Glock 21 sf

PDA

briansp82593
March 2, 2007, 10:12 PM
ok wow got back from the gunshop guy calls me over to the glock case... hes like hey sissy hands try this out i was like ughh a glock :barf: pulls out the new 21 hands it to me my eyes pop :what: a glock fitting my hand.. nicely?! + 13 rounds of .45! incredible and really light weight... i look at him so a 45 in this water pistol? is it going to throw it from my hands... i know .45's push instead of snap but in this light and slim of a pistol... he already bought 2 and said he could shoot them all day... when i go back down to the range im going to have to rent one ill be sure to post pics but heres some for now

p.s. this was a glock hater

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 21 sf" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GreenFurniture
March 2, 2007, 10:31 PM
We had a few in, and now have only one left.

Here are some pics:

http://thecommander.smugmug.com/photos/133206031-M.jpg

SouthpawShootr
March 2, 2007, 10:38 PM
I'll look it over, but I will not buy one. Primarily b/c I just traded for a nearly new Glock 21 and it's really not too big for my mitts. I'm satisfied with it, so I'm going to keep it. Too many other guns on my acquire list to consider the SF as a duplicate "just to have" gun.

briansp82593
March 2, 2007, 10:42 PM
they need to make one the the 19 size... then i would become a stocking not so dealer... i can imagine it now... one for the boat, car, livingroom, bedroom, range gun, one in the kitchen (the evil kitchen :evil: ), and then one to carry :evil:

denfoote
March 2, 2007, 10:49 PM
Ok.
Enlighten me.
What's so different with this other than the obviously ugly and useless (at least for me) uber tactical rail??

The G21 is already way to big for my paws. Why should I run out and plop down my hard earned cash for one??

briansp82593
March 2, 2007, 10:51 PM
SF=Slim frame it fits my hand nicely unlike the other glocks trust me pick one up u will tell the difference

Ohen Cepel
March 2, 2007, 11:01 PM
So is it an entirely new frame size for them?

Will it take all the 21 accessories? Holsters?

Just how much smaller is it?

GreenFurniture
March 2, 2007, 11:04 PM
The grip is 3mm thinner.

Takes same mags, holsters, lights, lazers, phazers and wind speed indicators.

briansp82593
March 2, 2007, 11:08 PM
even 3mm makes a difference imo and i dont think that you can use old 21 mags in it

aguyindallas
March 3, 2007, 12:01 AM
I am a Glock fan, no doubt about it. I have several of them. This thing is ALL hype IMHO. I wouldnt take it over a regular G21 or any other for that matter. Its just another Glock and sadly, an answer looking for a quesiton for most of us.

legion3
March 3, 2007, 07:47 AM
I heard it does not take the same mags but a new 45 mag because the mag release is abi...

Regular 21 mags won't fit

briansp82593
March 3, 2007, 10:46 AM
also the trigger is CRAP!!!!!!! just had to add that... it feels heavier than a reg glock trigger and a very crappy crunch-bang

tydephan
March 3, 2007, 11:41 AM
I'm a big Glock fan, but I'm waiting on the M&P45!!!

dpesec
March 3, 2007, 12:13 PM
I have a G21 and it fits my had fine, so I see no reason to get another.

briansp82593
March 3, 2007, 12:56 PM
SF=slim frame = small hands=fit? omg yes

legion3
March 3, 2007, 02:08 PM
Well I gave it a good stare today and :barf: prehaps thats to harsh more like :uhoh:

Slim grip? No way... I felt very little difference between it an a 21 next to it at the GS today...if you think the 21 grip and feel is to fat...this gun will not likely win you over...If you are a 21 fan now you will like this gun, but then what's the point?

The XD 45 feels like a 9mm grip the 21SF grip feels like a 21 grip.

HMMurdock
March 8, 2007, 04:14 PM
Not a fan of the XD's but wanting another .45 (I've owned a Glock 21 and two Glock 30's, previously), I scoped out a Glock 21SF today and honestly, I wasn't impressed.

It did feel a bit smaller than the G21, but I'd be lying if I said I had a problem with the thickness of a 21. I'm not a big guy but my hands aren't very small, so the G21 fits me fine. The 21SF has that unsightly rail which I personally see zero purpose to other than to openly modify these new "Gen 4"s, if you want to call them that.

Personally, I'm going to go back to the regular Glock 21. I like the standard rail and although I'm an ambidextrous shooter, the ambi-release isn't enough for me to have to scope out special new magazines and holsters for a firearm that isn't exactly an improvement of the original.

The 21SF is good for those that want the newest and best, but I'm sticking with what I know and that's a standard Glock 21.

TRL

douglasd53
March 11, 2007, 03:20 PM
Actually, the SF stands for "Short Frame". I guess they mean the grip is shorter "front to back", which it is. But I agree...I think "slim frame" describes it better.

I will have one soon.

10-Ring
March 11, 2007, 03:28 PM
If they intro one close to their mid-size frame, I'd give it a look but in a fullsize, my heart is spoken for :cool:

KINGMAX
March 11, 2007, 03:56 PM
I own a G21. It is my main carry, and road trip weapon. YES - the trigger = a bit heavy. I have elected not to change the trigger out for an aftermarket kit. As is, I don't see me squeezing off a round because of a 'light trigger'.

I must say - I didn't purchase it for 'LOOKS". I bought it for the reliability.

possum
March 18, 2007, 01:43 PM
Takes same mags, holsters, lights, lazers, phazers and wind speed indicators.

the old 21 mags will not work in the sf, but the new sf mags will work in the old 21.

Slvr Surfr
March 18, 2007, 01:53 PM
Got one and love it. It fits better than the original 21 that I just sold. I like the new rail and ambi mag release.I have to admit that the trigger does feel heavier than other glocks but I feel it just needs to be used and broken in.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/helas_9/G21%20SF/DSCF0824.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/helas_9/G21%20SF/DSCF0820.jpg

briansp82593
March 18, 2007, 02:32 PM
i forget how long is the barrel?

possum
March 18, 2007, 11:45 PM
Got one and love it. It fits better than the original 21 that I just sold. I like the new rail and ambi mag release.I have to admit that the trigger does feel heavier than other glocks but I feel it just needs to be used and broken in.

thanks for sharing, btw can't you just get one of the 3.5 triggers and drop in there?

i forget how long is the barrel?
should be 4.61 inches like the 21 right?

tinygnat219
March 19, 2007, 12:09 AM
So what does this mean for the 45 GAP?

HorseSoldier
March 19, 2007, 12:23 AM
Don't know that it means anything for 45 GAP. Reports seem to be that most shooters either can't tell the difference between a stock G-21 and the 21SF, or don't think that the very minimal grip reduction makes much difference. End result -- the 21 and 21SF will still remain popular with those that like them, but are oversized, grip-wise, for most shooters.

And so the world still waits for the full-sized G-36 spin off :rolleyes:

possum
March 19, 2007, 08:44 AM
And so the world still waits for the full-sized G-36 spin off
rodger that!

briansp82593
March 19, 2007, 05:39 PM
short and slimmed frame... barrel isnt the same... no not 45 gap read closely

denfoote
March 19, 2007, 08:29 PM
You left one off of the poll.
I'm a Glock fan, but the G21 is to big for my hand, so there is no sense in me getting one!!

STAGE 2
March 20, 2007, 01:28 AM
Most glocks are uncomfortable for me, some because of the grip size and all because of the grip angle. However if Gaston had the courtesy of sending one to california to be DOJ tested before the deadline (which he had plenty of time to do, the question is whether or not they did it) I will definately take a long hard look at it. If it fits my hands it might find a place in my nightstand.

pablo45
March 20, 2007, 02:17 AM
This is just a fine example of helping those who do no have a hand that can fit around the original 21 and the respond from glock and all we hear is grief:cuss: . This Glock is going to do great. As a matter of fact i bet that now that it is out the xd banwagon will be gone. My buddy think's his xd is better than my 21 and i have out shot him numerous times. I am sorry but you would not put Tyson in the ring with an amateur. Do not compare the best with rookies.:banghead: Glock has been proven for a long time:neener: . Seem's like some have a long way to go.
To answer the original question not only will i buy it. I am going to put numerous pictures up and brag about it. Then make fun of my partner who is to prideful to go get one.

Slvr Surfr
March 20, 2007, 03:48 AM
As far as the 3.5lb trigger goes Im sure its available. I added the extended slide release, and night sights off of my old second gen 21. They fit without any issues. The SFs trigger out of the box wasnt the smoothest by any means compared to my other stock glocks. Im sure that will fix itself when I put a few rounds down range. ;)

possum
March 23, 2007, 12:27 AM
handled one of these at my local shop today, and though there wasn't a regular 21 to compare too the gun was still to big for my hand, and i just can't see how it would be comfortable to shoot, i was thinking about one real hard and i am glad that i had the chance to check one out, they reduced the grip girth but still a little too big for me!

Sundles
March 23, 2007, 02:47 AM
You know what they say about men with big hands.

SpookyRCON
March 23, 2007, 06:52 PM
I just saw this firearm at a local store here in Roanoke, VA. Sizewise it is not too much diffrerent to the original Glock 21. Grip was comfortable...not too big or too small and I could easily manipulate all the buttons/levers. :D Glock submitted the Model 21 SF for the US Army Combat Pistol trial that was put on hiatus due to budget overruns in the Iraq/Afghanistan conflict. The other contenders include the Taurus OSS, HK 45 (looks like a P30 chambered in .45 ACP. The new HK Sidearm for the Bundswehr is the HK P30 9mm), a Beretta PX4 Storm derivative in .45 ACP, Sig Sauer P220 and I think S&W submitted one as well possible an M&P derivative in .45 ACP. That is part of the requirements list...must be ambidexterous mag release, must have a nonpropriatary rail system, must be able to withstand harsh environmental conditions without much need for cleaning/maintenence and must be .45 ACP!!!! Note the safety/decocker option was not mandatory.... most have them some like Glock do not....somebody at the Pentagon finally figured out 65% of US Law Enforcement Agencies can't be wrong about NEEDING a thumb safety/decocker :rolleyes: ...I am buying it and it will replace the Glock 23 I currently wear on my Duty Belt...I can't wait...13+1 of .45 ACP in a lightweight, comfortable frame. Thanks Glock!!! :cool: I was going to buy an HK USP but you saved me money and added magazine capacity. :neener:

varoadking
March 23, 2007, 07:58 PM

Nothing...it's still dead...

possum
March 23, 2007, 08:16 PM
You know what they say about men with big hands.
big gloves?:)

longeyes
March 23, 2007, 09:16 PM
So the mags from the 21SF will fit my 6-year-old G30...? You sure of that?

HMMurdock
March 23, 2007, 11:06 PM
Yes, all Glock 21sf mags will fit in any standard Glock 21 or Glock 20 regardless of age. ALL new, as in from the factory from now on, Glock .45 mags (full size) are technically Glock 21sf mags.

Anyone see any reason why a 10mm barrel can't be dropped into a Glock 21sf?

TRL

SouthpawShootr
March 23, 2007, 11:22 PM

More likely than not, the breechface is different. As is the ejector. The extractor won't be set right either. I think a conversion would be possible but it would be one or the other, not both. Maybe a complete G20 upper on a 21sf lower. Mags won't be right either. Feed lips wouldn't be spaced optimally.

HMMurdock
March 23, 2007, 11:29 PM
You're definately correct about the mags, I dunno why that spaced my mind.

I was under the impression the Glock 21SF was a standard G21 slide on a remodeled lower? You say slide itself is different?

TRL

Ethereal
March 24, 2007, 01:17 AM
The only difference on the new S.F. model 21 is the frame. The slide is exactly the same dimension and size as old 21's. The frame changed, and only for the pistol trials. The backstrap was shortened to fit military requirements in the 5th to 95th percentile of hand sizes. And yes, Glock knows that not everyone likes the 1913 rail, the rumor has it they are planning on soon releasing the 21 S.F with a standard 3rd gen frame. That way you get the smaller size, standard mag-release, and can use existing 21 holsters. The term 4th gen doesn't apply because these are features exclusive to the model they planned on submitting to the military.

SouthpawShootr
March 24, 2007, 02:36 PM
You say slide itself is different?

HMMurdock:

Between a G21 and G21SF, the upper (slide, barrel and associated components) is the same. If somebody took my comments as meaning differently, I'm sorry. I was replying specifically to your question about whether a 10mm barrel only could be just dropped into a G21(or G21SF). It can't. Just tried it. The stock G20 barrel will go into a G21 slide but the barrel will not lockup into the slide (fit reminds me of something you'd see with a blowback auto). It would be extremely dangerous to attempt to actually fire. Similarly a G21 barrel will not even fit into a G20 slide (the rear upper portion of the chamber is cut wide preventing placement into a G20 slide). I imagine it's possible to make a 10mm conversion barrel for the G21, but IIRC it has been tried and was not very reliable. I think the better route would be a complete changeover of a G21SF frame if you want a "G20SF." Switch out the ejector on the 21SF for a G20 ejector and use a G20 upper. Should work just fine.

tulsamal
April 10, 2007, 12:55 PM
I've never bought a G20 or 21 precisely because of the size. I'm going to have to go check one out. That was my first thought. My second thought was is Glock going to make a G21SF as well? That one I would buy for sure!!

Gregg

Steelcore
April 10, 2007, 03:33 PM
It definitely feels better than a regular 21 but I won't be buying one because I have 20 mags that won't fit.I wonder if the standard mag release from the 21 would work on the SF so I could use my old mags?

shark3-1
April 10, 2007, 05:05 PM
The G21s at the local shop have been having mag release problems.

I think that most people that are interested in the G21SF hoped that it would have a more 1911 type of feel with the reliability they are used to. For some reason the full size Glocks all feel awfully big mostly due to the "hump" in the backstrap. A good grip reduction with a straitened backstrap should take care of these issues for most people.

This will allow them to keep the mag system and trigger parts of the old G21, but with a vastly smaller and more ergonomic grip. With the reductions that I do, I relocate the backstrap to match the frontstrap angle using the original frame material to then stipple over. No epoxy is used and you have a very clean looking backstrap that is totally flat and has uniform stippling around the butt of the pistol. These are also the only grip reductions that I know of that retain the lanyard loop in the butt of the pistol.

All said I take out nearly .5" out of the backstrap, and this is a noticeable difference. This is one that I just finished up and while I'm not a huge fan of this type of stippling, it illustrates just what I'm talking about.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/shark3-1/prodigy021.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/shark3-1/prodigy017.jpg

I will try to post a comparison pic of this G21 and a Colt 1911 from a width and length perspective. The G21 is actually slimmer side to side (with regular sized 1911 grips) and about the same length front to back.

madmike38
April 10, 2007, 09:41 PM
good luck on finding a holster that fits, due to the rail.

rick newland
April 10, 2007, 09:55 PM
As holsters go the Fobus GL-4 for the Glock 30 with rail fits the 21-f just fine. A good temporary solution till the holster makers catch up.

izmarkie
April 10, 2007, 11:05 PM
Wait, all this over 3mm of stock width? That's just over 1/10". I mean, I never liked the grip angles on Glocks anyway, but they had to have at least adjusted the contour of the grip for all this ado, right?

briansp82593
April 11, 2007, 12:51 AM
Quote:

More likely than not, the breechface is different. As is the ejector. The extractor won't be set right either. I think a conversion would be possible but it would be one or the other, not both. Maybe a complete G20 upper on a 21sf lower. Mags won't be right either. Feed lips wouldn't be spaced optimally.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r27/beretta96/Glock20SF.jpg
its been done

shark3-1
April 11, 2007, 03:54 PM
1911 width comparison:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/shark3-1/autreys006.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/shark3-1/autreys004.jpg
1911 length comparison:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/shark3-1/autreys001.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/shark3-1/autreys005.jpg

evan price
April 12, 2007, 03:52 AM
I had a 21SF in my hand, and the mags looked identical to earlier G21 mags to me. I never had too much trouble with my G21; this fit hand better but why should I get rid of my G21 I have already?

Glockfan.45
April 12, 2007, 07:19 AM
I shall stick to my 2nd gen G21. That rail looks terrible (and yes I know were talking about a Glock). I dont hang tactical gizmos on my pistols so it serves no purpose to me. While on the topic of new Glocks in .45 let me say that silly GAP round is beyond useless as well. IMO Glock sees their losing ground to the XD, and are trying to spice up their current product line by making pointless changes to current product. If Glock wants to boost sales they need to build the carbine people have been demanding for years.

SpookyRCON
April 18, 2007, 10:37 PM
I finally bought my Glock 21 and it is an absolute nail driver!!!! I love it...completely shot out the X ring and it was soooo comfortable....the operating rod/recoil spring is a beast and I got it standard with night sights. Only down side is finding mags and a new holster. I am thinking maybe a level II Safariland 6280. At any rate if you like .45 ACP and like Glock....this is the one to get!

izmarkie
April 29, 2007, 12:14 PM
shark3-1: thanks for the comparison. To me, the slide width and barrel length dictates the comfort of carrying concealed. I usually carry my BHP IWB, and while the grips are as wide as a G19, it's far more comfortable to me holstered because the thinner part is the part in my pants.

I'd go for a 1911 first, but hey, you don't really have to worry about keeping the Glock clean and oiled.

briansp82593
April 29, 2007, 12:17 PM
if u guys wait they will sell the Sf with the standard glock rail... there were only 500 made with the picatinny so if you want one with it please buy it now so we can get the regular looking ones :neener: :D

Gustav
April 29, 2007, 12:36 PM
Dang it!
Why did Glock go and have to do this I was saving for something else.
I went through two 21s both were great except one little thing the grip was akward and a tad too big.:(
I have very large hands but short fingers.:(
Never wanted to do a grip reduction on mine as home made jobs don't always turn out perfect and can kill the resale value.
Costs a little too much IMO to farm out the work to a shop but now THIS!
Dang it!

Hopefully they will do this on the whole lineup wouldn't that be nice?:)

jlh26oo
April 29, 2007, 01:02 PM
Actually, the SF stands for "Short Frame". I guess they mean the grip is shorter "front to back", which it is. But I agree...I think "slim frame" describes it better.

Yeah, shortening is front to back only. Not width. Calling it "slim frame" still works for me though, if you think about it like circumference.

All 21sf mags are backwards compatible with all 21's. The newest 21 mags are forward compatible with the 21sf, but not those made b/f the sf. Not sure of the exact changeover date, but I remember even before the sf was out, people were noticing two indentations on mags that came with their 21's.

btw +1 on holding breath for G36 tac.

hangmans joke
May 9, 2007, 08:56 PM
any chance of of a g20 sf????????????? . i fixing to pull the plug and buy a g20 .but i liek the new sf looks o nthe g21 .anyonw know if glock is gonna do any 10mm?????????

briansp82593
May 10, 2007, 12:15 AM
they are talking about it, or u can buy the conversion barrel

Checkman
May 10, 2007, 02:44 AM
I like the 45 and I like Glock, but I don't like the G21. I don't have big hands etc. etc. I can't tell a difference with the G21SF. So when my department issued the G21 I took the other option - the G19. Now there's a gun I can wrap my hands around. 45 to 9mm, but a very controllable weapon. Well that's life - always a trade-off.

ipscshooter
May 10, 2007, 01:30 PM

A very SHORT life.

Nitrogen
May 10, 2007, 01:36 PM
GLOCKS aren't my favorite guns, but they are popular for a reason: They go bang very reliably.

Wouldn't be my first choice, but I'd trust my life to one without hesitation.

JusticeHunter
May 23, 2007, 09:21 PM
:neener:I just brought my new G21 sf, to it's new home this past friday. I LOVE IT !!!!
At approx. 25 yards I shot about 1.5 inch groups with winchester 230 FMJ.
Then I fed her some Corbon powerballs,but only 10 because they cost alot. But I could have pounded in a nail, they were dead on, no joke . The only thing that sucks is my old mags don't work in the sf. :fire:But the sf mags will work in the old G21. The other problem I am having is finding new gear. I have to use nylon now. The gun feels awesome. They made more of a curve inward toward the trigger on the new grip. My SF out of the box had a 7 pound tigger pull. A little bit more than the 5 on my older G21. I must say that I LOVE IT. But I love all my children, my 22, and my 17 a long with my 20 will always be close to there dad, but I will be spending more time now with my little 21 sf. Ha-Ha. I do think it will feel better once I feed some more round throw it.

100Percen%
July 6, 2007, 01:42 AM
I found out about the G21sf in a bookstore when I saw it on the cover of about 3 different magazines. The next day I ran out to take a look at it and held it for a bit. It fit me great. It's just like my G17 with a fatter slide. I'd imagine that it wouldn't seem any different from a regular G21 to someone who fits a G19 cause when I decided on the G17 it was because the G19 was a little too small. Also it's not hard at all to find it with the classic rail. At least now that is. I really wanna pick one up, but I'd have to trade in my G17. Only problem with that is I don't wanna part with my 33round G18c mag.:( If only the G18c was civilian legal I'd snag one of those babies and wouldn't care about anything else.:p

P.S. Hi, from the new guy.

ChikAGO
August 12, 2007, 05:07 PM
our department has just approved glocks, and I plan on purchasing the new Glock 21 SF. Currently I own a SiG P226 and use a Hogue grip on it, and loving it. Does anyone know which Hogue grip will fit the new 21 SF? Some say 17 and some say 22. Just want to hear it from you experts. Thank you!:)

ipscshooter
August 12, 2007, 07:50 PM
17 and 22 frame are the same. You might want to check with Hogue and see what they say about fit. I can imagine the one for that frame might be a real bear to get on a 21SF, unless some dish soap would help. The 21SF with a Hogue might be a bit fat for your hand. Maybe Decal Grip would be a better choice.

GLOOB
September 16, 2007, 07:58 PM
I just purchased this gun, the day before the concealed carry class I had signed up for. I had gone in there with pretty firm intentions of buying the Glock 19 that I had handled three weeks earlier. But while there, thinking hard about the $$ I was about to plop down, I felt it was my duty to try out every other gun that was in my price range. I had shot a loaner G21 at the range once, and never quite got on with the bulky grip, so I very nearly ignored the funny-looking G21, underneath the glass. I'm glad I didn't.

When I picked it up, I did a doubletake. "This is .45 cal, right? It holds 13 rounds, right?" I decided in about 2 seconds that Glock had changed the grip, because I could hold it properly! For my hands, there was very little functional difference between the grips on the 19 and 21SF. Not only that, but doublestack and all, I can reach the slide stop without shifting grip, which I can't do on a 1911. I can also reach the mag release (ok, I'm a cheater - I use the one on the right side, pressed with my middle finger), which I cannot do on a 1911.

So for those who are saying that the 21SF is only a gun that would interest G21 fans, I just wanted to tell you that you are wrong. The ones that could ALMOST get their paws securely around a G21 might wanna give this one a try.

Took the CCW class the next day, having never shot the gun, nor any gun, in 10 years. All 40 in the center ring but the last two (but I was getting tired... had the bad flu that day. :)

The gun is so light, and grip so comfortable, I think I'm gonna try shooting off-hand next trip to the club.

k9officer33
October 23, 2007, 06:39 PM
just picked mine up today, wonderful weapon and havent even shot it yet, feels better than the g21, and i have big hands, cant wait to fire it, traded my g23 and got it new, nice duty weapon.

GLOOB
October 23, 2007, 08:43 PM
So I am interested in shooting the 10mm round in my glock. Someone else has posted a pic of a G20 slide on a 21SF frame. But on remtek.com, I found this:

"While some of the smaller components are interchangeable with the 10mm Model 20, you cannot assemble a Model 20 slide group to a Model 21 frame, as the locking block has been altered to prevent this. As with the other models in the Glock series, there are only 35 parts including the magazine. Glock says there are 33, but I count the sights and trigger spring cups as two components each. Of small consequence, as in either case this is still fewer than half the number of bits and pieces found in competing designs.

The Glock's remarkable success in just six years..."

SWAPPING ENTIRE SLIDE ASSEMBLY: So what gives? Did they change the G21 since this was written? Or was the gun in the pic modded by a smith? For that matter, how in the world would you get a G20 slide assembly without buying a complete gun?

DROP IN AFTERMARKET 10MM BARREL: I have also seen 10mm barrels for sale for the G21. So you just drop in a barrel, put in a stiffer recoil spring, and buy new mags? That's all there is to it? I heard that the G20 slide is heavier, so that you have to also install a spring even heavier than the standard G20 spring. Can anyone verify this?

MAGS: isn't the 10mm round LONGER than the .45 ACP?

21SF MAGS: because of the ambidextrous safety, they can't use regular G21 mags. So I wouldn't think they could use the G20 mags, since I don't see a G20 with ambidextrous safety, around. I'm ok with attempting to cut a slot into a G20 mag for use with the ambi safety... I have no qualms messing around with a 20 dollar item. But has anyone else tried this?

MORE MAG????: So if the G20 was designed first, and the mag external dimensions are identical, is the G21 magazine too thin to stack .45 ACP without GAPS between the cartridges?

boomstik45
October 24, 2007, 05:52 PM
Just bought one. If you're used to the G21 or aren't used to any other glocks you will have a hard time telling the difference. Those who could ALMOST get their hands around a regular G21 will notice it immediately. Otherwise, what you have to do is grab a G21 and handle it, then pick up a G21SF. You will notice the difference...and it will grow on you IF you are interested. If your mind is already made up that you're not going to be satisfied, then you won't notice the difference because you choose not to. Fortunately, this will leave more samples for more open-minded and interested individuals.

hkusp
October 25, 2007, 11:57 AM
The G21SF was my first Glock. Now it competes against my SW1911 as my favorite gun. Grip is large, but manageable. My USP45 is up for sale. While still a great gun, it just doesn't fit me as well as the G21SF. Can't explain it. Fit is a very subjective thing.

CountGlockula
October 25, 2007, 03:44 PM
Great reviews folks!

Rob96
November 16, 2007, 05:39 AM
Last week I went to one of the local shops. On the shelf was a previously sold but never fired G21SF with ambi mag release and piccatiny rail. Tag was marked at $399. I traded even up a Springfield Mil-Spec that I had purchased used and had some work done on. Over time I have come to the realization that Glocks are what I am most proficient with.

blitzer0101
November 16, 2007, 01:04 PM
.45 ACP :cool: :D :)

I am sold, due to set backs I can only afford one sidearm for now. With my right thumb being gimped up the ambidextrous safety is a must.

Maybe in a few months when the 30 SF comes out and if only if they had a 36 SF...

:D :cool: ;)

briansp82593
November 16, 2007, 05:58 PM
wow i didnt realize this thread has kept going this long lol :what: anyway, i shot a 21 sf and its my next gun :evil:

bluto
November 16, 2007, 09:09 PM
I held one a few weeks ago and it was very comfortable compared to the original G21. Way to go Glock.

MTS840
November 17, 2007, 11:02 PM
I just picked up my new G21 SF yesterday. Took it to the range, shot 100 rds of WWB with no problems. Very reliable and accurate. In my opinion, you can really feel the difference in the grip while shooting. Much easier to control! It has the regular Glock rail and the single mag release, just like my older G21 but with a shorter grip frame. Works perfectly in my holsters I already had for my regular G21.

mike4guns
January 23, 2008, 07:17 PM
there is a very evident change in the grip size of the old21 and the new 21sf. i have large ,fat fingers. quarterback for 3 years and the 21 old grip did not appeal to me. it is all about what fits. choices are good the more the better. the quality is there. sigs and beretta's stay locked up because i have all the capability and confidence in this g21sf. i have one in the night stand and i carry one. i never gave the old 21's a second thought due to size of grip. good job gaston

mike4guns
January 23, 2008, 07:19 PM
the g20 is next.

stevereno1
January 23, 2008, 07:37 PM
The "ugly" rail is a picatiny rail, and is the first offering of that rail since the inception of the "glock" rail. This one is more pronounced, but will work with whatever little peice of junk that you choose to weigh down your pistol with. Strobe light, laser "scaring" device. flashlight, maybe even one of those stupid bayonets that cz is selling to the web ninjas! I do hope that Glock will start selling the g-21-sf without the rail. I'd probably sell a rifle to get one, but I aint going to buy a gun with a waffle on the end of it. period.

106rr
January 24, 2008, 10:51 PM
I hear rumors of a G30SF. I already have a G21SF and it reakky is a major improvement on the G21.

Rob96
January 25, 2008, 05:49 AM
I hear rumors of a G30SF. I already have a G21SF and it reakky is a major improvement on the G21.

Apparently it is not a rumor. They have an article about it in the 2008 Glock Annual.

KeithB
January 31, 2008, 10:42 AM
Just bought a 21SF yesterday, comes in Friday

Glock Fan
February 5, 2008, 07:33 PM
Just bought a glock 21sf, never owned a glock before, put 100 rnds through it and love it. I have a H&K usp 40 also, but it doesn't touch the glock. More accurate,better ergonomics, and $250 dollars cheaper!

mike4guns
February 21, 2008, 09:08 PM
this slim frame model 21 is mega accurate and the trigger is as light as it takes to make a ragged hole at 15 yards. it's my everyday gun and won't leave home without it. the old 21 feels like a brick. how they ever let that size handle get out of the factory i'll never know. the 21sf should have been the conventional size and the old21 as a large hand size. like for guys that play in the nba that can't find anything else to fit. wish my sigs held 13 45's

recluse
March 9, 2008, 09:51 PM
I'm VERY interested in getting a Glock 21SF for CCW. The only other .45 I'm considering for that role is my Para Ordnance P-14. I've been hearing things about Glock 21's blowing-up, as a result of their chamber design. Does anybody know if the G21SF has been modified to address this problem?

lrrs1
March 24, 2008, 10:43 AM
Recluse, I don't think they changed anything other than the grip size and ambi mag release.

I have never owned a glock. I have shot the 22 and 17 and they both point at the ceiling for me. The 21sf points very good for me for some reason.

I didn't notice much of a difference between the 21 and 21sf. I know the gun shop owner pretty good and he let me play with them quite a bit. I compared the grips and it was very difficult to see a difference. Ambi mag release is great though.

If I don't warm up to my new HK45 soon, I will probably get the 21sf. I can sell the stupid expensive HK, buy the glock and 10 mags and 500 rds of ammo for the same price.....gotta mention HK mags are 50 a pop (if you can find them) and then you gotta change the springs to wolf so they work properly. Not happy with HK right now...teutonic ******bags.

DougDubya
March 24, 2008, 01:02 PM
How've the 21SF's been holding up, any who picked them up?

GLOOB
March 25, 2008, 09:33 PM
If I could do it over, I'd get the 21SF with the standard GLOCK rail, due to holster availability. Other than that, it's holding up great. Accuracy is top notch. To date, I've had no malfunctions and zero kabooms. :)

I really want a G19, next, and I intended to buy one the other day. But when I picked it up, that's when I noticed I've been spoiled by the ambi mag release. (I'm righty but use the wrong release). Right now I'm waiting, hoping GLOCK will start adding ambi release to their other pistols.

EDIT: However, I did notice that the G19 trigger was noticeable lighter and crisper. I understand the 21SF has redesigned parts to provide a longer striker pull, and early models were shipped with more roughly finished parts.

Beamish
March 25, 2008, 10:52 PM
Has anyone ever tried to use, or modify for use, old G21 mags in the SF?

I have been intrigued by the SF since my G21 has not fit my hand as well as I would like but I hate the idea of re-buying a dozen mags. Is the mag that different or is it something that two minutes with a file could fix?

conrad carter
March 26, 2008, 12:42 AM
I think the grip angle is different and more like the 1911.

Bulldog500
March 26, 2008, 07:37 AM
You guys rock..

GLOOB
March 27, 2008, 07:03 PM
Unless you want to cut your slot all the way through the inner sheet metal, it's not something you could easily do with a file. I think a small routing bit would be the ticket. You would have to make the slot a bit wider than stock, to factor in the rounded corners you would end up with.

The good bit is even if you screwed it up, it'd still work in a standard G21.

Edit: I heard they are starting to sell 9mm mags with the ambi slot, already.

BlackBaer
April 8, 2008, 01:17 PM
Can the M21sf be converted from ambi-safety into single sided safety? If so, can the old M21 mags then be used?

GLOOB
April 8, 2008, 03:39 PM
The answer to that is a resounding no. There is no way for the standard release to fit, unless you did some major surgery to the ambi frame.

SGT Duff Man
April 22, 2008, 10:58 PM
If you haven't yet bought the 21SF. Glock sells them in different variants. There is an ambi safety/picatinny railed version, and a standard safety/standard frame. I've also heard of an ambi safety/standard frame, but it wasn't mentioned when I called glock. I was only interested in the standard stuff, minus the huge grip. :)

If you're an LE or MIL you can get one for $464.20 through your state LE dealer or straight from glock in 6-8 weeks and you pay the standard FFL transfer fee of your prefered dealer. It will ship with hard case, lock, pistol and 3 hi cap mags. Same w/glock nightsights 521.40, w/trijicon nightsights 543.40. If you got questions call glock at 770-432-1202

Todesengel
April 23, 2008, 10:10 AM
since i have to help the economy with the stimulus check i'll be receiving soon from the dear government - I'm going to spend my $600 on a gun and i'll have a look at the G21SF since i like the idea of a reduced grip size compared to the g21.
However, i heard that glock increased the price of their mags by 40% and cheap mag prices have always been a deciding factor when i bought a glock - sadly they lost that advantage now.

tac_driver
April 23, 2008, 08:14 PM
I bought the New G21SF after trying the original 21. These are my observations.
1)It has a better balance
2)It points better at the target
3)It has a crisp trigger and breaks clean with less travel
4)It is extremely accurate at 15yds. better than .5" groups
5)Recoil is very managable no problems reaquiring the target
I let 6 different people shoot it and they all loved it. (4 of them were marines 1 civilian and one child) They said it fit their hand beautifully and the trigger was smooth, every shot broke consistantly. some were Glock owners.
The drawbacks are that the original G21 mags won't fit the new ones and the mag plugs won't fit either.

I shoot left-handed and when i originally tried the Glock I didn't like the way it felt in my hand. Now it feels good in my hand and it has the ambi mag release.
I paid 540.00 and the store added the adjustible sights for free.

Northalius
April 24, 2008, 12:01 AM
SF = Short Frame. It's "shorter" from front to back. They reduced the "hump" (anyone can heat up the back of their Glock grip and simply push it in to do this...).

For you whiny sissy-boys that complain about a dang hump on a grip "feeling uncomfortable" (wah waaaaaah! :D): It's there for a reason. There's a hole on the bottom so you can slip your finger inside to more effectively grasp the magazine in case it jams one day. This was put on Glocks because the [Austrian] soldiers wanted this when Gaston was designing this pistol. So, you see, there's a TACTICAL reason for the "hump" back there. It's not for girly-men who whine about how "it feels" all the time. You'll thank the heavens it's there if your mag ever jams in combat. Enough said. :p

BTW: The Glock 21 (and 21SF) holds 14* rounds in it! Thirteen in the magazine, one in the chamber! Just to clarify. ;)

GLOCK has come out with the Glock 30SF, as well; for those who want a compact sized SF model in .45 ACP. I believe they're coming out with SF models for all other calibers, as well. But, we'll have to wait and see.

Remember, you can easily heat up the back up your TOTALLY UNLOADED pistol grip and push it in to reduce the hump, if it annoys you that much.

The angle simply takes getting used to, is all. There're people that say Glock feels awkward to them, yet they shoot the Glock better than their other gun without a slant on it, for "some odd reason." ;)

The SF is NOT the "Slim frame." The only Slim framed Glock is the Glock 36. This model is thinner from side to side, as in how thick the gun is, not front to back. It's 1.1 inches thick.

Glocks have thicker grips because they usually hold more rounds than most other guns, and usually in double-stack style.

Now that I educated you guys, maybe you'll give Glock more of a chance, seeing as how there're good [tactical] reasons as to why Glock grips are... the way they are. RESPECT THEM! They deserve it! :banghead:

jgo296
April 24, 2008, 02:13 AM
first to answer the question about 10mm length it seems identical to a 45acp, the case is longer on the 10mm but the bullet is longer on the 45
i have a 21 and went and held a 21sf to me the difference in very slight (have 20 also)
My question is if glock was going to make the grip smaller why didnt they make it the size of an xd45 ?
i own and completely trust glocks if in the years to come the springfield xd's turn out as reliable and durable as a glock i might be interested
could you imagine a 10mm the size of the xd45 4 inch?
also the xd guns are the only guns in existance that make a glock look pretty.

Northalius
April 24, 2008, 10:50 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Ammo%20pics/9mm-357sig-40sw-10mm-45acp-45gap.jpg

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601396

The 10mm is still a bit taller, but yeah, not by much. The 9mm, .357 SIG and .40 S&W are much closer in height, as compared to the .45 ACP vs. 10mm.

To answer that question with some theories:

I believe Glock left the grip still a bit bigger because: a bigger grip helps spread out recoil (especially when shooting high power 10mm), and plus the hole in the grip is still there, just reduced. The hole is still tactically sound, just not used much, since magazines rarely get jammed up inside of the gun. It's there for when you need it, though, and you'll be thankful. :)

jgo296
April 24, 2008, 02:24 PM
the ball ammo in 45 is identical in length to the 10mm

Nikon777
May 2, 2008, 08:37 PM
Im ordering one as well. And I love the picatinny rail so many people seem to hate. :neener:

http://bp0.blogger.com/_8IcO1ehweFs/RemOlLdBJHI/AAAAAAAAAZ8/_4_NX_HtQPU/s1600/Glock%2B21%2B%26%2B17%2Bcomp.jpg

MrHideous
June 2, 2008, 10:53 PM
the rail on the SF is available in two styles, the traditional "glock" rail & the new picatinny rail. I bought the traditional rail to guarantee working with model 21 holsters. the pic rail is thicker & may not work in standard 21 holsters. I like the feel because the trigger is 1/8" closer to the back of the guard. It's a great complement to my "normal carry" model 36.

June 29, 2008, 01:31 AM
I shoot SIGs in 9mm and .40 S&W, 1911s (Colt Series 70 and Wilson Combat CQB), and only recently started shooting Glocks; G19, G26, G21SF. I like the Glock trigger and am keeping all of them with the stock #5.5 connector. Great reset for follow-up shots. The 21SF I got was a blue label, non-ambi, glock rail with trijicon night sights. The 13 + 1 is a plus. One hundred percent reliability so far. Only mod is a Lone Wolf anodized black barrel, ss guide rod / spring assembly, and a butt plug. Slow fire at 7yd:

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/5381/g21sf4wp1.th.jpg (http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=g21sf4wp1.jpg)

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/8196/g21sf2vv7.th.jpg (http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=g21sf2vv7.jpg)http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/7559/g21sf1gn5.th.jpg (http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=g21sf1gn5.jpg)

denfoote
June 29, 2008, 02:57 AM
I'd like to get one, but I can't afford it right now.

45 GAP
August 2, 2008, 10:09 PM
I gave my 21 to my son and ordered a 21SF, standard rail and safety. Although it was a bit too large, I did all of my tactical training with the 21. The 21SF fits much better. I am waiting for the Cali waiting period to be over to pick it up. I usually install the 3.5 lb connector to lighten the trigger, extended slide release, night sights and a BarSto barrel. My only qusetion: With the standard (Non-ambi) safety, will the old mags still work?

Master of Arms
August 3, 2008, 02:57 PM
It looks like it would feel funny in the hand and that the recoil would have a little more umff. Don`t know `bout this one. I`m a 100% all the way Glock fan but I`d have to see how it felt first.

jonboynumba1
August 3, 2008, 06:55 PM
I owned an older G21 (before the might light rails emerged-LOL) it was a great pistol...caried it around 6 months and put about 1K-1200 rounds through it. Shot very well....100% reliable (with one exception...if you fire really hot 200gr +P ammo I think the slide was outrunning the ammo comming up from the mag (maybe bouncing it down for a fraction of a second?) I tried going to a heavier recoil spring and it still did the same thing...but I normally carried 230gr HP anyway...and even +P 230gr didn't do this. I think I remember hearing the +10% power Wolf magazine springs would fix this issue. Personally I find 200gr +P unpleasant anyway so it was never really an issue...just the only thing I ever found it wouldn't shoot 100% reliable. It also shot snakeshot VERY well (actually a nice pattern...sometimes it would choke on this but not nearly as bad a a 1911 does...that stuff isn't intended to really cycle in an auto anyway!)

At the end of the day I found it just a bit hard recoiling when you shoot 300+ rounds in an afternoon...a little more so than a heavier 5" 1911 It was just a little bulky and felt like a 2x4 in hand...I traded it on the 1911 I built on. The new slim version looks and feels really good though....I still preffer my .45's to be of the 1911 persuation....though I'm toting a G22 as I type this as EDC. The G21 is deffinately an often overlooked value leader in reliable .45 service autos though. Reliable and tough and shoots pretty well to boot. Had I had the SF model I'd probably have kept it.

They need to release a 10mm G20SF!!

GLOCKENNBOOMER
September 5, 2008, 04:21 PM
I have a G21SF and love it.......Tough and reliable.

Supertac45
September 5, 2008, 07:48 PM
Glocks are overpriced to the aveage consumer. I hate them even though I can get them through a Department discount. I don't own one.

R&J
September 5, 2008, 08:08 PM
I started this journey with a new 3rd Gen G21. I have large hands, so fit was never an issue. I love that gun!

If you find that the new SF version fits your hands, where the original version didn't, then it is a BIG deal! Otherwise, no.

The G21SF is available with the Picatinny Rail, as shown, or the standard Glock Rail...

The upper dimensions of the SF series are supposed to be the same.

A G20SF (10mm) is eagerly awaited.

The G30SF is available in limited quantities now...

A G29SF (10mm) is anticipated.

--Ray

911Boss
September 5, 2008, 09:09 PM
I am one of those folks with smaller hands that a G21 was just too big for. Held the SF and it was like holding my G23!

As others have noted, it is a tackdriver! Better groups for me than my P220, and just as tight as my Kimber 1911.

I had an M&P45 for a short time, liked it and it was comfortable, but it wasn't a Glock. Glock gives you 30% more capacity (50% with a Pearce +2 extension) and for me, better groups.

I've modified my rail a little and got it to fit in my Serpa holster. With the Streamlight TLR-2 attached, it has become the nightstand gun.

I even CC it on occasion in a Comp-Tac MTAC holster, that will probably stop though when I pick up a Glock 30SF in a few weeks.

http://www.wilsonvilleusa.com/guns/822g21.jpg

http://www.wilsonvilleusa.com/guns/g21sf.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 21 sf" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!