The Unit - Dark Side of Moon episode - Wife like 50BMG

PDA

thegriz
March 5, 2007, 11:34 AM
Did anybody catch this episode of The Unit? My wife watched it with me. When they engaged the bad guys long range with a 50 Cal rifles my wife really took notice. She asked if that was even possible. Then she asked if I had one of those. (nope) Then she asked if I wanted one. (yep) Then she said it seemed like that was a good rifle to have.

I just smiled and held it all in. She doesn't mind watching that kind of stuff as long a I don't interrupt with gun commentary or comment on errors the actors make.

(Note to self: update firearm wishlist - push Barrett rifle to top)

If you enjoyed reading about "The Unit - Dark Side of Moon episode - Wife like 50BMG" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ricci316
March 5, 2007, 11:38 AM
The Unit is one of my favorite shows on television. That episode aired last Tuesday night and it was in my opinion the best episode of the series thus far. The sniper portion was the best. I have GOT to get me one of those.

cookie4u1
March 5, 2007, 11:46 AM
Griz, I think you have a "keeper" there.:)

JohnL2
March 5, 2007, 11:52 AM
Does your wife have a sister?

thegriz
March 5, 2007, 11:58 AM
Griz, I think you have a "keeper" there.

Amen to that.

Does your wife have a sister?

Too late. She's married. She doesn't allow firearms, either.

Working Man
March 5, 2007, 12:03 PM
I.... I don't know what to say. Thats the most beautiful thing I have ever heard. :'(

... darn, crying smiley does not work.

JohnL2
March 5, 2007, 12:06 PM
Damn thegriz, you have like the bestest wife in the world.
Gosh darn it.

El Tejon
March 5, 2007, 12:12 PM
Wait, does she know how much a .50usmg is to purchase and feed?:uhoh: :eek: :D

Shanghai McCoy
March 5, 2007, 12:37 PM
I caught that episode the other night.Was wondering about the FTF or "misfire" the other shooter had while engaging the 50 MG ?

Working Man
March 5, 2007, 12:54 PM
Wait, does she know how much a .50usmg is to purchase and feed?

Shhhhhh! Don't ask don't tell. :evil:

Tommygunn
March 5, 2007, 01:33 PM
The ftf was handled ... strangely. I didn't get it. "Misfire." Looked to me like the gun jammed.
It was a pretty enjoyable episode.
BUT I have to wonder why the didn't have night vision goggles. The U.S. Army "owns the night."
What they did was like out of a WW2 movie, that way....:rolleyes:

frez
March 5, 2007, 01:39 PM
How realistic is Unit in terms of verisimilitude?

wooderson
March 5, 2007, 02:22 PM
Depends on your feelings about the potential psychic powers of women married to Special Forces members.

ricci316
March 5, 2007, 02:28 PM
Depends on your feelings about the potential psychic powers of women married to Special Forces members.

That one was a little, no, a lot stupid. Otherwise the show as a whole is pretty solid.

El Tejon
March 5, 2007, 02:59 PM
Everyone knows that women possess scary Jediesque mind reading powers. Somehow they can always tell when I'm lying.:D

Coronach
March 5, 2007, 03:04 PM
How realistic is Unit in terms of verisimilitude?I'm no HS/LD type, but my off the cuff opinion is "not very".

Mike

kbellis3
March 5, 2007, 04:19 PM
I am not in the service, but remember the show concept is based on a guy from Delta from back in the late 1970's till the late 1980's, he finished his career in the infantry in 1990(?). His experience from a regular infantry unit from the early 1990's when most Army and Marine infantry units had not yet been issued NVD's unit wide.

Plus NVD might not have looked as cool or was too expensive to film an EP with lots of NVD shots.

I had a problem with the episode based on the construct of the "support base", not enough wire, too many blind area created by the shipping containers, no heavy MG, only avaible mortars being rifle mounted M-203's (***). :barf: I missed the first 10-20 minutes of the show, but really how many guys in the military have seen half-assed bases like this anywhere in Iraq or Afghanistan?

Like I said above, not in the service, but to me it look like the post you send people you don't like to die.

Maybe it was meant to be more compelling tv EP. But to me it looked like a semi-recycled episode of Tour of Duty from the 1980's.

K-3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Haney

SoCalShooter
March 5, 2007, 04:24 PM
The Unit is awesome, and holy crap you just got the green light to get a FIFTY DO IT DO IT. Just make sure you get the wife something nice :)

P.S. Does your wife have a sister or a cousin that thinks the same way?

jerkyman45
March 5, 2007, 04:54 PM
My mom was also intrigued by the .50 Cals, she started asking about the effective range, power, accuracy, etc.

akodo
March 5, 2007, 05:04 PM
I am ignorant here but in sniper/spotter teamwork, isn't the command to fire going to be given a second or two before the rifleman shoots? as he pauses in breath, and squeezes that trigger for the suprise break?

also, does the military really use the underslung grenadelaunchers mortar style? is there a sighting system that can be used, or even a 'rule of thumb' like 45degree = X yards, 60degree = Y yards 90degrees = on top of you! figure out the rest from there

zenner22
March 5, 2007, 05:36 PM
This is one of the few epsiodes I've seen. It didn't make sense that when one of the snipers had a jam or misfire he just kind of shrugged like, "Oh well, it's broken." Seems like he'd have been scrambling to fix it.

JohnL2
March 5, 2007, 05:40 PM
It's just a t.v. show guys. At least they made an effort.
I'm just thankful they didn't have slow-mo explosions with guys flying in the air with more hang time than an Olympic springboard diver.

feedthehogs
March 5, 2007, 05:50 PM
She doesn't allow firearms, either

Doesn't allow, dosen't allow?

With all due respect, you have a serious relationship problem there.

Marriage is a compromise.

She lets you have guns and you won't get rid of her.

wooderson
March 5, 2007, 06:36 PM
The team had already killed everyone at the machine gun, the final shots were just to destroy the ammo.

I tried to find this once before, but is there a term for (primarily Navy/Marine if movies are to be believed) repeating commands three times (ie "dive dive dive" or "fire fire fire," etc.)?

pcruz
March 5, 2007, 07:20 PM
Were those .50 caliber hits to the insurgents realistic? The .50 cal hits in Miami Vice blew off limbs.

Which one is the more likely result; tipping over (a laThe Unit) or limbs being blown off (a la Miami Vice)?

thegriz
March 5, 2007, 07:47 PM
Doesn't allow, dosen't allow?

With all due respect, you have a serious relationship problem there.

Marriage is a compromise.

She lets you have guns and you won't get rid of her.

Relax there Feedthehogs. I married the one who puts up with the guns! My sister-in-law doesn't allow them for her hubby. Yep, he's whipped. My beautiful bride is a whole different story.

My wife resisted firearms, even resented them at first. Now she appreciates them. :D

Stevie-Ray
March 5, 2007, 07:58 PM
Which one is the more likely result; tipping over (a laThe Unit) or limbs being blown off (a la Miami Vice)?Body parts is the more likely result. They generally can't show that on a network TV show. I've seen actual footage of 50 cal hits. Body parts can and do fly.

wooderson
March 5, 2007, 08:20 PM
Sure you didn't see the "Afghanistan sniper" footage that's actually some rednecks huntin' prairie dogs with a Barrett?

Stevie-Ray
March 5, 2007, 08:41 PM
Nope

SASS#23149
March 5, 2007, 11:07 PM
:You have a GREAT wife!!!

sadly,mine knows how much a Barret (sp) costs.:confused:

7ranquilcitizen
March 5, 2007, 11:09 PM
Good episode action wise in a long time. The shootout reminded me of "when we were soldiers" though. I too raised a eyebrow when they were firing the sniper rifles. Thought it funny that they were firing at the same time at the same, wouldn't that make it harder for them to figure out who was off how much if they were shooting at the same target. Anywhos can't really complain as the last war tv series was "over there" and that was a mixed bag.

mrkubota
March 5, 2007, 11:21 PM
Only thing is... those looked like .408 cheytac rifles, not the .50 Windrunners.

CheyTac
http://www.cheytac.com/AM200-Heavy-Set-up.gif

Windrunner
http://www.edmarms.com/images/pictures/WndRnrF2.jpg

PvtPyle
March 5, 2007, 11:29 PM
The unit, sucks. It is a POS for a show and is nearly universally loathed bypeople in the SOF community. It is like a brain surgeon watching "Scrubs" for realism (I on the other hand LOVE scrubs!) I do not know a single person in the entire Group that watches it. My wife tried to get me to watch it but she is a very wise woman. When I started grabbing things to throw at the TV, she turned it off.

Skibane
March 6, 2007, 02:48 AM
Well then, I guess it's a good thing that it isn't made for "people in the SOF community".

Meanwhile, the rest of us mere mortals find it to be highly entertaining...:D

loki.fish
March 6, 2007, 05:37 AM
I just watched it on the CBS site. Seems it's the only full episode there. Made me want to go shoot my new Barrett :( Stupid night time....stupid night shift job. Oh well, soon, soon.

I think Mr.Kubota is right, they look more like the Cheytac rifle than a Windrunner. But they both look so similar it's hard for me to tell.

That whole misfire thing had me stumped as well. The only thing I can think of is he had a major malfunction that caused the bolt to seize and he couldn't open it. Otherwise he should have been fine. How the bolt would have seized.....I haven't a clue. I'm pretty new to the whole rifle area.

wooderson
March 6, 2007, 01:06 PM
The Unit is a cartoon, like all television. Even my beloved Wire ain't exactly swimming in verisimilitude.

LostCajun
March 6, 2007, 02:25 PM
Overall, I enjoy watching the show, but don't actually believe much of it.
Regarding THIS episode, was that voice in the back of anybody else's head screaming "Zulu!" the longer it went on? About all they left out was the singing.
LC

50 Freak
March 6, 2007, 02:34 PM
I was thinking Zulu all through the episode.:D

And those were Cheytac rifles. Not windrunners. Check out the handheld ballistics calculator and the cut of the barrels. Definitey Cheytac.

Joe Gunns
March 6, 2007, 03:08 PM
Reminded me of ZULU, too.

What I appreciate about the show is that it generally shows people doing what they need to do despite physical discomfort and personal hangups.

jason10mm
March 6, 2007, 03:29 PM
Heh heh, ya'll will hate me, but I took my wife to shoot a friends M99 .50BMG this past weeked. She not only shot it once, but asked (and received) seconds! Then she said we ought to make one our anniversary gift to each other next year!

I guess it is not that surprising to me, since her favorite handgun is the S&W500, closely followed by the H&K USP45 Tactical.

Yes, she does have a sister, but since she lives in Kali, no luck getting a 50 out of the deal :P

kbellis3
March 6, 2007, 05:34 PM
If the show is filmed in CA the prop company may not have had any actual .50 CAL pattern "sniper" rifles in stock, due to to the state of CA banning and registering pre-ban .50 CALs in CAlifornia. Or all the .50 rifles were already rented out from the prop house.

It is also entirely possible that whoever make the decision about such things decided that the CheyTac just looked COOLER.

Only the gun nuts here or at the FIFTY CALIBER SHOOTERS ASSOCIATION would know the difference.

K-3

PS The more I know about firearms, tactics, H2H, or CQB, the less I can watch movies, tv, or read books with any ability to enjoy the content.

SoCalShooter
March 6, 2007, 05:48 PM
Did anyone else notice that they had the box magazines but were single loading the weapon?

carnaby
March 6, 2007, 05:57 PM
I've been wondering about that episode myself. I've never been in any kind of combat, so I have no idea, but it did seem like the US Army and Unit guys should have had better success with their M4/M16's against the enemy when they were in the 100 yd range and just slowly crouching. They looked like awfully good targets, but they weren't being hit hardly at all by the American barrage of 5.56.

What give? Is that accurate, so to speak? Or in "real life" would they have got plastered?

loki.fish
March 7, 2007, 03:39 AM
Did anyone else notice that they had the box magazines but were single loading the weapon?

Yeah, I noticed that too. Made as much since as the "misfire" that disabled the other rifle.

carnaby
May 10, 2007, 10:01 PM
Anyone watch the season finale? Dang, they've totally sucked me in. It's cool that they changed the story to something new from the ordinary one mission to the next.

TimboKhan
May 11, 2007, 03:56 AM
My (non-desk/gunshop/mallninja commando)buddy likes the show and gave me a long list of reasons why he watches it. Needless to say, I am at least interested in checking it out.

also, does the military really use the underslung grenadelaunchers mortar style? is there a sighting system that can be used, or even a 'rule of thumb' like 45degree = X yards, 60degree = Y yards 90degrees = on top of you! figure out the rest from there

Now, having not seen the show, I guess I don't know exactly what you mean by mortar style, but I am assuming you mean that they put the butt of the rifle on the ground and start firing off rounds. I would say that is possible but unlikely, in addition to the fact that I am not entirely sure how one could do that safely. There is a sighting system for the M203 on the gun, but it is meant to be used from the shoulder. As far as I know, there is no possible way to use the sight on the rifle as a mortar sight. That being said, I think with some practice, you could become reasonably accurate with the thing even without the sights, as it doesn't have a particularly long range. I was an 0331, not an 0311, so those guys could tell you about the weapon far better than I can, but I am guessing around 300 yards is about it.

Dain Bramage
May 11, 2007, 10:55 AM
Which one is the more likely result; tipping over (a laThe Unit) or limbs being blown off (a la Miami Vice)?

Don't forget, they were shooting at 2,000 meters. At that range, the .50 BMG merely sucks the life-force out of the target in Lord of the Rings wraith-style.

It's only under 1,000 meters that the .50 discombobulates bodies like a shrike tearing into an insect.

Under 500 meters, it induces a momentary mini black hole that disintegrates the target like a Star Trek ('66 to '69 only) phaser.

buzz_knox
May 11, 2007, 11:12 AM
I'm no HS/LD type, but my off the cuff opinion is "not very".

The HS/LD guys barely give it that much. Then again, that may be due to Haney's involvement. He's not exactly beloved among the members of the unit he claims to have been a plank owner of.

PvtPyle
May 11, 2007, 12:17 PM
so those guys could tell you about the weapon far better than I can, but I am guessing around 300 yards is about it.

Small targets can be hit at 300, but I regularly hit vehicles out to 425 or so with the 40mm we have.

DoubleTapDrew
May 11, 2007, 12:39 PM
The HS/LD guys barely give it that much. Then again, that may be due to Haney's involvement. He's not exactly beloved among the members of the unit he claims to have been a plank owner of.

I have heard that also. I read his book and it was entertaining and some of the episodes of the show were obviously based on stories from his book.
I like the show and just think of it as entertainment, not documentary. I think that (compared to most shows) it has some of the more realistic gunplay and tactics. You don't see them running into a group of *insert bad guy ethnicity of choice* firing FA from the hip with bottomless magazines vaporizing people with 5.56 rounds. Hopefully more shows and movies will follow suit but I'm not holding my breath. Hollywood likes explosions and CGI.

peteinct
May 11, 2007, 12:59 PM
Hi everyone, I think we should give The Unit and other TV shows a break. If I wanted to watch reality I would turn off the TV and open my eyes.
pete

TimboKhan
May 11, 2007, 03:16 PM
Small targets can be hit at 300, but I regularly hit vehicles out to 425 or so with the 40mm we have.

Well, there you have it. I guess I was sort of right, but even 425 isn't a particularly long range, especially when compared to that of an actual mortar. I mean, 425 is nothing to sneeze at, but it's not so far as to require any sort of specialized firing method. I am sort of talking out my backside here because my experience with the 203 was firing a couple of familiarization rounds through it. Personally, I can definitely see the value in the weapon, but I still think that the old M79 grenade launcher that we used in Vietnam still have some very valid uses. The 203 is nice for the patrolling squad, but I think the dedicated grenade launcher (along with the now-banned buckshot and flechette shells)is better suited for things like defense and checkpoints.

DoubleTapDrew
May 11, 2007, 05:04 PM
Just a random thought...
IIRC in that episode they were firing those 203's at the hordes of badguy attackers that were pretty close. How far out does a 40mm round have to get to arm? Maybe they were worried about it not going off if they fired it in the traditional method instead of sending it up then down.

gunnie
May 11, 2007, 06:11 PM
to me the rifle resembled a patriot arms:

http://www.patriotarmsinc.com

the bolt and bolt handle looked like a nesika bay round action:

www.nesika.com

the bbl resembled a rock creek 5R:

www.rockcreekbarrels.com

couldn't guess at caliber with no known sized object on screen to gauge against. they'll make anything, in any caliber/action your heart desires.

{and your bank account can cover}

gunnie

long distance...the next best thing to being there.

JonP
May 11, 2007, 06:29 PM

With an M203??!? Max range (not effective range) is 400 meters. Max effective range on a point target is 150 meters...

TimboKhan
May 12, 2007, 02:15 AM
well, again, I was a machinegunner and not a rifleman, but the grenades are armed after a certain number of rotations, and I think it happens pretty quick. I could probably find out if I looked, but I am tired. For some reason, the number 700 is stuck in my head (and is probably way wrong). I trained with the Mk19 automatic grenade launcher, and I have a hazy memory of the Corporal saying that it was armed darn near immediately after leaving the muzzle, but again, I don't remember for sure. In any event, in terms of distance, it's pretty short.

possum
May 12, 2007, 08:42 AM
here's the thing there are three sights that can be put on a rifle with an m203. and when used they are deadly accurate. the leaf sight which normally is on top of the top handguard, it is like a m203 ironsight, different notches for different ranges, then there is the quadrant sight which mounts on the left side of the reciever, i relly haven't messed with them that much. then there is a new sight out now that sends out a laser and tells you the distance and then you know hw much to hold over with the sight, or where to aim basically.

btw we have the m203 laser rangfinding sight but no one uses them and the last time we went to the 203 range none of us had sights, but it realy isn't that hard, even from the hip we were putting right where we wanted em!:D

possum
May 12, 2007, 09:19 AM
i would also like to comment on the wives of the "unit", though some things that are portraied are in the extremes, things done on that show are very real and do happen, just normally not to the extent that the people making th show wants you to believe. there is cheating on both sides of the house of course, wives screwing other soliders, or thier spouse's friends. money problems, abuse all those things, happen in the real army, and of course they are gonna happen in the sof community as they are under alot more stress and strain than the regular army, generally speaking.

here is the thing; a good women that isn't married to the army can become a not so good and even bad wife after living the amy life for a while, with the stresses of finacial problems, being alone, seperated from spouse for a year or more, being so far away from home and the rest of thier family, all those are big factors. i hate to say it but i have seen alot of marriages crumble since being in the army, and it is always right after a long seperation for the most part, there are problems always but you really see them when you get to the welcome home company bbq a few weeks when you get back and 1/2 of the wives are missing!

TimboKhan
May 12, 2007, 04:00 PM
well, at 29 palms, we called them WestPac widows. As soon as a battalion would rotate to Okinawa, the clubs, which were normally fairly boring, were PACKED with chicks. Good guys would stay away, bad guys would dive in and feast, so to speak.

PvtPyle
May 12, 2007, 05:44 PM
With an M203??!? Max range (not effective range) is 400 meters. Max effective range on a point target is 150 meters...

Yep. Larry has seen me do it with the M-79 and we do it regularly at Camp on the training range. At the last shoot I hit an iron maiden at 250m on the second shot. Once you get the hang of it you dont even need the sights to nail cars out at 425m.

Onmilo
May 13, 2007, 12:24 AM
I would rather carry a seperate M79 and M16A2 that an M4 with an M203 attached.
M203s mounted to anything make the weapon system unwieldy and the M79 is more precise in my most humble opinion.

Oh yeah, except for those lung destroying smoke and CS versions, I also hate hand grenades.

If you enjoyed reading about "The Unit - Dark Side of Moon episode - Wife like 50BMG" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!