World's biggest shotgun?

PDA

GaryL
March 6, 2007, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't know, but this thing is impressive.

http://www.break.com/index/biggest_shotgun_in_the_world.html

BTW, this site probably won't get past the work filters, but their video section is pretty much PG13.

If you enjoyed reading about "World's biggest shotgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DoubleTapDrew
March 6, 2007, 10:25 PM
He didn't even fire it from the shoulder, what a wuss! :p
That's pretty cool. Way back in an issue of guns and ammo they did an article on 4,6, and 8 gauge shotguns. The cover photo was the author in mid air during full recoil with a very painful expression on his face :uhoh:

GaryL
March 6, 2007, 10:51 PM
He didn't even fire it from the shoulder, what a wuss!
I'd be a wuss too. One shot with that and I don't think I'd be pulling the trigger on anything else until the bones were well healed. :what:

rustymaggot
March 6, 2007, 10:55 PM
id like to know exactly what that was, or even what cartridge it was. does anyone know for sure? any more video of it floating around?

RNB65
March 6, 2007, 11:03 PM
It's a punt gun. There are two of them on display at the office of the Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries here in Richmond. It's basically a small, smoothbore cannon used in past times to kill ducks and geese by the dozen. Typically fired from a fixed mount on the front of a flat bottom skiff (or punt).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punt_gun

Shear_stress
March 6, 2007, 11:08 PM
You can still hunt with these suckers in England, apparently:

http://www.puntgunner.co.uk/aboutsport.htm

XLMiguel
March 6, 2007, 11:47 PM
RNB65 got it. Punt guns were used by commercial hunters on the Chesapeake (& elsewhere). You really wouldn't want to fire it from the shoulder, as a.) they're pretty heavy, you'd need a rest or a buddy; and b.), it will knock you on your butt (they were capable of capsizing a small boat if fired way off keel axis). The Chesapeake was the largest source of protein on Earth. Even today, migratory fowl can darkern the skies for hours in season . . .

Sorry to ramble, I'm and old Bay sailor high & dry in NM (it ain't bad, just miss the crabcakes sometimes)

DoubleTapDrew
March 7, 2007, 12:55 AM
Well apparently these have a "sporting purpose" so I'm going to have to mount a metalstorm to my harley (to compliment the super-secret 12 gauge rounds in the handlebars) haha :neener:

ArfinGreebly
March 7, 2007, 01:46 AM
I'm sorry . . . I missed that.

Is that an .88 magnum?

only1asterisk
March 7, 2007, 01:48 AM
That isn't even close to the world's largest shotgun!

David

dfaugh
March 7, 2007, 09:23 AM
Local gunshop used to display one in their front window...I'd guess, from the size, a 2 or 4 gauge. I never looked at it closely, as I thought it was a "fake" made for advertising purposes. It was approx. the size shown in the video, although IIRC, the barrels were some what shorter.

If you enjoyed reading about "World's biggest shotgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!