Advertising

PDA

waynedm
March 4, 2007, 09:12 AM
Watching something on the History Channel this morning I saw the CEO of Smith and Wesson talkning about the company. He was asked what he would say to the CEO of his largest competitor, He said 'nothing' most likely. He did say something to the effect of the industry needing to do more to advertise as a whole. He also mentioned that there are a lot of people (antis) out there that spread vicious lies about guns without even having a clue as to the facts.

This got me wondering why gun manufacturers don't advertise in main stream media more? Why don't we see gun ads on CNN (or whoever) commercial breaks? Maybe something like a woman home alone at night like those ADT commercials where somebody breaks a window with intent to break in and she hits the ADT button, but instead of that she grabs her 870 and racks that thing and the guy takes off before even getting inside?

With all intent at gun grabbing these days it seems as though we the consumers are left to try and fight the antis. Why aren't the manufacturers doing their part to start converting these people? Why not run ads about the 2A? Why aren't they doing their part to change opinion? You'd think since their livelihood depends on it that they'd do more to defend it than they do.

More people are killed every year by beer than guns but you'll notice they do plenty of advertising on TV. I think the companies are copping out of the their responsibility to put guns in a positive light.

If you enjoyed reading about "Advertising" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
oneshooter
March 4, 2007, 09:57 AM
Our local paper, The Houston Comical, will not allow handgun ads in the sporting goods for sale listing. I have not seen a major ad from a dealer in a while. That is a big part of the answer, most "major" papers do not allow such ads.

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

NukemJim
March 4, 2007, 10:02 AM
Shortly after 9/11 Front Sight offered to train pilots to carry guns for free. Piazzo (SP?) tried to buy airtime on broadcast TV and was not able to. They would not sell him the time. He was able to buy time on some cable stations. Sure blew my mind the first time I saw one :D

NukemJim

hso
March 4, 2007, 10:08 AM
Print media is dying. Broadcast is being marginaized by Cable. Cable and Internet reach far more people and would be more effective than the others.

I would like to see S&W and Springfield and Ruger advertising as a group on the cable channels right at the 6-8 pm slots where news programs are shown. Low key, defensive and sporting advertisments would go a long way.

bogie
March 4, 2007, 11:50 AM
When John Ross was advertising his classes in St. Louis, he had to go cable. And he caught a lot of angry phone calls from antis.

There's really not that much profit margin in the gun business, and advertising would run it up even more.

Remington made something like 100,000 rifles a coupla years ago.

A lousy million dollars spent on advertising would add $10 each to the price.

And you guys would bitch about it.

Can't win.

308win
March 4, 2007, 12:01 PM
I don't believe the gun manufacturers view the general population as their market. And, they know they don't have to advertise to the market they are trying to reach in the general media as we (most of us anyway) will get the information we need from specialty media, other enthusiasts, internet, etc. There is a lot they could do using the internet to place pro-gun information and a little sophistication to get more prominant placement when certian search terms are used but this would require a more strategic approach than exists in the industry today.

Nasty Jack
March 4, 2007, 12:52 PM
Yeah, sure . . . CSI Miami should advertise Smith & Wesson.

When I watch the History Channel about guns, I note that Colt and Smith & Wesson both readily cover their ass on public relations. Ruger was backing the assault weapons ban, as was Smith. Colt is pushing for "smart guns."

I'm not buying any of it.

bogie
March 4, 2007, 01:13 PM
Boycott them all, drive 'em out of business. That'll show the anti-gunners...

geekWithA.45
March 4, 2007, 01:20 PM
A lot of states have "No gun ads in the newspaper" laws.

That leaves ladies home journal and its ilk, which are obsessed with food, body image, sex and macrame, or the weekly newsrags, which have sided with the forces of darkness.

rockstar.esq
March 4, 2007, 01:26 PM
So maybe you folks never noticed that gun companies, and tobacco companies have been prevented from advertising on T.V. Further they aren't allowed to run ads supporting a particular political candidate. Seems pretty unfair considering that anti's are allowed to prop up whatever politico wants to hold their banner and televise the entire thing!

beaucoup ammo
March 4, 2007, 01:41 PM
Good reply to an inane editorial:

http://blogs.courant.com/roger_catlin_tv_eye/2006/12/santas_got_a_gu.html#comments

If you enjoyed reading about "Advertising" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!