What 1911

PDA

g5reality
March 6, 2007, 08:09 PM
beginning in 2008, in California, a new law will make it illegal to sell new semi-auto pistols that do not have a round chamber indicator. Therefore If I can only buy one handgun every 30 days I would like to get a 1911 every month for thruogh the end of the year I LOVE kimbers but would like to get members input as to the 1911's they would get. Ths being March I can realistically only buy 10 more. Which ones would you buy? and how many if you could only buy 10?

If you enjoyed reading about "What 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GreenFurniture
March 6, 2007, 08:15 PM
Only 10?

First:

Colt Series 70

Then, in no real order:

Kimber TLE-II/LR

Ed Brown Executive Elite

Springfield Armory Mil-Spec

Colt Delta Elite 10mm

Colt Series 70 Combat Commander

Springfield Armory WWII Retro

Kimber Ultra Carry II

Ed Brown Kobra Karry

Colt Nat'l Match Gold Cup

U.S. Prop marked 1911, you pick the maker.

Ala Dan
March 6, 2007, 08:36 PM
Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special
Ed Brown Executive Target
Kimber Gold Match
Springfield Armory Professional TRP
Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry
Les Baer Premeire II
Springfield Armory Trophy Match
Kimber Warrior
Ed Brown Kobra Carry
Colt Series 70 Gold Cup National Match

10-Ring
March 6, 2007, 08:42 PM
I would go Ed Brown - all those CA approved, Les Baer - all CA approved & then Colt XSE's :D

Nomad, 2nd
March 6, 2007, 08:57 PM
I was gonna vote Kimber, till I saw that there were custom choices avalable... if You can afford it. Les Baer!!!!!!

I'd buy 10 if I can only have 10...

PS, Kimber now has a 'divit' in the barrel 'So that you can see if the chamber is loaded' See if this will pass Kalafornication's rules...

If they EVER start the 'gun a month' program anywhere I live (Well, actually I'll move) But I WOULD buy one EACH and EVERY month!

marklbucla
March 6, 2007, 09:06 PM
What law is this that will put these restrictions on you? You're not referring to SB489, are you?

Gator
March 6, 2007, 09:42 PM
I'd buy 10 Colts. Colts will hold their value, and they are "the real thing".

wooderson
March 6, 2007, 09:47 PM
If you've got the money, don't know why you wouldn't buy an Ed Brown or Les Baer first.

Are any of the Nighthawk models CA certified?

Can you send out a CA-legal base models for custom work without tripping over a law? (ie Colt Combat Commander sent to Yost-Bonitz or another smith)

Barr
March 6, 2007, 10:55 PM
Dan Wesson Pointman 7

JCF
March 6, 2007, 11:00 PM
I'll second the Pointman 7

GunNut
March 6, 2007, 11:30 PM
Colt's, Les Baer's and Ed Brown 1911's would be high on my list if I didn't think they would be available in the future.

Not only are they quality guns that will last, but they will also have the highest resale prices.

DogBonz
March 6, 2007, 11:38 PM
Because I feel that they are the best. I loved my Para, but you are limited to a 10 round mag, so why bother. You need a Colt because the are the real deal. You should also get a S&W 1911PD because they are awesome Commanders. Maybe a wilson...

Kevinch
March 6, 2007, 11:40 PM
My choice is Kimber, but whatever. If it were me, I'd be sure to have 1 of every barrel length available - at least a 3"; 4.25", & 5".

AJD
March 6, 2007, 11:44 PM
I like Colt's because of their classicy looks and because they are 100% US made. Yes they are a little spendy, however they maintain their value and they use more barstock and fewer MIM parts than most other 1911 producers.

However, if you have the money then I would certainly suggest using your 30 day grace periods on a few custom 1911's first.

MrDig
March 7, 2007, 11:27 AM
I voted other as I would get an RIA. The only other .45 ACP I would buy is a Colt if I found the right one and had the money to burn. Two BIG if's for me.

realmswalker
March 9, 2007, 12:05 PM
I was under the impression this new law would only apply to new guns being made. It doesn't mean you can't buy guns made before 2008 without a loaded chamber indicator, if this was true then all semi auto pistols without a loaded chamber indicator could not be sold in cali, and I think we are a few years away from that.

denfoote
March 9, 2007, 05:24 PM
Go for the absolute best!!!
Lay your hands on a Larry Vickers 1911!!!
Now, I'm not sure if these are actual Vickers guns, but it's worth a look!!!
http://www.vickerstactical.com/

g5reality
March 9, 2007, 05:43 PM
I was under the impression this new law would only apply to new guns being made. It doesn't mean you can't buy guns made before 2008 without a loaded chamber indicator, if this was true then all semi auto pistols without a loaded chamber indicator could not be sold in cali, and I think we are a few years away from that.

Correct If it's on the list today it will be ok, until it has to be renewed. it's future models that are in question but what happens when there all gone. I'll be getting one a month for the rest of the year. After reading this thread three will be at least one of each:

Les Baer, Ed Brown, Kimber, Colt, Springfield.

I like GreenFurniture's list

realmswalker
March 9, 2007, 08:35 PM
G5, I think it's cool that you want to buy all these guns and I say go for it, but the used gun market is huge and I don't see these guns running out in mine or your lifetime. So many have been made. I don't know what does everyone else think.

seporith
March 9, 2007, 09:07 PM
Stay away from Nighthhawk. I now own 3 ( Talon Bull bbl, Predator, Predator II BOBTAIL) as they are very addictive. My favorite is the Predator II bobtail. Anthony

deputy tom
March 10, 2007, 06:08 PM
Out of all the 1911's I've owned the SA pistols were the most trouble free for me.YMMV.tom.

Dobe
March 11, 2007, 10:24 AM
If your budget allows, I suggest the Ed Brown. It is a hangun that you will enjoy every time you pull the trigger, ever time you hold it, and ever moment you imagine your great grandson pulling the trigger.

Dobe

Rinspeed
March 11, 2007, 01:45 PM
I think Les Baer makes the very best 1911 for the money. The PII can be had for right around $1400. If you are able to pony up the extra the Brown pistols are worth it.

HiltonFarmer
March 11, 2007, 02:11 PM
I have a deposit in on the Colt and given it's my first 1911, I'd have to say that would be my first choice. :)

HiltonFarmer

Poohgyrr
March 11, 2007, 03:19 PM
Ummm, well living in in CA, the closest I can get to a real TommyGun is watching an old gangsters or WWII movie. :(

So, how about this one:

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/1844/baer002bq7.jpg

The Colt Gunsite model is another one to buy. :D

And actually, all they have to do is cut a notch in the barrel hood, like S&W is doing. Then, if you install a Barsto barrel, you'll get two! benefits with the new barrel.. :neener:

larry starling
March 11, 2007, 04:41 PM
Buy a Colt . All the others can't claim to be a Colt only a Copy....:rolleyes:

Fun2Shoot
March 11, 2007, 05:00 PM
I'm a 1911 part-timer. I've had a used Colt Commander in the 1980's - real good gun. A 1980's NIB Colt Govt 1911 9mm - nightmare - trying to forget the whole affair.

And now I own my grandpa's Colt 1911 WWI sidearm from his US ARMY service in France (bailing France out the first time).

That Colt 1911 just runs great! :D

However, after reading about a bizillion posts about every 1911 brand ever made on about 8 different gun forums for over a year, it seems to me that the plain-Jane S&W 5" 1911 stainless model is a great shooter right outa the box and very, very few complaints when compared to all the other 1911 makers.

I voted S&W 1911 and will buy one just as soon as funds permit.

Doctor Suarez
March 11, 2007, 07:47 PM
Wait, isn't it that any gun already on the list can be renewed indefinitely until the design is changed? Otherwise, we'd lose such mainstays as the Glock 17 and Beretta 92.

Isn't it only new guns submitted for first-time testing that will be excluded?

Poohgyrr
March 11, 2007, 08:28 PM
The current generation (#3) of Glocks already have a loaded chamber indicator - the extractor now has a small "bump" on the outside, when the chamber is loaded this bump sticks out just enough to be easily felt.

If you enjoyed reading about "What 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!