marksmanship

PDA

shilkdaddy
March 10, 2007, 03:49 PM
Does anyone have any pointers for improving pistol marksmanship at 25 meters aside from putting more rounds down range? I know all the fundamentals and some dry fire techniques but i'm looking for any input.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "marksmanship" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cosmoline
March 10, 2007, 03:57 PM
What stance are you using?

plexreticle
March 10, 2007, 03:58 PM
Match up you ammo and gun to make sure you're not outshooting you equipment.

Make sure it fits your hand so your not pushing or pulling the trigger.

I don't know what handgun you are shooting but .22LRs are notorious for being ammo sensitive.

shilkdaddy
March 10, 2007, 03:59 PM
I'm actually talking about helping people with the alternate army pistol qual course which is standing, kneeling, and prone. its with beretta 92F with ball ammo.

plexreticle
March 10, 2007, 04:13 PM
Have them practice the different correct stances. Most people screw this up so make sure they are doing it somewhat right.

Prone is kind of wierd with a handgun. Some folks prefer to lay on their side in sort of a sidways weaver stance and some prefer to lay foward on thier belly. I think either way is fine.

With these Army quals magazine changes are important. Make sure they know how many rounds to load and when to change mags. They obviously want to change between the strings of fire or when a target is not showing. This will help with scores but doesnt ad anything that helps real world.

Some folks are left eye dominate and don't realize they may shoot better left handed. Something to try out if someone is looking awkward or shooting crappy.

When you conduct your training don't be a dick and get everybody keyed up. The more relaxed the shooters are the better.

KINGMAX
March 10, 2007, 04:23 PM
This is what I do.

a)For your first 'cold group' at 18 feet fire your first group of at least 3 - 5 rounds. Taking careful aim, and squeeze off each round. See how you do.

b) do a 'shooter's workout' using the distance of 18 - 25 feet for range work.
(remember - your dirty work is done at a distance of 7 - 25 feet in just a few seconds.)

c) Shoot a box of bullets (50 rounds) in three to five shot groups, using fresh targets on each new grouping.

d) Now compare all the targets start to finish, ??? any improvement, do you see a trend in your shooting ?? ie,.. high right, a little low ?? what have you learned about you and your weapon ?? can you asertaine where any adjustments you may have to make for yourself, or can it be adjusted via the sighting system employed on the weapon.

E) USE A GOOD GRADE OF AMMO = (one of the most important points)

F) USE WHAT THE TARGETS TELL YOU TO IMPROVE YOUR MARKSMANSHIP. (the targets will not lie)

Chem Geek
March 10, 2007, 06:02 PM
Try out the Grayguns dry fire packet. Quite a few people swear by it...
http://www.grayguns.com/training.shtml

JCF
March 11, 2007, 01:16 AM
The single greatest improvement I ever made to my shooting was learning to consistently bring gun to head/eye level as opposed to vice versa.

Stachie
March 11, 2007, 05:38 AM
"PERFECT practice makes perfect!" my baseball coach taught me.

It is all about mastering a repeatable, accurate style; not unlike golf.

JimPGov
March 11, 2007, 06:49 AM
DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE.

PERFECT PRATICE CREATE'S PERFECTION, IMPERFECT PRATICE CEMENTS IMPERFECTION.

Walkalong
March 11, 2007, 08:57 AM
"PERFECT practice makes perfect!" my baseball coach taught me.

Mine too, it's all about muscle memory. You will develop good, or bad, muscle memory, so do it the same , time after time. (the PERFECT PRACTICE quote). My bad shots are all from getting in a hurry, or losing concentration, or letting the PRESSURE get me. Like when you have 4 rounds in a bughole and you don't want to BLOW IT!!
Relax and execute your shot.
I tell my pitchers all the time. You only have control over one thing, relax and execute your pitch, everything else is out of your control.:)

Rod B
March 11, 2007, 07:22 PM
Keep the front sight in focus & aligned, slow steady trigger squeeze.

If you enjoyed reading about "marksmanship" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!