How many states allow supressors?

PDA

Fatelvis
March 4, 2007, 03:52 PM
Im starting to read alot about people legally installing surpressors on thier weapons. I assumed that very few states (I know mine isn't on the list!) allowed them. How many states do allow them? Thanks-

If you enjoyed reading about "How many states allow supressors?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LawBot5000
March 4, 2007, 04:21 PM
Sorted by population:
California, New York , Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maryland, Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas, Hawaii, Rhode Island, Delaware, DC

about 40 percent of the adult population lives in suppressor-banned regions.

Leanwolf
March 4, 2007, 04:35 PM
Idaho does. Follow the Fed. laws, however. Tax stamp, etc.

L.W.

wdlsguy
March 4, 2007, 04:41 PM
Scroll down to "STATE NFA RESTRICTIONS" in the NFA FAQ (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/nfa_faq.txt).

Fatelvis
March 5, 2007, 01:15 PM
The NFA link doesn't work, is there a way I can find it manually? Thanks-

Hoppy590
March 5, 2007, 01:30 PM
works fine for me
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/nfa_faq.txt

MA allows other NFA stuff but not supressors or "covert weapons"

Jorg Nysgerrig
March 5, 2007, 01:32 PM
Worked for me

Relevent info posted below.

APPENDIX
STATE NFA RESTRICTIONS

Here is my attempt to list what state allows what in terms of
NFA weapons. The "Y" indicates state law allows private
individuals to own the weapon in question. Most of the "Y" states
require the weapons be possessed in compliance with federal law to
be legal under state law. Some of the "N" states may allow only
police officers to possess them, or dealers, or neither. Basically
if the privileged class was so narrow, by statute, I said "N". In
many states the class of folks able to own NFA weapons is narrow by
practice (California), or because no law enforcement officers will
sign the certification needed for a transfer to an individual.
Some of the "N" states may also have grandfathered weapons, the "N"
applies to a current transaction. Some "N" states may also allow
unserviceable weapons. Some states may regulate one or more of
these weapons as handguns.

KEY
MG - machine gun
SI - sound suppressor (silencer)
SR - short barreled rifle
SG - short shotgun
AOW - any other weapon
LBDD - large bore destructive device
EXPDD - explosive, incendiary or poison gas destructive device

STATEMG SI SR SG AOWLBDD EXPDD Comments

AK Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
AL Y Y N N Y Y ?
AR Y Y Y Y Y Y ? (state registration of pistol cal. MG's over .30)
AZ Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
CA Y N Y Y Y Y Y (requires discretionary and rarely issued permit for mg, lbdd or expdd from state Dept. of
Justice; no AOW pen guns; C&R sg, sr only)
CO Y Y Y Y Y Y Y (requires state explosives permit for expdd)
CT Y Y Y Y Y Y ? (no select fire mg's-full auto's only, after 1993 assault weapon ban, state registration of
mg's)
DE N N Y N Y Y N (no smooth bore pistol AOW's)
FL Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
GA Y Y Y Y Y Y Y (no incendiary expdd's)
HI N N N N N N N
IA N Y Y Y Y Y Y (only si, sr, sg, lbdd and expdd designated as collector's items by the Comm'r of Public
Safety - they use the ATF C&R list)
ID Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
IL N N N N Y ? N
IN Y Y Y N Y Y N
KS N N Y N Y Y N DEWAT machine guns are OK.
KY Y Y Y Y Y Y ?
LA Y Y Y Y Y Y Y (mg's require a permit to purchase - war relics only; mg's, sr, si, sg and some expdd's
require a permit to purchase)
MA Y N Y N N Y N (license for mg's required; 1998 law bans covert firearms (AOW's), short shotguns)
MD Y Y Y Y Y Y N (mg's must be registered)
ME Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
MI Y N Y Y Y Y Y (FFL needed to own machine guns; no incendiary expdd; C&R sr, sg only)
MN Y N Y Y Y Y ? (C&R mg, sg only, registration required)
MO Y N Y Y Y N N (C&R mg, sr, sg only to non-FFL holders; FFL holders (including C&R) any mg, sr, sg)
MS Y Y Y Y Y Y Y (as of 7/1/00, silencers are legal, but must be registered with the state)
MT Y Y Y Y Y N N (state law banning silencers and requiring pistol cal. mg's over .30 be registered with state
repealed 4/23/99)
NE Y Y Y Y Y Y N
NC Y Y Y Y Y Y Y (sheriff's permit required for mg's; must be FFL holder (including C&R) for mg, si, sr, sg
lbdd and expdd, or fall into another exception, see comments below)
ND Y Y Y Y Y Y Y (fed. "licensees" required to register all NFA weapons with state when possessed for
"protection or sale")
NH Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
NJ Y N N N Y N N (mg requires discretionary and rarely issued permit from state court)
NM Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
NV Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
NY N N N N Y Y N (AOW smooth bore handguns are allowed, on a state pistol license)
OH Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
OK Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
OR Y Y Y Y Y Y Y (no incendiary expdd's)
PA Y Y Y Y Y Y N
RI N N N N Y Y ?
SC Y Y Y Y Y Y ? In 2001, S.C. law was changed to permit all Federally registered items
SD Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
TN Y Y Y Y Y Y ?
TX Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
UT Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
VA Y Y Y Y Y Y Y (state registration of all mg's)
VT Y N Y Y Y Y Y
WA N Y N N Y Y N (silencer may not be used on a gun)
WI Y Y Y Y Y Y Y (permit required for expdd, no incendiary expdd's; no pistol caliber mg's w/o permit)
WV Y Y Y Y Y Y ?
WY Y Y Y Y Y Y ?
------------------------------------------------------------

cbsbyte
March 5, 2007, 01:47 PM
MA allows other NFA stuff but not supressors or "covert weapons"

You didn't read the NFA list did you. Mass does not allow silceners, short barrel shotguns, destructive devices, and smooth bore pistols. More than half the NFA list is banned in Mass.

carnaby
March 5, 2007, 03:03 PM
WA (Suppressor may not be used on a gun). Just about the most stupid reg anywhere.

I was talking to a guy who will remain anonymous who informed me that he shoots with a suppressor all the time. The offense is only a misdemeanor, and rarely enforced. It was supposedly enacted that way to prevent poaching, but I can't imagine how exactly this law would prevent it.

I wish there was some way to have it repealed.

ChestyP
March 5, 2007, 09:07 PM
Violation of RCW 9.41.250 is a GROSS MISDEMEANOR -- that's a year in jail and a $5,0000 fine, theoretically one count for each round that goes through the suppressor.

Interesting that there is no exception for law enforcement, although I know of several agencies who possess suppressed firearms and use them regularly on the range.

Dumb law. How do you get it repealed? By electing a pro-gun legislature and governor. I think repealing the suppressor-use prohibition is about number 16 or 17 on my to-do list (of 30+ items), when the people of this state elect a compliant legislature. All it woulkd take is adding the phrase "unless lawfully possessed in accordance with federal and state law" just before the comma in sub (3).

We tried to do this two years ago, a (pro-gun) Democrat Senator ran the bill. It never even goit a hearing.

44Brent
March 5, 2007, 09:17 PM
Joe, can you publish your "to do" list somewhere?

44Brent
March 5, 2007, 09:19 PM
The correct terminology is not "silencers" or "suppressor". It is MUFFLER, as in "I use a MUFFLER to reduce noise pollution while shooting.".

This is an issue that should be of interest to environmental groups. If no such environmental group exists, then one can be created to issue press releases to demand a resolution to the noise pollution problem.

This is also a medical issue that should be of interest to physicians. How much money is wasted in the state on hearing aids and payments to audiologist to treat damage caused by noise pollution? If no group of physicians is challenging the ban on mufflers, then one can be created to address this problem.

I'll bet Jeanne Kohl-Wells would love to be on the receiving end of public complaints from environmentalists and physicians. How about this as a headline for a press release: Physicians Blast Senator Kohl-Wells for Failure to Halt Gun Noise Pollution. Her fellow surviving Senators would figure things out and get the message

All it takes is a couple of people to get this train rolling and she'll be singing the blues.

Cesiumsponge
March 5, 2007, 10:20 PM
What the heck is up with my state, Washington?

WA N Y N N Y Y N (silencer may not be used on a gun)

I can buy it, but I can't use it on a gun? What am I supposed to use it on, the neighbor's annoying honda fart can?

wdlsguy
March 5, 2007, 11:47 PM
I can buy it, but I can't use it on a gun? What am I supposed to use it on, the neighbor's annoying honda fart can?
I guess you're supposed to use it in Oregon / Idaho / etc.

ChestyP
March 6, 2007, 01:52 AM
Many CLEOs won't sign off on a Form 4 for a suppressor because you can't legally use it in the state! Despite the fact that they're perfectly legal here.

Be careful, Brent. Our beloved Senator Kline was on the news tonight, 'splainin' why he told a bunch of ORV enthusiasts to buzz off -- silently. He doesn't like the noise ORVs make. Funny, he thinks ORVs are too noisy, but won't move the bill he blocked two years ago making gun noise quieter.

Kline will probably lead the fight to silence both ORVs AND gun ranges.

We've passed range protection legislation TWICE (in 1994 and again around 1998), both bills vetoed by the governor (Lowry and Locke). A third range protection bill just died in House Judiciary (doesn't matter, it was an anti-gun Democrat cover bill anyway -- they knew it wouldn't move).

wdlsguy
March 6, 2007, 12:06 PM
Many CLEOs won't sign off on a Form 4 for a suppressor because you can't legally use it in the state!
The standard workaround for that situation is to form a living trust (http://nolo.com/article.cfm/ObjectID/02B5FD86-BB5F-4F9C-88C5ED4A0D7F64BC/catID/9F594B71-B41B-4513-923BF19B4D9ACDAA/309/227/FAQ), LLC or corporation. Trusts / LLCs / corporations don't need a CLEO signature.

If you enjoyed reading about "How many states allow supressors?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!