ladys revolver?

PDA

fighterthiefmage
March 8, 2007, 01:15 PM
Looking for opinions for wifes carry. Thinking something on the lighter side but don't want recoil to be a factor during practice. It will probaly not be worn so weight may not be a big issue. As far as caliber probaly .38 with +p option would be enough. .357 as well but would practice with .38 most of the time for recoil as well. For a novice shooter I think I would prefer an external hammer. Smith and Taurus models? Much of the above is just speculation with what I think I know. I am pretty much an auto guy and don't know much in this area.

If you enjoyed reading about "ladys revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
g5reality
March 8, 2007, 02:47 PM
Lady smith or 642 or 442. light weight .357 will have heavy recoil.

If looking for a semi auto pistol, many choices. check out this article from handguns magazine on CCW guns:

http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/concarry_022707/

Helpfull article

ugaarguy
March 8, 2007, 02:57 PM
Let your wife choose. Her's a great article from THR Moderator Pax' website http://www.corneredcat.com/ForMen/BuyForWife.htm. Her site is full of other great info for shooters of all experience levels. Shoot her a PM if you or your wife need more help or advice

loplop
March 8, 2007, 08:24 PM
I agree about letting your *wife* choose. It will work out better, trust me.

As far as guiding her, I'd guide her towards something heavier rather than lighter; her instinct will be to grab the "cute" and light ones, which as you know, will be more painful to shoot.

I would not hand a 442 or 642 to someone who doesn't want "recoil to be an issue."

fighterthiefmage
March 9, 2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks ugaarguy, that is an intersting link.

Pistol Toter
March 9, 2007, 02:50 PM
She has to pick it out, it must suite your wife!! Just remember, as it has already been said, lighter guns kick like a mule. She needs to be familiar with how the guns reacts while loaded with the magnum loads, so she will need to practice with them also. My choice would be and is a Ruger SP101, but she may not like it. My wife went gahgah over a S&W m-36. My daughter-in-law prefers a GLOCK model 22 which is .40. My daughter as a young teen was not afraid to pick up a 12 ga double SxS and shoot it. So all women aren't the same. You get my point?

ugarrguy, That is DANDY article!!

Bear41mag
March 9, 2007, 04:58 PM
While still dating, my now wife wanted to get into shooting handguns more. So asked if I would take her out.

I lined up the following

ruger 22/45 .22 lr
Taurus 94 4" 22 revolver
Smith 36 3" .38
Smith 19 2.5 " .357
Smith 696 .44 spl 3"
Smith 29 .44 mag 4"
Ruger Redhawk 44 mag 5.5"

East German 9mm MAK
Glock 19 9mm
Sig Sauer 228 9mm
Springfield 1911 Loaded .45 acp

Told her to start with the .22 to get comfortable and took her thru the basics. She then proceed to shoot 3 cylinders/mags out of each of the others. (.38's and .44 specials only at this point, no magnum loads)

Really liked the Glock, but then got to my beloved 1911. They went together like beer and brats. She handled it well, shot it well, and after a couple boxes of ammo, she was getting pretty good. Funny thing is before we left she wanted to shoot full house .44 mags out of the Smith and Ruger, 250 Keith loads out of the 29 and my 310 grain LBT hunting load out of the Redhawk. She got this loving look into her eyes and a big smile on her face before I was able to get them away from her. Needless to say that the 1911 quickly became "her" gun and was no longer trading fodder if the need arouse.

Did the same thing with 7 different rifles that year for deer hunting and after a day at the range I lost my Marlin LTD VI Octagon Barreled 45/70 to her.

Moral of the story, only let her shoot what you don't want to lose, but let her shot as much as you can, as many different guns as you can, as much as she wants and let her decide.

koja48
March 9, 2007, 05:33 PM
Was faced with this scenario twice. I guided,but let both ladies make their own decision; an old girlfriend opted for a Lady Smith, my Daughter, for a full-size 1911 (Lord, I LOVE that girl . . . made her Daddy proud & she CAN SHOOT!).

GRIZ22
March 10, 2007, 02:15 AM
I'd suggest a S&W 640 if you don't want to go bigger than a j frame. Yes it weighs more and that weight will absorb that +P recoil. Lightweight guns are much harder to shoot and scare a lot of new shooters. I know a woman who you don't want to take on with her 640 that tried a 642 and called it painful.

rjk2475
March 10, 2007, 10:24 AM
3" s&w model 13

chipp
March 10, 2007, 11:05 AM
My wife weighs 95 lbs and isn't strong for her size. She has never shot before.
Every hand gun i handed her, 1st Handed her sp101, you would think i gave her a brick. she even said my p-22 was too heavey.

Of course when i handed her my 340pd a big smile came to her face.

I recently purchased a 351pd S&W 22mag. The recoil is fine in my opinion.
little did I think of this, She can't operate it in double action. She can operate my 340pd in double action. (which I'm not recomending by the way)
If I let my wife shoot that, it will be her first and last time shooting.

hopefully your wife has good hand strength

I'm sending the 351 to S&W to get it lightened a little. Being a 22. they can't lighten it much as in needs to hit the 22 ammo hard.

Of course poeple are going to say forget 22s. I'd rather my wife with a 22mag than a can of mase.
Its going to be a long road for us. hopefully easier for you.

colubrid
March 10, 2007, 02:27 PM
3" K frame S&W's. I think the 65 Lady Smith is the best balanced handgun Smith makes. Some people have a problem stuffing a Lady Smith down their pants and would rather have a "man" Smith.:)

Professor K
March 10, 2007, 03:17 PM
Take her to the gun store, and let her pick it out. She may want like a .22 mousegun, or she may want like a .500 S&W or something crazy, but since it's her gun, she needs to pick it out.

Jkwas
March 10, 2007, 03:26 PM
My wife just recently picked out a nice 1982 model 36 square butt. Up until now she has been an Auto shooter, but wanted something more compact for the purse. She loads it with 110gn standard pressure hydrashocks. The deal maker for her was the smooth trigger action. She can't barely pull the trigger on my taurus 605 but that old smith was nice and broken in. She shoots it real well also. Whatever she ends up with, make sure she practices with it. As other posters have said, it's all up to her.

Cosmoline
March 10, 2007, 03:31 PM
The whole "lady's gun" thing is a crock of marketing hogwash. The "ladysmiths," for example, are just dressed up M36's with a higher pricetag. It totally depends on what feels comfortable in hand, whether the shooter is male or female. The only way to know is to get your hands on the items, and preferably shoot them.

CA357
March 10, 2007, 03:55 PM
I made the mistake of buying a Glock 19 for my wife. She had insisted on an automatic and I thought it fit the bill. Well, she can shoot it okay, but can't rack the slide and mechanically it's not working for her. BIG mistake on my part. (Cool part is I got a Glock 19 out of the deal ;) )
Next time, I brought her to the shop. She checked out the SP101 and the S&W 60. She had problems with the Ruger trigger, but the 60 was "just right". It's now her HD weapon at her bedside. It's loaded with Federal .38 110gr HydraShocks.
The funny thing is that she originally insisted on an automatic and I wanted her to have a wheel gun. We've been married long enough that I know how to dummy up when necessary. Anyway, I got a pretty nice Glock out of the deal.

ArchAngelCD
March 10, 2007, 05:19 PM
"Number One" Let your wife choose her own gun. (as many have already said)

"Number Two" A short barrel gun is harder to shoot well than a 4" or 6" Model.

"Number Three" If you are looking for a .38 Sp +P and weight isn't a concern them I recommend the S&W Model 649. That's their Stainless Steel Bodyguard Model which has a shrouded hammer but still allows SA shooting. The Model 638 is lighter (15 oz) but the recoil will be felt more. She might not like that too much.

sansone
March 10, 2007, 05:30 PM
+1 for ladysmith, also small frame .357 might scare her (does me):what:

If you enjoyed reading about "ladys revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!