Can Lugers be carried "cocked and locked"?

PDA

Retro
March 4, 2007, 10:23 PM
I finished rust bluing my luger. Just curious as to whether or not it is safe to carry the luger "cocked" and locked in the holster? I don't know exactly know how the luger trigger works even though I have disassembled and reassembled with that small plate.

Can I keep a round in the chamber, and safety the trigger, and carry the piece in the holster? Is that a safe practice? I know you cannot cock and lock a Tokarev.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can Lugers be carried "cocked and locked"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
March 5, 2007, 12:27 AM
The safety blocks the sear so that it can't (in theory) move. If I was going to carry one with the chamber loaded I'd have a gunsmith check to be sure everything was in good working order.

jonnyc
March 5, 2007, 06:04 AM
The Luger thumb-safety ain't exactly C&L friendly.

Old Fuff
March 5, 2007, 10:36 AM
The Luger thumb-safety ain't exactly C&L friendly.

Considering that the pistol was usually carried in a full-flap holster with the flap secured with a strap and buckle (not a snap) the designer obviously wasn't concerned with a fast draw. Two-handed holds weren't used either.

The question here was, "can the pistol be carried safely cocked & locked? The answer is yes, if the pistol's striker/firing pin, sear, and safety are correctly fitted. Some versions even had a grip safety in addition to the manual one.

Jim Watson
March 5, 2007, 05:23 PM
I've seen a couple of guys use Lugers in IDPA matches the last few months, working from cocked and locked. Most Lugers have such heavy mushy trigger pulls, I figure you are about as safe as with a Glock.

They are kind of slow on the draw, the safety is best operated with the left hand, but they can do good work once they are up and running*. The reload is even slower, it takes a good yank on the toggle at a funny angle to close the breechblock on a fresh magazine. I would not want to carry one Condition 3 and have to fight off a USGI even if his 1911 was in the same condition.

*Lugers need good ammunition. This does not mean HOT ammunition, the action was designed for the 7.65 with a 96 grain bullet at 1250 fps and modified for 9mm with a 123 at 1040 or 1090. It seems mostly to mean LONG ammunition, roundnose seated as long as the slanted magazine will accept.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can Lugers be carried "cocked and locked"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!