How many of you were afraid of guns?

PDA

Yohan
January 6, 2003, 10:19 PM
Even as far back as a few years, I was gravely miseducated about guns- Of course, what education I did receieve was mostly from movies and games, but I believed guns to be extremely dangerous- Now, after first hand experience, I love guns to death. I have been reborn- Have any of you guys ever been afraid of guns until a certain "experience"? :D

If you enjoyed reading about "How many of you were afraid of guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PATH
January 6, 2003, 10:23 PM
Somewhat apprehensive but not fearful. After a while it was fun and has remained so ever since.

standingbear
January 6, 2003, 10:29 PM
my father taught me at a young age to "respect" all firearms and showed me what they could do by shooting a pumpkin with a 12 gauge.this has always been in the back of my mind as i am now teaching my son the same lessons of firearm respect.fear leads to carelessness.

ms1200
January 6, 2003, 10:54 PM
i was raised around guns. my whole family shoots and hunts.
i guess i have always just viewed them as an essential tool.

Weimadog
January 6, 2003, 11:06 PM
Like Path, I was apprehensive, but not fearful. The sight of a person carrying a gun made me think of the worst case scenerio of what he could do with it.

I was a step from being an anti. I felt that owning a gun was a right, but of course there should be restrictions on carrying them around.

When Bernard Getz was in the news for shooting some youths trying to rob him, I thought he was right to defend himself, but wrong to be carrying a gun. :confused: That was flawed logic! That mindset was self correcting the more I thought about it.

I moved into an big apartment building with my wife a few years ago realized that we are the only ones who can protect ourselves, as we were the only ones living in the building. We took a gun safety and shooting class. Now, we shoot every week.

Now, the only problem I have with guns is finding the time to clean them. :)

Weimadog

WonderNine
January 6, 2003, 11:15 PM
I wasn't even apprehensive. I always wanted to shoot more when I was younger, but just never really did. I've never had a fear of inanimate objects. I think I know what drives that 'fear of weapons' mentality.

Well, I think Freud said it best, but I'm not going to repeat what he said here. :D Don't mean to offend anybody.

Monkeyleg
January 6, 2003, 11:21 PM
I was raised around guns since the early 1950's. I wasn't afraid of them at all, which was stupid. Guns shouldn't warrant either fear or blind machismo. They deserve respect for what they can do.

cratz2
January 6, 2003, 11:21 PM
Never was afraid of them. I would like to think I was around them enough growing up that they were just tools. But I never desired to have more access to an axe and I never made lists of screwdrivers I would one day own. :p

Mauserlady
January 6, 2003, 11:44 PM
Never even really gave any thought to them until about 6 years ago when I rented a room to a Probation Officer. He told me he would have his two guns in the house and I trusted that he would keep them safely hidden from the girls who were only 13 and 7 at the time. Two times were they ever "in my face". Once when I was making his bed and I lifted up the mattress and there was one, and the other time when I tossed his fanny pack and he informed me that I probably shouldn't do that again.

Next time I had to deal with them was when Hubby and I met... Wasn't afraid but was VERY apprehensive. I made him take me out shooting without the girls the first time so I could be a bit more comfortable whe they came out for the first time.

I still get a little nervous when I'm around people that I've never shot with or when handling something for the first time but I think that's really just my inexperience taking over...

Blackhawk
January 7, 2003, 12:31 AM
Never when I've handled them or somebody I knew and trusted was handling them. Never even in the Army when I had no idea about the strangers who were handling them.

But I've been way beyond nervous when ones I've suspected of being a bit whacko were handling them. But that's no fear of guns, it's fear of an unstable person with a gun, which is a step up from fear of an unstable person with a knife, car, etc.

Navy joe
January 7, 2003, 12:54 AM
I learned an important rule about gun ownership by breaking rules. I had been taught to shoot by my dad at a very young age, was very respectful of the power of guns. What I learned though was from sneaking the guns for unauthorized shooting sessions. The fear of being discovered always weighed heavily on my mind, like the act was bad, I always feared discovery after the fact. My first few legit times with guns of my own featured carry-over anxiety, damn near an anxiety attack actually, nervous, elevated heart rate, the whole bit. Now I'm just nervous without a gun or around retards with guns. An instructive lesson for when the gov't says you can't own guns, being sneaky is hard work.

My favorite illicit shooting session was shooting at some bulls in a neighboring pasture. I was trying to shoot right in front of their nose to scare them. To my credit I held about shoulder height on them, just out in front. .22 Longs, 350+ yards. I wonder why they never noticed??? :banghead:

Never paranoid when armed. "Why should I be paranoid, I've got a gun" -Clint Smith

sm
January 7, 2003, 01:03 AM
Raised with respect for firearms, and what they stood for--still feel that way.

Afraid: only when I might be on recieving end---Scratch that--Anger kicks in then...actions taken.

andy
January 7, 2003, 01:20 AM
For some reason I have never been afraid of guns. Afraid of everything else, yes but guns no. :rolleyes:

hipower22
January 7, 2003, 01:35 AM
I was never afraid of guns.

I learnt to respect them but not to fear them. I still respect them.

Only afraid very occasionally of a tiny number of people who have used them.

Airwolf
January 7, 2003, 01:36 AM
Until last August the last time I'd handled any guns (other than toys and a mag through an M-14 a few years ago) was as a small kid in 60's. I was apprehensive (but not afraid) after my GF and I decided to purchase our first handguns.

It was nearly a year between the “OK, let’s do this” conversation and the first purchase. I spent hours reading everything I could on TFL and other forums. I picked up several pellet and Airsoft guns to get familiar with safe handling by treating them exactly as I would the real deal. After the first range trip with my P99 what little apprehension I had died, replaced by a healthy respect for and confidence around firearms.

mack
January 7, 2003, 01:43 AM
What do you mean, "were afraid of guns?" I'm still afraid of guns when they are pointed my way.

J.Gillespie
January 7, 2003, 01:56 AM
I was never "afraid" just uneducated about guns. I mainly just took a back seat to them a didn't really care to learn. Now and for the past 5-6 years I can't get enough about firearms.

madkiwi
January 7, 2003, 02:00 AM
I first went duck hunting when I was 12 with a .410 single shotgun that my best friend's dad bought him for his birthday (didn't hit a thing).

His dad was the one who smacked me over my ear when, while out tromping around the bush looking for deer one time, I turned around and swept the muzzle of a Lee-Enfield over everyone. I wasn't scared of the guns, I was scared Mr Williamson would ring my bell again.

Went boar hunting at 19 with a single shot .22 and 2 really ugly pig dogs. Decided my friend was nuts, and that when you hunt boar you need more than one shot, especially when your first one misses.

But handguns of any kind gave me the heebie-jeebies. In New Zealand no-one I knew owned any, the only one I ever saw was when someone's dad bought one to a Scout meeting. He was a collector, and normally all handguns had to stay at gun clubs. Rifles and shotguns never worried me, but there was something too easy, too casual about pistols.

Now I get more fun out of them than my rifles.

OH yeah the first real firearm I ever owned was an AR-15 purchased just before 12/31/99. Up until then I only had air rifles and CO2 pistols.

madkiwi

ruger357
January 7, 2003, 06:59 AM
Never fearfull but respectfull.

Tamara
January 7, 2003, 07:30 AM
As far as I can recall, I have never been "afraid" of inanimate objects.

bpisler
January 7, 2003, 07:37 AM
Never afraid of firearms but i was scared to shoot my brothers 44 mag when i was 11.

JeFF D
January 7, 2003, 08:01 AM
I've been afraid of a friends single shot 10 gauge before....until I shot it, then I wanted to shoot it again!

Other than that, no.

foghornl
January 7, 2003, 08:20 AM
Not afraid of gun, but sometimes VERY afraid of loose nut behind trigger:eek:

Kamicosmos
January 7, 2003, 08:21 AM
Never afraid of guns cause I was raised around them.

Knives though, I'm skitish around. Probably because I nearly took my knee cap off with a machette working on a survey crew about 10 years ago. I working on it though, picked up a Ti-Lite to carry, and a friend is a genuine knife freak, so that helps.

kamicosmos

Viking6
January 7, 2003, 08:24 AM
Probably should have been but never have been. I learned about guns from other pre-teen and teen boys growing up. Now I AM scared of people; in my misspent youth I new guys who loved the combination of booze, guns and gasoline

cobb
January 7, 2003, 10:22 AM
I was raised around guns, so I respected, but never feared them. My dad was a welder and farmer by trade, so we didn't have many power tools that was for woodworking only back then. So maybe this sounds dumb, but power saws scared the begeebers out of me for years. I still remember the safety movie we saw in shop class and this board was kicked back by a table saw and imbeded itself in a guys stomach.
:uhoh:
Nope, never was afraid of guns.
:cool:

10-Ring
January 7, 2003, 11:21 AM
I have a healthy respect for them. What I am afraid of are new shooters I see at the range & look like they don't know what they're doing. :cuss:

QKRTHNU
January 7, 2003, 01:48 PM
I'm still afraid of guns. The same way I'm afraid of a circular saw or a live electrical wire.

If I wasn't I'd probally be dead.

Carlos Cabeza
January 7, 2003, 06:17 PM
I think NEVER ! I was fortunate enough to have grown up on an 80 acre ranch in Alvin, Texas approx. 3 decades ago :p and have always been around them for various reasons. Chasin' coyotes out of the chicken house, Feedin' the family rabbits, squirrels, etc.
I received my first rifle when I was seven years old, a .410/.22 over and under. Best birthday present EVER ! Shot at many quail, doves and various other critters. Wouldn't trade my childhood for anything !!!:)

2dogs
January 7, 2003, 06:21 PM
No, even though I had no experience with them until later in life.

People yes, guns no.;)

TheActor
January 7, 2003, 06:27 PM
I love my guns and I'm very much afraid of them. Never had an accident of any kind.

JeepDriver
January 7, 2003, 10:02 PM
I hope I never loose the fear, and/or respect I have for my guns.

thumbtack
January 7, 2003, 10:16 PM
I grow up around firearms and I can't think of a time when they scared me.

Beav
January 7, 2003, 10:41 PM
Never really afraid of guns but rather myself with a gun.
Its taken a while for me to feel responsible enough to own one.

JohnBT
January 7, 2003, 11:30 PM
I grew up around them and was taught to be careful at an early age. Have never feared firearms at all. Everybody had a gun or two or three. Not too many of the women folk shot much, but some did every so often.

Now, put me in a gun store or at a gun show and I'm on high alert because of some of the careless people there - but not because of the guns.

John

Miss Demeanors
January 8, 2003, 12:15 AM
Never saw a 'real' gun until I was 16. Boyfriends parents at a wedding, so a few of us were over at his house. He brought out his Dad's service revolver. His dad was a Chicago police officer. The b/f was showing off to me and two other friends. He started 'playing' russian roulette while sitting a foot away from me. We told him to just put it away, his last words "I know what I'm doing". Bam. B/F dead and I'm covered in blood. Never touched a gun, couldnt look at one, hated them.

Then I found TFL and I have recovered, almost fully. Still need the guts to shoot a .357 but can shoot anything else. :D

ezoeni
January 8, 2003, 02:10 AM
I've been around guns for along time. And Im still afraid of them. Or should I say I respect what they are designed for. Im mainly afraid of other people that have them. Not me screwing up and shooting my foot off.

Just like the hunter safety courses I took way back in the day.
I still go up to sites that show trauma and gun shot wounds and dead people that have their heads blown off, just to remind me the destructive power of these tools. Its deffentally not pretty to look at. But its kinda a wake up call after you see it again. Makes ya think twice when your at the range or out in the field.

And of course hunting season always lets ya know how much power you have with a 2lb pull of a trigger.

BANG!

Tamara
January 8, 2003, 07:51 AM
I think we're running off of two different definitions of "fear" here. To me, "afraid" of a gun means just that: the gun could be sitting there on a table in an empty room, and the person who was afraid of it wouldn't want to get near it, touch it, look at it, and would really prefer not to be in the room with it.

Since I've always known that a gun is incapable of jumping up and doing anything under its own volition, I've never really been "afraid" of them. Afraid of an idiot with a gun? Afraid of myself screwing up with a gun? Now, those are both fears I've experienced... ;)

Kahr carrier
January 8, 2003, 07:57 AM
Nope Pops taught me at a young age ,how to handle guns. But I am afraid of some of the people that own them.:neener:

Bob Locke
January 8, 2003, 09:51 AM
I started shooting when I was 3 or 4. Never been "afraid", but always respectful.

If you enjoyed reading about "How many of you were afraid of guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!