Can't get Harris bipod onto LTR

PDA

Matt_B
June 8, 2003, 02:44 PM
After about 4 months, I finally got my Remington .308 LTR yesterday. For the record, I didn't get it because it had the word "Tactical" in the model name. I just wanted a relatively short bolt action .308 in all black. Believe me, I'm as sick as everyone of else of that overused word.

Anyway, I've got a Harris BRM-S bipod that I used to use on my AR-15. I had a rail mounted swivel for the AR and the bipod attached with no problem. However, I have been unable to mount the bipod on either of the front studs on the LTR. The studs aren't long enough to reach the clamping bars on the bipod.

I checked the Harris website and just as I remembered, all the bipods have the same basic method of attachment.

If anyone has any experience with type of problems, I would really, really appreciate some input. I would rather not other another bipod to only have the same problem.

TIA.

PS - I am very happy to be part of the bolt action crowd. I love my semi-autos but there is something beautiful about the simplicity of a bolt action rifle. I can't wait to get it broken in!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Can't get Harris bipod onto LTR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GunNut
June 8, 2003, 02:58 PM
Did you unscrew the tension screw all the way out?

Did you push the clamping bars all the way up through the hole? I would imagine trying to push the stud down through the hole would be fairly difficult.

As far as I know it should fit any rifle w/swivel studs.

Just today I mounted mine on my Ruger M77, Ruger 10/22 and Tikka Whitetail Stainless Synthetic with no problems.

Steve

Matt_B
June 8, 2003, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the response gunnut.

Yes, I did unscrew the tension screw all the way.

IIRC, the bipod was really easy to put onto the AR rail mounted swivel stud. I thought (and it appears I am incorrect) that the swivel stud on the AR stuck down a bit into the bipod plate.

To be blunt, I didn't spend a lot of timing screwing around with it last night since I was a bit tuckered from a long day at the range. I'd be trying to get it on right now but I'm stuck at work on a Sunday.

It sounds like I just to play with it a bit more and I should be good to go.

GunNut
June 8, 2003, 03:35 PM
Matt,

Try it when you get home, and if you need some help let me know.

I just got back from shooting about 1-1/2 hours ago, and feel like I went a few rounds with Mike Tyson. Who ever thought shooting would be so hard.:D

Good luck,

Steve

Matt_B
June 8, 2003, 08:26 PM
Ok, I'm a friggin' idiot or I just needed to look at the problem with a fresh set of eyes. I loosened the tension screw in the exact opposite direction that it needed to go. Well, if you're going to wrong, no reason to half-a$$ it :)

It's on now and solid as a rock. Thanks for the help GunNut. Next time I need assistance I'll try to have a REAL problem.

GunNut
June 8, 2003, 08:39 PM
No problem.

Been there and done that many times.

Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "Can't get Harris bipod onto LTR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!