Makarova problem

PDA

makarova
March 5, 2007, 10:07 PM
I recently purchased a Bulgarian Makarov. I havent had a chance to take it to the range yet, but I have already noticed a problem, very often the hammer will not lock back for single action fire. The trigger still works and I presume the weapon will fire. One more clue, when it does lock back, there seems to be a distinct hitch at the very end of the hammer travel.
The answer is of course obvious, go find a good gunsmith. Yeah exactly, only where do I find one who specializes in Maks? My interim solution is take it to the local guy and see what he says. More research then if he comes up blank. Any one have any ideas in the meantime?

If you enjoyed reading about "Makarova problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
grimjaw
March 5, 2007, 10:11 PM
Don't presume that it will fire! I might just go full auto on you.

Busted sear or other internal is my guess. You should be able to purchase the parts at someplace like Makarov.com and replace them yourself.

jm

North Bender
March 5, 2007, 10:21 PM
The Makarov is such a totally easy pistol to understand that if you can't replace the sear any gunsmith should be able to. Order the part from Makarov.com and it should take 15 minutes of a smith's time.

alamo
March 5, 2007, 10:23 PM
Make sure the mainspring is properly installed also. I'm not sure that would cause the problem you describe but you at least should take it out and reinstall to see if that helps.

If you enjoyed reading about "Makarova problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!