Enfield No1 Mk3 question.

PDA

Feanaro
June 9, 2003, 01:16 AM
I have my eye on two No1 Mk3s(from different places but both with same shipping and such, SOG and Surplusfirearms), one with wire rapping/grenade support. The other without, both in the same condition. So I'd like to know, does it matter? Can the wrap and support be removed if desired? Does it get in the way? More value with or without? I can't get both, unfortunately or I would.

If you enjoyed reading about "Enfield No1 Mk3 question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
B27
June 9, 2003, 01:41 AM
If you intend to shoot this gun get the one without.
Heck, even if I was just buying it to stick a bayonet on and hang on the wall I'd still get the one without.:)

http://www.fototime.com/0952F829496FBAF/standard.jpg

Andrew Wyatt
June 9, 2003, 01:48 AM
Get the one without.

The one with the wire reenforcement has probably been shot with rod grenades.

Rod grenades do bad things to the bore, like ring bulging it. this is bad.

Mike Irwin
June 9, 2003, 02:21 AM
Agreed, avoid the ones with the wire wrapping.

The examples I've seen have not engendered a lot of confidence.

Detritus
June 10, 2003, 04:46 AM
the Wire wrapped enfields, are examples intended for "grenade launcher only" use. and as such, tend to be guns with shot out bores, or other defects/problems, that preclude effective or safe use as a regular rifle, but do NOT hamper the gun's use with blanks and rifle launchable "mills bombs" (a british grenade with a cupped-disc base attached, fits into the "cup" of the launcher like a mortar round). the wire wrapping was to brace up the barrels adn stock to reduce the chance of a blow out, or at least contain or slow the bits down should one happen.

and these guns WERE often used with the "Rod" type rifle grenades as well which put even more stress on the rifle than the other rifle grenades then in use.

in otherwords, the wire wrapped enfields are novelty or "last piece in the collection" items. NOT shooters, if one was even "safe" to fire, it'd be VERY likely to be only marginally better than throwing stones (i last one i looked down the bore of looked like a New York sewer pipe, ie pitted and nasty as hell with no sign of a land or groove in sight). at the very least it would need rebarreling and a replacement stock. and if there is any damage to the rest of the action etc, this would be a waste of time. and by the time you put the money down for the new tube and stock you're up OVER what you'd have paid for a MUCH better piece.

RON in PA
June 10, 2003, 11:27 AM
The wire wrapped SMLEs were made for grenade launching as others have stated. The wrap was to reinforce the wood. I don't believe that rod grenades have been used by anybody since WW1 and the wire wrapped SMLEs were meant to be used with grenade launchers attached to the muzzle (I have seen these advertised for sale on rare occasions). It is possible that these rifles were made from older rifles with shot-out bores, but I'm not 100% sure on this. Rifles are collectors pieces for Lee Enfield fans.

For a shooter I recommend the #4 rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Enfield No1 Mk3 question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!