Kahr CW9 or CW40?

PDA

todd-45
March 13, 2007, 07:52 PM
I've decided to make another purchase and I've decided to go with a Kahr because of its size and its plain appearance. I've read several articles and looked at both at a local pawn shop a friend runs. The 9 and the 40 have the same capacity so is there an advantage to one over the other?

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr CW9 or CW40?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ala Dan
March 13, 2007, 09:53 PM
Same capacity, Confucious say "Go with the larger caliber"~!

I say 9m/m (NATO) ammo is more readily available; even in some
third world countries. ;) :D

wally
March 13, 2007, 09:54 PM
.40S&W makes a bigger hole, 9mm is much cheaper to shoot with FMJ practice ammo. OTOH, .40S&W usually has "police surplus" LEO packaged premium JHP a good bit cheaper than you can find in 9mm or .45ACP. For example, CDNN recently had 180gr Winchester Ranger-T JHP for $12.99/50, you are doing good to find premium JHP in 9mm for much under $20/50.

I often carry a PM40 (a bit smaller) and practice with a CW9. I'm happy with my Kahr guns, they've given good service to me (my CW9 was bad initially, they rebuilt it and it been fine since).

--wally.

TC-TX
March 13, 2007, 11:02 PM
Stock Capacities are NOT the same...

CW-9 = 7+1
CW-40 = 6+1

CW-9 - Cheaper to practice with and +1 on the capacity...

CW-40 - Bigger Hole

Hmmmm.......

Buy 'em BOTH!

todd-45
March 14, 2007, 06:48 AM
Buy 'em BOTH!

Now there's an idea.

My buddy at the Pawn Shop looked in the book yesterday and it said the capacities were the same. Maybe they're not.
I guess my question is would the gun be any more reliable in either caliber, function better, etc.
He has the .40 in the case but would have to order a 9 since he personally bought it.

TC-TX
March 14, 2007, 09:50 AM
I prefer to go to the source for accurate information... :)

CW9 Spec Sheet (see below)

CW40 Spec Sheet (see below)

RARELY are capacities on a common platform the same for 9mm and .40S&W... (because of the physical size difference in the cartridges).

IMO - in your case I believe it comes down to experience and preference.

I own and Carry BOTH (both in the P Series) and I LOVE THEM BOTH. BOTH are spot on reliable AND have a butter-smoooooooth trigger.

I carry them in a UBG Slider I IWB holster (an INCREDIBLY Well Made Custom Holster that I rate above EVERYTHING Else Out there!!!) and it is VERY lightweight, comfortable and Pleasant Carry!!!

If you are not well versed in carrying and shooting a DAO Carry weapon, I suggest getting the 9mm first, as you will practice more (cost of ammo) and you can have one additional round in capacity. The recoil on the 9 is less than the .40 as well.

Learn to master the trigger on the 9mm and then move up to the .40 when you feel the need for the larger caliber...

innerpiece
March 23, 2007, 02:21 AM
Ive got a CW9. never fired a CW40.

the 9 is great to handle, lightweight, accurate, reliable, and easily concealable.
Im more than happy with mine.

Im also overly impressed with my Taurus PT111ssp MilPro. a bit more to carry than the Kahr, 12+1 rds tho aswell, still one of the most compact, best pistols Ive fired in 9mm.

The CW9 and PT111MilPro are my top choices for compact 9's.

as to 40 vrs 9mm.. that entirely up to you, and youre experience.
Im happy with what I have!

ip.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr CW9 or CW40?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!