Sig220 Vs. Colt1911

PDA

Archibald Tuttle
March 7, 2007, 09:49 PM
Both are currently my favorite of the .45 caliber but I'm curious to know what others might choose between the two and why. I'm especially curious to know if there are any tactical disadvantages to choosing classic firearms over modern ones. Would a Sig220 hold any advantage over the Colt1911 or are there any other models of the 1911 that might be a better choice?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig220 Vs. Colt1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GreenFurniture
March 7, 2007, 09:53 PM
The 1911 is the better choice.

Look at the models from Kimber, Springfield Armory and Colt. They're all fine pistols.

Nomad, 2nd
March 7, 2007, 09:53 PM
I looked at the Sig, but I see no point to buying a DA when I can have what I consider to be a superior action (SA) Same round count...

I carry a Kimber 1911.

10-Ring
March 7, 2007, 09:55 PM
My Colt XSE is one of my fave 45's and I haven't warmed up to the Sig

gbell
March 7, 2007, 09:59 PM
I've shot both for a while. Personally, I prefer the 1911 for two main reasons. The Sig 1) is DA and 2) I have ammo feed problems when using softer lead, and also I don't really trust the decocker on the Sig. Love shooting the 1911.

GunNut
March 7, 2007, 10:04 PM
+1 on not liking the DA/SA trigger mechanism.

So I would choose the 1911, but I would really look at the Sig P220SAO too.

sixgunner455
March 7, 2007, 10:09 PM
I prefer a 1911 in .45. I don't enjoy shooting a P220 in .45, but I can shoot a 1911 (all steel, full size) until I run out of ammo. If it's 9mm, the Sig might beat the 1911. I do like the feel of the P220.

jojosdad
March 7, 2007, 10:13 PM
Put me down on the 1911 side. I owned a SIG P220 for a week and never could get used to the trigger. I have 4 1911s and carry either a Series 70 Govt. or a Kimber Compact everyday.

doubleg
March 7, 2007, 10:14 PM
If its for ccw, then the p220. For everything else the 1911.

SoCalShooter
March 7, 2007, 10:17 PM
"OH NO HE DID'nt" *hops into MOPP 4 suit. 1911 all the way, best pistol ever designed, built and used.

AK103K
March 7, 2007, 10:33 PM
I used to be a big 1911 fan. I bought my first one around 1970 and I carried Colts for close to 30 years. Still have a couple, but they only get shot once in awhile these days and I have been selling them off for SIG's.

The biggest advantage the SIG's have over the 1911's is, they work out of the box. No crossing your fingers you got a good one, or fiddling or tuning, no break in, they just work. I know every manufacturer has their lemons, and I've had my share, (more 1911's than anything else) but I have yet to have to fool with any SIG I own or any I've shot. I cant say that for the 1911's, and especially any that didnt have a Prancing Pony on them. If you have a 1911 that works, they are great pistols, no argument from me there, but I find the overall reliability and accuracy of the SIG's to be better.

The DA vs SA thing is simply a lack of training and practice more than anything else. Once you are used to the DA triggers, its really no big deal. The dreaded DA to SA transition isnt there, and accuracy is just as good. Most of the complaints I hear are from people who wont put the time in to learn to shoot them. By doing do, they only limit themselves.

The decockers are a non issue. They simply lower the hammer safely.

While I still have a couple of P220's, I dont carry them much any more. I moved over to the P229 in 357SIG. I like the round better, and you get 4-5 more rounds in a gun thats about the same size.

Atticus
March 7, 2007, 10:36 PM
Would a Sig220 hold any advantage over the Colt1911

For me, yes. If I'm under severe stress and a zombie has me pinned down, and is ready to bite my neck, I want to grab my pistol in any way possible, pull the trigger, and hear a boom. No cocked and locked, no thumb safety,no thumb up or down, just point and pull the trigger. Sorry, I don't have time to train as a professional pistolero, I just want something nearly as simple as a Glock, but better. Ha...now I've offended both major religions. :neener:

tbtrout
March 7, 2007, 10:37 PM
I have both and feel equally comfortable putting my life on the line with either. I have beat up on both as far as cheap ammo, shooting dirty guns and a few hundred rounds fired with only time to change the mags. Both flawless. Now, both are better than Glocks:what:

aerod1
March 7, 2007, 10:48 PM
Colt 1911 for me.

Pax Jordana
March 7, 2007, 11:18 PM
P220 for carry, for the fact that my thumb's just a little too short to reach the mag release on either, but it's a shorter hike on a 220. I like the DA/SA option. I haven't ever fired their DAO (DAK, I think they call it..) but the simplicity of a DAO would be good for high stress shooting.

For effect, I think I'd have to go with the 1911, especially if I felt comfortable open carrying (No practical way to hide a full-sized one on me..) It'd have to be full-sized, in a light finish like nickel plating. Whip that baby out and even young tyrone the amateur funds-reappropriation officer will know you mean business :p

Archibald Tuttle
March 8, 2007, 11:25 PM
It seems the Colt1911 wins this round and I too prefer a prancing pony. But what I'm still curious about is how older models hold up to newer ones, especially during combat. Does anyone have any information on this subject?

robctwo
March 8, 2007, 11:36 PM
I decided to go with a .45 back in late 2004. Spent a few months agonizing over the choice between a sig 220 and a 1911. The Sig 220ST Stock was out as a limited run, with fiber optic sights and extended controls. I already owned the 226 Stainless Stock with target sights so that did it for me. I still needed a 1911. Bought the SA Black Stainless Loaded. Bought the S&WPD1911 Commander. Bought the Ed Brown Exec Target. Spent three years gun budget. Looking at the Sig 220 SAO, but will not buy it unless forced to by the gun crazies in my head.

I ran the 220 through it's paces the other day. Great gun. DA is not a problem if you're used to it. I like the de-cocker. Sig 220 is very accurate. Having said that it's not a Brown 1911.

thirty-thirty
March 8, 2007, 11:37 PM
The 1911 is a better range gun, but I'll take the Sig P220 for everything else. I don't want a defense handgun that doesn't go bang every time I pull the trigger. I hate safeties. Single actions are notorious for better triggers, but I don't want to carry cocked and locked.
A P220 under the pillow does not make me nervous.
If i have tp draw on an assailant who is 4 feet away, I don't need a safety to snick off and I want my thumb wrapped around the grip holding it tight.

In a gunfight at 80 yards the 1911 would be better, but I think most gunfights occur at very short range.

1BLINDREF
March 8, 2007, 11:52 PM
I'll take the Sig P220

Bought the Ed Brown Exec Target. Spent three years gun budget.
That's one reason.

The biggest advantage the SIG's have over the 1911's is, they work out of the box. No crossing your fingers you got a good one, or fiddling or tuning, no break in, they just work.
Thats another.

You can get a P220 with DA/SA trigger or with the DAK trigger.The DAK trigger (double action only) has a 6 lb pull. It's a great trigger for CCWs, light enough for fast follow up shots, but heavy enough to avoid ADs under stress.

Or for the price of one 1911, you can buy both :neener:

DAVE RICHARDS
March 9, 2007, 12:18 AM
I finally after going through 7 or so 1911's have two that are reliable. I have never had any of my Sigs fail. EVER! Although I love my 1911's they're not the perfect pistol many would have you believe. Case in point.
The plunger tube. Plunger tubes are one of the weaknessses in the 1911's design. They are staked in. They tend to often shoot loose after some time. Internal extractors are another case in point. Sometimes you get one that works the life of the gun. Othertimes, well.......! Look at the 1911 forums and the number of threads their are on how to tension internal extractors. Either too little or too much extractor tension causes all kinds of feeding/extraction problems on them. Also recoil springs on the Commanders and smaller sized models need fairly frequent, at least compared to most modern designs, changes to stay at optimum performance.
Not to mention the differences in fit, tolerences and so on in different guns from different makers. All manner of makers of parts and mags. And on and on. Am I down on the 1911? No. Once you get one up and running they are great shooters. For all the reasons people love. Pointability, accuracy, trigger pull, and so on. So if you are willing to put the time in they are great guns once debugged. But remember this. Wilson Combat, Cylinder and Slide, and so on still make lots of money doing "reliability packages" on 1911's. How many people would buy a Sig, HK, Glock, Walther, S&W, Ruger, or any of the modern desiogns and put up with having to fork out more cash to make them reliable?
Plus not only does the 220 work from the box they are very accurate. Typically if you can do it 1.5 inch groups at 25 yards. Some guns 1 inch. You have to pay alot to get into that kind of accuracy from a 1911. Also if you like cocked and locked the 220 is made in a version that uses that set up. So if you want a gun that is "balls to the wall" reliable and accurate from the box get the 220. If you are willing to risk having to maybe do some work to your 1911 from out of the box to get it as reliable ad accurate as a 220 go for it. YMMV!

rbernie
March 9, 2007, 12:24 AM
I've sold all my 1911s (probably a dozen or so, all told) and kept no less than two P220s (and sometimes more, depending on finances).

In the end, the P220 carries just as well as the 1911, is just as slim, is equal to any 1911 in accuracy, and in all the rounds I've thrown downrange thru one I've NEVER had a FTF, FTE, or bobble of any kind.

The fact that I can buy a used but very servicable P220 for far less than a 1911 of comparable build quality doesn't hurt my feelings, either.

gdvan01
March 9, 2007, 12:24 AM
SIG here... I trained and instructed on/with SIG's for several years and it doesn't take long to get used to the DA-SA transition. I get another one in a heartbeat if the price tag wasn't what it is.

Doc Rizzi
March 9, 2007, 12:35 AM
I love my 1911 colts for their history. I like the way they look, and feel, and they are fun to shoot...but, they simply are not as reliable as the Sig 220. Even with all the ramping/throating to the point of being able to feed cases, I am not ready to bet my life on them. I feel 100% confident that the first round would go bang...it is the subsequent rounds that I worry about. I don't worry about that with the Sig 220. Everyone I have talked to who has owned both echo's my opinion. The real deal is your particular weapon, and its history of reliability. You know what you can expect from your weapon. Neither the 1911, nor the 220 would do if you can't shoot worth shat, no matter how many bangs you get.

Chem Geek
March 9, 2007, 12:35 AM
So I love 1911's as much as the next guy, but for anything other than a range gun I'd go Sig for all the reasons mentioned above.

You guys saying SA is better do know that the 220 can be had as SA only right? You can carry it cocked and locked just like a 1911. Heck you can even get one with a 5" barrel that's SA only. :D

jlh26oo
March 9, 2007, 12:50 AM
Yeah, that one's probably only a couple grand huh? The 5" SAO? lol

Which has the shorter trigger reset p220 SAO vs 1911?

Autolycus
March 9, 2007, 02:20 AM
I am not able to choose. I like both.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
March 9, 2007, 05:43 AM
In the Sig camp here---and take it a step farther----recently chose between a Sig P220 and HK USPf .45.

Went with the HK---more shots---lighter weight---less costly---easier to rack the slide---can be carried cocked and locked if you choose to---and has a decocker----a hard to beat combination.

Mat, not doormat
March 9, 2007, 07:00 AM
1911, any day of the week, and twice on sunday. I've never had all the troubles guys love to yak about. I keep reliability logs of any gun I might carry.

Colt Gov't, mfd 1948: 8,000 rds of hardball, zero malfunctions. Not bieng throated, (they generally didn't do that in the 40's) it didn't like some hollowpoints.

Taurus PT1911: 1,808 rds, mixed hollowpoints, hardball, and lead. Never failed until the lock in the hammer bent and seized. I call that a taurus failure, not a 1911 failure.

Springfield Defender (Mil-Spec): 800 rds, mixed ammo. Failed a few times with the mag it came with, but so did the other three, when tested with it. scrapped mag, 100% since.

Dad's Rock Island GI: 4,202 rds, zero failures, except when testing the aforementioned junk mag. This is one amazingly reliable gun. Shoots circles aroud a lot of pricier guns.

You don't need to spend a grand or more to get a 1911 that works. In fact, a lot of the accurizing that the high dollar guys charge so much for is detrimental to reliability. i've seen the time that kimbers and les baers choked, but an old rattletrap GI kept right on going.

Master Blaster
March 9, 2007, 10:08 AM
Caveat Emptor

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=192908&highlight=SIG+p220+extractor

It runs fine now, but I have had better reliability out of any of the 1911's I own. My Springfield MilSpec had an extractor issue, a broken hook at 2000 rounds, but I replaced it with a wilson Bulletproof, and its 100% now.

I would buy a 1911.

AK103K
March 9, 2007, 10:45 AM
I dont care who makes what, every maker has some guns that have problems, its inevitable. The difference is, the percentages. If you picked 100 1911's at random from one or all the makers and 100 SIG's, I'd be willing to bet, you would have a lot more failures out of the box with the 1911's than you would with the SIG's. By out of the box, I mean..."out of the box" too. It has to work from the first round, break ins are not acceptable.

I noticed elsewhere here someone recently posted a report on SIG's 1911, and it too seems to suffer from "1911" problems. So SIG's "copy" isnt immune either.

I think the thing that really annoys me these days is, if you plunk down $750 for any gun, it should work 99.99%,(face it, nothing is 100%) without break in, out of the box. It should also come complete, with a decent trigger, night sights, good accuracy, feed anything you put in it, and require no add ons or gunsmith "tweaking". Any new SIG I've owned has fit this bill,(I've had to add the night sights to used ones I've bought, but they also cost less than $750) 1911's from most makers dont.

Chem Geek
March 9, 2007, 10:52 AM
Yeah, that one's probably only a couple grand huh? The 5" SAO? lol

Which has the shorter trigger reset p220 SAO vs 1911?

The 5" SAO is the P220 match model, it's ~$1k. Plenty of 1911's that go for more than that, and certainly plenty more that are less. I wonder how it stacks up against similarly priced 1911's, accuracy wise and such?

As for which has the shorter reset? No idea, but Sig does offer a short return trigger option that brings the reset down to approximately 60% of the original (according to Sig). Whether that's shorter or not I have no idea. :confused:

Anybody know?

AK103K
March 9, 2007, 11:16 AM
Is it just me, or is this "trigger reset" thing the newest tacticool gotta have thing of the new century?

And to think, after all these years I never knew I "needed" it. :)

gudel
March 9, 2007, 11:23 AM
The biggest advantage the SIG's have over the 1911's is, they work out of the box. No crossing your fingers you got a good one, or fiddling or tuning, no break in, they just work.

I second this. I notice that people in smaller town (read: backwoods) seem to like 1911 more than people in big cities. I don't know anyone, even gun shops guys around here that thinks 1911 is more reliable than any other pistols.
I guess they haven't read the news that there are more reliable guns out there.

HMMurdock
March 9, 2007, 05:40 PM
Sig P220 is available in DA/SA, DAK (DAO), and SAO. The P220 is a magnificent piece, and I'd challenge to say more "durable" than the 1911 if you plan on raking it through the mud before engaging in a firefight.

If you plan on taking good care of your firearm and none of the trigger options of the P220 strike you, then the 1911 cant be beat. But you have to get a good brand. I'd shy away from the Llamas and move more towards the Kimbers or Springfields.

You'll win either way. Keep in mind there are a lot of die-hard 1911 fans who will choose that gun over a magic laser pistol from the future. I love my 1911s, but they are not the magic answer to everything like many of the old-schoolers would have you think ;)

SHTF pistol? P220.

Carry pistol? 1911.

TRL

pablo45
March 9, 2007, 05:46 PM
I wish you were taking a poll so i could vote for the p220. I have three and i love them all. I am not a 1911 guy so this is the replacement for me. I love out shooting my buddies and there kimber's with my p220 that i only paid 500.00 for. It is such a fullfilling day at the range when i shoot tighter groups then them and there 1,000.00 paper weight's. Don't fall for what other people say. Check them both out. Because some of us just are not 1911 guy's.

lurkersince03
March 9, 2007, 07:48 PM
Not Sig related, but I recently switched from my 1911 to my HK USPf .45 with no regrets. I'll be sending my Springfield off to Ed Brown sometime, but even when I get it back, I'll just end up giving it to Pops (who used one for all of the years he was in Delta).

HorseSoldier
March 9, 2007, 08:00 PM
Both really seems to be the only logical answer.

Archibald Tuttle
March 9, 2007, 10:32 PM
Thanks everyone, very informative, awesome responses and a darn good post.

jlh26oo
March 10, 2007, 02:13 AM
The 5" SAO is the P220 match model, it's ~$1k. Plenty of 1911's that go for more than that, and certainly plenty more that are less. I wonder how it stacks up against similarly priced 1911's, accuracy wise and such?

As for which has the shorter reset? No idea, but Sig does offer a short return trigger option that brings the reset down to approximately 60% of the original (according to Sig). Whether that's shorter or not I have no idea.

Anybody know?

Wow had no clue it was around a grand. Thought it was at least twice that. As accurate as sigs are anyways, I wouldn't be surprised if it more than hangs w/similarly priced 1911's. Alternate trigger option is news to me as well. Good to know, thank you for the info.

Is it just me, or is this "trigger reset" thing the newest tacticool gotta have thing of the new century?

And to think, after all these years I never knew I "needed" it.

I think it's more like last century... but who said that you needed it (or were you having a conversation with yourself)? :neener:

But seriously, I don't think it's a must have. Probably just boils down to individual preference. I personally just like being able to let the trigger back out the shortest distance before it resets. If that makes me tacticool... guilty as charged!

GreenFurniture
March 10, 2007, 02:15 AM
Screw it and just get a GSR. It's a P220 in a 1911 shaped object.

meef
March 10, 2007, 02:31 AM
Would a Sig220 hold any advantage over the Colt1911Back in 1980 I bought a Browning BDA .45 which was the P220 of that time. It's the same gun except it has the European bottom-of-the-grip magazine release.

I can't say I've ever been fond of that feature versus the button on the side of the grip, but that's the way it was.

I competed for a couple of years in IPSC in my state and I was very competitive with the 1911s that almost everybody else was shooting.

Yeah, I had the DA/SA trigger thing going, and I had to drop my mags from the bottom of the grip.

Know what? I won a lot of matches in my class. And how I often did it was that I was a reasonably good shot with passable reflexes, and.......

My gun NEVER malfunctioned even once in that entire time.

I used to have to exert considerable discipline to keep from laughing as all too often the guys with their tricked-out 1911 race guns had to deal with any number of malfunctions - the same guys who snickered at my BDA and told me if I ever wanted to be competitive I was going to have to get rid of my toy and get a real gun.

SIG P220.... you can bet your life on it.

For carry there may be others as good - there's nothing better. In my biased (based upon years of experience) opinion, of course.

AK103K
March 10, 2007, 08:33 AM
think it's more like last century... but who said that you needed it (or were you having a conversation with yourself)? :neener:
well it wouldnt be the first time I was talkin to myself. :D

jlh26oo
March 10, 2007, 09:18 AM
Right there with you man. No I;m not. Shut up everyone's looking at you, play it cool, play it coool. :uhoh:

High Planes Drifter
March 10, 2007, 09:24 AM
I, as many others here, own both. I own 2 1911's and a Sig 220. Tho I rather shooting my Springfield GI at the range, it did give me trouble. I do have to say, my Sig worked right out of the box. It'll eat anything, its like a short, German, Rosie O'donell. Out of the 2, if you plan on only buying one 45 and want it to work for a lifetime, IMO you'd be better off going with the 220.

Chuck R.
March 10, 2007, 10:15 AM
I own 3 1911's and a 220ST, all are good guns, all of mine have proven reliable. I can shoot both pretty well, but the 1911 gets the nod. The DA/SA transition does take practice, but it can be done.

If comparing a 220 with a comparably priced 1911 for SD, I'll take the 220. This is because in that price range, I have more faith in the 220 working out of the box.

But, two of my 1911's are Baer's and they run circles around the 220. All the advantages of the 1911 platform, fantastic accuracy, and reliability. One Baer hasn't choked in 13K and the other is almost at 4K. Granted, it's not a fare comparison a $700 pistol vs. an $1800 pistol, but the original post was 1911 vs. 220. Those that complain about 1911 reliability just haven't shot the right 1911.

My HD pistol is my 220St, mostly because if I'm startled awake in the middle of the night I want the DA trigger pull. It also has a light rail with a M3X on it. It's also a backup to my primary HD gun which is a Benelli.

My CCW gun is my Stinger, it's thinner and more compact. To me, when compared to a slim 1911, a 220 feels like something that should be riding in a pommel holster. They just feel "blocky" to me.

I guess to sum it up; 220 vs. 1911........it depends.

Chuck

Redhat
March 10, 2007, 10:15 AM
Out of those two I like both also but would go with the Gov't Model. athat may not be the best for you though. Keep an open mind and shoot as many as you can before you buy. Anyway, here are my reasons for choosing the Gov't Model.

Trigger -Gov't model -

Ergonomics - Gov't model.

Size efficiency - Gov't Model. German guns tend to be blocky and bigger than they need to be (IMHO).

Sights - Both have good sights

Reliability - Both equal

Safety -I like the safeties on the Gov't model better. The decocker on SiGs is too close to the slide stop for me, but others get used to it so I suppose, like the Gov't Model's safety, its a training issue.

Handle and shoot both if possible and decide. Then make sure you practice. You'll see some folks who continually trade or buy other guns without ever mastering what they have,they just jump back and forth. If you just want to collect that is great, but if you want to train, get one and stay with it.

rjk2475
March 10, 2007, 10:32 AM
have shot both for severl years. both are great and i don"t want to give up either; but for carry, my comfort zone is the 220.

Pilot
March 10, 2007, 10:47 AM
I was at my buddies cabin and we were shooting a bunch of different pistols that he and I brought. He had both a Colt Lightweight Commander XSE and Sig P220 in .45. We shot both the Colt and the Sig extensively. Both performed flawlessly, but the Colt's trigger was better. I felt the Colt was a bit more compact, but they are pretty close in size and weight. I asked him which gun he preferred. He couldn't answer me. I really couldn't decide either but chose the Colt for the trigger and manual of arms. They really are both fine pistols. You just can't go wrong and I am not a big Sig fan, preferring CZ's for DA/SA autos.

trbon8r
March 10, 2007, 10:52 AM
I prefer a 1911.

Get yourself a Colt NRM or a Les Baer. Both work great out of the box without gunsmithing or fiddling. Without naming anyone specifically, it's "other" brands of 1911s that you see most people complaining about. The newer Colts just run and run, without any BS "break in" period that some other manufacturers try to use as an excuse for sending out faulty guns.

The Baer is a little different story than the Colt. They are super tight from the factory and Baer recommends you shoot 500 rounds before cleaning. I've heard some folks may have an FTF or two during the first couple hundred rounds because of the tight fit. Then after that they run and run. My Baer was perfect out of the box and never had any malfunctions either during or after the prescribed 500 rounds. Go with Baer or Colt and you won't be sorry.

mister2
March 10, 2007, 03:31 PM
Curious no one has brought this up. I read somewhere this was a special run, but that might be urban legend. I do not like magazine disconnects, not since I became acquainted with Browning HPs, and dislike the this 220ST for the same reason. By default, you could say I favor the 1911 (which never had a mag disconnect).

But there's another reason: aftermarket support. If one enjoys working on their firearm as much as shooting it, there's nothing like a 1911 for choices in anything, from barrels to grips, and everything in between.

Tezcatlipoca
March 10, 2007, 04:16 PM

No ramp jobs, worrying about hollow point ogive, or pain in the ass field strip.

Just simple efficiency.

ravencon
March 10, 2007, 04:58 PM
For serious work (i.e. HD or CC) I'll take the Sig 220. For me it has been 100% reliable. Whereas I've never owned a 1911 that has been 100% reliable.

The look and feel of the 1911 is great. The SA trigger is a fine thing. But, trust my life to a 1911?--No way.

Redhat
March 10, 2007, 08:43 PM
You guys crack me up! 1911 unreliable

Chuck R.
March 10, 2007, 09:20 PM
I'll gladly take the pain in the ass field strip for the 1911breeze of detail strip.

I don't think there's a semi around that detail strips easier than a 1911. The field strip really isn't that bad either. Just a question of doing it enough times.

BTW, between a pistol class last Saturday and shooting today, I've put a little over 800 rounds of 200 LSWC reloads through one of my 'non-reliable" 1911s this week.

Some of you guys have not shot the right 1911.

Chuck

Redhat
March 10, 2007, 09:22 PM
Alas another training issue, or lack thereof?

usa1993
March 10, 2007, 09:31 PM
If anyone thinks a 1911 field strips in any manner faster than a sig, then it's plainly obvious that they have only stripped a 1911 and have no basis for comparison; and therefore no basis for opinion on comparison; and therefore are just talking out of the wrong hole.

AK103K
March 10, 2007, 09:40 PM
I don't think there's a semi around that detail strips easier than a 1911.
The SIG is easier.

I've put a little over 800 rounds of 200 LSWC reloads through one of my 'non-reliable" 1911s this week.
and this was from a box stock 1911, right?

Some of you guys have not shot the right 1911.
I have shot and owned a great many 1911's over the years, some good, most of late, not all that good.

Alas another training issue, or lack thereof?
Your right, its the 1911 only shooters lack of training and understanding of the SIG, or anything else.

Chuck R.
March 10, 2007, 10:11 PM
AK103K,

When I say detail strip, I mean complete disassembly, not a field strip. Yes, the SIG does field strip easier.

And yes the 800 rounds of LSWCs was a box stock gun, minus a change in grips, mag well, and new night sights. Other than those modifications, none for reliability, the gun is stock. You probably want to go back and look at my earlier post though and see what I shoot for "stock" 1911's though. :D

As I said earlier in the thread, if it came down to equal priced pistols, I'd take the SIG. The original thread however, didn't set a price limit on either gun.

usa1993,

Guy, read the whole thread. I currently own 3 1911's and a SIG 220ST. I never said "field strip". Now if you think you can completely strip down your SIG faster than I can completely strip a 1911, then drive over to Leavenworth and show me.

Afterwards we can drive over to my range and get some shooting in.

Chuck

usa1993
March 10, 2007, 10:43 PM
Chuck:

Youre right, I jumped into the thread at the last......... it's so damned long! Hell it's Friday night I'm not going to read it all.... I mean no disrespect. Being from Leavenworth I imagine you're LEO or Corrections, and if not, owning the guns you say you do, then you know what you're talking about.

Safe shooting

USA

usa1993
March 10, 2007, 10:44 PM
I meant Saturday, maybe I need another one!

Redhat
March 10, 2007, 11:03 PM
AK103,

Sorry, I'm not a 1911 only shooter. Just saying, once familiarized with the gun, most of them are quite easy.

What's the point anyway. Does it matter how fast smeone can field strip their pistol?

Chuck R.
March 10, 2007, 11:11 PM
Being from Leavenworth I imagine you're LEO or Corrections

Nope, but you left out the big one in Leavenworth..........Army, well retired Army now.

Don't sweat it, I figured it was just a misunderstanding. IF you do get over this way, drop me a line. I own my own range and we can get out a put a few hundred rounds downrange. Nothing like clanging steel to clear a guys head.

Chuck

CrawdaddyJim
March 10, 2007, 11:27 PM
Bought a SIG P-220 today as a matter of fact. Stopped in and held and fondled a

1911 Rock Island

Fit my hand nicely. OK finish on pistol. ROUGH trigger (maybe just that gun). $495

Glock 20? Way too fat and short for my hands. Other wise I liked it.
$629 used in very good shape.

Springfield XD-45 Tactical. Nice gun with very little negatives except it would not fit well in my hands. I couldn't reach the slide release with my shooting hand. And I am kind of spooked by the "It has to go back to the factory for any repairs" except for aftermarket springs. $549 nib

Kimber. I just wanted to fondle it as it is waaaaay too far for my wallet to reach it. Nice feel and smooth trigger and slide tight.
$1195 nib

SIG P-220. Felt even better than the 1911. Pointed naturally for me. Trigger was really nice both DA and SA. The only negative for me with this model is the single stack magazine but with my hands it probably wouldn't fit if it was a double stack. I will just have to get used to carrying multiple magazines.
$625 nib

Poohgyrr
March 11, 2007, 01:34 AM
1911, hands down. The P220 grip isn't bad, but that pistol just does not shot nearly as well for me. And I understand Sig has finally fixed the cracking problem, which is good.

The two Kimbers I've shot were both free of problems. Dittos for an ORM Colt 1991 GM. And I'm glad to hear so many people praising Baers, and no one having any problems. I just bought a Baer TRS and so far, WOW!! And that bushing wrench is absolutely needed....

To be honest, I'd rather have a S&W TDA .45 than a Sig TDA .45.

Yup. Between P220 and 1911, it is 1911.

But, at least we are discussing .45s... :)

Dobe
March 11, 2007, 01:29 PM
1911, although the SIG is a nice choice.

vanilla_gorilla
March 11, 2007, 08:42 PM
I liked my 220ST so much that I traded it for the "other" SA wonder, the High Power.

2 1911's, a BHP, but didn't feel the need to keep either of my Sigs. :p I appreciate the trigger and and feel of a 1911, and a DA/SA Sig just can't match it. Beyond that, I'm on my third Springfield 1911 now, and all three have been more reliable than my 220ST. (the 226 NEVER bobbled)

smokin'n gun
March 12, 2007, 06:06 PM
Shot both.
Like both.

Have two P220's.

Sold my 1911

Will probably get another, maybe after a P226R in .357
:banghead:
Bet my life on a gun? Not likely.

probably favor the Sig.

pablo45
March 12, 2007, 09:21 PM
I have 3 sig p220's and i love them. Probably because i am not a 1911 fan i would much rather carry something i like instead of what i everyone else likes.

Redhat
March 12, 2007, 11:46 PM
So Pablo,

Are you saying the Sig is a gun everyone else doesn't like:scrutiny:

jlh26oo
March 13, 2007, 02:39 AM
So Pablo,

Are you saying the Sig is a gun everyone else doesn't like

He's just saying that he bases his criteria for choosing on what he likes, rather than what someone does or doesn't (not that sig is unpopular- his point is popularity is irrelevant vs personal preference).

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig220 Vs. Colt1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!