HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH?

PDA

DJCharlie
March 9, 2007, 03:35 PM
18RDS OF 9MM

16RDS OF .40 S&W

14RDS OF .45 ACP

Just curious what would you chose? :D

If you enjoyed reading about "HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Marshall
March 9, 2007, 03:44 PM
Which ever one you're going to give me. I'm not picky. :)

gudel
March 9, 2007, 03:48 PM
as if we don't have enough 9 vs 40 vs 45 caliber war threads.

Black Majik
March 9, 2007, 04:02 PM
Why not 33 rds of 9mm?

Car Knocker
March 9, 2007, 04:08 PM
What is the point of this thread? Does it even have one?

MikePGS
March 9, 2007, 04:23 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices. Just shoot what suits you best.

Walkalong
March 9, 2007, 05:21 PM
14of.45ofcourse.:)

Black Majik
March 9, 2007, 05:39 PM
^^ Considering one shot of .45 will tear a person's arm off or blow a leg off, yeah 14 rounds of .45 is definitely enough ;)

Headless
March 9, 2007, 05:42 PM
****, i heard one round of .45 will blow a guys chest out his back and throw him at least 40 foot back, even if you clip him in the arm. I'd go with 14x45 any day.

Nomad, 2nd
March 9, 2007, 05:42 PM
Heck, I carry 9 rounds of .45...

I'll go with the 14 .45ACP.

CU74
March 9, 2007, 10:13 PM
Is this some kind of math problem? Calculate the total entry wound size?

bill larry
March 9, 2007, 10:43 PM
why not just carry a grenade?

jad0110
March 9, 2007, 10:44 PM
Being that civilian gun fights that go beyond 4 rounds fired are very rare, I'd just pick the one you shoot best and are the most confident with.

I carry a S&W 5 shot 38 Special J frame everyday and don't feel underarmed. If needing 14 rounds of 45 (for example) was a realistic threat assessment of where I live/work/play, I'd be packing my bags and sending out resumes ;) !

clt46910
March 9, 2007, 10:49 PM
How about ONE well placed shot?

clt46910
Sorry Computer messed up.

clt46910
Well one of us did again...LOL Sorry

Eagle103
March 9, 2007, 10:53 PM
If needing 14 rounds of 45 (for example) was a realistic threat assessment of where I live/work/play, I'd be packing my bags and sending out resumes !
Yup! I'd at least have a rifle in arms reach at all times.

koja48
March 9, 2007, 11:08 PM
I'll opt for the .45 . . . 1 round worked on the occasions I needed it, but all would do . . . I carry 8 in the piece & 1 spare mag . . . reckon I'm in to accurate & effective fire, not total weight . . .

briansp82593
March 9, 2007, 11:14 PM
i would go with the 9mm more ammo + a well placed shot = alot of ammo still left in the mag

browningguy
March 9, 2007, 11:36 PM
All of those are fine.

Nightcrawler
March 9, 2007, 11:38 PM
I've got six rounds of .44 Mag on my left hip right now, with speedloader in the pocket.

Seriously. You guys worry too much about this stuff. As long as your gun works and you can use it, you'll likely be okay.

Of course, if that weren't the case, what on earth would we talk about?

"I like guns."
"Me too."
"That goes for me as well."
"Hooray!"

Boring! :D

helpless
March 10, 2007, 02:20 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The above post is the best.

We would be talking about our outfits.

oh wait... (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=259265&highlight=clothes)

opd743
March 10, 2007, 02:30 AM
What Nightcrawler said.

I don't know about a .44 Mag, but my Glock 21 works for me. It and my Blackhawk Serpa holster never leave my side. But like has been said many times before, A good placed round many times times over will get the job done!

jlh26oo
March 10, 2007, 02:39 AM
There is a capacity threshold for most of us, which once you get above, you generally will just take the caliber you prefer.

For me, once you are at 14, doesn't make a differenc whether it's 14, 16, or 2x that- all more than plenty to make me comfortable. So among your choices, I'd go with the caliber I'm most comfortbable with: .45acp.

I'm more concerned with shot no's 1-3 than 16-18, ymmv.

Mandirigma
March 10, 2007, 06:44 AM
-shrug- I carry right at 25 rounds no matter what I'm carrying. It just worked out that way.

9+1 Glock 33 and a G31 mag reload 15 rounds

or

8+1 1911 and two 8 round mag reloads

somewhere when I was younger there was this motto, always be prepared :cool:

I look at it this way, I don't have to worry as I'm covered

jlh26oo
March 10, 2007, 06:57 AM
somewhere when I was younger there was this motto, always be prepared

I look at it this way, I don't have to worry as I'm covered

That's definitely more prepared than most...

btw do you think there is any higher level of preparedness available? Or are you "maxed out" at a point of diminishing returns (meaning carrying more rounds/mags would not necessarily result in greater preparedness)?

:evil:

RPBrown
March 10, 2007, 07:48 AM
If I have my glock or XD, 14 in weapon and extra 13 in spare mag. for 27

If I have my 1911, 8 in weapon and 2 spare 8 rounders for 24

All in .45

Also carry 6 rounds of 380 with all of the above.

SolaScriptura139
March 10, 2007, 12:55 PM
I would take 18 rounds of 9mm. With the right ammo (147, hollow point, +p), you'll get just as much penetration as a .45 (there was a ballistics gelatin test in another thread here that showed that).

L-Frame
March 10, 2007, 01:13 PM
+1 for nightcrawler's comment. I'm perfectly content with 7 rounds of .357 mag. So, I'd guess twice that or more should satisfy.

10-Ring
March 10, 2007, 02:49 PM
Wow, I've been happy w/ 8+1 from my P7M8, 5 rounds in my j-frame, and even my 8+7 from my Colt :scrutiny:
I'm really not planning on any running gun battles in my future :scrutiny:

shaggycat
March 10, 2007, 03:06 PM
I would pick the .45 just because I like the caliber. If I liked either of the other two calibers more, I would pick them.

While I have zero experience in a firefight, I think that if I am in a situation where I need more than 14 rounds without ever having a chance to reload, I am pretty much screwed no matter what.

Tezcatlipoca
March 10, 2007, 03:12 PM
or 1 round of 10mm

shoot at the ground near them and the earth will cave in under their feet,.

Mandirigma
March 10, 2007, 05:05 PM
do you think there is any higher level of preparedness available? Or are you "maxed out" at a point of diminishing returns (meaning carrying more rounds/mags would not necessarily result in greater preparedness)?

For me its more about point in diminishing concealability. I carry my weapon IWB, and toss my spare mags in a pocket in old broken mag holsters.

(FWIW I do have a spare G31 mag and two 1911 mags riding in spare pockets in a medkit I throw in my car. I have both because I never sure which I'm going to be carrying)

If it comes down to having a long gun. I'm not going to try to explain a reason for having that in my vehicle to my local DA or LEO's.

I'm really not planning on any running gun battles in my future

You never really plan for them, they sort of just happen. Hope for the best but plan for the worst.

I work in an industry thats slightly higher risk than most people. Not LEO's or anyone with that risk level. We hardly see any problems with just one or two guys. Heck the only times there have been shootings there were usually a couple groups of 5+ on either side.

Now you may be wondering why we just don't call LEO's, mainly because of response time. On a non emergency call they don't respond for 30-45 minutes. On a shots fired call the response time was 10-15 minutes, usually by that time the shooters are already gone, and they are just there to take statements.

Don't get me wrong, yes I carry, but i'm not going to involve myself in other peoples drama. I've sat back under cover and watched two groups fire at each other, while a co-worker told me "you've got a gun, do something" I just looked at her cocked a thumb over my shoulder shook my head and said "Not my drama." None of my coworkers that were outside were in any danger as they were firing at each other across the lot and not towards the building. The fight lasted no more than 3 minutes. And both groups took off. I heard that two were killed and found near an on ramp to a near by freeway.

Now I'll be perfectly honest. When I was working 9-5 in an office job I only carried the weapon (at the time G19 or G33) and kept spare mags in my vehicle (again in a medkit)

Plink
March 10, 2007, 05:17 PM
HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18RDS OF 9MM

16RDS OF .40 S&W

14RDS OF .45 ACP

How many do you think it's going to take? Personally, I feel plenty armed with a revolver.

RevolvingCylinder
March 10, 2007, 06:20 PM
If magazine capacity is your largest priority, you really need to re-evaluate your priorities.

NailGun
March 10, 2007, 06:53 PM
I've got 5 shots....one for each of them.

jad0110
March 10, 2007, 11:28 PM
I've got 5 shots....one for each of them.

Who was the gent that, when asked why he carried only a five-shot snub, responded something to the effect of "I don't plan on shooting more than 5 people today." :D

While I have zero experience in a firefight, I think that if I am in a situation where I need more than 14 rounds without ever having a chance to reload, I am pretty much screwed no matter what.

I also have no experience in a firefight, thank God. Hope I never do.

I wish I could remember the name of the study, it was done by the FBI I think. Other please feel free to help me out. As I posted earlier, most civilian shootings involve less than 4 rounds fired (actually, 80-90% involves NO rounds fired). But it was found that when the round count goes beyond 4 in a civilian self defense scenario, the odds of "the good guy" surviving fall off dramatically. In short, the good guy was usually either shooting scared (spray and pray) or was badly outnumbered. Quite a number of people feel that a lot of rounds will get them out of the classic “dozen zombies” situation. Problem is, that in order to legally return fire against those dozen zombies you must be threatened with death or serious bodily harm by each of them. One can only get off shots so fast against multiple opponents, so while you are firing on one BG, his scumbag buddies are engaging you with their [fill in the blank weapon]. I recently heard one THR member say (can’t remember who) that the extra rounds will at least let you take more of the BGs with you. I imagine there is at least some truth to that.

Note that I’m not knocking carrying a lot of rounds at all. If you feel more confident when carrying 50 rounds, by all means, go for it!

I just hope none of us EVER have to find out how much is enough.

Don't get me wrong, yes I carry, but i'm not going to involve myself in other peoples drama. I've sat back under cover and watched two groups fire at each other, while a co-worker told me "you've got a gun, do something" I just looked at her cocked a thumb over my shoulder shook my head and said "Not my drama." None of my coworkers that were outside were in any danger as they were firing at each other across the lot and not towards the building.

In your case, it sounds like discretion really was the better part of valor. Smart move (how could you possibly identify the aggressor?). I’m glad you and your co-workers were unharmed. I’ve already determined up front that if, God forbid, I’m ever faced with a situation where I cannot positively identify the aggressor(s) and the victims with at least 110% confidence, I will NOT get involved.

My 1.7 red cents. :o

Car Knocker
March 10, 2007, 11:55 PM
As I posted earlier, most civilian shootings involve less than 4 rounds fired (actually, 80-90% involves NO rounds fired).
Then those 80-90% wouldn't, by definition, be shootings, would they? :D

Mandirigma
March 11, 2007, 09:10 AM
Smart move (how could you possibly identify the aggressor?). I’m glad you and your co-workers were unharmed. I’ve already determined up front that if, God forbid, I’m ever faced with a situation where I cannot positively identify the aggressor(s) and the victims with at least 110% confidence, I will NOT get involved.

unSuprisingly enough, it was a fight that ended up turning into a gunfight. In my experience when there are large groups of guys getting into a fight everyone reverts to a mob mentality. As for the aggressors, it would have been simple. Anyone that fired on me or mine.

In this case I didn't get involved because it was two groups of idiots firing at each other. I and two co-workers got caught outside, originally we were trying to stop the fight (this was our mistake), I noticed a couple guys duck into cars and pushed the other two towards our doors. We ended up getting locked outside. So I found cover (engine block of a car parked close to the doors) and pulled the other two to it.

Now if they were firing at us, I'd have to have taken steps. Mainly just so the bullets stopped coming our way. Since they were content to shoot at each other, I let them. We stayed "hidden" and didn't try to attract attention.

The lesson was learned though. DO NOT go outside to stop a fight. Last shooting at that job I remember someone telling me "Hey, they are shooting outside what you going to do?" my answer was "Stay inside." I moved on to a new gig within a month.

jad0110
March 11, 2007, 11:22 AM
Then those 80-90% wouldn't, by definition, be shootings, would they?

Good catch! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!