Opinions about S&W Sigma?

PDA

genxsis
March 2, 2007, 03:43 PM
I don't hear much anymore about the Sigma anymore. S&W has come out with an "enhanced" version. I think the original got some bad press.

Has anyone here tried out the new version? It's a polymer framed gun like the Glock (which so many people love) but costs much less. I'm just wondering if even the reduced cost is worth paying.

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions about S&W Sigma?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
strat81
March 2, 2007, 03:46 PM
The E models have a much better reputation. They are quite comfortable to hold, too.

Tezcatlipoca
March 2, 2007, 03:47 PM
Not a fan.

Decent ergos. HORRIBLE TRIGGER!!!!!!!!

genxsis
March 2, 2007, 03:55 PM
I forgot to mention that I have a Sigma .380, which is an alright pocket gun that's easy to carry. It won't save the world, but it might save my life! :)

ugaarguy
March 2, 2007, 03:57 PM
Texcat's summary reflects my experience. Generally reliable, great ergos, very poor trigger. Another $100 gets you into some very nice used & even new pistols. Heck another $50 gets you a new Stoeger Cougar.

1911user
March 2, 2007, 04:08 PM
Another vote for decent ergonomics and a horrible trigger (that can not be easily fixed)

1KPerDay
March 2, 2007, 04:35 PM
I had a first-gen and liked it a lot. Gritty trigger, but always went bang and was pretty accurate. 15 rounds of .40 in drop-free mags is nothing to sneeze at.

I sold it to a buddy, pretty much because I thought it was kinda ugly, and wish I still had it.

MachIVshooter
March 2, 2007, 05:27 PM
Had one in .40 S&W. Spend the extra $150 for an M&P.

legion3
March 2, 2007, 06:36 PM
:uhoh: sigma :barf:

ApexinM3
March 2, 2007, 06:54 PM
Kinda like recommending shoes, each person is different. My personal experience has not been good, specifically (as mentioned by others) the trigger. Hard pull, generally difficult to shoot. Nicely done ergonomics, but again as mentioned, a few extra bucks will go far when selecting another pistol.

My recommendation: shoot one & decide for yourself. You may find you like it, and if so, more power to you.

IIRC, S&W got sued by Glock for copyright infringement because of the Sigma. That was quite amusing, I though...

Bart Noir
March 2, 2007, 08:46 PM
I've been wondering about that lawsuit. My early Sigma (40C) has a trigger better than some (not all) Glocks that I've fired. Did the Sigma trigger have to get redesigned to settle the suit? So that it is not as nice as it once was?

Or maybe mine has been fired so many times it just smoothed out. It is a Western Australia police trade-in. It's kinda neat to have kangaroos on the slide and the sights still glow a little. And mine hasn't given me any trouble.

Bart Noir

denfoote
March 2, 2007, 09:43 PM
Another vote for decent ergonomics and a horrible trigger (that can not be easily fixed)

Yeah OK.
I'll give it that.
I have an old, actually preban, 40F.
The ergonomics are great. The trigger leaves something to be desired. However, if you shoot the Walther PP series with any regularity, then you are already used to terrible triggers!! Point is, it does not bother me!!

Mikeo
March 2, 2007, 09:46 PM
I have a 9VE, and I love it. The trigger is a bit heavy, but not terrible. It is a long pull, but feels pretty smooth.
I had a PPK/s with the DA/SA trigger, and I could never get used to the different feel. It always felt like it was jamming between shot#1 and #2. BTW, the DA pull on that one was terrible.
The Sigma has gone bang each time I pulled the trigger. It has never jammed with any of ten differnet types of ammo, and through four different magazines. I have complete confidence in this weapon.

nwilliams
March 2, 2007, 09:53 PM
I had a first geration one and I wasn't impressed at all:barf:

However I've heard that the newer ones are better, and there are many that liked the Sigma from day one. Its like any gun it has its fans and it has its haters, its not a Glock but its better than a good number of other guns for the same price or more.

I agree MachIV spend a little extra money and get the M&P.

Trebor
March 2, 2007, 10:42 PM
My prediction is that S&W will discontinue the Sigma within the next 2 or 3 years. I have no inside knowledge, but I just bet that once the sales of the M&P start to go up, they'll drop the Sigma and try to move customers who would have bought Sigma's into the M&P instead.

I may be wrong. Only time will tell.

SouthpawShootr
March 2, 2007, 10:53 PM
I have two Sigmas. One is a 357V and the other is a 9VE. I've shot the 9VE more and it's completely adequate for carry and personal defense applications. That's what I bought it for. I went into this knowing they had a nasty trigger and that they were Glock copies (some minor differences, but copies nonetheless). I remember reading a post over at www.smith-wessonforum.com that the Sigma is S&Ws best selling gun. Also, the tooling is paid for, so the line really doesn't cost S&W anything but materials and labor. I wouldn't look for it to be discontinued anytime soon (of course, a new ASW ban may kill it b/c such a law tends to make low capacity guns more popular). Now, the M&P is a very similar but significantly more expensive pistol. I wonder if improvements to the Sigma trigger would damage the M&P line? I certainly like the Glock style takedown of the Sigma over the Sig-like takedown of the M&P.

csay
March 2, 2007, 10:55 PM
I like the newer Sigmas (SW9VE). I have 2 in 9mm. I bought these for my wife and daughter. The trigger is heavy, but it's by design. It's meant to be more like a double action trigger pull. Less likely to have an accidental discharge with one of these. They are decently accurate, reliable and have good ergonomics. I even had an older one that was utterly reliable and accurate. I should have kept it. For me, they have been more reliable than the XD's I've owned. Having said all of that, I prefer a 1911, but I would not hesitate to grab one if needed.

jayp
March 3, 2007, 09:53 AM
I like my Sigma. Has been 100% reliable so far. I like the ergo's; it's very light, the trigger is what it is- not great, but not as bad as it is made out to be. I think it is a great deal for $300 bucks.

10-Ring
March 3, 2007, 10:03 AM
I've never been a Sigma fan....but at its price point, you get an okay gun vs. alot of other options out there.

FieroCDSP
March 3, 2007, 10:19 AM
I have the 40VE. Want it? :D Seriously, I'm keeping it, just in case, though it's become a safe queen since I got my M&P. Trigger is terrible, though I'd feel comfortable carrying it daily. That thing won't go off unless you make a determined effort, and once you get used to the take-up and pull pressure, it's extremely comfortable. I dare say it's more comfortable than my M&P. The only issues I've had firing have been due to bad (cheap PMC) ammo. I'd step up and get the M&P rather than the Sigma, if I were you, but sometimes finances affect decisions. For a 299 job, it's okay.

Glockfan.45
March 3, 2007, 10:38 AM
I have a SW40VE that I picked up on a impulse one day. It felt so good in my hand, pointed naturally, and the price was right so it followed me home. First off I will say that it is a Glock in all respects, take down, and function are the same. To date I have fired a little over 600 rounds through it (all Remington UMC hollow points) and have not had one single failure or malfunction. It has been one of the most reliable guns I have ever owned. Out of the box the trigger stinks, but after 500 rounds or so it gets better. Accuracy is good for a combat pistol. I can fire 15 rounds in a hurrry and put all of them into a silhouette target at 20 yards. Its no target pistol, but if your looking for a reliable, low cost defensive pistol I would recommend it.

waynedm
March 3, 2007, 10:43 AM
:uhoh: Sigma :barf:

Agreed.

GRIZ22
March 3, 2007, 02:43 PM
The LE agency I worked for tested the 9MM Sigma for purchase back in the 1990s. It wouldn't pass the reliability and durability tests. They also tested 380s later on. Walther, SIG, Beretta, and others didn't stand up to the testing. The only one that did is the Sigma 380. The only thing I dislike about the Sigma 380 is you need two fingers to pull out the magazine.

tnieto2004
March 3, 2007, 04:17 PM
HORRIBLE TRIGGER!!! nice feel though

Nomad, 2nd
March 3, 2007, 04:25 PM
I havn't tried one of the 'enhanced' versions, but one of them was in the 2 day Tactical response pistol class...

The guy used it as his CCW and hadn't had problems with it.

It CONTINUALLY jamed the WHOLE time.

He now has a Glock.

Srigs
March 4, 2007, 03:17 AM
My 40VE just plain works! 3500+ rounds down range without one single problem. It is right next to me on the night stand with a light attached for my HD gun.

Still one of the top 3 sellers for S&W!

glassman
March 4, 2007, 12:03 PM
I've fired the sigma 9ve, m&p 9 and the 910s in my search for a ccw. Have to agree with the pros here in that the sigma felt good in the hand but had a god aweful trigger. It's flip a nickel between the other two but I think I'm gonna go with the 910s. I don't want or need all the tactical stuff on the m&p. The 910 felt great in my hand, is light weight and I really liked the 3dot sights. Bear in mind that I'm a noob but the 910 just feels right.

APWINNER
March 4, 2007, 03:32 PM
I plan to get for first CCW.
I read good and I read not so good.... on a scale of 1-10.
What is it ...please!

Thank you
APWINNER

MachIVshooter
March 4, 2007, 04:08 PM
They also tested 380s later on. Walther, SIG, Beretta, and others didn't stand up to the testing. The only one that did is the Sigma 380. The only thing I dislike about the Sigma 380 is you need two fingers to pull out the magazine.

This I find more than a little difficult to believe. Were talking about 3 top-tier .380's vs. one cast-zinc cheapie.

Of the Sigma series, the .380 model was undoubtedly the worst by a wide margin. To even suggest that it would outperform the three best .380's on the market is ridiculous.

There is a reason you can pick up a Sigma .380 for under $100.

Ala Dan
March 4, 2007, 06:36 PM
Triggers on all Sigma's are way toooooooo heavy~! ;) :D

waynedm
March 4, 2007, 11:13 PM
Man, if you're really thinking about getting one of these just spend another $30 and get a Stoeger Cougar.

briansp82593
March 4, 2007, 11:15 PM
ugly fugly, trigger sux, from the one i shot it wasnt all that accurate yeah its a smith but they are low budget guns i almost bought one for my first gun when i was n00b

glockdude
March 4, 2007, 11:28 PM
I owned a 9mm and a 40. Accuracy was good. Trigger was absolutely horrible. 40 had feeding problems. sold both of them for what I paid for them, 650 for both, and bought a glock.

cajun47
March 4, 2007, 11:29 PM
i have the new sigma. its reliable just don't shoot hollow points. get pow"r"ball for defense. i shoot all sorts of different brands of 9mm through it and my ruger p89dc. the ruger is a good bit more accurate.

GRIZ22
March 5, 2007, 03:25 AM
This I find more than a little difficult to believe. Were talking about 3 top-tier .380's vs. one cast-zinc cheapie.

It did happen that way. I agree it doesn't make sense but the Sigma 380s worked great. I doubt it was special attention to the guns supplied by S&W as they didn't special prep any of the 9mms.

hagar
March 5, 2007, 09:30 AM
There was an organized smear campaign against S&W, and the Sigma was one of the biggest targets. Don't believe all the thrash talk you hear about "some police department tested them, and they fell apart".

I have 4 of them, one in each caliber (380, 9, 40 & 357). They all function great, and 380 excluded, will outshoot all my Glocks except the G20 at 25 yards. Even the 380 is accurate, but 25 yards is stretching it. I actually like the trigger on the Sigma, it has a long, but smooth pull, and when it breaks, it breaks very smooth. It feels better than any other pistol in my hand, I just wish they made a compact model I can put a decent set of night sets on similar to a G26/27.

stevekl
March 5, 2007, 10:16 AM
At the gun show yesterday, there were a massive number of Sigmas on the table. This was annoying for me because I was looking for M&Ps, and all of the S&W sections at each table were just swamped with Sigmas in the $300 range.

Is S&W dumping their stock or something? I don't think I've seen so many sigmas in one place.

MR.G
March 5, 2007, 10:21 AM
Had an early model with some problems. Since then I have bought several SW9VE pistols that are great guns.

genxsis
March 5, 2007, 01:16 PM
[Quote]: There is a reason you can pick up a Sigma .380 for under $100.

I bought mine at a gunshow for $275 used. That's after talking the guy down from $350. I partially traded my shotgun for it for a $150 credit towards the Sigma .380.

old_22LR
March 5, 2007, 02:00 PM
the trigger is heavy but once you get used it is great. i have one in 40 and i love it.

innerpiece
March 5, 2007, 02:51 PM
I liked the sigma's I shot. 9ve. and the 40.
I thought they were a fine pistol, Id rather have either Sigma over either of the Glocks I got rid of!

I shure will be looking into the sigmas in .357!

ip.

TxPhantom
March 5, 2007, 05:18 PM
It's amazing how many Sigma threads are out there on just about every forum. They are all the same. Some love them, some hate them and many just present 2nd hand information. You'll read almost identical posts over & over. I know because I never miss a opportunity to say some thing nice about the Sigma (over & over). I have the SW9VE that has never had any kind of failure. It has great ergonomics, very accurate, very dependable, not bad looking and inexpensive. All with one of the best life time warranties available.
This pistol is not a competition gun but a very good CCW, bedside companion or car gun. The trigger is hard and long by design. Since there is no manual safety, it's safer that way. And, it lightens up considerably with use and once you master trigger control of the Sigma you will be a better shooter. Do lots of dry firing.
The Sigma is probably the most underrated and one of the best buys on the gun market. I don't remember ever seeing a article in any of the gun magazines about the Sigma. There have probably been some, I just haven't seen them. S & W does very little to promote them but they are still one of their best selling auto-pistols.
I've got more expensive guns with much lighter triggers but I'll probably always keep my Sigma. It's just another reliable tool that always works for me when I need it.;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions about S&W Sigma?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!