Question About Glocks

PDA

haybaler
March 8, 2007, 06:32 PM
I tried to register on glocktalk.com but they won't let me...something about "you may not register on this site with an open proxy connection". I have no idea what that means.

Here is my question for all of the Glock fans on THR. I'm used to having external safeties either on my 1911, Beretta 92, and Ruger P90 and MkI. I would like to get a Glock because they are so simple and reliable but how do I get comfortable with carrying one loaded without worrying about something snagging the trigger. I hear a lot about ND's or AD's when reholstering because sometimes we all have little brain lapses and aren't paying enough attention. Sometimes I'll grab a gun and stick it in my pocket or waistband. Can this be safely done with a Glock? I imagine this has been covered before but I'm fairly new here and haven't had time to search all the threads.

Thank you.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question About Glocks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
briansp82593
March 8, 2007, 06:36 PM
you can buy a manual safety if you dont feel safe with one as is

Baphomet
March 8, 2007, 06:40 PM
I tried to register on glocktalk.com but they won't let me...something about "you may not register on this site with an open proxy connection". I have no idea what that means.
Are you trying to register from a computer at your workplace? If so, that's the problem; your network is using a proxy server.

haybaler
March 8, 2007, 06:50 PM
I'm trying to register from my home computer but maybe it has something to do with my wireless internet connection. I'm not a computer person. It's really no big deal. I think all of you at THR and a couple of other forums I have recently joined can answer all my questions.

universal
March 8, 2007, 06:58 PM
I don't know if I can provide you with an answer but I will give you my opinion. Part of the simplicity of the Glock is the lack of a manual safety. If you feel you need a weapon with a manual safety, I suggest you consider another brand. As long as you keep you finger (or other objects) off the trigger, the Glock is perfectly safe to carry. I will, however, admit that I would not like to carry one without a holster.

Ragnar Danneskjold
March 8, 2007, 07:02 PM
If the simplicity and reliability of the Glock is the only reason you want to get one, you might want to look elsewhere. There are plenty of other semi-autos out there that are just as reliable and tough as a Glock, and many of them have safeties. If you haven't already, check out the HK USP. It comes in many varying trigger/safety styles as well as right-handed/left-handed variations. I'm positive you could find one that's right for you. SIG is also known for tough-as-nails reliability, and some of theirs also have satisfies.

Sorry I don't have anything to actually add to the thread concerning the Glock itself. I can't stand them, one of the reasons even being their lack of any real safety device.

CountGlockula
March 8, 2007, 07:26 PM
Besides the three safety features of the Glock, there is a Loaded Chamber Indicator located on the extractor. This helps to know if you have a loaded round in the chamber or not.

SDC
March 8, 2007, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't "Mexican Carry" with ANY gun, let alone a Glock; if you want a pocket pistol, get a heavy DA like a Keltec or PPK.

karz10
March 8, 2007, 08:00 PM
Before buying my first gun, a G19, I considered this extensively, as a new carrier/owner, I think it's less of an issue, compared to someone used to the safety (external/manual). Although some say the pull trigger go bang is safest under fire, but there are plenty of debate threads on that subject.

The things that stood out to me, in my own thoughts, or reading other's posts..

* As someone already said, HOLSTER, doesn't matter what kind as much as the fact it covers the trigger. If you put it in your pocket w/out a holster, I wouldn't often, but make sure nothing else in there, still strongly recommend a holster, I've been shopping for several types, and found many viable options. And I don't think most Glocks for most people are preferred pocket carry, the subcompacts (like the 26) could fit in a large pocket on a larger person. I can put my 19 in my jeans pocket, but it doesn't seem viable to carry that way, but I have baggy jeans and am 6'1" 275#, can't see putting it in my dress slacks at all. The 26 might go in a pocket hoster, but I'd bet I'd still lean towards an IWB tuckable, wear it open w/ cover, or tuck it when needed, but again, that's just me.

* PRACTICE, practicing empty, or loaded at a range, drawing and holstering, should help a lot, w/ motor skills to use the weapon, as well as engraining safety oriented handling in the process, since you're in a controlled environment. I've been thinking of doing local IDPA practice events, since my ranges won't let me draw or reholster, unless participating in a supervised event like this.

* Loaded/not chambered, I've chosen to do this for a yet to be determined period of time. If I'm going to put it in the car for a specific reason, I may chamber a round, but when I'm around the house, and handling the gun a lot, I've been leaving the chamber empty, as a result of someone's post in another thread. They recommended for a period of time, whatever one was comfortable with, carrying w/ empty chamber for a month, or whatever makes you feel good, to make sure you are as safe as you need to be, before carrying w/ one chambered. That made sense to me, I mean, I don't usually take curves at high speed or slam on the brakes in a new car in real-world situations right away, if I can help it, I get used to the car first and test it out, and how we react to each other, trying its limits and mine under intentional controlled environments, so I know how I'll act, and how it will act in a spontaneous situation.

I don't have my CCW yet, so I can't carry it outside the house anyway, unless it's in the car. I felt better allowing myself that extra barrier, until I'm more trained and practiced w/ the weapon, w/ the goal of confidently having one in the chamber ASAP consistently, but that's just me. You may decide if you like that idea at all, to do it for a few days or a week, and not as long as me, but you get the idea.

Hope that helps. I think I would probably do all of the above regardless of what weapon I was carrying, especially since despite being around guns, this is the first one I've owned 24/7, so I think these are just good ideas regardless, but at least one item has more relevance to the Glock, imo, but still good to do something to get used to any weapon...

Karz

briansp82593
March 8, 2007, 08:00 PM
add kahr to that list... the pull of the trigger is long and cocks the striker

Nomad, 2nd
March 8, 2007, 08:19 PM
I would NOT carry a Glock in something other than a holster which covered the trigger.

Once you have got a good holster, carry it with an empty chamber around the house... if the trigger gets pulled it will stay to the rear.

Once you see that this will not happen... you should be fine.

g5reality
March 8, 2007, 08:32 PM
Hope you don't mind I posted your question on the Glock club thread. Come hear what Gock fans have to say.

I think they're great:

how do I get comfortable with carrying one loaded without worrying about something snagging the trigger.

karz10, has some good answers to your questions.

Cokeman
March 9, 2007, 06:05 AM
Glock+holster=you're fine

If there was a safety problem with carrying a loaded Glock, officers everywhere would be shooting their foot off.

fattsgalore
March 9, 2007, 06:40 AM
For your computer problems, I have no clue.

A weapon without a safety is just a nervous weapon. Or shall i say makes me nervous. It's not just Glock, for me it's all of these striker fired weapons. Sig's don't have a safety but I wouldn't bring them into this category since people also never mention the fact revolvers don't have safties.

Most people I know to own a weapon that could be carried 1911 style ed and locked don't carry this way. I don't antisapte so much trouble that I couldn't drop a safety or pull back a hammer.

Most Glock guys get over it but I've never warmed up to the Idea of a loaded Glock in my pants.(I carry at the 12:30 to 1:30 postion right next to my boys) Read my signature it's a true statement. My next carry piece is going to probally be a Stoeger Cougar. Almost anything with a manual safety and hammer thats reasonably priced.

Cokeman
March 9, 2007, 06:59 AM
The Stoeger Cougar looks cool, but it's 7 inches long. If I buy something to carry besides my Glock, I want it to be smaller. They need to make a sub.

Bix
March 9, 2007, 10:21 AM
but how do I get comfortable with carrying one loaded without worrying about something snagging the trigger

1. Purchase a high quality holster designed for your gun.

2. Obtain competent, qualified initial instruction in the defensive use of your gun.

3. Supplement your initial instruction with regular practice and ongoing training.

ID_shooting
March 9, 2007, 10:26 AM
As a Glock owner I trained my self, finger down the side of the frame. If I don't feel the take-down "button" with my finger tip I know somthing is wrong.

I carry with a Fobus paddle

GRIZ22
March 9, 2007, 11:20 AM
Mexican carry (shoving the pistol in your belt) is dangerous with any pistol. Take a 1911 with the grip safety pinned (as many do), a 3 lb trigger, and the possibility of the safety being inadvertently moved to off and you are in a more dangerous situation than with a Glock. A holster isn't only a pouch to carry your pistol but a safety device as well.

The agency I retired from went to Glocks with an 8LB trigger about 10 years ago. DA revolvers and DA and DAO autos are also authorized. There has been ADs, NDs, UIDs, or whatever you want to call them with every type of action except Glock. Zero problems in this area. 60-70% of the LE agencies in the US are using Glocks. If they were that dangerous I'm sure they would be using something else.

If the lack of a safety bothers you buy something you're more comfortable with.

GeorgiaGlocker
March 9, 2007, 11:35 AM
I had the same concern that you did at first. I carried mine unchambered for a while. When I realized that it would not fire unless I pulled the trigger, I began carrying with one in the chamber. You will get use to it. Many Glockers go through the same experience. You will too. I now have three Glocks and have never had a problem. I always carry chambered. And I always follow the 4 basic safety rules of handling a firearm. Good luck.

Green Lantern
March 9, 2007, 11:37 AM
EDIT - I'll see if I can check out the proxy server whatchamacallit thing for you at GT.

Can't help the "technical" problems...but I can with your main concern:

What helped me get over the worries of an AD was carrying the gun without a round in the chamber. Then inspect it at the end of each day to see that the trigger is NOT pulled back. :cool:

Note I said AD for accidental discharge - "the gun going off." This is different than a ND, NEGLIGENT discharge, where the shooter is touching the trigger at ANY time other than preparing to fire...!

IMO, the Glock is a double-edged blade. A great gun to learn safe handling - IE "keep your booger hook of the boom button till ya NEED it to go boom!" But also not very "forgiving" of careless handling! :what:

Ken Rainey
March 9, 2007, 03:24 PM
I've mexican carried 1911's, BHPs, snub nose revos, and Glocks for many years without problem...if you know your weapon and are mindful of it, you'll not have a problem...This is not to say that an inside the pant holster shouldn't be used..one with a good fit is a pleasure to wear but a cheap one that doesn't is aggravating. Negligent discharges happen when people are NEGLIGENT in their handling.

You can increase the trigger pull of your Glock with a NY1 trigger spring, if you also add a 3.5 lb connector, you'll be right back at the same amount of pressure it takes to release the firing pin but the take up has resistance throughout the pull - sort of like a revolver. Without the connector, it'll be about an 8 lb pull, again with resistance throughout the pull...depends on what you like but the parts aren't expensive and it's easy to do and undo if you want.

All that said, there is a company that will put a thumb safety on your Glock, Cominolie or something like that, can't remember the spelling...I thought about it but decided against it...when carried as a concealed weapon an external safety isn't needed for a Glock...I only prefer external safety for outside (duty) carry - 1911 ;)

Ken

Lonestar.45
March 9, 2007, 04:19 PM
If you don't feel comfortable carrying without an external safety, then you probably shouldn't.

That said, I used to be the same way and got used to carrying my Glock with just training training training to keep your finger OFF the trigger. That, and I ALWAYS use a holster. I know some folks carry mexican style or without a holster in the pocket, but no way would I do that with any gun, especially a Glock.

A good holster and finger control, that's what it took for me to get comfortable with it, now it's no problem.

I'm still not professional enough to carry a Glock FO-TAY, but I try my best.

whatbrick
March 9, 2007, 04:30 PM
Cominolli Product Page (http://www.cominolli.com/ourproducts.html)

There is also a thread here at THR that discusses it: Cominolli Discussion (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=111065)

My brother installed one of these on his Glock 21. It worked but he didn't leave it on since Glocks are perfectly safe without it. If you want a Glock but absolutely feel safer with an external safety then go for it. However if an external safety is a must for you then I would also consider other manufacturers.

Onmilo
March 10, 2007, 07:06 PM
"Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to send a bullet downrange and have engaged your target."
The trigger safety makes it extremely difficult to snag the trigger and induce an accidental discharge.
There were some holster designs marketed with retention devices that locked the gun to the holster through the trigger guard and these could induce a Glock to AD but the manufacturer made alterations that prevent this from happening any longer.

I do not personally know of any accidental discharges of Glock pistols caused by foreign objects snagging the trigger through the guard and defeating the trigger safety enough to allow the trigger to release.
All the accidental discharges that I know of could be traced to the operator having a finger in the guard and on the trigger at the wrong time.

.cheese.
March 10, 2007, 07:17 PM
all of my pistols (4) are Glocks. A 5th is soon to be added.

Glocks don't have the kind of safety feature you're used to, but there are internal safeties.

Bear in mind, something snagging the trigger by the side won't set off a Glock. The center safety bar has to be depressed for the trigger to actually be used.

I know we all have brain-fart moments, but I feel perfectly safe with my Glock holstering and unholstering it. You just get used to the feeling of making sure your finger is not on the bang-switch.

A good holster + good safety practices = you'll be fine

rudolf
March 10, 2007, 08:58 PM
If you feel you need a safety on a revolver, you also want one on a Glock.
If you carry your DA revolver with an empty chamber, you need to do that with a Glock.
If you think you need an aftermarket steel frame with a grip safety for your Glock, you need a 1911.
If you don't belong to the above, you'll be happy your Glock only has a trigger, and goes bang when you pull it.

haybaler
March 11, 2007, 12:02 PM
Thank you for all your responses. I've been shooting handguns for 25 years, mostly for tin can hunting and other shooting fun. I'm so used to a revolver with a heavy DA trigger or traditional SA or DA/SA autos with safeties it's hard to get the mindset for an auto w/o a traditional safety. I can see it's just a matter of getting used to it.

Someone made a comment about a loaded chamber indicator. I think they are a bad idea that can be dangerous. As far as I'm concerned any gun whose chamber is closed is loaded. "Treat all guns as if they are loaded". Isn't that the rule? If you get used to using a loaded chamber indicator isn't it possible that could promote a dangerous gun handling practice. After an ND you would think, "Gee, it said it was empty". What are your thoughts?

karz10
March 12, 2007, 02:43 AM
If you get used to using a loaded chamber indicator isn't it possible that could promote a dangerous gun handling practice. After an ND you would think, "Gee, it said it was empty". What are your thoughts?

I'm sure any feature or safety can be misused and lead to improper handling.

For me, I was pleasantly surprised to get the LCI on my Glock, the ones I looked at before did not have one, or it wasn't exaplained to me, so when I received mine, I was suprised, but glad it had one.

What the LCI means to me. I don't look at it as a way to tell if the chamber's empty. If I'm going to handle the gun, let alone show it to anyone else, I'm going to remove the magazine, and open/empty the chamber, I haven't even been checking the LCI for that, or I should say I wasn't relying on it for that.

I've used the LCI to make sure it's loaded, not make sure it's empty, if that makes sense. Like, so far in practicing, or handling the gun in a tactically planning fashion. Drawing the weapon, or removing it from it's home, and moving about the house or whatever, still observing the 4 rules in the process. So if I imagined that there was a perceived threat where I have to remove the weapon, and pretending that I had stored or carried the weapon w/ one in the chamber, I check the LCI to make sure there's one in there, assuming that it's dark, or I can't take my eyes off my surroundings, etc., so that if I had to use it, I wouldn't be surprised w/ a click.

Whereas in general handling, I see no reason why you shouldn't manually check to ensure it's empty, but as you stated, you still treat it as if it's loaded, right?

Anyway, that's the logic I was using regarding the LCI, I'm sure others may have varying opinions...and I agree, you shouldn't take anything for granted

Regards,

Karz

If you enjoyed reading about "Question About Glocks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!