Old commercial colt in local shop worth 950?

PDA

Master Blaster
March 12, 2007, 08:11 AM
The other day I was in my local shop and saw a used colt for $950,

Its a fairly old commercial model I believe, It had all the original features, one would expect including a checkered wide spur hammer, and a lanyard ring mainspring housing with no checkering or seration, smooth IIRC.

The serial number was easy to remember C6000, based on the serial number can anyone tell me its age and if it shows a little wear on the finish near the muzzle (polished Blue)if its worth $950, I dont think it has any box or papers.

BTW thay also had a second generation, I think, Colt woodsman match target on consignment from the same person for $750.

Thanks

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Old commercial colt in local shop worth 950?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RS2
March 12, 2007, 08:33 AM

deadin
March 12, 2007, 09:10 AM
If the condition is as you said and all parts are original, I would think it should be well worth the $950.00.

Master Blaster
March 14, 2007, 09:56 AM
I am putting this back up in the hope of hearing from somone who collects old 1911s Like Tuner or Fuff, I woudl really like to know what to look for, I have checked Auction Arms, Gunbroker, etc and the price seems Ok or even maybe low, but none of the old colts there with outrageous asking prices, had sold.

So Guys what should I look for ?

Thanks

Lone Star
March 14, 2007, 10:12 AM
Ask this at www.1911.com in the Colt or GI sections.

The price is low to average, if the gun is in nice shape, and a civilian example, at that.

The mainspring housing not being checkered or serrated is one way to tell that it's a M-1911 style, not the later M1911A-1. Those are military terms; Colt just called civilian guns the Government Model, for both styles.

Lone Star

BigG
March 14, 2007, 10:19 AM
Make sure it is not reblued or altered. If it looks too good, it may be. A gun of that vintage in fine original shape would be well above $1,000. If in next to perfect condition, it would be two or three x that.

Contrast: a reblue or altered gun is a shooter. $500 max. YMMV

Nickotym
March 14, 2007, 12:22 PM
Ask this at www.1911.com in the Colt or GI sections.

I think LoneStar might be thinking of www.m1911.org (http://www.m1911.org)or www.1911forum.com (http://www.1911forum.com)

Regards,

Nick

Lone Star
March 14, 2007, 06:43 PM
Aaargh! Yes, it's www.1911forum.com
Lone Star

Master Blaster
March 15, 2007, 02:50 PM
Went back and liooked at it today, It was a real 1911, not an A1,

But the barrel had been replaced with a parkerized GI contract barrel, the front and rear sight had been replaced, Somone had hacked on the trigger face with a file.

And the entire gun had been reblued, a very nice job, but not worth $950.

It would make a good retro shooter, for 4-500, the owner had it on consignment and is a bullseye pistol smith, he was firm about his price.

BigG
March 16, 2007, 09:01 AM
Those second looks get you, every time. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Old commercial colt in local shop worth 950?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!