Arched or Flat?

PDA

SuperNaut
March 5, 2007, 02:00 PM
I've slowly come to the realization that with 1911's, I prefer the feel of an arched mainspring housing, but I shoot better with a flat one.

Which do you prefer and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "Arched or Flat?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stinkyshoe
March 5, 2007, 02:53 PM
I prefer flat. I have often wondered if guys who like the arched are also naturally Glock people. An arch 1911 and glock point the same for me.

Nomad, 2nd
March 5, 2007, 02:58 PM
Flat, with a memory bump on the beavertail.

feels batter.

Sniper X
March 5, 2007, 02:59 PM
I use both, flat on most of my 1911's but oddly enough i have an arched checkerd one on my SA Defneder I use in 3 gun, and really like the way it feels although I don;t find any diffeence in accuracy with me between the two. I think arched looks cooler....if that means anything to anyone else but me!

Walkalong
March 5, 2007, 03:01 PM
Flat just feels better to me. Besides, it is supposed to be flat.:)

Sniper X
March 5, 2007, 03:04 PM
Werent most of the early or all the Government issued ones arched?

Technosavant
March 5, 2007, 03:08 PM
Werent most of the early or all the Government issued ones arched?

The model 1911 had a flat MSH. When they revised it to the M1911A1, it received the arched MSH.

DorGunR
March 5, 2007, 03:18 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/DorGunR/Guns/Rem_editedSmall.jpg

Majic
March 5, 2007, 03:23 PM
Arched with a long trigger. Places my finger in the right spot and gives me a more natural point with the pistol.

mljdeckard
March 5, 2007, 03:24 PM
The arched housing was added because many soldiers were hitting low. I found the same thing, so I added an arched the same time I dropped the full-length guide rod in my Kimber.

wally
March 5, 2007, 03:46 PM
I prefer the flat, but the preference is not anywhere near stong enough to make me change one or not buy one in the first place.

--wally.

10-Ring
March 5, 2007, 04:06 PM
I prefer the arched MSH because I can get a higher more secure grip ;)

ron8903
March 5, 2007, 04:15 PM
Flat MSH for me too.

SuperNaut
March 5, 2007, 04:22 PM
Too early to judge, but I'm surprised at the preference for flat. I would have sworn on a stack of pancakes that arched would be more popular.

Shipwreck
March 5, 2007, 04:32 PM
Arch that sucker!

byf43
March 5, 2007, 04:39 PM
I prefer flat. I have often wondered if guys who like the arched are also naturally Glock people. An arch 1911 and glock point the same for me.

And your point is????? :)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/byf43/GoldCupG-21.jpg

While I love the look/feel of the FMSH, the bottom of that puppy hits me in the heel of my hand and digs in, like a shovel.
So, on my Gold Cup, I put an AMSH from Pachmayr.

Arched and long trigger. Perfect for my 'ham hands'!

D-Man
March 5, 2007, 04:47 PM
My Colt came with a flat MSH, and the first few times shooting it I didn't have a problem with hammer bite (it does not have a beavertail on it).

I liked the way the arched MSH felt, so put one on. The first time at the range with it, I was bit by the hammer. Not sure if that was a one-time only thing, or if it will be repeated in the future.

byf43
March 5, 2007, 04:57 PM
My Gold Cup (above) is a 1984 model. I put the Commander hammer and beavertail GS on it, after discovering that the sear had one 'leg' chipped on it, a couple of years ago.

I put the grip safety, sear and hammer in it, and no more hammer bite!!!!

Dreamer
March 5, 2007, 05:29 PM
Arched with a long trigger. :)

Shaughn Leayme
March 5, 2007, 06:20 PM
Arched with long trigger.

Texas Colt
March 5, 2007, 06:38 PM
+1 for arched MSH and a long trigger.

HSMITH
March 5, 2007, 06:43 PM
Every one of mine has a flat mainspring housing, and a short trigger.

I don't have any problems switching between the 1911 and Glocks either.

Black Majik
March 5, 2007, 07:00 PM
Flat with long trigger for me. :)

4fingermick
March 5, 2007, 07:01 PM
Flat mainspring housing on a 1911 don't look right, sorta like wearing a pair of sneakers with a business suit, yeah they are comfortable and sensible, but the don't look right! Classic lines are not to be messed with. Sort of like taking a Jack O'Connor classic 270 Mauser or Mod 70 and changing the angles and dangles of the stock, Mick.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Handguns/MicksSeries80Colt38SuperAuto.jpg

varoadking
March 5, 2007, 07:53 PM
Flat mainspring housing on a 1911 don't look right

Yeah - this looks so wrong... :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/varoadking/YoBo.jpg

lindermant
March 5, 2007, 08:00 PM
arched MSH + short trigger works for me...

http://mysite.verizon.net/tlinderman/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/pdp_lft_1.jpg

Shaughn Leayme
March 5, 2007, 08:02 PM
varoadking,

Actually that looks Nice:D despite the flat MSH.:neener:

Black Majik
March 5, 2007, 08:17 PM
Flat mainspring housing on a 1911 don't look right

Yeah - this looks so wrong... :rolleyes:

Funny thing is, I think arched MSH look funny... :o

Stinkyshoe
March 5, 2007, 08:18 PM
And your point is?????

Well it was just a question really. Seems as though you are on of those guys that likes an unmodified glock grip with a arched mainspring on your 1911. So many guys complain about the glock grip angle, but I doubt it is the 1911 guys with arched mainspring housing.

HSMITH
Do you feel your ability to switch back and forth is because of muscle memory or because that's just how they point for you?
Thanks
Ss

Eyesac
March 5, 2007, 08:25 PM
Small hands, prefer flat...

tbtrout
March 5, 2007, 11:51 PM
The flat is a more comfortable grip for me.

obxned
March 5, 2007, 11:55 PM
Used arched on all full size 1911's, including Gold Cup and Ace. Preferred flat on L W Commander - felt I got back down on target quicker.

Probably didn't make any real difference, but I liked it that way.

mrcpu
March 6, 2007, 12:06 AM
I was confused, and voted backwards. SO subtract 1 from 1, and add it to the other.

Only problem is, I don't remember what I voted.

1911 guy
March 6, 2007, 09:49 AM
The shape of my hand allows a firmer depression of the grips safety with a flat MSH. The pistol also points better for me and doesn't rise hardly at all under recoil.

shamrock404
March 6, 2007, 10:31 AM
I have noticed on new Colts from the factory that the long trigger comes with the humped mainspring housing and the short trigger comes with the flat housing. The only thing I have done to the factory Colts were to remove the plastic mainspring housing and use a steel housing of the same configuration. I like the way both feel. Every one has their likes. Have a nice day and a wonderful week.

HSMITH
March 6, 2007, 10:35 AM
Stinkyshoe, I think a large part of it is muscle memory. I also think that shooting the front sight takes care of the rest. A third factor is all the revolver shooting I have done, the Glock grip angle matches the revolvers and the trigger is easy to manage.

SuperNaut
March 6, 2007, 01:07 PM
I've been toying with the idea of what I'm calling a "neutral wrist." It stems from basic guitar playing position philosophies. When I bring my hand up to a shooting position with as minimal muscle involvement as is necessary, my sights are automatically aligned with flat MSH. With an arched, they aren't. However I'm convinced that a "neutral wrist" position is slightly different for everyone.

Choices are good. :)

Now if we are talking about aesthetics, that's a whole 'nother.

If you enjoyed reading about "Arched or Flat?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!