bad luck, or does one gunshop consistently sell 'broken' guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!