Old ART-MPC Mount (M1A) Q

PDA

Grump
June 9, 2003, 01:40 PM
I have an early '80s vintage aluminum scope mount for the M1A which screws to the receiver and to a threaded strip clip guide. Works okay, etc.

My question is whether I would lose anything by milling a slot in its underside so I could then use the iron sights. Looks like a 1/4-inch square channel would do it. The rail to be milled is about six inches long.

Mount-to-receiver stability appears solid because of the steel inserts which lock into the receiver grooves. My concern is flexing in the rail portion. Any insights?

If you enjoyed reading about "Old ART-MPC Mount (M1A) Q" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve Smith
June 9, 2003, 01:45 PM
1/4" channel is a lot of steel. If you plan to use QD rings the clamping force could cause issues. Not having an ART this is just a guess.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
June 10, 2003, 09:49 AM
Since original ART-MPC mounts are fairly rare why don't you have a look at B-Square's products. They make a mount for M1A/M14's.

http://www.b-square.com/

Are you using an ART II or MPC scope on this thing? If so, I don't think you'd gain anything by modifying the mount and would stand to lose structural integrity as well as value.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Grump
June 10, 2003, 11:31 AM
1. The part I'm talking about is aluminum.

2. The area that could be milled is on the bottom. The Weaver rail is another 1/4-inch above the top of where the channel would be. Clamping stresses are not implicated.

Imagine a square the width of a Weaver rail. Then extend it forward to make a solid box. That whole portion is a one-piece unit with the 1/4-inch thick vertical portion that attaches to the receiver.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus: The ART-MPC cradle and etc. are and would remain unchanged. There is no maker stamped on the mount itself, but the guy who sold me the scope later located the mount and said it was built for the MPC unit.

The whole thing sits rather high--Scope is about 2.75 inches above the centerline of the bore.

If you enjoyed reading about "Old ART-MPC Mount (M1A) Q" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!