HIGH STANDARD CRUSADER 44 Mag

PDA

johnny blaze
March 12, 2007, 02:19 AM
Many years ago High Standard made a 44 Magnum revolver called the Crusader.
I have been looking for one of these for a few years now, with no luck.
I have no idea of what they are worth, or even if they are any good. When they first came out, I thought that they were really neat.
Anyone have one? Any information would be appreciated:D

If you enjoyed reading about "HIGH STANDARD CRUSADER 44 Mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
OPOEFC
March 16, 2007, 02:16 AM
I had a Crusader some yrs ago and it was a rugged well made revolver. They did not make a lot of them apparently as I very seldon see or hear of them now days, except in High Standard collections. The were inexpensive, compared to Colt or S&W .44 Mags. One drawback today would be where to get parts should something break. Ed.

Onmilo
March 16, 2007, 11:00 AM
There were 51 .44 Magnum Crusaders released with an 8 3/8 inch barrel.
There were about 450 released with a 6 1/2 inch barrel.
There is speculation that some revolvers were factory released with a bright nickle finish but the majority of the guns feature a polished blue finish with a gold plated high relief figure of a crusader on the sideplate.

Value for a gun with the longer barrel will be somewhere in the $1000.00 range.
Value for a 6.5" revolver will be about $650.00
These values depend on the gun being in excellent to near new condition and retaining all of the packing cartons, manuals and extras.

A factory bright nickle revolver that can be documented as such will be worth twice those figures.
Without factory documentation it is assumed the revolver has been refinished and the value will be half the amount shown.
The values shown are retail. HTH

Standing Wolf
March 16, 2007, 09:48 PM
I once saw two of them in a gun shop display case, one in .45 Colt, one in .44 magnum.

The price tag was $3,000. If I'd had the money, I'd have bought them.

johnny blaze
March 17, 2007, 12:29 AM
WOW, thanks for the replys. I had almost given up on any information on the Crusader.
No wonder that they are hard to find, with those low numbers produced.
The parts availability would be one problem with them.
I will keep looking and maybe one day one might turn up.
Thanks

Onmilo
March 17, 2007, 11:53 AM
If that dealer had a .45 Colt caliber Crusader it is no wonder he had the pair priced at $3000.00
There were only one or two prototype .45 Colt caliber Crusaders produced.
They were never released commercially.

medmo
March 19, 2007, 06:55 AM
Why, yes, Mr. Blaze I do happen to own one. I have one with the 6.5" bbl in 44 mag. It took me about 20 years to find one but eventually I stumbled across one at a gun show a couple of years ago. I "wheeled and dealed" my way into it by making room in the safe for the Crusader by trading a Beretta shotgun and a couple of S&W revolvers. I'm seeing a number thrown out in a previous post of a $650 value. I think that is really low. I have seen a two posted on Auction Arms or Gun Broker in the past few years since I acauired mine. I think they were going for over $1,000.

It is a drop dead beautiful revolver. It has a super deep mirror polish blue on it with a big gold crusader character on the side swinging a sword. It also came with a presentation box.

No, it is not for sale. Yes, it was worth the 20 years of obsession.

Good Luck

I just checked auctionarms.com. There is one in 45LC for sale. If I remember correctly there were around 400 of the 45LCs made.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7756868

gunnie
March 24, 2007, 02:22 AM
medmo and OPOEFC ,

sadly, very little paper trail has been left to track info about the illusive "crusader" mdl due to high standard going the way of the dinosaur. johnny blaze, finding one on a dealer's shelf is even harder than getting reliable information about same.

looking back through the years, even a quite thorough and respected source like "fjestadt's blue book of gun values" can't seem to come up with the same production numbers from one year to the next, for calibers and bbl lengths in this series. oddly, even their pricing seems to fluctuate with the barometer. in the past, it has been higher than the current listing.

truely rare models and model variations sometimes don't even get listed in these pricing publications, as their scarcity doesn't allow many chances for the data collectors to find any kind of an "average" pricing information. try to find a listing for a sako "alaskan guide model", a manlicher stocked carbine that had a 4 shot magazine in .375 H&H. pls-do not mistake this for the safari model, it isn't. good luck, there were only 200 units of this model manufactured. they were eventually discontinued because the stocks had a habit of splitting behind the action.

or better still, get pricing information on high standard mfgd FAL rifles. there were 13 units made for the army's testing of .308 battle rifles in the '50's. the browning corp. imported FAL's seem run of the mill in comparison.

my point here is for johnny blaze, i have heard there were as few as 300 or so of the crusaders in ALL calibers actually sold retail, despite the company's original production intentions announcement. IF you find one you want, the prices may vary wildly from any written pricing you may find. i agree with medmo, one in nearly new shape won't be found for the pricing guide suggested of $650. hell, the high standard high end 22's command more american inflationary notes than that. and they are about as rare as crooked politicians. an unfired one will probably hurt the bank account. in many years, i have seen only one of these for sale, unfired, 6 1/2" bbl, in .44M. i bought it in anchorage, alaska, many moons ago.

i'm trying to get info on these wherever the oppurtunity arrises. hence, my addressing this missive to the two people who own/have owned same.

do/did your revolvers have the anniversary commemorative issue, with fancy scrollwork around it on the right side of the bbls? i find no mention of this feature in any of the literature i have read. i have seen reference to engraved models, but have not seen any photos of them anywhere, or heard of one that is in captivity.

also, Onmilo , mine came with a cardboard sleeve over two styrofoam halves, a factory wooden presentation case, the destructions and parts breakdown, and a factory letter of authenticity dated, as i recall '75.

Snydly Whiplash
April 1, 2009, 06:43 PM
Glad to see so much interest in the Crusader. I thinik I still have alot of the old gun magazines with articles on them. I bought mine before High Standard went belly up. I paid $1500.00 for it new. It is a 6 1/2" Bbl. in 44 Mag. I sincerely hope it is worth more than $650.00, I would not let it go for that. It has the origional box, paperwork, and the Presentation case. I had called High Standard and asked about the standard production guns they were planning to come out with and was going to buy one of each barrel length, (4", 6 1/2" and 8 3/8") but as we all know they never did produce them.

I am able to tell you that I actually shoot mine. Had I known High Standard was going out of busisness i never would have shot it.

I have also had the Side Plate off to look at the Really Cool lockwork, ( the GEARS that work the Hammer.) The Hammer actually cams into a downward position to engage the fireing pin and when the trigger is released it slides almost straight up out of the frame to a recess in the hammer for the fireing pin to back into instead of using a transfer bar.

wbmech767
April 1, 2009, 07:26 PM
Hi now that someone has fessed up to shooting one what does it shoot like I have been dieing to shoot the one I have I found it about 23 years ago at a small gun shop in calif it is a 44mag 6.5 inch I did not get the carbord box or papers but did get the wood box paid about 450 in 1987 ....wayne

bluetopper
April 1, 2009, 09:50 PM
Not too many days ago there were a couple of Crusaders for sale on gunbroker.

VE2RF
April 2, 2009, 03:37 AM
Weren't High Standard revolvers made for them by Dan Wesson ?

VE2RF
April 2, 2009, 03:48 AM
Yep.

That Crusader is a Dan Wesson revolver...

Take a look and compare this Crusader(first picture) with the Dan Wessons I own(later shots)... The grip is a monogrip with the screw through the bottom like a DW. Look at the frame, the trigger guards, and the cylinder.

First the High Standard .44 Magnum Crusader...
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq107/vme21982/Dan%20Wesson%2044%20Magnum/DanWessonCrusader.jpg

Now: Dan Wesson .44 Magnums
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq107/vme21982/Dan%20Wesson%2044%20Magnum/DW442.jpg

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq107/vme21982/Dan%20Wesson%2044%20Magnum/DW441.jpg

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq107/vme21982/Dan%20Wesson%2044Magnum%20II/DanWesson4421.jpg

Snydly Whiplash
April 2, 2009, 06:38 PM
wbmech767, VE2RF,

My first one didn't shoot worth a darn, lots of misfires. Then I noticed all were being struck off center of the primers, the hole in the rear of the frame was machined off center. I called the factory and they said send it back. They sent my a new gun w/same serial no. Took it to the range and it shot just fine. It is as accurate as my Colt Anaconda and my Smith 629.

In all of the literature I have read, I never heard anything about Dan Wesson making them for High Standard. I have compared the Crusader to my DW .445 Supermag and the grip post is a slightly differant angle. they do look similar but I think DW would have used thier lockwork instead of re-tooling for something as radical as the High Standard lock mechanism.

If anyone knows for sure that DW made them please post it.

Ron James
April 2, 2009, 07:44 PM
It is for for sure the they were made by Dan Wesson. If you had seen the first Crusader off the assembly line you would know.

warnerwh
April 2, 2009, 09:44 PM
I'd like to see evidence of Dan Wesson making them for High Standard. As the guy above stated it's odd they'd redesign the lock work due to the fact the Dan Wesson lock work is excellent and superior to most others. I will try to find out more.

BADSBSNF81
April 2, 2009, 10:53 PM
Spacek's book "Hi-Standard Pistols & Revolvers 1951-1984" references the Dan Wesson connection.

The original name was to be Valkyrie.

warnerwh
April 3, 2009, 01:13 PM
Hopefully this will shed some light on the subject. This from the Notpurfect website:

The new company initially had no production facilities. Production of the early guns was contracted out to the High Standard company. Eventually, Dan Wesson moved to it's own facilities located in a converted public school, located in Monsoon Massachusetts. This was a modern facility, for it's day, and was able to produce high quality firearms at a relatively low cost. The shop was also owned and run by gun enthusiasts, and was small enough that innovation, and variety were fairly easy to accomplish. High Standard continued to produce the design under it's own name for a time. The High Standard revolver had the styling, including the crane mounted cylinder latch, and the lockwork of the Dan Wessons, but without the interchangeable barrel feature. A large framed revolver was latter produced by High Standard, under the name of the Crusader. Though it's styling was quite different, the lockwork showed some of the influence of the Dan Wesson series.

At the Dan Wesson forum there's a guy who who posted this:

I don't know about the 44, but a friend of mine in 1985 had a High Std in 357mag and his barrel interchanged with my 15-6. His supposedly didn't have as removable nut, like the fixed barrel DW's, but it was loose when he bought it used so we went ahead and removed and checked the threads with mine; his barrel threaded on mine and my barrel nut worked on his, so I gave him a DW barrel nut and later he added a few DW barrels to his 6″ HS barrel. The HS barrel looked like a DW light unvented barrel except the front sight was fixed. The grips were interchangeable also.

hannwalker
March 9, 2010, 10:56 PM
I worked for High Standard Sporting Firearms in East Hartford, CT. I was one of the assemblers of the Crusader. We actually had to file some of the pieces to make the action smooth when pulling the trigger. It was a time consuming job to fit the pieces like gears perfectly or it wouldn't work and the trigger would lock up.The Crusader figure was the last thing to be put onto the plate before shipping after the blueing process. They were beautiful when completed!

unspellable
March 10, 2010, 09:17 PM
I knew of a connection between High Standard and Dan Wesson. How ever the two Crusaders I saw (matched pair) didn't look like they owed anything to DW. On the outside the looked much more like a S&W while I understood the lock work to be unlike ANY other revolver.

If you enjoyed reading about "HIGH STANDARD CRUSADER 44 Mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!