Cobray mac-11 value? open vs closed bolt?

PDA

boredelmo
March 7, 2007, 11:15 PM
I inhereted one of these things from my father and just isnt my cup of tea.

Its the smaller version in .380.

I might be looking to get rid of it but i dont have a good gauge in value.

also how can i tell if it is an open bolt or closed bolt gun?

-Elmer

If you enjoyed reading about "Cobray mac-11 value? open vs closed bolt?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FIFTYGUY
March 7, 2007, 11:38 PM
also how can i tell if it is an open bolt or closed bolt gun?

1. Remove the magazine and make sure the gun is completely unloaded. This is *especially* important when dealing with an open-bolt gun.

2. Pull the bolt as far back as it will go, and release it. If it stays "open", then make sure the safety is off and pull the trigger hard. If the bolt then slams forward, you have an open-bolt gun. This will also be evidenced by a fixed firing pin protruding from the bolt face, even with the bolt cocked back.

3. If the bolt did NOT stay back when you cocked it in step 2, then pulling the trigger (again making sure the safety is off) should result in an audible "click" as the firing pin strikes forward.

Since you may just inherited the thing and you may not know much about it, it may be worthwhile to check to see if it is a machinegun. If it's a machinegun, it will almost certainly be open-bolt. So if you cock the bolt and pull the trigger, and HOLD the trigger ALL THE WAY BACK, a machinegun will allow you to pull the bolt back and forth, but it won't "catch" in the open position until you release the trigger.

It's worth noting that on the "pre-ban" open-bolt semi-auto (non-machinegun) M11's, inserting something as simple as a pencil stub behind the trigger prevented the trigger from "resetting", and thus effectively converted it to full-auto. This is why they stopped making the "open-bolt" semis. BTW, this same trick works on the machineguns when their selector switch is in "semi".

Another giveaway for a machinegun (or short-barrelled rifle) is the presence of a stock. Usually this telescopes into the receiver, with the wire butt then folded over.

In any case, if it's an open-bolt gun be very careful shooting it. Close the bolt before inserting a loaded magazine, and carefully cock it. These little MACs were made as cheaply as possible, and are notorious for letting the bolt come forward at the worst possible times. Once the bolt comes forward, it will strip a round out of the magazine, chamber it, and fire it as soon as it is fully chambered. It's easy to jar the bolt if you insert a loaded magazine with the bolt open, and then the bolt is free to fly forward and fire.

Zero_DgZ
March 8, 2007, 10:33 AM
I've seen the open-bolters go for about 450 used here and there, when they crop up. Apparently there are about twelve different variants all with different markings (but otherwise identical operation) and depending on the roll marks it could be worth up to 1200 bucks to the right person. Go figure.

armoredman
March 8, 2007, 12:20 PM
Question - didn't ATFE reclassify the open bolt semi MACs as NFA firearms some time ago?

1KPerDay
March 8, 2007, 02:14 PM
To check if it's a full-auto, you can also look for a rotating semi-full selector switch on the receiver.;)

BTW, can you belive Amazon sells this?

http://www.amazon.com/Full-Auto-Cobray-Conversion-Manual/dp/B000EO9Z3U

Zero_DgZ
March 8, 2007, 02:24 PM
Question - didn't ATFE reclassify the open bolt semi MACs as NFA firearms some time ago?

I don't think so, but they did essentially outlaw the manufacture/sale/importation of any new ones because of how easily they could be converted to full auto.

Considering I see them at gun shows all the time, no NFA paperwork involved.

gezzer
March 8, 2007, 09:20 PM
Open bolt semi's will creep over the $1000 mark on auction sites on the internet.

TRIGGER51B
March 24, 2007, 10:53 PM
The M-11 380 OB generaly are over $1000. they are the rarest of the semi OB's They were made by RPB.

cuervo
March 25, 2007, 12:52 AM
BTW, can you belive Amazon sells this?

http://www.amazon.com/Full-Auto-Cobr.../dp/B000EO9Z3U

Funny how there isn't a review of this book. You think someone would have bought the book, tried it, and posted how good the book is, sharing the knowledge for all to know. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Cobray mac-11 value? open vs closed bolt?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!