Carry in someone else's house?

PDA

Famine
March 5, 2007, 07:03 PM
Without a CCW, I can carry my gun in my house, exposed or concealed, right? What if I'm at a family member's house? Can I carry my gun exposed or concealed there?

If you enjoyed reading about "Carry in someone else's house?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1BLINDREF
March 5, 2007, 07:10 PM
Why :confused:

Zundfolge
March 5, 2007, 07:13 PM
That would really depend on what state you live in.

Famine
March 5, 2007, 07:52 PM
I live in Michigan. As for why...my brother just bought an old house he plans on flipping within two years. He's going to hire me to do the work. The house is in the "not so nice" part of town. If I'm working there (not as a job but as a family member who is helping out another family member), I will often be in this ghetto with thousands of dollars of power tools, by myself, at any hour of the day, in a house that doesn't even have all of it's windows.

Could I transport the gun in my truck to the house, take it inside, and conceal it?

average_shooter
March 5, 2007, 08:00 PM
I believe that as long as you are on private property with permission from the property owner to carry, concealed or not, you are good to go.

wdlsguy
March 5, 2007, 08:06 PM
Michigan's Concealed Pistol Law - Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10953--,00.html#Concealed_Weapons__Non_CPL_Holders_)

Famine
March 5, 2007, 08:17 PM
I've read the FAQ, but did not see my situation, unless I consider his house my "home."

Nomad, 2nd
March 5, 2007, 09:27 PM
If the owner lets you... your good.

deadin
March 5, 2007, 09:34 PM
Check out MCL Ch.8 para 750.227(2)
A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions pon such license.

I read this as no, you can't carry concealed where you asked, however, as long as the pistol is licensed, you can open carry.

Famine
March 5, 2007, 10:01 PM
I don't know...doesn't seem straight forward. What if I'm being paid to remodel his house. Then it's a buisness, and it says your place of business is okay. What qualifies as a business?

Why do they have to word them this way?

Worst case, I put the gun on a table and don't carry it.

aguyindallas
March 5, 2007, 10:16 PM
Well, for the most part, I ONLY go to friends houses. 95% of those people KNOW I carry a gun. Those same people ALSO carry guns.

No problems here...

I am actually thinking of having a party/bbq at my new house (when its done being built) where folks are ENCOURAGED to bring/wear their "BBQ guns"

creitzel
March 5, 2007, 10:21 PM
Famine, I am not a lawyer, but I think you'd be alright, as long as you have your brother's permission to carry in the house.

If you want to be sure, you will need to contact a lawyer. If you don't want to pay one, you could try the Michigan Gun Owners forum (http://www.migunowners.org/forum/index.php?). They have a legal section (called legal beagle corner) where a Michigan attorney answers questions like these for free. Just post a question in that forum, and he should be along to answer it shortly. You could also try contacting the Michigan State Police, and they may be able to help you out.

Hope this helps :)

mp510
March 5, 2007, 10:38 PM
Open Carry might be an option. However, without a CPL you will need to transport your handgun in a locked container with the ammunition stowed seperately.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/1026.html
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/1307.html

http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/d_ccwfaq.asp
Q: How long will the process take?
A: It's reasonable to expect it to take a couple of months (one to three) from the time the new application and fingerprints are filed to receiving the permit. As far as renewals, the gun board must issue or deny a renewal within 60 days from when the application was properly submitted. The clerk shall issue a receipt when you turn in your renewal. If the gun board fails to act within 60 days, your license is extended 180 days or until your new one is issued. You must carry the receipt and the expired license.

You should definetely get the ball rolling on a CPL application. In addition to allowing you to carry concealed you will also be able to avoid the purchase permit requirement.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ri-060_6454_7.pdf

Titan6
March 5, 2007, 10:49 PM
I wouldn't do it even if I could legally without asking first. If he dosen't like it don't take the job. This is a respect thing. Something too many people lack these days.

If I go to another man's house than I follow their rules or I leave.

g5reality
March 5, 2007, 10:52 PM
As long as your host doesn't mid I guess the answer is Yes, However being a guest, the right thing to do is ask. You wouldn't light up a cigarette in someone's house that didn't smoke would you?

Common sence & common courtesy.

jeepmor
March 5, 2007, 11:15 PM
Just get your permit, it's much less hassle.

Aguila Blanca
March 5, 2007, 11:24 PM
I don't know...doesn't seem straight forward. What if I'm being paid to remodel his house. Then it's a buisness, and it says your place of business is okay. What qualifies as a business?
Not "a" business ... "your" business.

The standard example is a store. If YOU own the store, it is YOUR place of business. If your brother owns the store and you work there, it is HIS place of business, and your place of employment. He can carry; you cannot.

Any contractor performing labor (skilled or unskilled) on property owned by a second or third party is NOT working at HIS place of business.

Duncan223
March 6, 2007, 12:00 AM
Famine said: I live in Michigan. As for why...my brother just bought an old house he plans on flipping within two years. He's going to hire me to do the work. The house is in the "not so nice" part of town. If I'm working there (not as a job but as a family member who is helping out another family member), I will often be in this ghetto with thousands of dollars of power tools, by myself, at any hour of the day, in a house that doesn't even have all of it's windows.

Could I transport the gun in my truck to the house, take it inside, and conceal it?

Check your state laws. If you have a concealed permit/license, and you're allowed to carry on the job, then yes. If you don't have the permit/license, and since it is not your property - then no. Again, check your laws, and you will get a "legal answer" - and it will be much better than what some "gun board gurus" can give.

Green Lantern
March 6, 2007, 12:13 AM
The standard example is a store. If YOU own the store, it is YOUR place of business. If your brother owns the store and you work there, it is HIS place of business, and your place of employment. He can carry; you cannot.

It's his brother's property - so long as his brother is OK with him carrying, who's gonna press charges against him if he's "caught???" :confused:

Say a business owner in that state has armed security, but prefers that they CCW instead of open carry - is it right that the business owner has to have his staff get permission from the .gov to do something he WANTS them to do on HIS property?

My "armchair" answer is "go for it," WITH your bro's blessing. - important. Even more important would be to get advice from someone versed in gun law in the state if it really concerns you! ;)

Gray Peterson
March 6, 2007, 02:47 AM
Here's an obvious answer: Just open carry while at the jobsite.

mobeewan
March 6, 2007, 06:49 AM
See if your brother can make a rental agreement for you to "rent" the property from him for $1 while you are working on the house. Then you have a right to be there as a renter. This is only a suggestion, you still need to see if this will fly under the law, it might help.

Libertylover
March 6, 2007, 12:02 PM
Get your CCW permit if it's feasible. Or consult an attorney.

If you enjoyed reading about "Carry in someone else's house?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!