What is "Remanufactured" ammunition ?

PDA

Greg8098
March 7, 2007, 10:56 PM
Cabela's is selling this stuff and the price doesn't seem too bad. What is remanufactured ammo, and is it really worth the price and time ???

If you enjoyed reading about "What is "Remanufactured" ammunition ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911user
March 7, 2007, 11:06 PM
commercially reloaded ammo

SUBMOAS
March 7, 2007, 11:19 PM
Once fired/used brass that a maufacturer has reloaded.
Hopefully:
1. Risized
2. Trimmed to lenght
3. Primmer pocket reamed/swaged and cleaned
4. Brass cleaned

ChrisGarrett
March 8, 2007, 06:21 PM
Hello,

I've seen say...tracer rounds in Cheaper Than Dirt's catalog where they've demilled them, removing the military powder from MilSurp rounds and then just rebuilding them with commercial powder. Also, Black Hills is probably the biggest and perhaps the first big commercial ammo maker to use 'used' brass in their budget line, blue box I think?

Now, everybody and their dead grandmothers are making ammo.

Chris

cracked butt
March 9, 2007, 09:56 PM
I don't know about what Cabela's carries now but I bought a 5oord lot of remanufactured 9mm from Cabela's that had mixed brass, was very dirty, and wasn't very accurate. I also bought remanufactured 9mm elsewhere (not the same brband or remanufacturer) that kaboomed my pistol. I avoid remanufactured ammuntion like the plague now.

Shipwreck
March 9, 2007, 11:16 PM
I never shoot reloads after I bulged a Glock 17 barrel in 1995. And, I would avoid remanufactured ammo too/

bakert
March 10, 2007, 12:31 AM
I bought a few boxes of .38Sp a few years ago. First time and last!!:o

mc223
March 10, 2007, 01:22 AM
I have used remanufactured Ultramax 223 from Cabelas, with no problems. Shoots pretty good too. It is built on Lake City brass.
I have also used 38 super remanufactured from Precision. Also good stuff.

scrat
March 10, 2007, 11:41 AM
I never shoot reloads after I bulged a Glock 17 barrel in 1995. And, I would avoid remanufactured ammo too/

You never shoot reloads. and your posting in a handloading and reloading forum. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

g56
March 12, 2007, 03:26 PM
Unless they have changed it lately, Cabela's was using Ultramax for their reloaded ammo, remanufactured is simply a pretty word for reloaded.

Ultramax isn't that great, on AR15.com they have the Ammunition Review & Reference, it takes reports from actual users of the product and compiles them in an easy to read format, the best at the top of the list, Ultramax rates near the bottom of the list, it was bad enough that 19% of the people who tried it had enough trouble that they won't buy it again!

Here's the link:
http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=210

mc223
March 12, 2007, 11:11 PM
I ordered the special Ultramax from Cabelas and actually shot it before I passed along hearsay from AR15.com. It shot pretty good.

pax
March 12, 2007, 11:13 PM
Black Hills' blue box ammo is decent stuff. Never had a problem with it.

pax

g56
March 13, 2007, 12:56 AM
I ordered the special Ultramax from Cabelas and actually shot it before I passed along hearsay from AR15.com.

OK, here's some actual photo proof of "hearsay", hint: this doesn't show good quality control on Ultramax part.

http://www.wingman26.com/images/shooting/Ultramax-ammo-1A.jpg

http://www.wingman26.com/images/shooting/Ultramax-ammo-2A.jpg

They don't just make this stuff up out of thin air......

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=319431

cracked butt
March 14, 2007, 08:42 AM
You never shoot reloads. and your posting in a handloading and reloading forum

There is something to be said about "never shoot someone else' reloads in your gun."

Remanufactured ammo = someone else's reloads.

There's a big difference between factory ammunition where there is a high level of quality control, and someone who has an automated progressive press set up in their garage and a FFL that allows them to sell their ammo.

DWARREN123
March 14, 2007, 11:48 AM
Like new factory ammo, got to know who makes it. Some is very good, most good and some is trash.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is "Remanufactured" ammunition ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!