Finally in my hands, now to refinish or no?

PDA

dust_101
March 5, 2007, 11:19 PM
So after waiting 5 weeks for this to get added to my CCW, I finally have my Sistema 1927 (1911A1). Let me tell you, I'm thrilled. After a good cleaning and only replacing the recoil spring this old girl is nice and tight, no rattles and the only problem was a stripped grip screw bushing that needed staking to fix her right up.

Now the problem is... I'm starting to really like the non-finish this girl has, a bit of the old used/worn patina is working into me. The plan was to refinish this to a nice matte blue, but just not sure anymore. So thoughts here folks, what do you think, leave it alone or refinish the old girl?

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/3008/untitledtb2.th.png (http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledtb2.png)

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/9260/untitled2cb7.th.png (http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled2cb7.png)

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally in my hands, now to refinish or no?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Monkeybear
March 6, 2007, 12:34 AM
Depends. If you care about resale value or the "guns history" then leave it original. If you are like me and you appreciate a nice looking firearm and could care less about looking at your gun and wondering where all the blue went then get it refinished.

Some people like the unfinished look. Gives it character and "history". For me if the wear on the finish diddn't come from me then it just looks like wear. Now the scratches and the such I put on my guns myself, thats a different story.

10-Ring
March 6, 2007, 01:00 AM
Uh, no don't refinish it! If you want one LNIB, get a new SA GI model!

Richard
March 6, 2007, 01:36 AM
"Uh, no don't refinish it! If you want one LNIB, get a new SA GI model!"

+1, I refinished and upgraded mine but I still long for a "Plain Jane" 1911A1. Here is a photo of my Sistema Colt 1927, tell me if I did the right thing or not? Regards, Richard:D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid86/p63279fe5e0a48ea5b7032ceb3d07cf9b/faae437f.jpg

saltydog452
March 6, 2007, 02:12 AM
If its going to be a 'working/carry' gun, I wouldn't mess with it.

As far as 'working/carry' 1911 pattern pistols go, an un-tinkered with '27 is good stuff. Its a secret though,...don't tell anyone.

Some 'smiths farm out their re-finishing chores. Too much time in the blast cabinet or on the buffing wheel by a sub-contractor can mess up a reliable piece of equipment.

salty.

saltydog452
March 6, 2007, 02:14 AM
Ooops. Guess I had a 'senior moment'. My bad.

I promise that it was neither drug or drink induced.

salty.

mattw
March 6, 2007, 03:02 AM
Well if it is going to be a CCW peice I would suggest refinishing it. Help protect it from corrosion.

CWL
March 6, 2007, 04:11 AM
That doesn't look like 'patina' to me, it looks like corroded pitting.

I'd refinish it. Because it is a Sistema and not an American-made 1911, refinishing will not reduce the collector's value of your pistol. However, if you let it rust, that will reduce the value of your pistol.

At least put a couple coats of wax on it.

ArchAngelCD
March 6, 2007, 04:12 AM
I have seen many of those 1927's that have been refinished. They are bead blasted and then Parkerized. You can't see the Colt name after that's done. They are being sold for between $300 and $350. If you leave it as is it's worth about $150 more. If you really feel the need to clean it up a little some 0000 steel wool and a good gun oil will clean it up quite nicly.. Just leave it as is and be proud you have a Colt on your belt.

You know they were made for Argentina and suppose to be made there too but most were made here in the USA and re-stamped.

Those pistols are great because almost all 1911 aftermarket parts will fit it.

Ala Dan
March 6, 2007, 04:18 AM
I would leave it original, if possible. There is nothing quite like nostaliga in
the firearms business; and people pay good money for that kind'a respect.

Richard
March 6, 2007, 05:34 AM
ArchAngelCD, the Sistema Colt 1927s are, for all practical purposes, Colt 1911A1 pistols. When I asked my gunsmith, Marianne Carniak of the Accurizer Gunshop in Troy, MI, about fixing up my 1927, she said in the end you still have a Colt. Marianne holds the 1927s in high esteem. Regards, Richard:D

dust_101
March 6, 2007, 10:54 AM
dang, only one night and it's about neck and neck with the leave it alone and re-blue crowd :D

Let me add a bit into the discussion -

No decision has been made on if this will be a CCW gun (it HAD to be on the CCW permit in NY State :barf: ) or if this will just be a range/shooter. I'm planning to take it and put the 200 rounds through her to see if I enjoy it enough, then borrow one of the grip clip (aka mexican carry) add-ons to see if I like the weight as a CCW.

I have no interest in the value of the gun for resale. It's mine, I own it, you'll get it when you take it out of my cold dead hands :D

I don't plan to replacing any parts that are not needed, thus far only the recoil spring and 2 grip bushings needed replacement. The original worn grips are wrapped and sitting in the safe, the grippy black plastic ones in the photo were added just 'cause.

*IF* a refinish is in order, the plan would be this - light bead blast on the frame/slide, scotch wheel all other bits and then a standard drop in the tank. Done this already once with a .30-30 barrel for the T/C Contender and it looks close to a nice GI-style finish. The rollstamping does fade a bit, which concerns me.

So for now, she sits in a case with a silica packet, and a liberal amount of oil on her.

GunNut
March 6, 2007, 12:12 PM
Leave it for now, and if you get tired of it looking so used then refinish it later.

Like they say "it's your gun do what you want with it.":D

Personally i'd probably get tired of the well worn look and want it refinished.

Sniper X
March 6, 2007, 01:07 PM
It looks really COOL! But I'd refinish it to a high polish blue or matte blue....it'll last longer. Cool gun, nice find!

Good luck with her.

Lonestar.45
March 6, 2007, 07:50 PM
If it's going to be a carry gun...definitely refinish. Judging by the pics you posted, I don't think there's much finish left. Sure, a re-finish might detract from value, but I'd think the rust and pitting that would occur if you didnt' refinish and carried all the time would detract more.

Besides, are you ever going to sell it? No? So who cares if you lose $150 in value on a gun worth $500 that you're never going to sell anyway. I say refinish and fix up the way you want, and shoot/carry/enjoy/repeat.

hkenvy91
March 6, 2007, 07:59 PM
im in the same dilemma? ive got an old warhorse <march 1944> m1 garand with hardly any finish left on it . and i must say, i like the way it is better then having it reparked.

hrgrisso
March 6, 2007, 08:06 PM
I like the nice smooth look of the NP3 or Roguard from Robar. Both are amazing looking and will truly change how you feel about your firearm.

dust_101
March 6, 2007, 08:52 PM
Those finishes from Robar are nice, but :what: those prices are a wee bit painful!

ArchAngelCD
March 7, 2007, 02:53 AM
Richard,
Than you for the information but I already knew the 1927 is a 1911A1, that's why I mentioned in my post all the aftermarket 1911 parts fit his pistol.

nwilliams
March 7, 2007, 04:06 AM
I say leave it the way it is. As long as it works and you replace the parts that need replacing I would keep it looking like a historical piece. I like the hell and back look that it has, it has a workhorse appearence and character the way it is.

Nickotym
March 7, 2007, 03:59 PM
I am not seeing dust's picture, so I can't comment on his, but I just picked a sistema up last weekend and hope to park it this weekend. I have pictures on forum.m1911.org in the gunsmith and refinishing thread under the following thread: http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?p=253804#post253804

To clear up some misconceptions:

Only the first 10,000 Sistemas were actually Colt made, after that they were made in Argentina in a factory setup by Colt.

Most Sistemas are looked at as shooters and not very collectible. As such I am not worried about keeping the finish original on mine. Matter of fact, as can be seen if you go to the other site and look at the pics it has been stripped for refinishing by the arsenal before being sold as surplus. I will be putting in a new disconnector, new grip bushings and screws and new grips. Eventually maybe a beavertail that I don't have to cut the frame for.

Here is one pic:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s209/Nickotym/1911%20sistema%20before%20refinishing/rsidenoserial.jpg

Nickotym
March 8, 2007, 11:53 AM
After seeing Dust's pic I think I would parkerize his if it was mine. As I understand it parkerizing will cover the pits easier. It looks like his is in tougher shape than mine is.

How does it run Dust?

dust_101
March 8, 2007, 03:11 PM
Nickotym, I've yet to get her to the range, but she'd been detail stripped and had everything polished, just replaced the sear spring and the barrel link today and she locks up nice and tight. Barrel still has decent rifling, no wear that would cause problems, I expect her to just blaze once I get out with her.

The range is where alot of this will be decided. The GI trigger seems short for my hands, so if I need to replace that, then it'll be time for a new finish and just make her a shooter.

We shall see, but I've been looking at getting her park'd as well.

johndoe1027
March 8, 2007, 04:07 PM
I'd leave it. It's perty.

briang2ad
March 9, 2007, 07:38 PM
Can blast this even with Al Oxide and leave the roll marks. I took a CZ to a professional blaster and I cannot tell that they did anything in terms of defacing any of the lettering, even after I sanded it down to 1500 grit. If they are good, it should not be a problem. Un less you like the way it looks, or plan to make it an investment (could you really sell it for a huge profit in the future as is?), I'd get it done right - from a pro.

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally in my hands, now to refinish or no?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!