M1 Garand /info/quiz/ans/long

PDA

eclancy
June 9, 2003, 11:53 AM
Hi all,
We all know that Earl McFarland was the Commanding Officer at SA twice. Major Earl McFarland was in Command from Aug. 8, 1923 to June 17, 1924 and again as Colonel, from June 11, 1942 to July 31, 1943. Here's the quiz. What was his rank in 1938 and what was his Dept., i.e. Infantry, Cavalry, etc.,
This one should give you some work to do.
Thanks again
Clancy
Hi all,
The answer to the above quiz is a really hard one. Between the World Wars promotion in the Regular Army Officer Corps came very slowly and was used very correctly. If you were a “Light Bird” you were called, in orders or letters, Lt. Col. So if you received a letter from a Col., you knew he was a “Full Bird.” The same is true of the General Officer’s ranks. You just didn’t say General so—and—so, you stated his rank. One star was for a Brigadier General, two stars was a Major General, three stars was a Lt Gen., and four stars was a Full General, or just General. Many of these Officers knew each other. Those who didn’t had heard of these Officers. Now to the point of the Quiz: An Ordnance file dated Oct. 4, 1938, shows that Earl McFarland is a Brigadier General in rank, and also is Acting Chief of Ordnance. The file doesn’t say acting Brigadier General, which could be correct, but just Brigadier General and Acting Chief of Ordnance. As we know he drops back in rank later. My guess is that he was the SOP (which stands for “Senior Officer Present”), then given the rank and made ‘Acting Chief of Ordnance.’ It’s not a brevet rank, one issued for gallantry on the battlefield. I have put the file on my site at:
http://www.garandm1rifle.com
Then hit McFarland. It will take you just to that file.
So you guys can see and read the file.
I hope this data helps.
Thanks again
Clancy

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Garand /info/quiz/ans/long" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Garand /info/quiz/ans/long" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!