Top 5 Upgrades for Glock

PDA

SecondAmend
March 9, 2007, 03:05 AM
So what are the top upgrades folks do to their various Glocks?

If you enjoyed reading about "Top 5 Upgrades for Glock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
g5reality
March 9, 2007, 03:13 AM
Stop by the Glock Club thread and I'm sure you'll hear alot.

I upgraded toa Storm Lake Barrel with opposit rifling to the OEM barrel, reduced the trigger pull with a #3.5 to feel more like my 1911. You can also add any light and laser to the rail, add reduced recoil spring and many other enhancements. Check out Glockworld.com.

Stinkyshoe
March 9, 2007, 03:15 AM
1) night sights
2) 3.5# disconnector
3) lighter firing pin spring (for competition only)
4) +2 floor plates
5) grip reduction

IMO, #1,#4,#5 are most important....

Ss

Black Majik
March 9, 2007, 03:21 AM
1) ammo
2) ammo
3) ammo
4) ammo
5) ammo

Stinkyshoe
March 9, 2007, 03:29 AM
Oh and Blackmajic makes a good point too...

g5reality
March 9, 2007, 03:30 AM
Please come join other Glock aficionado's at:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=260783

Ken Rainey
March 9, 2007, 03:35 AM
You can change the sights if you want, some trigger pulls are just right from the factory, if not, a little polishing here and there helps a lot or some people install the "3.5 lb" connector to reduce the trigger break some, it's subjective...other than that, it's like Black Majik said, ammo, ammo, ammo !

As a general rule, they run most reliably on factory parts...a different guide rod or sights are ok but changing out springs or connectors for aftermarket parts may or may not work well....it's easy to take a perfectly reliable Glock and with the wrong combination of parts make it very unreliable....no offense to aftermarket Glock parts manufacturers intended :)

I recommend shooting it as it is for several hundred rounds before making a decision to do anything to it - 'cept sights maybe.....give yourself time to learn the gun and you may find that you're perfectly happy with it the way it is! ;)

SecondAmend
March 9, 2007, 03:44 AM
Night sights and a light/laser attachment will probably be the first two things on my list. Any recommendations? Anyone have any experience with the internal laser?

Geronimo45
March 9, 2007, 03:46 AM
Top upgrades for a Glock:
1. Spare mags.
2. Adjust trigger.
3. Sell Glock.
4. Buy 1911:evil:
Crimson Trace has lasergrips - never heard a bad thing about 'em. I think the Lasermax units can and have broken in some instances.

SecondAmend
March 9, 2007, 03:53 AM
3. Sell Glock.
4. Buy 1911

That was below the belt.
:what:

Cokeman
March 9, 2007, 06:12 AM
g5reality

I upgraded toa Storm Lake Barrel with opposit rifling to the OEM barrel

What is the purpose of the opposite rifling? Different direction or rate of twist?

TheWanderer
March 9, 2007, 06:04 PM
3. Sell Glock.
4. Buy 1911
:barf:

I sold 1911s, bought Glock. I will NEVER, EVER, EVER!!! own ANY 1911 again, PERIOD.

The only upgrades for my Glock were night sights and ammo.

pablo45
March 9, 2007, 06:06 PM
I am personally not a 1:barf: 11 man. I prefer the best that is why i stay with my glock's and hk's. !911 is way to high priced the maintenance is more than i want to deal with. The grip for me has no purpose and the single stacked mag's are not enough for me. I think 1911's are way too over rated. I can buy 2 glock's that will last way longer than any 1911 for the same price of one.

TheWanderer
March 9, 2007, 06:08 PM
I'm with you Pablo45. If I had a better job, I'd add some more Glocks, along with HK's to my collection.

CountGlockula
March 9, 2007, 06:09 PM
I'd add night sights if it didn't come with them.

lee n. field
March 9, 2007, 06:48 PM
http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php

:D

GunNut
March 9, 2007, 08:13 PM
1. Night sights
2. Magazines
3. Holster
4. Ammo
5. Handgun Course

Lately I bought a Colt 1991A1 and really liked it, that is until I picked up a Glock 21 earlier this week. The Glock feels so much better, that i'm already planning on the Colt going to a new home.:neener:

9x19
March 9, 2007, 08:19 PM
1. Night sights

2. 3.5 lb connector

3. Factory extended slide release

4. Magazines

5. Ammo

TheWanderer
March 9, 2007, 09:01 PM
I'll never own an XD either. I tried one, didn't like it at all.
The grip safety is completely unnecessary. To me, it's just a useless excess piece hanging on the gun that does not need to be there. If the XD did not have that, I might consider one.

outofbattery
March 9, 2007, 09:05 PM
It's all personal preference but the mods that have made me enjoy Glocks more have been in order of importance: NY-1 + .3.5 connector,extended slide lock lever ( take down),Pierce baseplate to fill in divot for G19,new front sight.

Heavy Metal Hero
March 9, 2007, 09:19 PM
3. Sell Glock.
4. Buy SIG

Much better.

10-Ring
March 9, 2007, 09:26 PM
Over the years, I've learned the only thing I needed to buy for my Glock is ammo :D

JaxNovice
March 9, 2007, 09:26 PM
Upgrading a glock is as simple as asking the store clerk to see the XD under the glass.

conan
March 9, 2007, 10:06 PM
3 & 1/2# connector and other sights and you are good to go.

briansp82593
March 9, 2007, 10:56 PM
night sights-triji's
mags + 2 glock ext
ext slide release-glock factory
threaded barrel-jarivs
steel guide rod-captured

HSMITH
March 9, 2007, 11:35 PM
Steel sights.

Polish trigger parts.

Grip tape/skateboard tape.

Extra magazines.

More ammo.

opd743
March 10, 2007, 02:25 AM
1: Night Sights

Sorry, that's all I could think of. All the people talking about 1911's, SIG's and XD's just need to be man enough for the Glock 21.

Have A Nice Day.

helpless
March 10, 2007, 02:55 AM
Tinted window, oh you said glock... :uhoh: I would think save your money and buy lots of ammo and practice.

pablo45
March 12, 2007, 09:00 PM
There is not alot you can do to upgrade the best. So get a surefire x200 light and some night sight's. Then go crazy on the ammo. You know the glock can handle +P+ right;) ? That is all you need for that great gun.

Redhat
March 12, 2007, 09:28 PM
How 'bout starting with :

- A fully supported chamber
- Steel Trigger
- Steel Sights
- Barrel that can shoot lead bullets

Lots of upgrades you can make to a Glock if you want.:D

jlbraun
March 12, 2007, 09:41 PM
Polish trigger parts.

Where can one buy these trigger parts that are made in Poland? Is there an importer? :D

SWModel19
March 12, 2007, 09:46 PM
I find it amusing how these threads always boil down into XD is better than Glock is better than 1911 is better than . . . .

My solution is to buy them all - except Glock. Now, that isn't to be anti-Glock. I would buy one if they came out with a model that didn't have that hump on the back. I'd love to own one, but why bother if it doesn't fit my hand?

And as for 1911? Well, there are plenty of double stack 1911s on the market today. My favorite carries 14+1.:D

So, I guess my accessories would be:

1. HK USP
2. SA XD
3. ParaOrdnance
4. S&W M&P
5. S&W Model 19

Oh, and I agree with this: Ammo, ammo, ammo....:D

SecondAmend
March 12, 2007, 09:46 PM
Which night sights are recommended?
I have an internal Lasermax on the way.

lee n. field
March 12, 2007, 10:24 PM

- Steel Trigger
- Steel Sights

Lots of upgrades you can make to a Glock if you want.

Sounds like an XD to me.

briansp82593
March 12, 2007, 10:48 PM
last post booooooo!!! jk xds are ok but they dont have the record the glock has... they have their place but its definitely not taking glocks :evil:

Radjxf
March 13, 2007, 12:19 PM

- Steel Trigger
- Steel Sights

Lots of upgrades you can make to a Glock if you want.

Let me add a "normal" grip angle that doesn't have me looking at the top of the slide so much! I normally despise the ugly things, 2x4 grip, etc. However, shot my first one with an aftermarket 3.5lb connector and it made a world of difference. Didn't seem quite so bad afterall:o Still won't let any of my Sigs or 1911's go for one though:D

Lonestar.45
March 13, 2007, 12:55 PM
1. Ammo
2. Holster
3. Extra mags
4. Night sights, if it doesn't have them

In that order. I don't need or want anything else for a carrygun.

PhillyGlocker
March 13, 2007, 04:11 PM
A Glock pistols needs an upgrade? Since when? The Glock itself is an upgrade over other brands. Anything extra to it is just for fun.:D

dhoomonyou
March 13, 2007, 04:33 PM
Lone Wolf extended slide lock
Bunch of Magazines
AMMO
ammo
and more ammo.

strat81
March 13, 2007, 06:11 PM
On my G26, I have night sights, an extended slide release, and a NY-1 trigger. The stock 10-rd mags are fine for carry, but I got some +2 base plates and some G19 mags with grip adapters for the range. I am quite happy with the weapon. It's an accurate little gun.

Scottmkiv
March 13, 2007, 06:28 PM
What do you want to do with the glock? Is it a carry gun? Then do the DIY trigger job, maybe add night sites and call it a day.

Nomad, 2nd
March 13, 2007, 06:35 PM
1. Night sites
2. TRL-1
3. Holster
4. Ammo
5. A 1911:neener:

That's all you need.;)

Glock'N'Load
March 13, 2007, 07:05 PM
I put a Ghost rocket 3.5 connector, Truglo green TFO tritium/fiber optic sights, 4lb firing pin spring, NY #1 trigger spring to raise pull to about 4lbs. and by far the best thing I did to my glock was crimson trace laser grips. they helped me refine my technique and I can hit an asprin at ten yards consistantly.
My list to do is a chrome extended slide release, chrome pins, mag release, and a blue aluminum backplate. maybe some laser etching if I find something I really like.

SecondAmend
March 14, 2007, 01:47 PM
GlocknLoad, sounds like you've been busy upgrading your piece. Nice. I just installed a new Lasermax internal laser and so far, it is great.

thebaldguy
March 14, 2007, 11:19 PM
Let me apologize ahead of time.

I would like a Glock pistol with a factory manual safety.

Again, I apologize.

gezzer
March 15, 2007, 01:26 AM
Night sights.

Note Glock already has a manual safety . KEEP your FOTG.

XD's and just what advantage do they have a Grip safety? Just what does that due as soon as you grip the grip it is OFF!!!!!!!!! Especially when you are re-holstering. FOTG will keep you out of trouble.

Waywatcher
March 15, 2007, 02:03 AM
1. Steel Sights
2. Factory NY-1 Spring
3. Factory 3.5lb connector
4. $.25 trigger job
5. Factory extended slide release/magazine release

opd743
March 16, 2007, 01:18 AM
For ALL the people who complain about Glocks not having an external safety, KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL READY TO FIRE! See, I just put an external safety on ALL guns.:neener:

Waywatcher
March 16, 2007, 02:03 AM
For ALL the people who complain about Glocks not having an external safety, KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL READY TO FIRE! See, I just put an external safety on ALL guns

Most rifles are carried cocked and locked, as are shotguns. Do you think manual safeties are a bad idea?

P.S. Keep in mind I own and enjoy a Glock, but your statement seemed ignorant at best, and inflammatory at worst. :barf:

Cokeman
March 16, 2007, 02:48 AM
For ALL the people who complain about Glocks not having an external safety, KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL READY TO FIRE! See, I just put an external safety on ALL guns.

I see people complain a lot about not having a safety on a Glock. I checked out a Kahr MK40 the other day and it had no manual safety or even a trigger safety. I never hear complaints about that one. I wanted it though.

ReadyontheRight
March 16, 2007, 03:22 AM
1. Add a beavertail grip safety
2. Add an external hammer
3. Add slide lock safety
4. Upgrade trigger group to lighter pull single-action
5. Slim out the width.

:evil:

Actually, the Glock as it is serves its purpose. Lighter/heavier triggers and sight upgrades might be worthwhile for your situation , but the standard Glock serves a very good utilitarian role. One could argue that you don't NEED a gun to do too much more.

Just not the platform for significant upgrades IMHO.

opd743
March 16, 2007, 01:13 PM
Waywatcher, I never said anything about rifles or shotguns. We are talking about Glocks. And yes I think a manual safety is a good idea on something like a 1911, but it is not needed on a Glock. Glocks already have three safeties built in. If you think me saying "Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire" is ignorant, I would love to know where you shoot so I can stay far away from that range.

Waywatcher
March 16, 2007, 03:23 PM
You dismissed peoples want of a manual safety, which is a legitimate want. Hence the popular Cominolli device (manual safety 'upgrade' for Glocks). Gun safety is very important, such as keeping your finger off the trigger.

But dismissing out-of-hand the want of a manual struck me as ignorant. Sorry for the miscommunication.

possum
March 17, 2007, 01:08 AM
my 19 had an extended slide release which i wouldn't do over again but alot of folks like them.
a 3.5 disconnect which i loved.
xs 24/7 sights which i like but i prefer three dot sights instead. and will go with them for now on.
then i had a good holster, lots of mags and ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "Top 5 Upgrades for Glock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!