The only safer sport is chess.

PDA

Oleg Volk
March 5, 2007, 01:20 AM
http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/18689-2/marksmanship0962.jpg

Duh! Just realized he has no eye protection. Will re-make with another image if this concept is otherwise sound.

If you enjoyed reading about "The only safer sport is chess." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
thexrayboy
March 5, 2007, 01:24 AM
Sounds good, looks good. I like it.

Christianninja
March 5, 2007, 01:35 AM
Yep, that's very cool, and a revealing fact. I'll have to remember that...

AlaskaErik
March 5, 2007, 01:44 AM
Duh! Just realized he has no eye protection. Will re-make with another image if this concept is otherwise sound.

I wouldn't sweat it. Of course, this from someone who refuses to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle.

skeeter1
March 5, 2007, 01:54 AM
Will re-make with another image if this concept is otherwise sound.

Yeah, it's a great post there, but better if he were shown wearing eye and hearing protection.

Hoppy590
March 5, 2007, 02:02 AM
eye protection would be nice. but i wouldnt stress hearing protection sincethe ears arnt in the picture. great work yet again oleg

Arkie
March 5, 2007, 02:18 AM
Very nice work Oleg.

I always enjoy the photos you take. They are true to art and right to the point.

Keep up the good work!!!

skinnyguy
March 5, 2007, 02:27 AM
Great concept Oleg!! Eye protection would be a great addition, and I love the message.

The eye protection made me think of something else that would make a good safety comparison. I don't know where to look for the statistics, but maybe someone here could help out.

How many injuries happen in high school wood-, metal-, and/or auto-shops? I'm sure the numbers of firearm injuries to high school age kids is much less than the numbers of the shop classes.

ArfinGreebly
March 5, 2007, 02:40 AM
Good format, good message.

Nice rifle, too.

Chess?

I put my eye out playing chess! That's why I took up shooting.

Patriot-Brewer
March 5, 2007, 03:21 AM
Oleg, it's one of your best. Simple-Clean-Common-Friendly-Factual

I'm not sure if the sentence structure is perfect.

What about "The safest sport, with an injury rate less than .005%
of bicycling or football".

I don't know, any English teachers here? It's very good nontheless. I can see it up on boards or in magazines easily.

Good job!

PB

ETA: yeah, needs a pair of glasses.

NukemJim
March 5, 2007, 07:52 AM
Oleg, Great poster. Yes please redo with glasses and could you give a source for your data please? I plan to send it to my anti brother who is avid cycler and keeps wanting to get rid of guns because of "safety".

NukemJim

Rumble
March 5, 2007, 08:37 AM
You know, "the only safer sport is chess" is a great line in and of itself.

Since one of the most powerful urge in the world is to edit someone else's writing, what about something to the effect of:

(top of the picture): "Marksmanship has an injury rate less than 0.005% of football or bicycling.

(bottom of the picture) "The only safer sport is chess."

RTFM
March 5, 2007, 08:44 AM
Oleg
Duh! Just realized he has no eye protection...

That's because he is the .005%. :neener:

Oleg Volk
March 5, 2007, 09:54 AM
No hearing protection because the rifle was suppressed and used with subsonics. But that's not obvious. Will use a photo with eye protection.

Stats from http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/summit/4H/kids_and_guns%5B1%5D.ppt

K3
March 5, 2007, 10:17 AM
Excellent work.

Deanimator
March 5, 2007, 10:26 AM
I've known more people who've suffered serious injuries playing flag football than I have who've gotten minor injuries shooting.

Flyboy
March 5, 2007, 10:38 AM
Grammar nitpick:

I'd phrase it as

Marksmanship:
the safest sport

Separate the injury rate visually, so the tagline stands out, and definitely add the chess line at the bottom of the image--that's a great stick-in-your-mind phrase.

Justin
March 5, 2007, 10:41 AM
This is a good enough concept to be an entire series.

I have to wonder what the injury rates for all shooting sports combined vs. high school football would look like...

DragonFire
March 5, 2007, 10:53 AM
What do you think of widening the shot just a little and show a paper target?

I'm thinking that you'd want to reinfoce the idea that the shooter is shooting at a target and not hunting. While I think it's sort of obvious to shooters, it might not be for alot of non-shooters.

frez
March 5, 2007, 10:55 AM
It is proven that playing Chess builds violent behavior in you.

Hemicuda
March 5, 2007, 11:02 AM
But aren't you forgetting "Garand Thumb"? a VERY serious condition suffered by many in our sport!

strat81
March 5, 2007, 11:06 AM
I remember reading that paintball is also very safe compared to traditional stick-and-ball sports. Oh the irony... guns are safe when used responsibly!!!

SuperNaut
March 5, 2007, 11:09 AM
The phrase "The only safer sport is chess" really caught my attention. I was surprised that is wasn't in the actual poster.

Shear_stress
March 5, 2007, 11:37 AM
Not so sure about chess being that safe a sport. A buddy and I had the police called on us during a recent chess game*. The neighbor must have felt pretty threatened.;)

Seriously, though, nice work on the poster!

*True story. The cop was more than a little pissed about his time being wasted.

Feanaro
March 5, 2007, 11:53 AM
I agree with Supernaut, that phrase needs to make it into a poster.

PaladinX13
March 5, 2007, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure "rate" is the right statistical word, since the original statistic was dealing with an absolute level of incidents per year which is probably, in part, a reflection of the amount of participants. While we have 30 million youth participating in sports annually, we don't have the proportions in which they participate in given sports. It might be argued that the incident of injury is so low because of the relative lack of participation... are we saying we expect the level of injury incidents to remain at the same rate if participation was as high as those other, more popular sports?

What numbers did you use to get the .005% figure? Also, I'm sure the follow-up question would be what degree of injury... slide bite, scope eye, or something worse?

Anyways, if we take that figure ".005%" (or .00005) and multiply it by 4-H's annual enrollment (300,000) we get 15 injuries. Or against their 3 million reached figure, that's 150 injuries. But that doesn't jive with their "one documented injury" in 25 years, which would be a "rate" of 0.0000002 (injury per 5 million members over 25 years... or 0.000000008 annually).

Just need to be clear where the stat is coming from and what it means before I start using it or throwing it around in conversation.

Lupinus
March 5, 2007, 12:15 PM
I like it

XD Fan
March 5, 2007, 12:43 PM
I'm not sure if the sentence structure is perfect.

What about "The safest sport, with an injury rate less than .005%
of bicycling or football".

I don't know, any English teachers here? It's very good nontheless. I can see it up on boards or in magazines easily.

One possible way to creat complete sentences here would be an em dash.

The safest sport—it has an injury rate that is less than .005% of bicycling or football.

the naked prophet
March 5, 2007, 02:09 PM
It would sound better to say "shooting is XX times safer than football"

Caimlas
March 5, 2007, 04:41 PM
"Rate" is the wrong word as applied to a percentile, I believe.

I'd say:

Marksmanship
The only safer sport is chess.

Shooting sports incur less than 0.005% as many injuries as any one of football, baseball, basketball, soccer, or bicycling per year.

I'd probably:
- Look more into the precise nature of the statistic.
- Might consider only mentioning one sport - something like baseball, which despite reality is thought to be 'safe' (football and soccer are not).
- Consider stating the fact that it's referring to youth sports, as youth are thought to be more careless (for one reason) than adults
- Consider a similar photo of a boy and/or girl shooting to compliment the byline - the current image doesn't fit the statistic.
- ... not state it as a "5000 times as safe" - it sounds like hyperbole, as the number is almost unbelievable.
Anyway, sorry to nitpick.I like this theme and just want to see it succeed.

Oleg Volk
March 5, 2007, 04:48 PM
I need to use a photo of a juvenile with eye and ear protection. I didn't mention the youth aspect in the copy because the photo subject is 36. I'll find another use for the current image.

geekWithA.45
March 5, 2007, 05:21 PM
Allthough not as recognizable as chess, go, my game of choice, is extremely photogenic:

http://www.ymimports.com/Go/

Unfortunately, there is a longstanding history of samurai beating the snot out of people with the goban when their swords aren't handy, and so perhaps the safety claim of chess is stronger.

http://www.pandanet.co.jp/English/art/tada900.html

Anyway, chess is for wussies.

The Deer Hunter
March 5, 2007, 05:23 PM
But those evil black bishops....

VARifleman
March 5, 2007, 05:39 PM
Oleg, I wouldn't worry about the eye protection as long as the gun you use is a .22LR single shot target rifle, or a target air rifle. At least I know I don't for those of mine. Bad me...*shrugs* I do for anything else though, but always have ear protection on.

FXR
March 5, 2007, 07:18 PM
This concept is great stuff, Oleg. I agree with your fixes of using a juvenile with eye/ear protection. Maybe future versions could superimpose a "minuteman" silouette in the background for not-so-subtle hints?

jeffkirchner
March 5, 2007, 07:18 PM
The only safer sport is chess

There was a guy I used to play chess with, about 20 years ago. It wasn't safe, when all the pieces started flying around the room, towards the end of the game. :mad:

If you enjoyed reading about "The only safer sport is chess." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!