Glock Recomendations

PDA

andrewdl007
March 4, 2007, 09:46 PM
Hey,
Generally, I collect old military weapons from WWI and WWII. I used to do IDPA shoots with my neighbor and for that I would use a medium frame .40 S&W Glock. I have since moved across country and I now am going to buy a pistol to use in competition. What pistol would you recomend that I get for competing?

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock Recomendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
March 4, 2007, 09:58 PM
Why not stick w/ the Glock? Did you have problems? Me, I like my G19 but a 34 would work too ;) What kind of competing are you planning?

andrewdl007
March 4, 2007, 10:03 PM
Im sorry, It was my neighbor's gun so I have to get a new one. I really liked the one I used but I wanted to see if anyone had any recomendations that I would not have thought of since I only used a Glock 23 or 26. The competion that I am planning to do is mostly defensive pistol with quick drawing etc.

TheWanderer
March 4, 2007, 10:34 PM
I've owned dozens of different makes in 9, 40 and 45. I like Glocks better than all the rest, I'm sticking with Glock from now on.

CPS1
March 4, 2007, 11:58 PM
I love the 9mm glocks. Reliable, quick trigger reset, and much more accurate than people think. My personal favorite is the 17.

g5reality
March 5, 2007, 12:02 AM
+1 for G19

Nomad, 2nd
March 5, 2007, 12:19 AM
9mm 's cheaper.

I don't like Glocks.
But I have 2 Glock 19's.

jlh26oo
March 5, 2007, 12:32 AM
Me, I like my G19 but a 34 would work too What kind of competing are you planning?

+1

19, 17, 34 can't go wrong. If it's a dedicated games gun or 34. If you're going to carry it, 19. Or split the difference and go 17. I have a 34, it's great.

andrewdl007
March 5, 2007, 01:00 AM
The only gun I ever competed with is a glock, so that automatically is what I planned to get. Do you think there is any other gun that would be better than the glock?

Ken Rainey
March 5, 2007, 01:04 AM
If you used the G23 and it fit your hand, then I'd go with a G19 (9mm) - same frame size, cheaper ammo - it doesn't fit my hand as well as the full size G17 due to the location of the hump in the backstrap but if it fits you then go for it. You could get a G26 for concealed carry if you went with the G17, if necessary, or, the G19 could probably fill both rolls but I prefer a dedicated pistol for each....THAT'S IT, get two 19s or 17s or 26s, one for IDPA and one for carry!...can't beat carrying what you train with! But then again, with all the 9mm Glocks having basically the same grip, you can't go wrong with the different size frames either...another good thing about Glocks!

jlh26oo
March 5, 2007, 01:19 AM
The only gun I ever competed with is a glock, so that automatically is what I planned to get. Do you think there is any other gun that would be better than the glock?

Not imo, but depends on what you mean by "better". Sigs and H&K's for example are of superior quality in terms of smoother construction and fit and finish, but for me, it just boils down to what configuration preference.

Did you like the GLOCK trigger? Some find it spongey or mushy, and prefer either single action or traditional double action. Others would rather have a consistent trigger without any manual external safeties (I like the "point and click" operation myself).

Where GLOCK cannot be beat is weight & size to capacity ratio. They are the smallest, lightest, highest capacity packages available, extremely tough finish, and my favorite: the most simple design, fewest parts, and easiest to take down, clean and maintain.

If you already know you like the glock you used, you could do much worse imo. But doesn't hurt to try other configurations and brands first. You might find something you like alot better. XD's are similar to GLOCK, little different shape and trigger, with a grip safety, and now using the same finish as GLOCK.

Take your time and experiment.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock Recomendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!