Disappointed :(

PDA

jfanzen
March 3, 2007, 09:04 PM
I purchased a brand new walther p22 three four days ago and i finally went to the range today. I would shoot the first round and then the second wouldnt load into the chamber???? why is that? is that common? I would pull the slide back then put that stuck bullet in the chamber and it would fire fine.. then after a couple more rounds i would shoot the first shot and the second shot wouldnt go into the chamber...? thats basically the only problem.. how can i correct this? or is this normal?? it seemed like the bullets needed lubrication so they wouldnt get stuck...my cz po1 fired like a champ times 3 :) i was dissapointed but man that little p22 was awesome too shoot.. i got bored i had soo many bullets...it was awesome practice.. any feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Disappointed :(" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
waynedm
March 3, 2007, 09:11 PM
I own one and it's been nothing but great. Go to www.rimfirecentral.com and look up the Walther section, there are a few threads about the things and stuff you can do to make them run better if you're having issues, yes, there are many pictures.

.cheese.
March 3, 2007, 09:20 PM
OP - I have a P22 and yeah - it's not the best gun in the world I have to admit.

It's fun when it works, but there are a lot of problems with it.

First of all, it's VERY picky about ammo. Go get a couple different types of .22lr and try them out to see which loads best. I can't remember which ones would replicate what you are experiencing, but I can say I do remember it was happening. Nowadays I mainly use CCI mini-mag HPs and Stingers, as well as the Remington golden whatevers. Both work well.

Federal bulk 550 packs are OK. It's hit or miss with them. I've had a box or two which worked well, and a box or two which had a ton of bad primers.

Also the firing pin on the P22 is finicky. It seems to be positioned slightly off so that while it strikes the .22, I do get FTF's at least once out of every 30 rounds. Sometimes more like once every 10 or 20 depending upon what's going through it.

A couple things you can try to fix your particular problem - get a steel brush and a polishing cloth and polish the feed-ramp. Also I've found that using Rem-Oil on the P22 works better than what I usually use - Break-Free CLP. The Remoil has Teflon, which helps with the P22, especially if you get some of it all over the slide rails, etc. Wipe it off with just a little left. Then put some grease on the barrel (I know most people don't like to do that), just a light film, and some grease in the slide rails. Just a drop or two each and then spread it by racking the slide back and forth maybe 20 times.

Your P22 will get better as you break it in. It's a finicky little gun. A fun gun, though.

You'll also probably be dissapointed with the accuracy. Mine is not very accurate. I'm looking to get a Ruger Mark III soon so I can have more .22lr fun with accuracy.

Mainly I intend to keep the P22 to have for fun, and also to use to teach people how to use "real" guns as it mimicks most pistols.

Work on the lubrication, polishing the feed-ramp, and ammo selection. If you still have a problem after that, PM me.

mattw
March 3, 2007, 09:26 PM
it seemed like the bullets needed lubrication

For safety's sake you should never lube your bullets.

AK103K
March 3, 2007, 09:26 PM
I wouldnt start polishing anything until I shot it awhile and tried some different ammo. Most .22's tend to like one brand or another, although my P22 doesnt seem to mind what I feed it.

What spring are you using? You may want to swap them out and see if that helps. I'm using the one what came installed, and anything I put in seems to work fine.

Did you clean and relube the gun before you shot it?

waynedm
March 3, 2007, 09:30 PM
Unless you like taking it down to clean it after every session, I wouldn't suggest running oil on the slides on these things. The slide is zinc. The burnt powder mixes with the oil and makes one hell of an abrasive, that zinc wears very fast in those conditions.

jfanzen
March 3, 2007, 09:42 PM
thanks fellas.. i thought i bought a defective gun.... and when i said it seemed like the bullets needed lubrication.. i was just using that as an example for people to better understand what my problem was... today i used federal and blazer..and i already lubed it up pretty well... soo tomorrow ill take it apart and clean it off real well..thanks soo much guys...and man... that little thing was awesome..my 13 year old brother was trying to hogg it... i ran out of bullets and still had tons left for the 22.. i honestly got bored at the range for the first time i had soooooooo many bullets.. and mine seemed pretty accurate.. real acurate i would say... thanks again you guys..!! seriously!o and yea i took it apart when i first brought it home lubed it up a little bit

AK103K
March 3, 2007, 09:53 PM
I strip and clean mine after every outing, just like I do any of my pistols. The .22's always get cruddy and usually require a good cleaning to keep running right, at least every one I ever owned did. I've seen some people post that they never take them down and clean them, which I find hard to believe.

I mostly use a light coat of grease on mine and so far, after more than a couple of thousand rounds at this point, I've seen no wear on the slide or any other parts.

atblis
March 4, 2007, 12:00 AM
. i thought i bought a defective gun.
No, just a P22.

New guns can be a little quirky. Shoot it some. Give it a good cleaning, and then start worrying.

chipp
March 4, 2007, 12:10 AM
I like my p-22. Had the same problem with somecheap ammo. No problem with cci stingers.

Unless you like taking it down to clean it after every session, I wouldn't suggest running oil on the slides on these things. The slide is zinc. The burnt powder mixes with the oil and makes one hell of an abrasive, that zinc wears very fast in those conditions.

waynedm thanks for that advice.

FieroCDSP
March 4, 2007, 01:07 AM
JFanzen, One thing is the way the ammo is seated in the mags. IF you just load them, jams and fail-to-strips are common. I slap the back edge of the mag against my palm to make sure all of the rounds are seated at teh back of the mag, providing a bit of run-up to the ramp. This has reduced my FTS to one in fifty or less. As stated above, ammo is important. I'd imagine anything but bulk winchester would work. Am Eagle and Fed Champion are the ones I use, but Mini-mags would probably work nice and smooth. Grease is good on the barrel.

aaronrkelly
March 4, 2007, 02:06 AM
I think the problem your having is due to ammunition.

Mine, and most others, loves CCI Minimags......I believe thats the ammunition the factory test fires the guns with as well. Try some of that before you give up on it.

waynedm
March 4, 2007, 09:50 AM
One thing is the way the ammo is seated in the mags. IF you just load them, jams and fail-to-strips are common. I slap the back edge of the mag against my palm to make sure all of the rounds are seated at teh back of the mag, providing a bit of run-up to the ramp.

Weird. I developed that habit with magazines years ago and I have no idea where it came from. I still do it to this day with every gun I shoot, it's a habit I can't break. Maybe it's an okay thing. Nice to know I'm not the only one slapping my mags.

crebralfix
March 4, 2007, 12:02 PM
Sell it and get a Ruger MK 2 or 3.

I have had many 22 LR guns, including conversion kits for the Glock and 1911. The Ruger is by far more reliable with a wide variety of ammunition.

If that's not an option, then go to the store and buy 100 rounds of every type they have in stock. Shoot them all and TAKE GOOD NOTES. Record the type of failure, if any. At some point, you'll have a pretty good idea of what works and what is inconsistent.

Also remember a failure to fire is usually a problem with the rimfire ammunition, if your gun is stock. Even with the Ruger, I had two duds today with Remington Golden Bullets.

Mad Magyar
March 4, 2007, 12:07 PM
The .22LR cartridge comes in varying grades of quality. I had the same problems with my .22 semi-auto, namely a Beretta. Use high-velocity loads and make sure the slide is thoroughly lubricated...
Good luck...

gazpacho
March 4, 2007, 12:26 PM
Don't use that little button on the side to pull the follower down when you load the magazine. Press down from the top with the cartridge. It's actually a semi-staggered magazine, and if you pull the follower down, you can get some miss staggered ammo, causing significantly more upward pressure against the moving slide. This can cause misfeeds. Sounds stupid, but try it.

Also, get a can of Gun Scrubber (synthetic/rubber safe version) and hose the crap out of your gun. Then lightly lubricate with RemOil with Teflon. Just a bare minimum little. This gun doesn't need much.

Jeff Timm
March 4, 2007, 01:42 PM
Check the manual and make certain the Barrel is tight, not rotating.

Geoff
Who hasn' had a problem with CCi Mini-Mags and Remington Stingers.
:D

Ragnar Danneskjold
March 4, 2007, 02:35 PM
Man, I don't understand where all this hate towards the P22 is coming from. I've got one and have had about 3 FTEs ever, and not a single other problem.

I think you probably did just get a defect, not "you just got a P22". Not all P22s are junk, I know mine sure isn't.

KINGMAX
March 4, 2007, 02:50 PM
The mag is not a true double stack. When you load the mag, tap it in the palm of your hand prior to seating it. It tells you that in the booklet.

Use Remington gold bullets in the 550 round box. They seem to work the best for me. Once you has shot 2500 rounds it will be broke in, should improve the performance.

I really emjoy shooting it, very accurate.

.cheese.
March 4, 2007, 04:45 PM
to whomever said not to use oil on the slide rails:

yes - I do strip it every time I shoot it just like I do any gun. It gets fully brushed cleaned and lubed every time. With many guns it's not necessary, but unfortunately with my P22 it seems to be the only way to enjoy it at the range with as few problems as possible.

The P22 needs to be lubed and the feed-ramp nice and smooth for it to function well. At least mine does.

btw - mine has had about 2000 rounds through it. Maybe wait until you get to 500 rounds before you decide whether yours needs as much care as mine. Like somebody said, new guns can cause trouble until they're broken in.

twinhairdryers
March 4, 2007, 06:55 PM
These are crap guns. Sell it as soon as you can get it to run at least through one mag with cherry picked ammo. There are nothing but problem reports out there on this design.

Get a Ruger, or Buckmark, or Sig Trailside if you want a good accurate 22lr autoloader. You could get a new or lightly used one of these for the same price as that Walther. They made a mistake on that one.

Ragnar Danneskjold
March 4, 2007, 07:09 PM
Nothing but problem reports?

jfanzen
March 4, 2007, 09:51 PM
i totally love this gun.. the looks are awesome.. that what made me buy it.. i didnt do that much research on it.. but yea im going to break it in and all and ill keep it. its sooooooooo accurate! and i tap the mag on my palm for every single gun i shoot.. thats what i was thought and its a good habit.. Thanks to all of you helpful members that helped me out. have a great one fellas

Ragnar Danneskjold
March 4, 2007, 10:02 PM
good move jfanzen. Make up your own mind. None of the fans or naysayers are going to be firing your guns. How satisfied YOU are with them is all that matters.

waynedm
March 4, 2007, 10:07 PM
At least it's not a Mosquito. :barf:

Onmilo
March 5, 2007, 09:31 AM
All I am going to say is that I HAD a Walther P22.
We don't even carry them in the shop for retail sale anymore.

silverlance
March 5, 2007, 01:36 PM
Sell your P22 and buy a Mosquito :evil:

i spent six months cussing out sig, the mosquito, and every german across the pond before sending it back to sig in frustration. they sent it back four weeks later stating that they test fired 60 rounds of mini mag with no problems, and that i was just imagining things. !!

i had listed a whole host of problems, from piss poor accuracy to FTF to FTE to FTC (failure to chamber).

Well I got it back and I refuse dot fire it fo another 6 months believing it to be a piece of junk.

Well it still is sort of a crappy design but my sister took it three weeks ago to the range. I told her that it ahd problems but then she put 600 rounds of mini mag through it in one session with only about 1 or 2 problems!!!

the funny thing is that i had tested minimag in it before but only about 20 rounds. i guess when they tell you to use mini mag they really mean it.. either that or SIG actually did do somethign with the gun when they had it and just wouldn't admit it.

your p22 MAY suffer from the same problem. pony up the extra $ for mini mags and your problems will more than likely go away.

evan price
March 5, 2007, 01:53 PM
Hmm. My P22 shoots 3.5" groups at 25 feet. It eats any .22 ammo I put into it including the cheap walmart Golden Bullet ammo in the 550 pack. I have no trouble with it feeding, except when you put the fresh mag in you have to pull the slide back to release it instead of just thumbing the slide release, but after 1500 rounds that has gone away. I drycycled the slide for about 20 minutes with some teflon lube while watching TV, like I do any new semiauto, to break it in before I ever fire it, it feels like oiled glass like it should now.
It's not a highly accurate Olympic target pistol but it is a great training tool and fun to plink away with. If people want to bash the P22 remember what a PITA is is to clean a Woodsman, Ruger or Buckmark and they are a totally different grade of firearm altogether. I use my P22 to teach new shooters to shoot using something that is more tactical looking and feeling and it transitions easily to a P99 or something else similar shaped. Also it's great for tactical target practice on the cheap.
If you don't like a firearm regardless of it being a P22 or a Glock or whatever that's fine but keep the broad brush strokes to a minimum, "Gun XXX all suck" is pretty silly.

AK103K
March 5, 2007, 02:18 PM
Hmm. My P22 shoots 3.5" groups at 25 feet. It eats any .22 ammo I put into it including the cheap walmart Golden Bullet ammo in the 550 pack.
Mine is the same way, and so is my Mosquito. I often wonder how well these people with "inaccurate" pistols do with all the others they shoot.

If people want to bash the P22 remember what a PITA is is to clean a Woodsman, Ruger or Buckmark and they are a totally different grade of firearm altogether.
I've always wondered about this too. Over the years, I've owned at least one of probably any .22 maker you can think of. To a one, they all had issues when dirty, required cleaning after each outing, and all had issues with various makes of ammo. Some liked one brand, others would feed pretty much anything you put in them. 100% of them had issues with "fails to fire" due to the inherent problem of .22 rimfire ammo.

Amazingly, "I hear on the internet"( :) ), if you own anything other than the P22 and Mosquito, that you DONT ever have to clean any of them, they are all totally reliable, they are all tack drivers, and never have an issue of any type. WOW, I really am in awe. After all these years, every .22 I ever bought was defective! It truly is amazing.

Chem Geek
March 5, 2007, 02:47 PM
I often wonder how well these people with "inaccurate" pistols do with all the others they shoot.

Baazing! :neener:

There's a target model at my local range, dirty as hell using CCI Blazer it would only occasionally FTF. The sights had drifted pretty far off, but it was grouping quite nicely. Next time I have money I'll pick one up for my fiance and for me to have cheap fun with. :D

atblis
March 6, 2007, 01:46 PM
My Ruger Mark II Target puts all 10rnds of CCI SV into a 1 inch group at 25yds all day long.

My CZ Kadet will put 10rnds into about 1.5" all day long.

Sig Trailside (friends) will easily put a full clip into a sub 1" group all day long.

My experience with three different P22s. About 5-6" at 25 yards was a good day (with any ammo). My friends P22 came apart in his face about two weeks ago. Zinc isn't very durable.

I shoot 22s so I don't have to buy expensive ammo. Having to shoot minimags to get something to function is pretty lame.

The P22 is junk!

waynedm
March 6, 2007, 01:58 PM
The P22 is junk!

Not mine! :neener: Mine groups 1/2" at 21 feet which is what I normally shoot at. The gun's accurate, the sights are pretty :barf:

scurtis_34471
March 6, 2007, 02:32 PM
My P22 is flawless with CCI Mini-Mags or CCI Stingers. Everything else is hit or miss. Solution? Buy ammo that works well in the gun. Problem solved.

Jamie C.
March 6, 2007, 05:47 PM
Okay... a comment on small .22 semi-autos and ammo in general...

Most .22 autos will fire something reliably... the problem being figuring out what.

Me, I'm of a mind to alter the gun to shoot what I'll find the cheapest and easiest.

Case in point, the Beretta 21 I just bought.
I'm told, and have read, that these things like CCI mini-mags and such. The problem here is, I tend to almost always have a thousand rounds or so of some cheap walmart "bulk pak" laying around, so that's what I shoot the most.

Now, my new Bobcat didn't like that stuff... It either wouldn't chamber the next round, or it would grab the case before it cleared the slide, creating a kind of "bridge" jam. ( Like a stovepipe, 'cept the case is horizontal/length ways in the port )

So I had a decision to make; one, find and buy what the gun liked. Or two, fix the gun so it liked what i had.

Being a lazy, cheap bastard, with a better than passing knowledge of firearms, I elected the second choice.

I noticed right off that Beretta puts too much recoil spring in these guns. They're just too strong for average/normal .22 ammo. And this is just fine for a gun that will in all likelihood be used for defensive purposes, and is in a rather anemic caliber ( It forces most people to use the higher velocity/higher quality ammo ). But, as I said, this isn't what I shoot the most. Also, even with the gun being altered to fire the punier ammo, it'll still handle the "good stuff" with no problem. ( No problem if lots of it aren't fired anyway... Could end up with a bit of battering if it is. )

So, I sat down, took the little gun apart, and trimmed a couple of coils off of each recoil spring, put it back together and went and shot it. Right off, I had less problems. Instead of jamming up ever round, it only happened every 5 or so.

So back in the house I went, and repeated the disassembly/spring-trimming process.

All total, I think I took 3 and 1/2 coils off the recoil springs, then stretched them back out just a bit, to allow for settling and break-in. And as of right this second, the gun will digest Federal's 36 gr. HV bulk pak ammo without a single hitch or bobble.

Now, this could change later on down the road. If it does, I'll order a couple more recoil springs and go at it again. But for now, the Bobcat purrs like a kitten with what I'm most likely to feed it. :D

Oh, and in case some of you are wondering why i didn't cut on the hammer/main spring... it's because it actually absorbs most of the recoil forces, and slows the slide down in these little guns. Chopping on it would have worked, but it would have been a much tougher, more tedious job. And would have, in all likelihood, ended up working, but causing damage to the frame, in the long run. The recoil spring, on the other hand, seems to serve more to close the slide, and keep it closed, than it does anything else, with these little guns. If it's stripping rounds off the mag, and seating them, it's good to go.

( The hammer not only resists the initial "charge' of the slide heading rearward, but drags on it the whole way as well. It also provides a little "speed bump, there toward the end, when the slide has to cross over the crest/"corner" of the hammer. If I had not gotten the results I wanted with just the recoil springs, I would have also had to work the main spring too... but as I said, screwing around with it is a much more risky proposition, in my opinion. )

Anyway, sorry for the long, drawn-out post. I just thought you folks would like to know that when it comes to a .22 auto, you might need to decide whether you need to choose different ammo, work on the gun, both... or just pick another gun.

J.C.

pablo45
March 6, 2007, 07:04 PM
Yes. Mine does the same thing after about 400 round's. Just give it a good cleaning. I just gave mine a good spit shine at the range and it worked great after that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Disappointed :(" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!