My tiny little pocket pistol, RANGE REPORT and QUESTION

PDA

NYReload
March 7, 2007, 03:28 PM
Finally got it. Damn it's ugly!

EDIT:

Got 2 FTE, I think. The spent brass didn't get pulled out of the chamber all the way. That happened on the first (and only) 100 rounds of ball ammo I shot through it. Also got few FTF, where I had to push the slide with my thumb to chamber the round. Then, two magazines of Federal Hydrashok JHP 90gr, no problem.

Can I assume it's reliable???

If you enjoyed reading about "My tiny little pocket pistol, RANGE REPORT and QUESTION" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DontBurnMyFlag
March 7, 2007, 03:45 PM
I was tempted to by the version in .32, but I passed. When I held it...I...it was too weird lol. No other way of explaining it.

Ive heard only good things about the weapon though. have fun :D

ZeSpectre
March 7, 2007, 03:55 PM
Ugly, unpleasant to shoot, no sights worth mentioning, and I really like mine too.

As my grandfather told me about my first car (a beat to cr@p old pinto that I absolutely hated)... Buddy yer' not always gonna like the tools it takes to get the job done so focus on the fact that ya CAN get the job done.

As for being weird to hold, the +1 extensions for the magazine improve the grip 100% in my book.

obxned
March 7, 2007, 04:10 PM
Whatever else you can say about this gun, it is an 'always carry' that still packs a punch. For me, recoil is not objectionable, nor does it prevent installing every bullet in the vitals of the target with even VERY rapid fire.

50 Freak
March 7, 2007, 04:19 PM
I had a Keltec...Not too impressed. Even did the fluff and buff...on it.

I ended up with a Seecamp 32 with slipper laser instead.

DirksterG30
March 7, 2007, 04:26 PM
NYReload,
I wouldn't assume any gun is reliable until it is proven to me. My P3AT had a number of jams not unlike yours, with Wolf ammo as I was breaking it in. I think it was a problem with the Wolf, as the extractor rim shape & angle looked very different than other ammo I used (WWB FMJ, Remington Golden Saber & Hydrashoks.) All the other ammo fed fine, but I didn't carry it until I was sure that it fed 100+ rounds of my carry ammo without a failure. I'd suggest you do the same.

ZeSpectre
March 7, 2007, 04:37 PM
My P-3AT hates steel cased ammo and gives me FTE. Once I stopped fooling with that it runs everything else I've put in it fine.

cmidkiff
March 7, 2007, 04:47 PM
Mine (a factory hard chrome version) has digested somewhere around 2000 rounds of WWB, and 300 or so gold dots. Ran like a top since the day I bought it.

Yeah, it's ugly, cheap, feels weird in the hand, has poor sights, is unpleasant to shoot, and the trigger just sucks...

It also disappears into a pocket (in a pocket holster), doesn't weigh me down, and it's _always_ there. I have never seen a better 'when I can't carry a gun' gun.

Congrats :)

GunNut
March 7, 2007, 07:38 PM
I never understand how people find either the .32 or .380 Kel-tecs unpleasant to shoot.

To me they are some of the lightest recoiling pocket guns available on the market.

ZeSpectre
March 7, 2007, 07:57 PM
I never understand how people find either the .32 or .380 Kel-tecs unpleasant to shoot.

Well I guess you are just lucky.

GunNut
March 7, 2007, 08:10 PM
Well I guess you are just lucky.

Actually I owned a S&W 342PD 10.3oz .38special shooting Corbon 110gr +P loads at over 1,000fps and it absolutely killed my hand and was not pleasant at all.

So maybe i'm just basing my feelings on that.

ZeSpectre
March 7, 2007, 08:28 PM
I've noticed a lot of stuff is relative like that. I have a long background of .357 Magnum. As a result .40 S&W feels fine to me and 9mm feels like a popgun.

Strangely enough though after about 30 rounds from the P-3AT my hand starts complaining.

GunNut
March 7, 2007, 08:42 PM
Strangely enough though after about 30 rounds from the P-3AT my hand starts complaining.

Now I understand, some people make it sound like each shot just kills there hand. It probably has more to do with how the small sized gun is received by your hand.

Dave R
March 7, 2007, 09:31 PM
My P3AT had a number of jams not unlike yours, with Wolf ammo as I was breaking it in. I think it was a problem with the Wolf, as the extractor rim shape & angle looked very different than other ammo I used My experience is that either Wolf .380acp (and 9mm) are either slightly oversize, or some US-made guns have tight chambers. My P-3AT doesn't like Wolf, but my Commie Walther clone eats it up.

I would stick with brass-cased ammo with the P-3AT and that should solve your problems.

denfoote
March 8, 2007, 12:08 AM
Sounds like typical break in to me!!!
Take another 100 rounds and call me in the morning!! :evil:

ArchAngelCD
March 8, 2007, 01:51 AM
I just bought a P-32 too. It is the perfect gun for what it's meant to be.

I haven't had any failures with it but I've only fired 177 rounds so far. I think it's accurate but you will need a little range time to get the feel of this little pocket pistol.

Check this thread for my range report: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=259371

aaronrkelly
March 8, 2007, 05:16 AM
NO - DONT ASSUME ITS RELIABLE.

You shot a little over 100 rounds out of a gun with alteast 4 failures....thats NOT reliable.

You said 2 FTEs

and a "few" FTFs

I would NOT consider that reliable......definitely not for carry.

jon_in_wv
March 10, 2007, 07:53 PM
I bought a used P32 today. I shot a P3AT about two weeks ago and I thought it was really unpleasant to shoot. My P32 is much better. I fired about 30 rounds out of it today and it functioned 100%. It was really accurate and I'm still amazed at how tiny it is and it still works. I wish it fired a more formidable round but what do you want for something that small! Its my second KT and I don't regret either purchase.

tinygnat219
March 10, 2007, 08:09 PM
KT recommends NOT using steel cased ammo in its firearms.

yomama
March 10, 2007, 09:06 PM

Same here. But I absolutely HATE shooting my buddys S&W 642. I can shoot my P3AT all day long. Oh, and I have over 500 rounds through mine now and not one failure of any kind. My 9 year old son even loves shooting it.:)

B3XD
March 10, 2007, 09:22 PM
do get a fluff and buff. See the KTOG group for instructions or refer to a local gunsmith who knows the gun.

ArchAngelCD
March 10, 2007, 10:07 PM
I wish it fired a more formidable round but what do you want for something that small!
jon_in_wv
I was thinking along those lines too but since the gun is what it is you can only change the ammo you use. I have found that Fiocchi makes some HOT ammo. It's still used by by some European PD's and it's kinda like a +P version. I've shot some of it both in FMJ and JHP and it's hot stuff, especially the JHP ammo. The FMJ stuff is heavy too at 73 gr. Their 60 gr JHP is rates at 1200 fps with 205 ft/lbs of energy! That's a .32 Auto remember, not a .380 Auto or a 9X18mm Makarov. Don't think the 7.65mm Browing can't do a good job for you because it can. Give this stuff a try, you will like it!!

usp9
March 10, 2007, 10:21 PM
Their 60 gr JHP is rates at 1200 fps with 205 ft/lbs of energy!

Where did you get that data. I find it hard to believe The Ficcchi 60 gr, out of a 2" barrel, reaches that speed or energy. Do you have a reference?

ArchAngelCD
March 10, 2007, 10:29 PM
Do you really think I would put something on a forum if it wasn't true knowing I would look like a fool when proven wrong? :rolleyes:

I know the numbers are hard to believe but that was the point of my post, the stuff is HOT. http://www.fiocchiusa.com/cat_centerfire.php

GunNut
March 10, 2007, 10:36 PM
ArchAngelCD,

I'm pretty sure that would be out of a 4" barrel, if not longer.

ArchAngelCD
March 10, 2007, 10:40 PM
I didn't say you were going to get 1200 fps from a 2" barrel only that the ammo is rated at 1200 fps. Most other .32 Auto ammo is rated between 890 and 1000 fps and that was my point. The stuff is HOT and that fact doesn't change even when you lose what you lose from a short barrel. You lose the same amount from the slower stuff too.

GunNut
March 10, 2007, 10:51 PM
Gotcha, that makes more sense.:D

jon_in_wv
March 11, 2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the advice. You always have to take velocity numbers with a grain of salt. They are like Ballistic Gel numbers. They are a system or standard of comparison, not necassarily a representation of that happens in the real world. I'll have to see if I can find some of this Fiochi stuff!

usp9
March 11, 2007, 10:37 PM
ArchAngelCD Do you really think I would put something on a forum if it wasn't true knowing I would look like a fool when proven wrong?

I know the numbers are hard to believe but that was the point of my post, the stuff is HOT. http://www.fiocchiusa.com/cat_centerfire.php

Thanks for answering the question. The Fiocchi site was very informative.

ArchAngelCD
March 12, 2007, 02:34 AM
Thanks for answering the question. The Fiocchi site was very informative.
usp9,
I'm glad you found the Fiocchi as informative as I did. I have to admit, I wasn't the one to find that information. The local shop dealer who sold my the P-32 told me about Fiocchi ammo since that's what he's carrying in his P-32.
I'll have to see if I can find some of this Fiochi stuff!
jon_in_wv,
I just bought 5 boxes of Fiocchi FMJ for practice from The Sportsman's Guide for $9.77 a box and 2 boxes of the 60 gr JHP for $12.97 a box. Both listings are on this page: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=92045

kokapelli
March 12, 2007, 11:29 AM
Fiocchi 32 cal from a P-32 reaches less than 1000 fps!

For a reliable ballistics source from the P-32 GO HERE (http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/32acp/gel32acp.htm)

MCgunner
March 12, 2007, 11:40 AM
Then, two magazines of Federal Hydrashok JHP 90gr, no problem.

Can I assume it's reliable???

I'd fire a couple of hundred rounds of that Federal through it before trusting it. I don't think 2 mags is a good enough test of it after the break in. I'm real picky, want my guns 100 percent all the time and at LEAST 200 round burned up before I'm half way confident in it. Even then, it's nice to shoot the gun in competition a few times (IDPA for me) with no problems before I'm really up on the gun. Wouldn't do that with a P3AT or P32, though, but I have done it with my P11 and shot a pretty good score, too. :D

106rr
March 24, 2007, 04:26 AM
Fiocchi is good ammo in jhp or fmj. I have used a lot of both and now use only the fmj. The jhp seems to flatten its nose on impact and act like a wadcutter. I like RWS 73 gr fmj when I can get it for my p32. My old Tomcat worked best with cheap PMC fmj but was also good with Fiocchi jhp. The PMC/Tomcat won most mouse gun matches.

If you enjoyed reading about "My tiny little pocket pistol, RANGE REPORT and QUESTION" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!