Help choosing first gun

PDA

fastford
March 4, 2007, 10:17 PM
I'm about to turn 21 in a few weeks and Im gonna go get my concealed license, and of course a gun. This probably sounds weird to most of you, but I have shot an M16 before, but I've never had or shot a hand gun before (except for like air pistols and BB guns). Its gonna be for protection, not hunting, so I don't need anything extremely huge, just enough to drop someone if i have to. Of course I want something reliable, and also not too bulky, since Ill be carrying it with me. Can anyone throw me some suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Help choosing first gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
waynedm
March 4, 2007, 10:19 PM
Go to a range with a lot of rentals. Yeah.

tnieto2004
March 4, 2007, 10:21 PM
I would look at the CZ75 9mm .. They are really nice .. alot of people around here will agree..

ugaarguy
March 4, 2007, 10:25 PM
Take the NRA Basic Pistol Course. The instructor should bring a variety of guns so you'll get to try several different types and see what you like in general. Once you get a general idea of what you'd like we can help point you toward more specific ideas. Call your local shops and ranges for course info & availability.

10-Ring
March 4, 2007, 10:59 PM
There are ALOT of good choices out there. The best thing to do, as mentioned, is rent & shoot as many as possible & get the one that works best in your hands & fits your budget! ;) Me, I'd recommend the usual suspects....Glock 19, Beretta 92fs or varient, HK USP/USPc, SIG...whatever works ;)

pax
March 4, 2007, 11:06 PM
For a defense weapon, it needs to be at least a .380 ACP, preferably a larger caliber than that.

Whatever you get, make sure it fits your hand: http://www.corneredcat.com/FirstGun/TryOnGun.htm

pax

Chem Geek
March 5, 2007, 12:44 AM
Take the NRA Basic Pistol Course. The instructor should bring a variety of guns so you'll get to try several different types and see what you like in general. Once you get a general idea of what you'd like we can help point you toward more specific ideas. Call your local shops and ranges for course info & availability.

Best advice EVER. I did this last weekend and here's the list my instructor brought out:

Taurus Model 94 4" .22LR
Ruger Mark II .22LR
Springfield XD-40 .40
Springfield XD-9 Subcompact 9mm
Ruger GP100 .357
Glock G17 9mm
Glock G26 9mm
Auto Ordnance 1911 .45
SiG P226 Navy 9mm

Also my fiance fired several more revolvers that I ignored as I played with the autos. Fired probably 300 rounds total between them all. And I learned several important things, I suck with sub compacts cause my hands are big, and I love Sigs. :) All for $100 for both of us. Best $100 I've spent in a long long time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help choosing first gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!